As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Foolproof is a certified mushroom expert! Ask him your questions in the [Food] thread

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    BUGS!!!
    FTaierV.jpg
    Soon there will be a lovely chowder of the Nova Scotian sort

• Options
    .. Registered User, ClubPA regular
    This thread specifically (and probably the Bad Food one) needs a "Shut up and put it my face!" reaction option.

Gimme stuff. Please. And I don't just mean my Secret Satan.
  • Options
    OuhmkaR.jpg

A lovely chowder of the Nova Scotian sort

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Got a lovely recipe of the Nova Scotian sort?

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Haha uh yes allow me to expose my ineptitude

The stock is a big deal, I really like the Knorr stuff that comes as a gel for chicken and beef but I've never tried a packaged seafood stock. What I used this time was the shells of four regular sized lobsters, 1.5-2 pounders, but I've also used a big mess of shrimp shells and had a great stock come out. Kill lobbies, boil em, shuck the meat out. Chuck the shells into your big old stew pot with a couple bulbs of garlic and some chunked up celery and a few bay leaves, then nearly submerge them in three parts water one part white wine. Also drink the wine. Reduce about...half the volume? Something like that. You need to take a bit more care straining it than you would with a turkey carcass or similar, wee bits of shell get knocked off the lobbies.

I ended up using about half the meat I got out of the bugs and froze the rest. You get that reddish orange colour from sauteing the lobster meat in butter, I just separate it by hand into agreeable chunks or you can slice it if you're feeling fastidious. Keep drinking.

Dice up a couple regular size white onions and a couple celery stalks, chuck em in a pan with butter and salt/pepper until the celery has softened up a bit. Peel, chop and boil a couple potatoes until they're still pretty firm, then drain them and throw them in your big stew pot with the onions and celery and butter and lobster meats, do some carrots up like the taters and throw them in too. Cover them with your stock and simmer until you've got the vegetables to a little firmer than the firmness you prefer, then add your fish. I like a lot of fish in my chowder so I used four large haddock fillets, I like to lay them in whole rather than chop them up. Simmer until the fish starts to flake. I chucked a half dozen scallops in at that point also.

Once all that's done in goes one can of Carnation milk and a cup of heavy cream, I used whipping cream. Let it percolate a while and it's good to go!

Hobnail on
  • Options
    that sounds incredible

• Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Had some friends over for dinner last night and made broccoli cheddar soup:

ilBj3gk.jpg?1

We also had, er... "kale"sadillas on the side:

ugpHBu1.jpg?1

xet8c.gif

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I have a soup question for you. Today we made lemon rice soup and it was great...until we added the rice. The rice just soaked everything up, but the receipe didn't say anything about precooking the rice, and some of the recipies I've said specifically not to...so what am I doing wrong? Adding too much?

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I have a soup question for you. Today we made lemon rice soup and it was great...until we added the rice. The rice just soaked everything up, but the recipe didn't say anything about precooking the rice, and some of the recipes I've said specifically not to...so what am I doing wrong? Adding too much?

I'm certainly no chef, but I know some recipes with rice will be intended to turn out pretty liquid light (because the rice just soaked up all that flavorful liquid as it cooked.) I'd say check against a picture of the finished product, if that's an option. If it's not, and you like the taste of the dish, maybe add more of whatever the base liquid is next time you make it or try with semi-precooked or fully precooked rice. (Though, I'd suggest trying that kind of experimenting with smaller batches, if the recipe can be cut down by half or even a quarter and still have the same portions.)

Doing a little bit of reading on this kind of confirms what I was already thinking. In that the longer the rice takes to cook, the more liquid it will absorb. So I'd imagine that soaking uncooked rice overnight or using instant or precooked rice would tend to reduce the amount of liquid absorbed. Ultimately, someone more knowledgeable in cooking than I should feel free to weigh in (Please.) I'm only speaking from the experience of seeing (and helping prepare) an old family recipe for meatball and rice soup, made with chicken broth stock. The way the recipe has been tweaked over the years, it comes out more of a porridge-thickness than anything else. And that recipe uses uncooked long-grain rice that's just been soaked in cold water overnight, added to the boiling pot and then left to simmer for a while. And yeah, that rice just soaks up the liquid.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I have a soup question for you. Today we made lemon rice soup and it was great...until we added the rice. The rice just soaked everything up, but the receipe didn't say anything about precooking the rice, and some of the recipies I've said specifically not to...so what am I doing wrong? Adding too much?

