As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends] Worlds has started, keep spoilers in tags!

• Options
    SampsenSampsen Aggressive Berserker Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Khavall wrote: »
    JAEF wrote: »
    Sampsen wrote: »
    übergeek wrote: »
    Let's put it this way. When was the last time one of you said "You know, you really should have Poppy in your lineup."? Whereas most people would say "Yes, get Yasuo, he is -fun- and -effective-."

Let's put it this way. When you tried playing Yasuo when he was free, did you enjoy it? Was Yasuo a champion you wanted to play more of?

Just play what you find fun, don't worry about what is popular or considered strong. All strong champions get nerfed, and weak ones will eventually be buffed or remade.
    Hehehe. I queued up for ranked the other day and people took all my roles. I told them in the chat. I told them. I don't play the mids. They took them anyway. I got a lot of practice on Yasuo that game. Also practice staring at the death screen.

In other news is anyone else super fucking exited? With the constant adc nerfs and trist commonly banned, I feel like Ez is finally viable for solo queue again.

Is there a reason to pick Ez over, say, Corki?

Yes, play Ezreal over Corki if you enjoy playing Ezreal more than Corki.

Seriously, is it so hard to just play what you enjoy? You are going to do far better with a kit that is fun for you than you will with one that you are playing just because it is strong. Jaef plays in Diamond, a much, much different tier than almost anyone else here. Tomorrow they will nerf Corki and buff Ezreal, and because you were playing Corki just because he was strong, you will curse Riot and whine about it instead of being quietly happy that they buffed a champion you enjoyed.

Playing only what is considered meta and strong is completely the wrong attitude. I don't enjoy playing Twitch, it's not my style, and I won't play him no matter how strong he is.

Sampsen on
    Sampsen_na_104_5_logo.png
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Let's put it this way. When was the last time one of you said "You know, you really should have Poppy in your lineup."? Whereas most people would say "Yes, get Yasuo, he is -fun- and -effective-."

Let's put it this way. When you tried playing Yasuo when he was free, did you enjoy it? Was Yasuo a champion you wanted to play more of?

Just play what you find fun, don't worry about what is popular or considered strong. All strong champions get nerfed, and weak ones will eventually be buffed or remade.
    Hehehe. I queued up for ranked the other day and people took all my roles. I told them in the chat. I told them. I don't play the mids. They took them anyway. I got a lot of practice on Yasuo that game. Also practice staring at the death screen.

In other news is anyone else super fucking exited? With the constant adc nerfs and trist commonly banned, I feel like Ez is finally viable for solo queue again.

Seriously, is it so hard to just play what you enjoy? You are going to do far better with a kit that is fun for you than you will with one that you are playing just because it is strong. Jaef plays in Diamond, a much, much different tier than almost anyone else here. Tomorrow they will nerf Corki and buff Ezreal, and because you were playing Corki just because he was strong, you will curse Riot and whine about it instead of being quietly happy that they buffed a champion you enjoyed.

Playing only what is considered meta and strong is completely the wrong attitude. I don't enjoy playing Twitch, it's not my style, and I won't play him no matter how strong he is.

By "reason", I meant "Gameplay reason", but thanks for the rant

• Options
    SampsenSampsen Aggressive Berserker Registered User regular

My point stands, then, and the answer is still 'Play what you enjoy'. You are not pro. You are in solo queue where the small differences between Ezreal and Corki aren't all that relevant.

Sampsen_na_104_5_logo.png
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Wooo, back to silver 1. Yes, it's the third time I have promo'd into silver 1; let's hope it's smoother sailing this time.

Shoutout to my friend who showed up and duo queued a game with me. Botlane duo on mumble is so fun. 3 people that game ended up having 0 deaths. Other shoutout for enemy botlane unfamiliar with the Soraka rework, and for allied adc who reluctantly changed his opinion from "Soraka is trash" to "some people playing Soraka are trash" after I won the lane for him.

Re: Corki vs. Ezreal--that's tough. Both have voices that make you want to reach into the computer and strangle the actor. Probably Ezreal's is worse? You know the splash art for Debonair Vi, how she's sitting across from Ezreal and is about to punch him? That's basically how I feel playing Ezreal...

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Rammus is just fat enough, that if you stand on thresh's lantern it is impossible to click. Their jinx was maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

• Options

My point stands, then, and the answer is still 'Play what you enjoy'. You are not pro. You are in solo queue where the small differences between Ezreal and Corki aren't all that relevant.

Ok that's fine except then your point has absolutely nothing to do with anything even remotely related to what I asked.

I didn't ask "Are the differences between them significant in Silver I/II?" Or "I'm looking for an ADC to play, who should I play?" Or "How do I make the decision on who to play?"

