As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

METAL... GEAR?!

• Options
    Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    I just love that ocelot named it diamond dog.

That seems like the kind of thing he'd do.

Also Lisa from P.T. as a decoy is pretty cool

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    I wonder if there's any good Guinness in Tokyo

There's good Guinness everywhere.
    Surprising, they must keeping all the bad stuff for around here.

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    I'm amazed for all the crazy shit we've already learned about MGS5 kojima still has stuff to reveal at this stage as surprising as a eye-patched wolf companion

this game is going to be bonkers you guys

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular

Just drink Murphys instead

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    why is japan so cool this week

a wolf with an eyepatch as your best friend and a jrpg about taking a roadtrip with your best buds

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular

Oh you're doing that thing.

Okay Guinness is the same everywhere.

sig.gif
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    Guinness is awful in every location on Earth.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    god fultoning is the dumbest thing

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Metal Gear's nanomachines are basically magic, and fultoning makes even less sense than they do

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Metal Gear's nanomachines are basically magic, and fultoning makes even less sense than they do

it is literally impossible for something to make less sense than nanomachines do in Metal Gear games

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

that's pretty funny because Fulton Recovery was a real thing

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    nanomachines are a real thing too, that doesn't make them any more realistic in the context of metal gear

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I'm not sure why they would need to be realistic.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    nanomachines are a real thing too, that doesn't make them any more realistic in the context of metal gear

Yes, but the only embellishments to the fulton system in Peace Walker was that people you fultoned were picked up in a helicopter instead of a plane, and that it worked inside, which is just a gameplay concession.

Whereas MGS nanomachines are, as you said, for all intents and purposes magic. Not that that's a big deal because Metal Gear is supposed to be silly.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    The most unrealistic thing in Metal Gear is the box delivery travel system in MGS.

A fast and efficient internal mail system? Oh Kojima, you scamp.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    The main dumb thing is that given how much fultoning you do, there must be a horde of magic invisible balloon recovery helicopters hovering around snake's head at all times that neither you nor the enemy forces ever notice. And if there were any anti-aircraft threat in the area they shouldn't be able to collect the balloons at all.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Yeah I really hate how that ruins my immersion

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    You know I'm just going to say if like...in the history of Metal Gear...you start drawing the line at hot air balloons and their questionable mode of recovery.

I don't think you were paying a lot of attention.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    The main dumb thing is that given how much fultoning you do, there must be a horde of magic invisible balloon recovery helicopters hovering around snake's head at all times that neither you nor the enemy forces ever notice. And if there were any anti-aircraft threat in the area they shouldn't be able to collect the balloons at all.

It's simple, really. It all falls under Newton's first law of Helicopter preservation.

For every helicopter shot down in Resident Evil, a helicopter has to not be shot down in Metal Gear. The Fulton system is just applied physics.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I cut my finger the other week and immediately ate an army ration and what the fuck it didn't heal me? Metal Gear you have ruined everything with your lies!!!!

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Guys I hate it when my dude gets shot in the chest and both legs and can still move at all.

• Options
    I feel like the main, non-boss-fight/non-cutscene gameplay has always tried to be fairly gritty and realistic, like the camouflage and injury systems in MGS3, or the dynamic battlefields in MGS4, or just the stealth gameplay that the series is built around. Fultoning is part of the attempting-to-be-somewhat-realistic gameplay system part of the series, not the silly-boss-with-superpowers part, so you can't really say it's ok for it to be unrealistic because in a different part of the game there's a fight on horseback with a guy who creates animals out of fire.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    The most unrealistic thing in Metal Gear is the box delivery travel system in MGS.

A fast and efficient internal mail system? Oh Kojima, you scamp.

The mail system in Japan was amazing. I miss it.

It seems an odd thing to miss but man, it was just the best. You could ship your luggage to the airport ahead of you and it would show up on time, every time.

• Options
    Fultoning guys in Metal Gear is meant to have the exact same comedic effect as when a character gets hooked off the stage in a loony tunes episode.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    metal gear is strong in instances of lore or story

when it all gets put together, it's pretty inconsistent and sloppy

you really just have to try to focus on those instances to maximize your enjoyment

unless you're the type of sicko that enjoys flaws like that

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Like, there is an entire level in Peace Walker based around shooting down your fultoned comrades before they get kidnapped.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I feel like the main, non-boss-fight/non-cutscene gameplay has always tried to be fairly gritty and realistic, like the camouflage and injury systems in MGS3, or the dynamic battlefields in MGS4, or just the stealth gameplay that the series is built around. Fultoning is part of the attempting-to-be-somewhat-realistic gameplay system part of the series, not the silly-boss-with-superpowers part, so you can't really say it's ok for it to be unrealistic because in a different part of the game there's a fight on horseback with a guy who creates animals out of fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8zGINIEWZU

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Alternatively,
    Crocodile_cap.jpg

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    not to belabor the point but
    http://youtu.be/5CWSpt_wpkc
    metal gear is the world's premiere tactical espionage action simulator

(i love posting videos of that thing in action)

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I don't feel like Metal Gear's gameplay has ever tried to really be "realistic." More like, it tries to offer a pretty specific fantasy in as much detail as possible.

Gundi on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    They tried a game about abducting recruiting dudes without Fultoning them.

It was called Portable Ops and everyone hated it.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    metal gear games are thoroughly researched, grounded in real world politics, history, and technology, and on the whole have a high attention to detail

so I can understand why you might think kojima is going for grit and realism

but really what is happening is that the metal gear universe is extremely internally consistent

at the end of the day it is still anime as fuck

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Alternatively,
    X2NZYNp.png

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    New phone lock screen

http://imgur.com/cT9Zqj1

Imgur on mobile is balls

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    metal gear is simultaneously super goofy and super serious and in my subjective opinion pulls it off excellently

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I want that.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    metal gear is simultaneously super goofy and super serious and in my subjective opinion pulls it off excellently

I would add a "usually" in there but yeah

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2nZHmugT4A

this stream was supposed to start 17 minutes ago

they played us like a damn fiddle

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    i love you sugita
    k2AwAmx.png

• Options
    sick neck tats

I just put the stream on, anything interesting so far?

uc3ufTB.png
This discussion has been closed.