Options

This just in: Old games come to [Steam]!

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    The only recent example I can think of is Jamestown. Later levels aren't available on lower difficulty settings.

I'm glad I know this before starting it. That would have pissed me off.

What level of difficulty is required to access all the stages?

The highest one I think? It tells you in the stage select screen.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    The only recent example I can think of is Jamestown. Later levels aren't available on lower difficulty settings.

Legendary. Which isn't that bad actually, the game has a huge playfield so not getting hit is much easier than you'd think for something calling itself Legendary. The real difficulty spike in the last level is mostly about avoiding being crushed by walls / funneled into bullets anyway, not so much the aggressiveness of the AI.

• Options

Legendary. Which isn't that bad actually, the game has a huge playfield so not getting hit is much easier than you'd think for something calling itself Legendary. The real difficulty spike in the last level is mostly about avoiding being crushed by walls / funneled into bullets anyway, not so much the aggressiveness of the AI.

If you play with the Ball (I think that's the one) your special projectile goes through walls anyway which makes the last level super easy.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

If you play with the Ball (I think that's the one) your special projectile goes through walls anyway which makes the last level super easy.

I always thought it was "balls to the wall" not "balls through the wall."

TIL something new. Thanks!

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    xiears wrote: »
    So, I just installed the first Dark Souls. I knew it'd be tough, I wasn't expecting the first challenge to be getting to the title screen. People weren't kidding about GFWL being horrible.

It's one of my favourite games of all time so if you can get it to work, you're in for a ride. I rarely get to put more than a couple of hours into any game these days but I put over 120 hours including a NG+ run which I NEVER do. I really hope you can get it to work to work because GFWL should not deprive you of such a great game and I think everyone should at least give it a shot to see if it's their "thing".

Yeah, I'm really disappointed I can't get it to run (well the game itself runs fine, I can't get GFWL to work, and I don't fancy playing without being able to save). I'd played a bit on 360 previously and thoroughly enjoyed it, so I was looking forward to playing it proper.

Make an offline account? That's what I did. I used the same account with Space Asshole. It just makes a save file in Documents/My Games, and those save files can be moved around if needed (or at least they could when I was having problems logging on forever ago when I played Fallout 3), so ostensibly, you could move those saves to both an on or offline account folder.

Thanks for this! God, they really don't make that option easy to find, I had no idea it was there until I saw your post, and even then it took me a good 5 mins to find it. I'm still miffed I'll miss out on the PvP/invasion shiz but it's better than not playing it at all.

I'm in, Asylum Demon down, onward to the first bell!

At this stage in the game's life, online/pvp is pretty much all hacks and cheats anyway and distinctly not fun in any way, so you aren't missing anything.

Well, except for the constant messages advising you to TRY JUMPING off every insta-death ledge everywhere. Because golly that never gets old, does it?

When you've never played the game before, not every one of those is a lie... ;)

Which is what makes it even more annoying. You either played jaded and ignore them all and miss out on STUFF, or you put on a stupid grin and jump off every single ledge "because someone told me to!" and die over and over and over.

To be fair, I think there is a grand total of two drops* in the game where you can't just look down and say "nope, that's a lie." I think of them more as invitations to see what's below me/be aware of my surroundings than derpy lemming egress points. :smile:

Asterisk behind spoiler:
    One of those is an area full of invisible walkways that are pointed out by an NPC message/other visual clues and the other is a boss area where it's obvious that something is odd.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Karrde1842 wrote: »
    Dark Souls was the worst game I've ever played. Not a popular opinion, I know.

Inconceivable!

• Options
    PsiberianPsiberian Registered User regular
    not explicitly steam but it does include steam. Razer is dong a beta release of it's video game deal compiler software. it looks pretty col and just like summer dale all year!

link: http://www.razerzone.com/cortex/earlyaccess

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Psiberian wrote: »
    not explicitly steam but it does include steam. Razer is dong a beta release of it's video game deal compiler software. it looks pretty col and just like summer dale all year!

Interesting. Is it going to do anything that isthereanydeal.com or enhanced Steam aren't doing already?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »

Interesting. Is it going to do anything that isthereanydeal.com or enhanced Steam aren't doing already?

i am not sure yet I am still in the queue to get a copy to check out. It is a gui instead of a webpage and it delivers in real time. Knowing that razer likes to throw extra stuff in I am curious and optimistic at least. I will let you know what I find out.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Yeah, CheapAssGamer has a price tracker, too. I'm not sure how many people use it, but Cheapy's not gonna be too happy hearing that a big company is moving in on his turf!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

Give you ads for the latest poorly made razer products naturally.

