As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This just in: Old games come to [Steam]!

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Looking at the Intel winners showed me that apparently Forced 2 is in development. Exciting. From looking around it appears like they're changing things up quite a bit. Looks a lot more competitive though, not sure if I'm feeling that.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Just think- there's a house in every city, just waiting for you to buy it up... and personalize it... and to decorate for the holidays...

...so I suspect we'll see you surface in time for Winter Gale, yes? :smiley:

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    rikdaly wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    I've got a refund coming back from a failed Indiegogo campaign (which is a bummer of a story for another day/forum), so I decided to make lemonade and grabbed Assetto Corsa while it's still half off due to the recommendations from you fine people. Damn, that's an impressive game. Probably the hardest/realistic-est physics in a racer I've played since Grand Prix Legends, and that's playing it on a 360 controller with the assists set to "Gamer" (i.e. as forgiving as it will probably be). Looks great, and nary a dropped frame even when I went from pounding the track in practise to a 25-car race. The Early Access is still showing, but it's looking mighty promising and is clearly getting regular - and substantial - updates.

I'm very interested to see how it will compare with Project CARS, and vice versa. I think between the two of them and the F1 series I'll be set for racers on various part of the realistic end of the scale for a very long time.

make sure you try the Zonda round Monza 66, it's so much fun! it may be a little hard on a 360 controller but I guess that's what the assists are for? with my Driving Force GT it feels amazing to drive, the force feedback pretty much locks the wheel up solid when you floor it on the straights, the car just spins out easily if you change down gear without braking enough first to get your revs down

The worst part about having to sell my PS3 all those years ago was having to get rid of my Driving Force GT. I had so much fun playing Gran Turismo 5 with that thing.

Assetto Corsa looks amazing. My next dream project is going to be picking up another wheel (probably another DFGT, I love the on-wheel buttons) and building a racing cockpit. It's amazing to see some of the stuff people have built, everything from office chairs and pvc pipes to full blown racing seats with triple monitor setups, full dashboards, and painted metal frames. Mine would be a lot closer to the former rather than the latter, but the extra immersion gained from using a solid force feedback wheel is incredible, even on its own, so I can only imagine what it would be like in a cockpit setup.
    So I went to start putting together my new computer with the parts given to me by work, @Pixelated Pixie and @Lindsay Lohan only to discover that the extra case I took from work is too short for the mobo. Oh well. Looks like I'm going to be buying this instead. I've heard great things about it. And with it I'm going to get a new PSU as recommended by the computer build thread and a new SSD. This is SO exciting! I have so much work to do and things to do this week but all I can think of is building this computer!

Right on man, the R4 is a pretty solid case.

The last decision you have to make when building a PC is the most important:
    What color LEDs you're going to go with?

Your options are varied, but the most common are as follows:

Red LEDs:

Red LEDs are very powerful. They make your PC run much, much faster. If you are looking to get a performance boost but can't afford higher quality parts or are unable to overclock, red LEDs are the way to go. Just make sure to beef up your cooling levels, because they will make your PC run much hotter. All of the top MLG Pro gamers use red LEDs (including myself).

Blue LEDs:

Blue LEDs are great. They make your machine run much cooler. If your ambient temperatures are on the rise and you can't afford spending $20 a piece on high quality Noctua fans or $Idaho on expensive watercooling setups, blue LEDs are your best bet. I once knew a guy who had so many blue LEDs that his case pulled double duty as a minifridge. Not even joking. We'd keep the root beer in there during LAN parties.

Green LEDs:

Green LEDs are great because they make your system use significantly less AC power to run, thus lowering both your electricity bill and your carbon footprint. A set of high quality green LEDs surrounding a 1000w PSU will bring its power draw down to as low as 4-500w (not counting the extra power used to run the green LEDs).

White LEDs:

White LEDs are (on paper) the best option, as they combine the benefits of red, blue, and green LEDs. Be very careful though!, white LEDs aren't very common because the light gives you cancer.

Sure, some people prefer a "pure" PC and might not use LEDs at all, considering them to be "cheating", but you gotta ask yourself - if you were an Olympic athlete, and someone said you could inject LEDs to make your performance significantly better, would that be "cheating"? Of course not.

