As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends] Worlds has started, keep spoilers in tags!

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Let's put it this way. When was the last time one of you said "You know, you really should have Poppy in your lineup."? Whereas most people would say "Yes, get Yasuo, he is -fun- and -effective-."

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    About a fortnight ago when Poppy beat the shit out of everyone in a pro game?

• Options
    MomoriMomori Registered User regular
    Zilean is actually numerically overwhelming at wierd intervals of the game... I hypothesize the entire champion is probably getting remade as we speak.

Oh but I actually came here to say:

New Soraka

• Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Soraka's E is just INSANELY good.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    The thing is, there are some champions that are great in SoloQ that will never see an LCS game.
    And there are some champions that are really only great if you have the teamwork and coordination of LCS team

And there are some people who base their decision of "Who is acceptable to play" based solely on who sees play in the LCS.

So you'll get "I'm going to play Riven mid because Faker played Riven mid", who've never played riven before. And they'll also go "Why the fuck would you play Nasus he's trash tier".

However

There are also sometimes very good reasons that champs aren't picked ever in the LCS. And sometimes the reasons are "They can be shut down with proper coordination", and sometimes the reason is "The pros just don't play them", and sometimes the reason is "Everything in LCS is a <=6 bloodbath, and you have to be strong there or able to safely farm up to late game, and then be an absolute terror", and sometimes the reason actually is just "This champion is in a really bad place right now".

The important question to ask is always "Why doesn't thins champion see LCS play"

• Options
    SampsenSampsen Aggressive Berserker Registered User regular
    übergeek wrote: »
    Let's put it this way. When was the last time one of you said "You know, you really should have Poppy in your lineup."? Whereas most people would say "Yes, get Yasuo, he is -fun- and -effective-."

Let's put it this way. When you tried playing Yasuo when he was free, did you enjoy it? Was Yasuo a champion you wanted to play more of?

Just play what you find fun, don't worry about what is popular or considered strong. All strong champions get nerfed, and weak ones will eventually be buffed or remade.

Sampsen_na_104_5_logo.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Momori wrote: »
    Oh but I actually came here to say:

New Soraka

In the same time span that it takes for Sona to heal her allies for 210 + 40% AP and for Nami to heal 185 + 30% AP , Soraka heals them for 1150 + 300% AP.

It's pretty hilarious.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Playing a champion purely because he is effective instead of fun is why there is garbage like Nunu still in the game.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Man, reworked Sion jungle looks fun as hell. Seems like going full tank and being an unstoppable choo choo train (his rank3 ult is like a 48 second cooldown with SotAG as the only CDR item) is the way to go.

RQWE, SotAG -> health tank items -> maybe buy Atma's Impaler last because you'll be pushing 6k health lategame

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Sampsen wrote: »

Let's put it this way. When you tried playing Yasuo when he was free, did you enjoy it? Was Yasuo a champion you wanted to play more of?

Just play what you find fun, don't worry about what is popular or considered strong. All strong champions get nerfed, and weak ones will eventually be buffed or remade.

Well yeah he's fun, but with my current play schedule it would take about 30 days just to save up for him. Which on it's own isn't bad, but when there's something like 6 that I would like to have, but I only play a limited amount of time as it is, that's 6 months for something I'd play once or twice a day (and sometimes just in bot matches).

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular

Well yeah he's fun, but with my current play schedule it would take about 30 days just to save up for him. Which on it's own isn't bad, but when there's something like 6 that I would like to have, but I only play a limited amount of time as it is, that's 6 months for something I'd play once or twice a day (and sometimes just in bot matches).

Is it worth it to you to drop a few bucks for a champion you enjoy? Because if that's the case, you are the precise target audience for people to buy RP in order to pay for champions.

• Options
    SampsenSampsen Aggressive Berserker Registered User regular
    I put enough time into this game that I have no problem dropping RP for skins and champs. I feel that many people refuse to buy RP because it's F2P and they feel 'wrong' about paying for something they could grind. I would rather have the champions and skins than feel like I have to grind. Grinding sucks, I would rather drop 20 dollars here and there.