The answer to "Is there a [gameplay] reason to pick Ez over Corki" is not "You have a bad attitude"

But again, thanks for the help?

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    If you're playing a kite comp then yes. Corki's kite is not nearly as good because his W is on such a long cooldown. But if you're not playing a kite comp then no. Corki is stronger in lane (he can harass through creeps) he is stronger in team fights (more raw damage, easier to proc triforce with his ult), he is stronger in siege (harder to avoid rockets).

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    I guess... but in soloq are you going to be able to coordinate a kite comp to work well?

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Can Corki become Mega Man and blast PFE Qs all over the rift? The answer is no, and thus Corki ain't nothing but a whiskey delta.

• Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    okay so made it from silver 4 to silver 2 with vel koz

am i cheating

is this cheating?

No.

Dude, I zombie karthus'd my way out of bronze once. If it works, flog it.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    So is the Soraka rework actually broken or am I just meshing with it ridiculously well? I've literally won every single game I've played with her.

She just seems unstoppable to me. In lane she completely shuts down poke lanes with her W and burst lanes with her E. In teamfights she's effectively turning everyone else on her team into a tank, and good luck to the enemy team if someone else has a heal so Soraka's health can stay topped up.

• Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    I really should go back to calling fill in ranked. I'm definitely better at getting carried than carrying myself.

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    Burnage wrote: »
    So is the Soraka rework actually broken or am I just meshing with it ridiculously well? I've literally won every single game I've played with her.

She just seems unstoppable to me. In lane she completely shuts down poke lanes with her W and burst lanes with her E. In teamfights she's effectively turning everyone else on her team into a tank, and good luck to the enemy team if someone else has a heal so Soraka's health can stay topped up.

What's your build/skill order/skill use philosophy?
    Soraka seems potentially awesome, yeah.

And I cannot overstate how beautiful the particles for Q and E are. Like I want to use the skills just to see them appear on the screen.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »

And I cannot overstate how beautiful the particles for Q and E are. Like I want to use the skills just to see them appear on the screen.

All I know is I played vel koz support against a soraka and her lack of self heal becomes quickly apparent.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014

I'm still experimenting with her. I've tried two main builds so far; pure tank and mana tank.

For the first, I run full armour and MR runes, 0/24/6 masteries and build Talisman/resist boots/Sightstone and then pure resists - Frozen Heart, Thornmail, Spirit Visage (since there's no pure MR item and this helps your health regen the most). This build's designed to keep her health low but still make her hard to kill.

For the second, I run a standard AP rune page, 0/24/6 masteries again and build Spellthief/MPen or resist boots/Sightstone and then Archangel's Staff, Frozen Heart and Abyssal. She's quite a bit more fragile this way but the AP means her heals are a lot stronger. Her Q in particular can start to heal a really sizable chunk of damage to Soraka - a maximum 80% AP ratio is huge.

Not sure which one I prefer yet, there are pros and cons to each. Either way she's difficult to kill, the health cost on her W doesn't hurt her that much and she helps out her team tremendously. I'm finding that in lane she pairs best with an aggressive marksman and can suffer a bit if they're playing more passively than you, but after that it's smooth sailing.

Skill order, I normally go W->Q->E than RWEQ, unless I expect to get dived at level one (in which case I take E first) or I can poke freely (in which case I max Q second). I'll just use W when I can to keep people topped up as long as my health isn't especially low, harass with Q and use E to prevent dives. I save R for teamfights or when I want to be greedy and grab assists.

Burnage on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Raslin wrote: »
    I really should go back to calling fill in ranked. I'm definitely better at getting carried than carrying myself.

Yeah, I don't really play carries in ranked because most aren't my style; unless something goes weird when I'm in a solo lane and I get fed, my preferred statline is something like x / x / 10-20+x.

Solo-queue is really frustrating if that's your mentality, but it is actually pretty fun to be the guy who gets Akali fed from time to time, guys. I had a Kha'zix table-set nearly impeccably for me when I had Lissandra the other day, and I really hope to make other people feel like I did that game more often than not.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Yeah, the only carries I've found that I'm decent with in ranked are, oddly, marksman. Which is weird, since I don't play them very often, but I guess all the time fearing for my life as a support trying not to get killed helps out my positioning.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular

No, because I main Udyr and Ezreal being practically ungankable during laning and being kited constantly during team fights is fucking annoying.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »

No, because I main Udyr and Ezreal being practically ungankable during laning and being kited constantly during team fights is fucking annoying.

Would you like to be angrier? Play pre-rework Maokai some. Good god.

• Options
    I started learning to play Janna, because I bought the Fnatic skin (because it's so good!) However...well, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems actually impossible to poke in lane with her. Seems like in lane you can *only* play reactively, so instead of making plays, you're swinging engagements in your favor/preventing them from happening.
    I do like how she plays in teamfights; feels very impactful to peel. But laning...unless I haven't figured out at all how to play her, seems really not my style (I'm pretty aggressive/pokey).

• Options
    I started learning to play Janna, because I bought the Fnatic skin (because it's so good!) However...well, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems actually impossible to poke in lane with her. Seems like in lane you can *only* play reactively, so instead of making plays, you're swinging engagements in your favor/preventing them from happening.
    I do like how she plays in teamfights; feels very impactful to peel. But laning...unless I haven't figured out at all how to play her, seems really not my style (I'm pretty aggressive/pokey).
    If you're in a lane that favors poking your opponent, you can max W first instead of E and chunk people down with it. If your enemy also doesn't have engage threats, you can alsoquick tornado and get a couple autoattacks in using that.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    And don't underestimate max E first either. With someone like a Jinx, the AD it gives can do some work, provided you trust your adc enough to follow up any good knock ups you get.

E: Oh yeah, also, don't buy boots, you're Janna.

PrjctD_Captain on
    Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Can Corki become Mega Man and blast PFE Qs all over the rift? The answer is no, and thus Corki ain't nothing but a whiskey delta.

It's really a Mobility vs. Clear decision. Corki's clear is ridiculous, but so is the timeout on Valkyrie. I actually max Valk 2nd, just for the reduced cd.

Also, Ez's dash is on the wrong key.

Joe K on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    And yet another new Tales.

Py6k0rO.png

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Zed/Syndra and Third Wheel Riven in one strip

Tales of Valoran is knocking it out of the fucking park this week

• Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    And yet another new Tales.

Py6k0rO.png

Yasuo the playa.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular

The ideal Janna laning trade looks something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOi5xGg97i8

The subtlety that isn't immediately obvious there is that if you can shield yourself after your auto has gone off but before it hits the target, it'll benefit from the AD and you'll get shielded for as long as possible. Beyond this, Janna laning is a lot about knowing when to shield your ADC either offensively or defensively.

• Options
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

The subtlety that isn't immediately obvious there is that if you can shield yourself after your auto has gone off but before it hits the target, it'll benefit from the AD and you'll get shielded for as long as possible. Beyond this, Janna laning is a lot about knowing when to shield your ADC either offensively or defensively.

If Janna didn't get the hero minion she would have lost that trade p hard.

Janna delayed shield damage works on everything btw.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    LMQ/SSB picks:
    This game is all on Xiaoweixiao's head. If he can win mid and put dade behind and stop his roaming, they can win. If dade gets a lead, this game's over.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    Does this worlds seem like far and away, the most awesome one yet? It feels like that to me.

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    LMQ/SSB
    LMQ teamfighting mostly well/SSB making dumb positional errors keeping LMQ in the game but eventually they were just too behind and made some really, really bad target priority calls at the end.

Also, Kassawin is still a dumb champion.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Raslin wrote: »
    Does this worlds seem like far and away, the most awesome one yet? It feels like that to me.

A lot of closer games compared to the super stomps from last time.

• Options
    KBM/ALL
    KABUM KABUM KABUM KABUM KABUM

good guy wild card team

take it home C9. This is yours for the taking!

But seriously Danagorn's positioning is questionable as is Minerva's but TinOwns is seriously fucking legit

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    KBM/ALL
    KABUM KABUM KABUM KABUM KABUM

good guy wild card team

take it home C9. This is yours for the taking!

But seriously Danagorn's positioning is questionable as is Minerva's but TinOwns is seriously fucking legit
    KBM/ALL
    BOC2NfJCcAAocKT.jpg:large

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular

I mean he's another Triforce ADC with a low-cd harassment ability(albeit at 6), who also can be super safe.
    Corki is not adorable. Ez's escape/chase is up much more often than Corki's due to his kit, so he's much more slippery/sticky. There's not much of a long range siege difference with Corki's new rockets. Corki does have the AOE/shred vs tank advantage for sure, but Corki suffers from the interruptable jump and holy christ his Q is so miserable. Ez ult is also very strong for forcing side lanes to push mid/late game if you can't afford to send a person cross-map.

But really I just cannot stand Corki's nu-Q

• Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Goumindong wrote: »

If Janna didn't get the hero minion she would have lost that trade p hard.

Janna delayed shield damage works on everything btw.

Well yeah I mean it's Karma, you're not gonna outpoke a Karma that's hitting her skillshots...

CesareB on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
  • Options
    SpoonySpoony Registered User regular
    ALL/Kabum:
    C9/NWS:
    USA! USA! USA!