Please keep us updated on your build, and let us know as soon as you're ready to get some gaming in.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    The above information is completely legit btw, from my own extensive empirical research. It is truly the most important thing to consider when building your rig that too many people, sadly, overlook.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    @JaysonFour‌ is a tricksy one, all casually friending me before hitting me with not only The Bridge but also Chainsaw Warrior
    always happy to add more potential victims friends to my list

not even 8am and already an amazing day, thank you

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    That's a great advantage of AlienFX - it can be, and do, all of those things! At once, if you want!

And all it requires is selling your soul and possibly looking a bit silly! A fair trade-off, I say.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Smoke is giving bunk advice.

We all know Blue LEDs make the PC go faster.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    @Big Classy‌ claiming to be an agent of @CorriganX smuggled a copy of Super Time Force Ultra across the border
    Then gifts a game I am greatly anticipating Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris

While I was typing this @cardboard delusions‌ drops Castlevania:Lords of Shadow 2 and the related DLC straight into my lap

I can not thank you guys enough, I am really blessed

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Look, I run blue LEDs.

Red ones go fasta.

Blue runs run coola.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    @Big Classy got me a copy of Lara croft too, telling me that I am required to play it whenever @Viking feels like playing. I am now bound to viking's whim. :(

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    It's a well-known fact, brought to us by the Orks. Red wunz go fasta.

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I just finished AC3 last night... and while it was one of the buggiest AAA games I've ever played (I can't recall ever having to replay multiple sequences throughout the game due to a proliferation of showstopping bugs), I liked Connor as a protagonist. I was able to easily dismiss any complaints about his personality. He was a fish out of water, trying to understand a culture that wasn't his own. His flat tone was stereotypical of a "Hollywood" Indian and I found it improved throughout the game as he came to understand inflection more and more.

I found his plight to be much more tragic than Ezio's.Of all the main AC ancestors thus far, for all his good intentions, his destiny was simply to show Desmond the key. His entire existence a causality of the key. Connor thinks he's failed by the time the story wraps up and that sucks. He tried so hard :(

Oh well... Onto AC4 tonight!

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Look, I run blue LEDs.

Red ones go fasta.

Blue runs run coola.

Blue is both, because overclocking.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Psiberian wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »
    not explicitly steam but it does include steam. Razer is dong a beta release of it's video game deal compiler software. it looks pretty col and just like summer dale all year!

link: http://www.razerzone.com/cortex/earlyaccess

Interesting. Is it going to do anything that isthereanydeal.com or enhanced Steam aren't doing already?

impression so far:
    1. The gui looks and feels and awful lot like steam.
    2. It has a wishlist feature which is nice as it is by game and tracks when your game is on sale for you no matter what site has the sale.
    3. It autosearches: Amazon, greenmangaming, steam, gamersgate, gamestop, GOG, Origin so far (still beta) but promises more as testing works out bugs.
    4. There was a question posed to The CEO of razer about whether or not they would add google wallet support to buy games at the best price regardless of vendor directly through the interface, to which he gave a winky smiley and no other information so who knows. I think this would be difficult at best to pull off due to log ins and account level information at each vendor.
    5. The sorting and filter options are pretty standard: % off, $ off, highest price, lowest price etc.
    6. I like the gui interface way better than isthereanydeal.
    7. it does look like a promotions section is on one of the rotating lists on the latest tab, but it just shows the supported stores and information about cortex. It also promises special deals exclusive to cortex after beta but we will see.

overall it is nice so far, very few complaints and I am curious to see where it goes.

I guess alot of people don't know about Enhanced Steam for Firefox and Chrome. It polls the info off of isthereany deal and integrates it into the steam store page.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    CorriganX wrote: »
    @Big Classy got me a copy of Lara croft too, telling me that I am required to play it whenever @Viking feels like playing. I am now bound to viking's whim. :(

I got caught by Isy as well. There was no binding to Viking's whim, but I'd definitely down for some 4-player co-op once it releases.

Which reminds me, at some point I'd like to co-op through the first one if anyone else is in the same position.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Blue and white, because if you get them flashing fast enough, it supercharges your system like a Mega Buster.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    PsiberianPsiberian Registered User regular
    übergeek wrote: »
    not explicitly steam but it does include steam. Razer is dong a beta release of it's video game deal compiler software. it looks pretty col and just like summer dale all year!