It's either the amount or the type, different types (short/long/jasmine/basmati being the big categories) are going to absorb different amounts. But yea, you know the path, less rice next time.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Roasted brussel sprouts, sauteed mushrooms with garlic, chives, taragon, and thyme.

All next to a perfect medium rare steak served with a blue cheese onion sauce. The sauce is....my god.

This is how you decompress from a shit day.

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular

Have some hot stock or water on hand (whatever you used for the liquid base of your soup) and when the rice is cooked add it into your soup to get it to the consistency you desire before serving.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    @Bucketman were you making avgolemono? I make that semi-regularly and I always precook the rice; I just precook it in broth so it is flavorful. Unless I'm using leftover rice, I also don't cook it all the way through.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Today is baked beans day. They've been cooking since 11:30 and now it's 16:20

3 types of beans (butter, cannelini, black-eye), block pancetta, molasses, good tomatoes, a little lemon for acidity, seasoned with bay, pepper, cumin, fennel, and a little chicken stock to make up the liquid quotient.

I keep getting up and trying to do small household tasks in a distracted and inefficient way in order to try and stop myself from "checking" them again NO V1M THEY'RE DOING FINE JUST WAIT TILL DINNER TIME LEAVE THE BEANS ALONE WHAT IS EVEN WRONG WITH YOU?

• Options
    What a coincidence - I made baked beans today too!

9xLFqFw.jpg?1

I got this dutch oven as a gift for New Years so it was a great way to test it out

xet8c.gif

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    If you have a significant other, the beans will help you give them a Dutch oven later.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    If you have a significant other, the beans will help you give them a Dutch oven later.

It has been a somewhat turbulent night.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    I made this for my wife and she seemed to enjoy it, especially since I'm the one that infected her with the crud. I'm sure other people have post similar recipies, but here is the one I've been using.

Chicken Noodle Soup

2.5 lbs of thighs and/or drumsticks
    8 carrots (cut into 1/4 slices)
    8 stalks of celery (cut into 1-inch pieces)
    2 small onions (one cut into eighths, the other diced)
    1 leek (cut into half moon shapes)
    3 cloves of smashed garlic
    2 bay leaves
    handful of fresh parsley
    handful of fresh thyme
    handful of fresh tarragon
    peppercorns (10-20)
    salt (to taste, start at 2 tsp)
    egg noodles (1 lb)
    1 gallon filtered water
    8qt stock pot
    strainer and bowl that work well together (4+ qt, bigger is better for the bowl)

Place the chicken, half of the carrots, half of the celery, the onion cut into eighths, the leek, the garlic, the bay leaves, the parsley, the thyme, the tarragon, the salt, and the water into the stock pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat until the stock is simmering. Simmer for about 1.5 hours. The chicken meat should easily pull away from the bone. If it doesnt, cook until it does. Once the chicken meat pulls away from the bone, remove the chicken from the stock, remove the skin, debone it, and shred the meat. Place the meat off to the side. Strain the stock, reserving the liquid. Add the stock back to the stock pot, add the remaining vegetation, and simmer until the vegetables are just starting to become tender. Add the chicken meat back to the stock pot, and cook for another 5-10 minutes. Prepare the egg noodles according to the directions on the bag. I recommend keeping the noodles and soup separate until just prior to consumption.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    V1m wrote: »
    Today is baked beans day. They've been cooking since 11:30 and now it's 16:20

3 types of beans (butter, cannelini, black-eye), block pancetta, molasses, good tomatoes, a little lemon for acidity, seasoned with bay, pepper, cumin, fennel, and a little chicken stock to make up the liquid quotient.

I keep getting up and trying to do small household tasks in a distracted and inefficient way in order to try and stop myself from "checking" them again NO V1M THEY'RE DOING FINE JUST WAIT TILL DINNER TIME LEAVE THE BEANS ALONE WHAT IS EVEN WRONG WITH YOU?

Guess what happened all day today?

• Options
    you were full of vitamins, protein, and fiber?

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I think everyone has a friend who is always posting photos of what they're eating. I don't really have an issue with it, because hey, people like showing what they cooked! I do it sometimes too!

I have a friend on Facebook, though, who doesn't just post food he cooked or food at restaurants. He also posts pictures of his fast food. And he just posted a photo of his microwaveable steamed mussel tray. I feel this is a bridge too far.
    I'm being hyperbolic of course, but it does strike me as a bit silly.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Microwaveable seafood seems like a really rocky road to tread

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I just made some really nice steaks.