Sampsen_na_104_5_logo.png
  • Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    Played a bit of FF jungle Kayle tonight. I struggled a bit early since their jungle was an invade happy Lee Sin. But eventually I got some items and dudes started melting.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    Playing a champion purely because he is effective instead of fun is why there is garbage like Nunu still in the game.
    Except Zilean is incredibly fun. He's even mechanically rewarding.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Rend wrote: »

Is it worth it to you to drop a few bucks for a champion you enjoy? Because if that's the case, you are the precise target audience for people to buy RP in order to pay for champions.

Not really. I've been in this since the beta, and nothing really jumped out at me that made me -want- to spend money. The whole Riot Point conversion thing, the way most of the roster just languishes (I'm very thankful that I didn't spend money on champs up to this point, otherwise I would have been pissed off so many times by now every time Morello took an Axe to someone that I spent real money on I would have been gone long ago), I think they reduced IP rewards twice since the game started to make it harder.

In that other game that I shall not name here, I've spent about $85 since May 2013. The best explanation I can give is that it was bundles of things that I perceived as a good value. That's only 11 of the 6300 champs. No skins at all (and some of those are really nice). The amount of stuff I got (and that I'm still getting from Compendium unlocks that aren't released yet) was worth well more than what I payed over the course of a year and a half, on top of the free drops that I can sell back......or if I decide to drop it entirely I'll make at least 20 bucks back that I can dump into games on Steam. My perception of value is probably skewed and I'm a terrible person, but really, if I linked the haul from what I spent there and put it up against 11 6300's, I don't think you'd blame me for liking one over the other.
    I put enough time into this game that I have no problem dropping RP for skins and champs. I feel that many people refuse to buy RP because it's F2P and they feel 'wrong' about paying for something they could grind. I would rather have the champions and skins than feel like I have to grind. Grinding sucks, I would rather drop 20 dollars here and there.

Ehh...in my case it's not so much a refusal, as a fear that I buy Yasuo (or any champ) today and a few weeks from now he's "tweaked" in such a way that he'd be a greater liability to my team than picking someone else. I might feel like he's worth 6300 right now this very second, but Morello -will- give me buyer's remorse, probably sooner rather than later.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    I never notice Zilean ults on me. Apparently they made the icons bigger in a recent patch? I wish there were also a really loud sound effect. Basically, it needs to be more like when Kayle says UNDYING and the target is sheathed in an *enormous* amber globe. It's just hard to see the little gold Zilean particles in the middle of a busy teamfight.

They changed it so your screen has a drastically different tint to it if you're ulted by Zilean, similar to when a champion enters stealth. It should be highly visible now but I can't say for sure because thankfully I never have to play with the Antichrist.

butts
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Playing a champion purely because he is effective instead of fun is why there is garbage like Fizz still in the game.

>:(

Orphane on
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »

I've never found that ZIlean mechanics are all that difficult, or rewarding. Now, the passive aggressive strategies you can use with himj are fairly unique, kindof like you don't play singed like "normal" champs either.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Busted out Quinn top for Ranked (after an embarrassing game where I got 100% owned by Garen top as Lulu, and also my team had no adc because duo bot--argrgrgh, had they told me that in advance I would have adc'ed top).
    So okay, to be honest, my opponent Olaf briefly disconnected after lvl 1 and came back a level or two down. But man...I bullied the crap out of him. At one point I checked our cs and it was 80 to 20. I could turn into a bird and roam mid and not remotely fear for my tower. Ended the game with me at 200 cs and him at 70; was excellent. I was really grateful to my teammates--one of them was like "um, can you get a knockup top? Or a tanky top?" and I was like "not really, I'm not great at tanks" and botlane was like "just let him play what he's comfortable with"--very kind of them--and it paid off.

Also I bought the Woad Quinn skin cause it kicks ass.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    woo silver 1...again! I'm almost afraid to play more games now since last time i hit silver 1 I managed to get some shall we say "special" people on my teams and was swiftly knocked back down to S2. But i want gold damnit!