Interesting. Is it going to do anything that isthereanydeal.com or enhanced Steam aren't doing already?

impression so far:
    2. It has a wishlist feature which is nice as it is by game and tracks when your game is on sale for you no matter what site has the sale.
    3. It autosearches: Amazon, greenmangaming, steam, gamersgate, gamestop, GOG, Origin so far (still beta) but promises more as testing works out bugs.
    4. There was a question posed to The CEO of razer about whether or not they would add google wallet support to buy games at the best price regardless of vendor directly through the interface, to which he gave a winky smiley and no other information so who knows. I think this would be difficult at best to pull off due to log ins and account level information at each vendor.
    5. The sorting and filter options are pretty standard: % off, $ off, highest price, lowest price etc.
    7. it does look like a promotions section is on one of the rotating lists on the latest tab, but it just shows the supported stores and information about cortex. It also promises special deals exclusive to cortex after beta but we will see.

overall it is nice so far, very few complaints and I am curious to see where it goes.

I guess alot of people don't know about Enhanced Steam for Firefox and Chrome. It polls the info off of isthereany deal and integrates it into the steam store page.

I am aware of enhanced steam this was just something new I came across and thought I would pass it along. /shrug

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Blue and white, because if you get them flashing fast enough, it supercharges your system like a Mega Buster.

This... this is unheard of.

Clearly further testing is required.

This could be a paradigm shift in the way that LEDs are used in modern society.

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the lab!

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »

Hasn't this always been the case?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    übergeek wrote: »

impression so far:

I am aware of enhanced steam this was just something new I came across and thought I would pass it along. /shrug

Oh that wasn't directed at you, I meant it more as all the people at Razer don't seem to know this exists.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I just finished AC3 last night... and while it was one of the buggiest AAA games I've ever played (I can't recall ever having to replay multiple sequences throughout the game due to a proliferation of showstopping bugs), I liked Connor as a protagonist. I was able to easily dismiss any complaints about his personality. He was a fish out of water, trying to understand a culture that wasn't his own. His flat tone was stereotypical of a "Hollywood" Indian and I found it improved throughout the game as he came to understand inflection more and more.

I found his plight to be much more tragic than Ezio's.Of all the main AC ancestors thus far, for all his good intentions, his destiny was simply to show Desmond the key. His entire existence a causality of the key. Connor thinks he's failed by the time the story wraps up and that sucks. He tried so hard :(

If you haven't heard it yet here is the cut ending dialogue from the game. A great ending to that game which was sadly missing.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Speaking of really fun challenging games, One Way Heroics really is a fun roguelike that should get played more.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
  • Options
    Karoz wrote: »

If you haven't heard it yet here is the cut ending dialogue from the game. A great ending to that game which was sadly missing.

Wow... WTF?! Why the hell was this left on the editing room floor? It literally validates all of the feelings I have about Connor and his cause. It's short and sweet... indeed exactly what the ending was missing.

There's some things I'll just never understand. Even if they didn't want to animate the footage to go with this narration, they could have played this over the (ridiculously long) credits easily. It makes no sense that this was left out.

Why Ubisoft? Why?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Why Ubisoft? Why?

The answer's in the question.

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Gah! So late to the thread this time!

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    The infuriating thing is that Ubisoft isn't known as a studio that cuts corners or bloat. They throw everything and the kitchen sink into the game, and do it multiple times a year.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    Why Ubisoft? Why?

The answer's in the question.

Okay, I laughed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    All this talk of colored LEDs and no one ever mentions the stealthiest of them all: purple.

You ever seen purple LEDs? Damn right you haven't.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Current weekly giftaway:

signature.png

Does everybody have this already?

I'm at work and Steam is one of like, three sites that are actually blocked here, so I can't check.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    @Mudzgut gave me a big ol' slice of nostalgia for my birthday, Colin McRae Rally was a huge favorite of mine on the PSX and now I get to play it again on the PC

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    So I have been playing defense grind do a classy gift. I guess it is working on my backlog, but my Tomb Raider stream is slipping because of this.