Inconceivable!

I don't think that means what you think it means...

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Grammar like a hammer.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    The princess bride.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    So the sale this week includes Unity of Command.

Which is a brutally hard operational level wargame with strict turn limits that will make you scream with rage.

It's also super engaging and getting it right feels super satisfying. You should all get it so I have human opponents that are just as flawed as me, as oppsoed to AI opponents with no sense of mercy.

• Options
    Unity of Command made me say naughty words.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    There's a new Humble Bundle flash sale:

For $1 or more:
    Super Amazing Wagon Adventure
    Full Bore
    Tiny Barbarian DX

For $6 or more:
    NEStalgia
    Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures

Seems like an all right deal.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Unity of Command made me say naughty words.

Never have I lamented the lack of an undo button in a game more.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2014

@Karrde are you willing to give specifics on what didn't gel for you?

Erg. I rarely (read: never) play a game on the highest difficulty. I might just opt out of the game. Which is better than playing it and getting pissed off, but I'm pretty sure it was a gift. :confused:

Maybe I can rope my brother into local co-oping it with me. I'm middling at most schmups, so perhaps a second player would help.

Is there the old school stupidity that is limited lives and continues?

Edit: also, is there a story or is it just "try to beat all these stages"?

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    So remember all that fuss with Google supposedly buying out Twitch, and Twitch changing a bunch of shit regarding how they operate?

Looks like Amazon is actually buying Twitch instead.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/08/amazon-not-google-reportedly-buying-twitch-for-1-billion/

I don't stream, but I know a bunch of peeps here do so it might be relevant news for you guys.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    So remember all that fuss with Google supposedly buying out Twitch, and Twitch changing a bunch of shit regarding how they operate?

Looks like Amazon is actually buying Twitch instead.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/08/amazon-not-google-reportedly-buying-twitch-for-1-billion/

I don't stream, but I know a bunch of peeps here do so it might be relevant news for you guys.

Well shit...

I wonder if this will change them for the better or if Amazon will turn more into the Google monopoly.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Pinning Steam to the task bar and right clicking to launch a game is a fine idea, except for when you need the game to open up the dialog box to let you choose your expansion, then you have to go to the bottom right.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

Inconceivable!

Eh if I hadn't gotten help from a fellow PAer and was nigh constantly looking at the wiki I would have quit soon after getting to the Firelink shrine.

The lack of knowing where you needed to go next was a huge flaw. I'll give them credit for the wonderfully intertwined levels but because of a tree placed just so I managed to miss the stairs to Undead Burg. So I ended up bashing my head for the next hour trying to fight skeletons and ghosts well above my level. Sure there are alternate paths, challenges, and goodies for doing it but I'd much rather do that on a new playthrough when I actually know how the game works, not while I'm still learning.

Karoz on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    signature.png

Looks like our lucky winner is @Svevin ! Your code's being PM'd to you now!

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options

Erg. I rarely (read: never) play a game on the highest difficulty. I might just opt out of the game. Which is better than playing it and getting pissed off, but I'm pretty sure it was a gift. :confused:

Maybe I can rope my brother into local co-oping it with me. I'm middling at most schmups, so perhaps a second player would help.

I'm terrible at shmups and made it through. There is a story, but it's stage-based. I'm pretty sure (if I had a save right now) that I could start the game up and start playing on the last level. Also, if you can do the local coop you definitely should.

I don't know the designers at all, but I get the impression that the design doc had a "common path" section where they figure players will play stages 1-3 on normal, then 1-4 on hard, and then 1-5 on legendary.

The stages also aren't super-long, and if you're looking for ridiculous challenge (which it sounds like you're not) there are separate challenge stages available in the menu.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    It seems one of the newest Steam updates has added the ability to select multiple games from your library and tell them all with 1 click. This is great news for those of us switching computers!

More info here

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Also, I just got tactical pistols in Tomb Raider. I feel like the end is coming, and I don't want it to. I need more games in my life where I can shoot arrows at people who then catch on fire while I feel like an amazing badass with a sexy accent.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

The final boss is also a pretty noticeable spike from the previous bosses, too. All my attempts to 1CC the max level always gets dashed at the last level by the damn Conquistador. Grumble.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

I'm terrible at shmups and made it through. There is a story, but it's stage-based. I'm pretty sure (if I had a save right now) that I could start the game up and start playing on the last level. Also, if you can do the local coop you definitely should.