Mmmm so juicy.

• Options
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I was too busy eating it too take a picture.

I'm sorry :(

They were just some ribeyes made using alton brown's pan searing method.

And I forgot black pepper.

But they were pretty tasty still.

• Options
    Folks are coming into town on Friday. "Let's just do dinner at your place when we get into town!"

Right. Ok. So I'm a pretty good cook. I can do this.

"Has Dad gotten better?"

"Yes!"

"Oh?"

"Well, he doesn't like cauliflower, or brussel sprouts...neither of us care for spicy foods. He still doesn't eat fish. I make a lot of chicken so don't do that...."

And that list went on and on. So I'm thinking cauliflower mash, because he'll get over it. Roasted broccoli should be ok. And maybe just doing up some steaks.

Kinda wanted to branch out for them, but...yea.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    swap out the cauli mash for celeriac mash?

Steak is always safe.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Make em a nice cool glass of water.

Cook whatever you want for yourself.

• Options
    I'm thumbing through my Momofuku book and another called "Eat Mexico" as I type this.

I may find a few things to riff on. And while the old man doesn't dig on cauliflower, I can make it a mash and it'll pass muster. Why? Butter and half and half.

If I do steak I'm likely going to sous vide it. 1) because then I don't have to fuck around in the kitchen too much and 2) because it'll creep the old man out.

• Options
    I think this is my first time using the oven in my new place to do more than reheat something? made chicken kiev with dill potatoes

df8sjd3atnhh.jpg

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Are those are purple potatoes and not beets?

• Options
    Made broccoli beef last night:

9vUPQ8v.jpg?1

xet8c.gif

• Options
    Are those are purple potatoes and not beets?

Yep

• Options
    .. Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Wow. I thought they were beets, as well. I have never seen purple potatoes hold color like that after cooking. Looks great.

Gimme stuff. Please. And I don't just mean my Secret Satan.
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I had braised elk at a fancy Vancouver restaurant last night and it was exquisite

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I have a pretty simple and quick dal (lentil) recipe that I cook up. It's modified from a recipe I found online. It's roughly like this:

1 T. olive oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 cloves chopped garlic
    1 T. finely chopped fresh ginger
    4 cups water or vegetable broth or some combination thereof
    1 cup dried red lentils, rinsed and picked over
    1 1/2 T. curry powder (adding pepper/chili pepper/red pepper, salt, cumin, etc. to taste)
    1 small can (I believe 4 oz) tomato paste
    Optional: 1 packet of frozen spinach (the ones in the freezer currently are 10 oz)

Preparation:

1. In medium-sized soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the onion, garlic and ginger.
    Cook, stirring often, until the onions are translucent, about 6 minutes.

2. Stirring constantly, add the water or broth, lentils, and spices.
    Bring to a low boil, then turn down the heat to low, cover and let the soup simmer for about 20 minutes, or until lentils are very tender.
    If adding spinach, throw it in around the 10-15 minute mark and add a couple minutes to the 20 minute count.

3. Stir in the tomato paste until well combined. Cook several minutes more, or until the soup is desired temperature and consistency, adding more water to the dal if needed (usually not needed for me.)

I serve on rice (I have a rice cooker) and often will get plain yogurt to add on top. It gives me a lot of leftovers that I can reheat for lunch on workdays and the dal freezes very well so it can be kept for much later.

Doesn't look like much but with brown rice it's a good amount of fiber which I'm trying to get more of in my diet. Vegetarian too, even vegan if I leave out the yogurt.

• Options
    If you add a little diced aubergine (eggplant) in with the liquid, it will dissolve and add some good flavour as well as a really nice texture.

Another nice thing to do with dal is to use 2 different lentils, so you get a variation in the texture. I like a green lentil dal with some yellow (channa) lentils as well. The different lentils have subtly different flavours as well.

• Options
    @Mayabird ,

How thick is that recipe? Is it like a soup or more like a goulash?

• Options
    You can make your dal pretty much any consistency between "moderately thick soup" to "sliceable". I generally prefer mine around risotto/mac-and-cheese consistency.

PS leftover cold green lentil dal is pretty nice the next day spread onto hot buttered toast.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    When I first make it, it's thick soup. Reheated, it's more like mac-and-cheese.

I use red lentils because they cook up the fastest but others probably work fine too.