On RL good news, my work has been officaly informed of Mrs. Alures bun in the oven. On bad news, they said no, I have to work today. Going to my wife's appointment isn't something I should do. I hate my work. I wrote a nice letter stating things about this, lets hope they are more understanding going forward. I'm going to the ultrasound even if I have to call off.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »

You forgot to hastag that and tweet it. #blessed

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    So I have been playing defense grind do a classy gift. I guess it is working on my backlog, but my Tomb Raider stream is slipping because of this.

On RL good news, my work has been officaly informed of Mrs. Alures bun in the oven. On bad news, they said no, I have to work today. Going to my wife's appointment isn't something I should do. I hate my work. I wrote a nice letter stating things about this, lets hope they are more understanding going forward. I'm going to the ultrasound even if I have to call off.

Congrats! And screw them, that's ridiculous. I just found out recently that my wife is currently incubating our first and I'd tell work to F off if they thought I wouldn't be there for the ultrasound.

• Options
    and now @Berylline with DC Universe Online: Halls of Power DLC
    pretty much overwhelmed here

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Stolls wrote: »
    All this talk of colored LEDs and no one ever mentions the stealthiest of them all: purple.

You ever seen purple LEDs? Damn right you haven't.

Purple LEDs are a myth, they exist solely in the delusional babblings of men who have gone mad while searching for them.
    @Mudzgut gave me a big ol' slice of nostalgia for my birthday, Colin McRae Rally was a huge favorite of mine on the PSX and now I get to play it again on the PC

I played it at a friend's place a while back. A lot of people complained about it, because they thought it was something it wasn't (and it didn't help that there was some advertising that led them in that direction), but all in all I had some fun with it.

It's a PC port of a mobile port of a PC port of a PS1 game, so there is some heavy simplification compared to traditional Colin McRae Rally games. There is no customization, the courses are much more barren in terms of location, and there are only four cars. If you think of it like an arcade game that just so happens to be Colin McRae Rally than you'll be set. Imagine it's Sega Rally featuring Colin McRae and it'll come into focus (haha, get it?). It's still a blast tear assing through dirt tracks though.

I'm kinda sad that Colin McRae Rally 2005 never hit Steam, because I would buy that shit so hard the force generated by my hands would make a pistol shrimp look like a Nerf gun. It was on gog for a while and I grabbed it, but got pulled, so I'm assuming there is some sort of licensing issue somewhere.

Traditional Rally is kinda dead now. We've got the Dirt series, and it's really great, but the whole Americanization/X-Games shift just isn't the same. All I wanna do is drive a '95 Subaru Impreza through an extremely dangerous unmaintained European wilderness forest dirt road while my co-driver shouts stuff like "forty right five tightens to four don't cut rocks inside into caution jump narrows over bridge onto tarmac" into my ear.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

I've been playing AC4 for a couple of weeks now. I think it's quite good. I absolutely love the setting and all of the pirate gameplay they added in. It really feels like a high quality, next-gen Akella game at times. It can be frustrating as well, but overall would definitely recommend.

Unless you didn't like the ship combat in AC3, because boy howdy you will not like this game. I did, and do.

I'm almost 80% complete with it, but won't be getting 100%. The diving parts can go die. I just did them enough to get the ship part plans. If they had just gone with the environmental hazards, I would be fine, but the goddamned sharks combined with inaccurate swimming controls just makes it not fun. Though thankfully only 1 or 2 are mandatory, I believe.

I also really like the out of Animus gameplay so far, but I won't spoil that any. I so want to work there.

• Options
    HeirTransparentHeirTransparent ... Registered User regular
    After 400+ attempts (across the original PC, XBLA and updated PC versions), I've finally beat Spelunky! Hooray!
    1B954169DEE6E1D44EF565270D856752984F95F2

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

You forgot to hastag that and tweet it. #blessed

?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFnmT82yGpk

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    After 400+ attempts (across the original PC, XBLA and updated PC versions), I've finally beat Spelunky! Hooray!
    1B954169DEE6E1D44EF565270D856752984F95F2

Congrats!

Now beat the game for real by going to Hell and beating Yama. :D

This discussion has been closed.