As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mighty Morphin Power Thread: where we of course talk about TMNT

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Oh man, Yellow is fucking loaded huh

I wish I had my own butler/assistant/sparring partner.

JEEVES GET ME A DRINK

ALSO HOLD STILL WHILE I KICK YOU IN THE FACE

edit: Oooh, motorcycle in the CROTCH

take that, stereo bot!

I still totally don't understand how there are like

stereotypical rich people in this tiny, last civilization on earth

like what do they do that makes them rich

Maybe there's a market for hitting robots in the dick with motorcycles.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    oh god

SHE'S ENGAGED

we're hitting peak anime here.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    They control all the yellow fabric.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    "Always eat your veggies!"

*Ziggy throws a box of lettuce at a robot*

See Ziggy, you ARE getting good at this. 8->

• Options
    Aw, Andrews. :(

• Options
    RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    Started watching RPM since I heard it was a pretty decent season and so far, I'm liking it a lot (up to Doctor K's background episode). Dillon and Ziggy are definitely my favorites (though I'm a sucker for a Scottish accent) and I don't believe a series has ever focused on the extra rangers before the core group so it was interesting to care more about them than Summer/Flynn/Scott

SPD still holds a special place in my heart though. Second half of the season was a letdown but the first half was great and I loved Bridge and Sky

• Options
    Ahahah, all hell's breaking loose and Flynn's guarding the cake.

Good man.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I love that part 2 of Ranger Yellow starts with everyone discussing the wedding in the middle of a fight.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I love that part 2 of Ranger Yellow starts with everyone discussing the wedding in the middle of a fight.

I always love stuff like this

My favorite scene in the original MMPR is Tommy and Kimberly having a relationship spat while Goldar is like "uh hi am I interrupting something can we like fight now please"

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

This is one of the things I liked about Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Peter just kind of staring at Gwen all butthurt over her going abroad, as wreckage is collapsing behind them, explosions going off, and he's just all

"London, really?"

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Oh god, Dr K is answering questions. This is fantastic.

edit: hahahah, Ziggy's teleporter isn't working, bad guy is just all "No, take your time"

edit edit: Oh god, we're going full-on Braveheart, here.

Goatmon on

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Some spoilery thoughts on Ranger Yellow
    What's interesting to me is that Summer pretty much has all of her character development in the flashbacks of that episode, from a spoilt brat to the most stable member of the team. You could say that she was underutilised, but I think there's something to be said for that stability when you're saving the world city. Even Scott has his feuds with his father over how they should handle the Venjix threat.

Also, having an actual on-screen, permanent death is pretty crazy for Power Rangers, in regards to her butler.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Yeah that death was certainly a thing. Galaxy came close to having an on-screen death (of a ranger no less) but then she just randomly fucking comes back to life through a portal in the last episode. What the fuck?

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    Yeah that death was certainly a thing. Galaxy came close to having an on-screen death (of a ranger no less) but then she just randomly fucking comes back to life through a portal in the last episode. What the fuck?

Lost Galaxy
    The actress was diagnosed with cancer, but she was able to beat it before the show ended so I would absolutely green-light that cameo.

• Options
    Lorahalo wrote: »

Lost Galaxy
    The actress was diagnosed with cancer, but she was able to beat it before the show ended so I would absolutely green-light that cameo.
    I knew about that, but it was pretty weird. She just walked out of the air and went "Hey guys, what's going on?". It was a cool thing to do for the actress, but goddamn was it weird.

• Options
    Didn't Power Rangers In Space have a death?
    Zordon died to save the galaxy, when he had his tank shattered, did he not?

• Options
    haha

Flynn takes out the bad guys with a background morphing sequence explosion.

Fucking aces.

• Options
    The first half of Super Megaforce showed up on netflix.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Didn't Power Rangers In Space have a death?
    Zordon died to save the galaxy, when he had his tank shattered, did he not?

Oh, of course, I can't believe I forgot that.

• Options
    To be honest, I only even knew from a related youtube video, some months or years ago.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    So, I watched the first 3 or 4 episodes of RPM.
    7. This show ACTIVLEY SUFFERS from being asocciated with RPM.

So... the show actively suffers from being associated with itself? Uh...?

I do love RPM... if I could have only one single season, that would probably be my pick. I just wish they'd release it stand-alone, so I could watch it with my wife... ideally before Linkara reviews it, since we watch those now.