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    Playing a champion purely because he is effective instead of fun is why there is garbage like Fizz still in the game.

>:(

Fizz is fun to play.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Joe K wrote: »

I've never found that ZIlean mechanics are all that difficult, or rewarding. Now, the passive aggressive strategies you can use with himj are fairly unique, kindof like you don't play singed like "normal" champs either.

The fact that some champions played rather differently than others used to be one of League's strengths; now a surprising number of people hate on a lot of those same champions for disrupting the game that all the others are tuned for. It's a weird thing to have watched evolve.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Bomb shenanigans are the entire reason to play Zilean from a fun persepective, imo. Nothing like turning your creep into a suicide bomber when the enemy goes in to last hit.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Bomb shenanigans are the entire reason to play Zilean from a fun persepective, imo. Nothing like turning your creep into a suicide bomber when the enemy goes in to last hit.

Bomb shenanigans are fun until the enemy team buys magic resist then you have a champ that cant do anything but ult a real carry.

• Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    Zilean is amazing and I've said as much all the way since S2.

I don't know why it's taken this long for him to become popular, but he's amazing. Just grab every blue, destroy your lane and then proceed to destroy all the others with your permanent mega movespeed.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    In my current (ranked) game, my LeBlanc got angry in chat and took teleport/revive. Let's see if that's the extent of his trolling.. (prob should have dodged).

edit: she suicided to the tower at lvl 1 and called us noobs the whole time, but otherwise was fine. My support dc'ed from lvls 2-7 so I just 1v2'ed Caitlyn and Thresh without dying and ending only 10 cs down by the time my support came back, at which point we got a double kill. Feels good.

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    NJWS vs All
    A perfect game! Crazy.

No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    Vic_Hazard wrote: »
    Zilean is amazing and I've said as much all the way since S2.

I don't know why it's taken this long for him to become popular, but he's amazing. Just grab every blue, destroy your lane and then proceed to destroy all the others with your permanent mega movespeed.

Mostly comes down to meta shifts and champion nerfs putting his kit in a favorable position.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    I feel like that clip also needs the accompanying twitch chat which is just

Ok
    Ok
    Ok
    ok
    ok

For 10 minutes

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Riot's matchmaking is as amazing as ever.
    oevtJq5.png

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Riot's matchmaking is as amazing as ever.
    oevtJq5.png
    Hey man that silver is going places.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    Managed to have a Shaco on my team and a Teemo on their team.

Went exactly as expected.

Why don't I listen to myself when I say "I'm going to take a ranked break"

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    okay so made it from silver 4 to silver 2 with vel koz

am i cheating

is this cheating?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular

am i cheating

is this cheating?
    No.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    And the 5/15 Jayce who refused to talk and stole all the buffs rounds out some ranked.

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular

Hehehe. I queued up for ranked the other day and people took all my roles. I told them in the chat. I told them. I don't play the mids. They took them anyway. I got a lot of practice on Yasuo that game. Also practice staring at the death screen.

In other news is anyone else super fucking exited? With the constant adc nerfs and trist commonly banned, I feel like Ez is finally viable for solo queue again.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    JAEF wrote: »

Hehehe. I queued up for ranked the other day and people took all my roles. I told them in the chat. I told them. I don't play the mids. They took them anyway. I got a lot of practice on Yasuo that game. Also practice staring at the death screen.

In other news is anyone else super fucking exited? With the constant adc nerfs and trist commonly banned, I feel like Ez is finally viable for solo queue again.

Is there a reason to pick Ez over, say, Corki?

I mean he's another Triforce ADC with a low-cd harassment ability(albeit at 6), who also can be super safe.

Khavall on
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    I feel sorry for you SR Ezreals then. In the last maybe 250 games I've played Ezreal in about 230~ of them.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

am i cheating

is this cheating?
    No.

it's just. . .so weird. you can really tell when i decided to try vel koz

123u00j.jpg

hint it's 10 days ago.

DasUberEdward on