I don't know the designers at all, but I get the impression that the design doc had a "common path" section where they figure players will play stages 1-3 on normal, then 1-4 on hard, and then 1-5 on legendary.

The stages also aren't super-long, and if you're looking for ridiculous challenge (which it sounds like you're not) there are separate challenge stages available in the menu.

Well, that's at least good to know (the quality of difficulty). And challenge is one of the things I will tolerate in a game, but not seek out. Like, Rogue Legacy, Spelunky, Dark Souls, etc where death is more punishing than "restart at last checkpoint" are games I will play, but I really have to be in the mood. Mainly I'm looking for the flow between mechanics, exploration and story. And I personally enjoy mechanics that largely trivialize death (such as Super Meat Boy and the "insta-restart"), or almost ignore it altogether even in games that have high chances of death. I'm not playing a game to prove anything as much as I am playing to enjoy the interactive storytelling nature (preferably with more mechanics than a visual novel or point and click adventure), and to wander around in the world provided to me.

This would also be why I've never played any Civ game on a difficulty higher than "Warlord" . . . ;)

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

Edit: also, is there a story or is it just "try to beat all these stages"?[/quote]

I wrote a lot of words about Jamestown here, but the gist of it is that Legendary isn't the highest difficulty level and it was very manageable even for someone like me who's rubbish at shmups. The only one I've managed to 1cc in the last decade was Triggerheart Exelica, which is pretty much babby's first bullet-hell.

I'm only really pushing this because I had exactly the same reaction when I heard about needing to play at higher difficulty levels to see the last levels and I was pleasantly surprised when I gave it a chance.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

Inconceivable!

Eh if I hadn't gotten help from a fellow PAer and was nigh constantly looking at the wiki I would have quit soon after getting to the Firelink shrine.

The lack of knowing where you needed to go next was a huge flaw. I'll give them credit for the wonderfully intertwined levels but because of a tree placed just so I managed to miss the stairs to Undead Burg. So I ended up bashing my head for the next hour trying to fight skeletons and ghosts well above my level. Sure there are alternate paths, challenges, and goodies for doing it but I'd much rather do that on a new playthrough when I actually know how the game works, not while I'm still learning.

Or you can do like my friend did and refuse to quit like a punk when he first got into the cemetery and powerleveled through the entire catacombs and killed the boss before he figured out where the Undead Burg was.

• Options
    xiearsxiears It isn't sexual Strictly confectionalRegistered User regular
    We have winners!!!
    Bank Holiday Re-re-repost!!

signature.png

Congrats @Svevin aka Kevko!
    signature.png

signature.png

Congrats @JaysonFour‌ you won both of these.

Friend invites/PM's sent/being sent now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    It's official. Amazon owns Twitch.tv.

Edit - Made a post about it my VG Streams thread if you wanna discuss it over there. Also Bobkins made a thread about it as the sole topic.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

Well, that's at least good to know (the quality of difficulty). And challenge is one of the things I will tolerate in a game, but not seek out. Like, Rogue Legacy, Spelunky, Dark Souls, etc where death is more punishing than "restart at last checkpoint" are games I will play, but I really have to be in the mood. Mainly I'm looking for the flow between mechanics, exploration and story. And I personally enjoy mechanics that largely trivialize death (such as Super Meat Boy and the "insta-restart"), or almost ignore it altogether even in games that have high chances of death. I'm not playing a game to prove anything as much as I am playing to enjoy the interactive storytelling nature (preferably with more mechanics than a visual novel or point and click adventure), and to wander around in the world provided to me.

This would also be why I've never played any Civ game on a difficulty higher than "Warlord" . . . ;)

My philosophy is similar. It goes way back; frankly I never cared much about beating peoples' high scores, or in more recent years, achievements unless they actually contribute to gameplay. (Test Drive Unlimited and Crackdown were the two games I remember actually making the achievements a genuine part of the game.) I was always in it for the experience, and stories when they came around.

I'll take on a challenge if I'm in the mood, and then it'll usually be in a classic - or classic-style - shmup of some kind. I put more hours into Gradius V on the PS2 than many RPGs. I just demand that the game be fair about its difficulty; that if I die it was my fault and not because of something else. That's one reason I never got on with Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox. I know it's often held up as an example of a savagely difficult but still fair game, but it felt unfair and arbitrary to me, and not least because of its godawful camera. I wanted to love that game but for me it was where Itagaki jumped the shark. I feel that the disappointment of DOA4 and the very nice surprise of DOA5 proved me right on that score.

