As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Foolproof is a certified mushroom expert! Ask him your questions in the [Food] thread

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I don't even like Shrimp, but this picture of Ethiopian Curry Shrimp from my favorite local place, Soup Spoon Cafe, is making me rethink that

12729167_980002598701951_8989583911501918375_n.jpg?oh=3e9c674d19b82cbc9aef54dd48b8ee57&oe=5723354D

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I just opened three cans of pre-boiled cannellini beans, and because I'm the goddamn chef I decided to have some while I cooked.

They taste... weird. The best way I can describe it is a hint of fermentation to the taste. Not all of them, but I had already poured them together so there's no way of telling the bad can from the good ones.

Well, bullet dodged but dinner plans shattered, time to plan something new. Into the trash they go, and here's hoping the two I had don't cause me any surprises later on.

Vic on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    We found a place about an hour away with discounted meat.

We got: 20 lbs of chicken breasts, 5 lbs of bottom roast, 4 lbs of ground beef, 5 lbs of bacon, a pound of breakfast sausage, and 8 pounds of potatoes for $60. Which is CRAZY cheap.

Last week I made some great crock pot french onion soup and man, I love some soup.

What are you guy's favorite soup recipes?

@Bucketman where did you find this bulk meat so cheap? I have family back home that would be willing to make the drive for those prices.

http://www.lowerysmeatandgrocery.com/

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    We found a place about an hour away with discounted meat.

We got: 20 lbs of chicken breasts, 5 lbs of bottom roast, 4 lbs of ground beef, 5 lbs of bacon, a pound of breakfast sausage, and 8 pounds of potatoes for $60. Which is CRAZY cheap.

Last week I made some great crock pot french onion soup and man, I love some soup.

What are you guy's favorite soup recipes?

@Bucketman where did you find this bulk meat so cheap? I have family back home that would be willing to make the drive for those prices.

http://www.lowerysmeatandgrocery.com/

I had a feeling it was Lowery's. It was half way between home and where I worked, so it was a frequent stop.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    God damn those are some good food prices. 50 lbs of potatoes for 8 bucks? Steak for 3 bucks? I wish we had one of those near me!

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    :whistle:So excited, gonna cook a steak, gonna burn a steak, gonna get depressed:whistle:

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Got some tri-tip for $5/lb. Put a lemon pepper rub on it and then cooked on the Treager for about 2.5 hours. Tasty tasty tasty.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Cooked some steaks last night for the missus and I.

They were a lot thinner than I am used to and they ended up coming out overcooked.

DANG

They still tasted great, though!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I cooked for the lab last night. It was a recipe that I hadn't actually tested properly, though it was pretty foolproof. It turned out totally fine, but I immediately thought of three or four ways to improve it, and now I'm bummed because I mostly only cook for myself, so when I do get it perfectly right, nobody will know.

...anyone want to swing by so I can force spicy Mexican chipotle stew on them?

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Hangover Party Sandra probably couldn't handle spicy stew, but like, tomorrow?

Here's the thing I made for my John! He is the best and he loves cheesecake so, cheesecake with charred rhubarb compote and strawberries.

iwMUPmDl.jpg

The filling turned out perfectly, as did the compote! The crust obviously was not quite stable enough on that one side.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    sandra if you ever come near the north east I will fucking take the stew to you.

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    So I tend to buy my bacon from Costco and usually it's pretty great.

However, this last batch I bought is like 98% tasteless. I've never had bacon this tasteless, it's like biting into something that should taste like bacon, but it doesn't. It tastes like nothing.

How/why does tasteless bacon happen?

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    minirhyder wrote: »
    So I tend to buy my bacon from Costco and usually it's pretty great.

However, this last batch I bought is like 98% tasteless. I've never had bacon this tasteless, it's like biting into something that should taste like bacon, but it doesn't. It tastes like nothing.

How/why does tasteless bacon happen?

Misfire on the brine injection machine.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I finally got some dry-cured bacon a while back, and oh man, it's so much better than wet-cured bacon. Not that wet-cured bacon is really bad, but dry cured doesn't curl up nearly as much in the pan.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, I took my apple and bacon out of the brine bag on sunday and cooked it (I don't have a smoker) despite issues with temperature accuracy. Everywhere said cook it between1.5-2 hours, but my oven probe said it hit temperature way earlier, I think it gave bad readings due to the thinness of the meat. The bacon came out aces though.

Now I just need an excuse to eat bacon non-stop.

• Options
    the excuse is, it's bacon

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I took my apple and bacon out of the brine bag on sunday and cooked it (I don't have a smoker) despite issues with temperature accuracy. Everywhere said cook it between 1.5-2 hours, but my oven probe said it hit temperature way earlier, I think it gave bad readings due to the thinness of the meat. The bacon came out aces though.

Now I just need an excuse to eat bacon non-stop.

Bacon is pretty high in protein so if you eat like a kilogram of it every day, soon you will have giant beefy muscles like a bodybuilder!

• Options
    Attempt 2: chocolate-chicken chocolomo

tumblr_o3e7i58dkX1rir1ybo1_540.jpg

verdict: possibly too much chocolate? Tests will continue.