I remember I fell out sometime during Dino Thunder because the Family channel up here aired the show at some weird, early time (like, 5:12am or something). It went to ABC at some point, and around that time, I realized I was staying up late enough that I could just stay up and watch Rangers before going to bed, so I watched what I could of RPM.

Also watched MMPR Generation 2.

Samurai came, and... well, I was turned off pretty quickly by the lousy acting (at least early on) and the way things just seemed to start so abruptly. Back on board for Megaforce, though.

Oh, and Samurai had the worst team-up ever, bar none. Topless Robot even had a contest to win that ep/movie on DVD, and I didn't even bother entering.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Oh, and Samurai had the worst team-up ever, bar none. Topless Robot even had a contest to win that ep/movie on DVD, and I didn't even bother entering.

You mean with RPM? Yeah, it was pretty poor considering a considerable chunk of footage came from the Super Sentai team-up movie of both shows' source material. I even linked a video on page 7 that someone edited together showing the climax for both the movie and the Samurai/RPM team-up side by side, letting you see what fight scenes could have been used if they actually used the rest of the RPM Rangers for the special instead of 'We met your team while we were stuck in your dimension. They said hi'.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    3. Is it just me or does the quality take like, a HILARIOUS downturn whenever the Ranger's actually suit up?

Well that's when they stop using the actual actors, far as I know.

I'm not sure how much of the show's writing differs from the source, but once they suit up I'm pretty sure they're mostly reusing the source footage, which means writing only the dialogue and having to base it all on what's happening in the footage.

As opposed to just writing whatever they want to put into it when it's the actors on screen.

Goatmon on

• Options
    Which of course means that the actors turn into voice actors, and some people just suck at voice acting. I noticed that with some series, the voice acting on the sentai footage was awful for a few people.

• Options
    I'd love a good documentary going over the production of a season of power rangers. How they decide what sentai footage to use and what to shoot themselves.
    There is this though,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKVa1eQF3PI&index=54&list=WL

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Wait available only on amazon? What?

Also dammit bring back vault instead

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Surge was vile.

Bring back crystal pepsi.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Screw 90's nostalgia, my best energy-drink memories were late-high-school-early-college. Bring back Jolt Cola and MDX!

(or, if drink companies insist on the 90's, bring back Fruitopia!)

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Bring Back Soviet White Coke

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    The Dr. K Q&A session is my favorite comedy bit in RPM, except for maybe when they were trying to get Dillon's shield to work and
    The cannon pops out of the fridge that is way too small for it.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    So, I watched the first 3 or 4 episodes of RPM.
    7. This show ACTIVLEY SUFFERS from being asocciated with RPM.

So... the show actively suffers from being associated with itself? Uh...?

I do love RPM... if I could have only one single season, that would probably be my pick. I just wish they'd release it stand-alone, so I could watch it with my wife... ideally before Linkara reviews it, since we watch those now.

I remember I fell out sometime during Dino Thunder because the Family channel up here aired the show at some weird, early time (like, 5:12am or something). It went to ABC at some point, and around that time, I realized I was staying up late enough that I could just stay up and watch Rangers before going to bed, so I watched what I could of RPM.

Also watched MMPR Generation 2.

Samurai came, and... well, I was turned off pretty quickly by the lousy acting (at least early on) and the way things just seemed to start so abruptly. Back on board for Megaforce, though.

The RPM Sentai series is....significantly more light-hearted then the American one, and that's reflected in the Zord design's/weapons/special abilites. There's an explanation later on that explains the designs, which I appreciate, but at first it's quite jarring.

• Options

• Options
    Goatmon thank you sir

There are like

Weirdly few covers of that song, and that's a good one

• Options
    The dude's accent threw me a bit at fairst, but he knows his stuff so who cares

• Options
    Also I mario painted the song as well, but only ever uploaded a sample of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMmRQ-lmAwQ

I still haven't finished it! I got as far as the instrumental section right before the final chorus, but then just kinda got burned out.

• Options
    RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    Found out yesterday that the actors who played Ziggy and Dr. K are married in real life. That totally made my day

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Oh my god, I'm on episode 7 of RPM and I'm losing my shit over Alarmed Baby

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    I'm so psyched people are trying rpm out