By the way, I've said it before and I'll say it again - I would perform unspeakable acts for Gradius V to come to Steam. Preferably a ton of Treasure games, but most of all that one. Ikaruga's appearance means it might be possible...

Jazz on
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    My PC was barely on when @Shogun throws Darkwood at me amid praise for the game.
    Then @BornToHula‌ sneaks STORM: Frontline Nation into my backlog when I wasn't looking.

You guys are the best, wonderful start to my day

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    When I get into a really difficult game it's because I'm enjoying mastering a finely crafted system of mechanics. This is particularly true for shmups in my case. The good ones feature a set of interlocking mechanics that once properly grasped allow you to overcome the game's seemingly impossible challenges. And this approach can be as intense or casual as you like. You can play for survival, where your goal is to get through all of the stages with available resources like continues. Or you can push your knowledge and skills and attempt a single credit run. Polished off that challenge? Attempt to run the game in a single life or even a no-hit run. Can you complete the game only killing the bosses? Good shmups allow for these approaches to playing the game. You can get as crazy deep as you like, which ultimately culminates in score chasing and leaderboards.

Jamestown supports this kind of approach to playing. The game is arranged in such a way that you can start on the simplest difficulties and these levels will teach you the mechanics you need to progress towards the next set of stages and the ramp up in difficulty. I have some quibbles with the game mechanically here and there but it's approach to teaching you how to play and progress is really well done.

And there are even better games for this on Steam. Crimzon Clover just got released recently and it's awesome. There is Ikaruga too of course. Astebreed is freaking breathtaking, epic and so mechanically tight it squeaks. The Suguri games are super unique and have great gameplay and fabulous mechanics as well. The games in the Gundemonium Collection are absolutely insane and feature brilliant and off the wall mechanics. This isn't even getting into sidescrollers. See you may notice a trend here and it's mechanics mechanics mechanics. Shmups may appear to be all about twitch reflexes and rote memorization but the good ones are so much more than that.

Drake on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    By the way, I've said it before and I'll say it again - I would perform unspeakable acts for Gradius V to come to Steam. Preferably a ton of Treasure games, but most of all that one. Ikaruga's appearance means it might be possible...

I do wonder how well Ikaruga did on Steam. I never did pick it up on here because I knew I wouldn't play it for more than a few minutes before tucking it away forever. Awesome game, but it's hard as hell and I am rarely in the mood for it. I would love to see other Treasure classics come to Steam, although you can get most of their Sega Genesis/Mega Drive in the Sega Genesis Classics Packs 4 & 5.

I really loved Mischief Makers on the N64, although I heard a long time ago that game will probably never come out on any other system due to some weirdness with publishing rights. It'd also be nice to see some super version of Bangai-O on Steam -- one that has the N64 version, the Dreamcast version, and the version that came out on XBLA a few years back. I'll be surprised if that ever happens though. :(

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    DoDonPachi, why aren't all of these games on Steam why, Why, WHY?

I mean sure Ikaruga is brilliantly crafted but it's not as playable as tons of other games that are arguably more fun because of easier accessibility.

• Options
    geometryhearthfirewars.jpg

Goshdarnit @JaysonFour‌! This is not contributing to quitting the Skyrimcrack addiction! :P

But thanks so much! <3<3<3

Now I can build a home in my fantasy land....

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY @VIKING!

And now you all know, you know what to do.

• Options

impression so far:
    1. The gui looks and feels and awful lot like steam.
    2. It has a wishlist feature which is nice as it is by game and tracks when your game is on sale for you no matter what site has the sale.
    3. It autosearches: Amazon, greenmangaming, steam, gamersgate, gamestop, GOG, Origin so far (still beta) but promises more as testing works out bugs.
    4. There was a question posed to The CEO of razer about whether or not they would add google wallet support to buy games at the best price regardless of vendor directly through the interface, to which he gave a winky smiley and no other information so who knows. I think this would be difficult at best to pull off due to log ins and account level information at each vendor.
    5. The sorting and filter options are pretty standard: % off, $ off, highest price, lowest price etc.
    6. I like the gui interface way better than isthereanydeal.
    7. it does look like a promotions section is on one of the rotating lists on the latest tab, but it just shows the supported stores and information about cortex. It also promises special deals exclusive to cortex after beta but we will see.

overall it is nice so far, very few complaints and I am curious to see where it goes.

camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.