• Options
    "too much chocolate"?

There's no such thing!

• Options
    guys
    if you ever come to a party at my house I'm gonna warn you about two things

1: I will be making this dish

povdb4642s97.jpg

twice cooked salted crispy chicken with bandit dipping sauce

ows2bh3ensu3.jpg

(bandit sauce)

2: you may need to bring your own box of tissues/safe room/burial urn because this stuff just made my tastebuds try and escape through the roof of my mouth.

• Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    I made (vegan!) sloppy joes for dinner tonight:

WbGRhYp.jpg?1

Turns out lentils make for a most acceptable substitute

xet8c.gif

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking of making an oxtail stew with cinnamon and licorice root. Maybe some beer or white wine. Had much success with the cinnamon alone last time, but I think the licorice could raise the goddamn bar and the roof at once.
    tynic wrote: »
    guys
    if you ever come to a party at my house I'm gonna warn you about two things

1: I will be making this dish

snip

twice cooked salted crispy chicken with bandit dipping sauce

snipsnip

(bandit sauce)

2: you may need to bring your own box of tissues/safe room/burial urn because this stuff just made my tastebuds try and escape through the roof of my mouth.

Oh god, spices and something green. It's been so long. I'm calling the airline with two phones.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I'm sick at home so I made myself some potato soup. Only problem is I don't know if it's actually kinda bland or if I just can't taste anything.

bz0g8h7zdhey.jpg

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    looks good, though!

I hope you feel better!

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I've never had meatloaf before, so I tried out a recipe for it tonight.
    It's cooking now along with some baked potatoes.

• Options
    I think sometime next week I'm going to try and make some beef wellington. I think I'm ready

• Options
    I think sometime next week I'm going to try and make some beef wellington. I think I'm ready

I tried doing it with individual steaks and it turned out great. It seems really intimidating on paper but it's actually not the most difficult thing to prepare. You can do it!

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I should have started this earlier, I just hadn't paid much attention to the recipe to notice it took like an hour and a half of cooking.

• Options

I tried doing it with individual steaks and it turned out great. It seems really intimidating on paper but it's actually not the most difficult thing to prepare. You can do it!

What cut/size did you use?

• Options

Eye of round I think? I'm gonna be honest, I often confuse steak cuts. They were like palm sized and circular cuts.

• Options

Eye of round I think? I'm gonna be honest, I often confuse steak cuts. They were like palm sized and circular cuts.

Sounds like what is called eye filet in Australia. Small steaks, but very VERY soft and fairly tasty.

• Options

Sounds like what is called eye filet in Australia. Small steaks, but very VERY soft and fairly tasty.

The ones I used weren't particularly soft or tough, but in a nice middle ground, and had a very beefy flavor.

• Options
    AngelinaAngelina Registered User regular
    My friend has just gone from vegetarian to vegan and so I'd like any recipe suggestions for brownies? There are tons out there online, with many arguments about how much oil to put in etc. I could spend the next month until I see her experimenting with recipes, but then I'm going to eat all the brownies I make and possibly explode. Or any cake recipes?

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Angelina wrote: »
    My friend has just gone from vegetarian to vegan and so I'd like any recipe suggestions for brownies? There are tons out there online, with many arguments about how much oil to put in etc. I could spend the next month until I see her experimenting with recipes, but then I'm going to eat all the brownies I make and possibly explode. Or any cake recipes?

Do a search for the Regan Daley All In The Pan Chewy Chocolate Cake recipe. I'm not even vegan, but I still make that cake at least a couple times a year. It's a good chocolate cake that just happens to be vegan friendly. I'd been making it for years before realizing it qualified.

Skip the icing, imo. Or maybe make it and keep it on the side for anyone who wants to try it.

• Options
    AngelinaAngelina Registered User regular
    Thanks! I'll definitely give it a try!

• Options
    Oh man, yesterday I made some quick "pickled" beets and this morning they taste amazing. I only loosely followed a recipe I found online, adapting it as I went. Basically it went as follows:

Peel and parboil a few beets until they're just soft enough to stick a fork in them. Reserve about a cup of the boiling liquid. Cut those up into small slices. Crush 5 cloves of garlic and thinly slice about a quarter of a white onion. Slice up a smallish carrot into thin rings. Mix all these veggies together and place in a sealable container. Add about a half a tablespoon of sugar, a half tablespoon of salt, and a half tablespoon of black pepper to the mixed veggies, along with a bay leaf. Pour the cup of reserved beet liquid into the mixture, then top it off with white vinegar (about a cup, maybe 2, depending on the size of your container and veggies). Mix it all up again and cover, refrigerate for at least 12 hours.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Oh man I love even cheap supermarket pickled beetroot. I bet that home made stuff is glorious.

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I cooked for the lab last night. It was a recipe that I hadn't actually tested properly, though it was pretty foolproof. It turned out totally fine, but I immediately thought of three or four ways to improve it, and now I'm bummed because I mostly only cook for myself, so when I do get it perfectly right, nobody will know.

...anyone want to swing by so I can force spicy Mexican chipotle stew on them?

Could you force that recipe on me?

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots