As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Foolproof is a certified mushroom expert! Ask him your questions in the [Food] thread

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Soup was good!

But only add like half a cup rice. Cause one and a half just doesn't leave any liquid. At all. All gone.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Ah, crap...I need to get my hands on a jar of Bovril on the quick. Like...super quick.

Who's got a hookup?

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Can you not buy it in america?

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    Can you not buy it in america?

Turns out...nope.

Almost all of it is being imported from Canada or the UK directly. Getting it here in time for my competition is going to be nigh impossible. I've got a few LA based shops I'm going to call tomorrow, but I don't remain hopeful.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2016
    It's basically just beef stock, I don't think the substitution would be noticed.

edit: in fact looking at the ingredients, add a spoon of vegemite to beef stock and you'd probably nail it exactly. Or possibly marmite. Depends on the sugar percentage.

tynic on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I mean I could nip down to the shops and pick you one up but for twenty dollars shipping it'll take 2-4 days for forty bucks and for 1-2 that you are looking at 60-70 dollars.

Blake T on
  • Options
    tynic wrote: »
    It's basically just beef stock, I don't think the substitution would be noticed.

edit: in fact looking at the ingredients, add a spoon of vegemite to beef stock and you'd probably nail it exactly. Or possibly marmite. Depends on the sugar percentage.

Well, as it turns out...I have some of that. Excellent! I'll begin playing and find out what I come up with.

Blake - much appreciated, but yea..$60 for a bottle is nuts. And not really my kinda nuts.

• Options
    The other alternative is looking at Canadian amazon, they should be able to get it to you quicker and cheaper.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I'll be making this again ....

(Stuffed pork tenderloin)

Daaaamn that looks good.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    so, always one for adapting. I decided to take the leftover soup ( which is better desribed as rice pudding as the ri ce sucked up all the liquid) and turn it into mock creamy chicken and mushroom risotto.

a success was had!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »
    Okay food thread. I need some advice on breaking in my slow cooker.

I've decided to start cooking more, and I bought a great slow cooker to facilitate this. (It braizes, it has a nice auto timer that reverts to 'warm' after it runs out, removable inner pot that can go on the stovetop.. I've used it 4 times so far to somewhat mixed results.

1) I made white beans. I used my parents southern reciept which includes adding some roux, pickle meat, onion, and I included a hamsteak to make sure it got some good flavor....however it turned out kinda meh...the beans cooked fine, but they didnt absorb the flavor of the meat. This might have been due to ingredients as my pickle meat might have been freezer burned and did not fall apart like it should have. (I can't buy it here in cleveland, i have to smuggle it back frozen in my luggage whenever i visit home).

2) Pot roast... this one turned out pretty great. the cooker can braize in the pot, so i chopped an onion, braized the meat, cooked the onion a bit, added beef stock, cooked for 6 hours on high, meat falls apart, makes for great po-boys.

3) Onion chicken ... season chicken with black and red pepper, onion/garlic powder, salt...put in the cooker, add some water to cover the chicken, add packet of golden onion soup mix, cook about 4 hours. This came out okay but i shoulda added a few veggies.

4) Spagetti Chicken... pretty much number 3 except instead of onion soup, add a jar of your favorite brand of 'better then ragu' tomato sauce, some italian seasoning when cooked, shread the chicken, serve over noodles.

What should i try next.

Regardless of what you try, buy these:

51fuwodp2HL.SX500_SY209_CR,0,0,500,209_PIbundle-12,TopRight,0,0_SX500_SY209_CR,0,0,500,209_SH20_.jpg

These things make clean-up amazingly easy.

We had a cheap slow cooker that had a ceramic pot in it, and it was a piece of shit and always burned stuff to it. We got a new slow cooker which is WAY better, and it has an aluminium pot (that is "ceramic" non-stick coated) and it cooks everything perfectly and doesn't burn anything ever. The pot just rinses clean, even when I sear the chunks of meat in it on the stovetop prior to the slower cooking. (We still give it a once-over with the rest of the dish washing for hygeine purposes)

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I'll be making this again ....

(Stuffed pork tenderloin)

Daaaamn that looks good.

It was!

And surprisingly easy

Butterfly a tenderloin and smash it about a half inch thick.

Sauté mushrooms and garlic in a bit of EVOO and a quarter cup of sherry. Dump the mushrooms on the pork loin and roll it up. Stick it in the oven at 385 for about 45 minutes and you're good to go

I secured the loin with little skewers

• Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Invited friends over last night to celebrate my birthday, and made two great dishes:

uMIpadI.jpg?1
    Beef Roulades with Walnut Parsley Pesto

KsrRaXK.jpg?1
    Chickpea Potato Curry

Not only were they both delicious, but I was pleasantly surprised to discover how easy they were to make!

xet8c.gif

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Those both look delicious! Could you please post the recipe for the chickpea potato curry? I've been trying to get a curry dish under my belt, but haven't found one that works for me yet.

• Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Click the photo!

xet8c.gif

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2016
    Anyone know a good way to keep bread from going stale? Like there is nothing quite like freshly baked bread, but it gets stiff in like two days and I'd rather not make bread for lunches every other day.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Anyone know a good way to keep bread from going stale? Like there is nothing quite like freshly baked bread, but it gets stiff in like two days and I'd rather not make bread for lunches every other day.

two days is pretty damn quick. How are you storing it? What kind of bread?

if I don't think I'm gonna eat a whole loaf within five days I'll freeze half of it. But that's more for mould than staleness.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Made my first ever sushi last night. Was pretty damn tasty, even if the seaweed that we got was tougher than old boots.

Made the classic japanese combo of avocado and smoked salmon.

CJaEzXF.jpg

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    I mean I could nip down to the shops and pick you one up but for twenty dollars shipping it'll take 2-4 days for forty bucks and for 1-2 that you are looking at 60-70 dollars.

Bovril just isn't worth that much.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I've been hankering to make ful medammes for ages now, would a slow cooker work well for that?

Edit: I've decided that I can't see why it wouldn't, so I'm omw home with a bag of fava beans and some tahini. Further bulletins as events warrant!

V1m on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016

No joke, freezing bread rather than storing it in a breadbox or the fridge or a bag will solve this problem for you. Actually, bread states fastest when refrigerated - Harold McGee talks about it in On Food and Cooking:
    Staling proceeds most rapidly at temperatures just above freezing, and very slowly below freezing. In one experiment, bread stored in the refrigerator at 46F/7C staled as much in one day as bread held at 86F/30C did in six days. If you're going to use bread in a day or two, then store it at room temperature in a breadbox or paper bag, which reduces moisture loss while allowing the crust to remain somewhat crisp. If you need to keep bread for several days or more, then wrap it well in plastic or foil and freeze it.

He also covers how reheating reverses staling:
    As long as much of the water released by the starch granules remains in the surrounding gluten - that is, as long as the loaf isn't too old, or has been wrapped and frozen or refrigerated - staling can be reversed by heating the bread above the gelation temperature of wheat starch, 150F/60C. Once more the crystalline regions are disrupted, water molecules move in between the starch molecules, and the granules and amylose gels become tender again. This is why toasting sliced bread makes the interior soft, and why a loaf of bread can be refreshed by heating it in the oven.

Especially when you buy from local bakeries that don't pack their bread with stuff specifically designed to prevent/delay staling, I find loaves go rock-hard or otherwise inedible if left out for more than a day or two. I ALWAYS rewrap my bread in foil and freeze it, either sliced already (if I'm lazy) or whole if I'm going to be serving or using a lot at once. Then I can just take the whole foil package out of the freezer and plop it in the oven at ~250 for about ten or fifteen minutes and it's virtually like new. I rinse and repeat this with whole loaves multiple times, too, without really any adverse effects.

Just be careful not to over-reheat your bread and turn it into accidental toast.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    I find frozen bread goes stale faster than bread outside, so I just leave it outside and occasionally have to throw out mouldy bread.

• Options
    Made Scotch Pies this weekend. Tasty. Ugly, but damn tasty.

Now tonight I'll give one more culinary experiment a shot and maybe have an idea as to what I'll be competing with on Sunday.

• Options
    DrZiplock wrote: »

Now tonight I'll give one more culinary experiment a shot and maybe have an idea as to what I'll be competing with on Sunday.

Did you know that the raised rim is to accommodate gravy or other more or less liquid accompaniment (mushy peas, mashed potatoes, neeps, etc) ?

• Options
    V1m wrote: »

Did you know that the raised rim is to accommodate gravy or other more or less liquid accompaniment (mushy peas, mashed potatoes, neeps, etc) ?

I did actually. But it appears that they don't HAVE to as these are very often eaten at matches and by hand.

I used a lamb mince (forgot gravy) but they were really rather tasty, all things considered. I could proudly offer them up, but would lose points on presentation because holy shit are they difficult to make look good.

Currently I'm planning a riff on a Beef Wellington. Sort of open face style utilizing tartare. That'll be tonight's efforts.

• Options
    Wellington was awesome.

Puff pastry that had been hallowed out from the top delivered coleman's mustard, crisped prosciutto, an herbed duxelle, and a tartare of filet.

Email to the group, "Hey, how many people coming require GF?"

"Little over half."

GOD
    DAMMIT

Now I'm thinking of leaving out the puff and simply using a ring to create a wellington tower, as it were.

• Options
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Just be more specific. "How many people actually require GF and how many people are just latching on to a fad?"

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    alternatively, now you only have to cook for half of them! :rotate:

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    If you're actually celiacs, eating anything at an event like that would be asking for trouble regardless of whether people are made aware of your dietary requirements. Too many opportunities for contamination.

Edit: basically tell anyone without a doctors note to eat around the damn pastry.

tynic on
  • Options
    Those that are there are legit.

These people are from Pennsylvania Dutch stock. If they could be eating bread/pies/donuts/dumplings/etc they would be. Generations of their collective families stand ready to shun them.

• Options
    Tower of raw meat it is!!

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    so I've discovered that caramelised onions, reduced down in some balsamic vinegar and copious amounts of cask wine goes really well with mashed sweet potato. Really nice flavour combination.

Been having it with Roo steaks, various other vege dishes (made it with some sauted oyster mushrooms and haloumi one time for my girlfriend), and most recently a really nice frittata.

This was the second time I made a frittata (first one was a bit sad, bland, and didn't have enough texture variation) with some grated courgette, and some chopped up carrot and green beans. Also chucked in just about every cheese I had in the fridge into the egg mix, with a bunch of parmesan, some feta and also some pesto. Also added some mint leaves because my mint plant is growing way too aggressively, and I've got to use it in everything I can.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Those that are there are legit.

These people are from Pennsylvania Dutch stock. If they could be eating bread/pies/donuts/dumplings/etc they would be. Generations of their collective families stand ready to shun them.

I don't know if you've looked at it, but there is almond puff pastry so you could do two groups one gluten free and one regular?

Blake T on
  • Options
    Oh yeah!

I made French onion soup on the weekend. I forget how deep you can get the flavours of the onions.

Then as a side, I got a french baguette and roasted some bones and had bread and marrow as the side.

Hilariously, I had to buy the bones from the pet food side of the butchers, but oh well.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Now your coat will be all sleek and shiny!

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Just be more specific. "How many people actually require GF and how many people are just latching on to a fad?"

One that has been actively disproven to be real.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    azith28 wrote: »
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

One that has been actively disproven to be real.

Uhh, no? There really are people that are gluten intolerant, not to mention Celiac's sufferers.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Wyborn genuinely has an issue with gluten and has done the medical tests to back that up. It is a pain in the ass and if he could he would scarf down a million burgers, pizzas, and like every bread in a ten mile radius.

It's not an insurmountable issue because we prepare so much food at home on our own, but going out to restaurants is fraught with excessive research. And baking at home... ehh, some recipes work, some don't.

Yes, there are some silly people who think that GF food is instantly "healthier"... some people assume that of my chocolate chip cookies and ahahahahaha

Thanks for mentioning almond puff pastry, @Blake T! I'll have to check it out.

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog