As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's time for a REAL [Superhero] Movie!

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    maybe they'll be black and the guy is really bad at puns.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I swear DC Comics actually has Batman's song from Lego Movie playing constantly over their office PA system

Didio all noddin' his head like "this song rocks"

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    You know what, if DC going all dark and grim means Marvel stays colorful and uplifting then that's A OK with me.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Oh right, the x-men phalanx guy is named warlock.

(all I know about him is from his team up with the adam warlock)

And they both have an archenemy named Magus.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    It'll be pretty hard to get darker than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyTlagNBRv0

I bet that gave a lot of kids nightmares when it aired.

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I know I'm a month late on this, but the local theater in my small town finally got TMNT (they got that dumb looking tornado movie that week instead). Guys, it's really good. It's funny, the action scenes are great and easy to follow, and the whole thing is just fun. Megan Fox is even decent. She isn't amazing or anything but she doesn't detract from the movie at all.

I...I think I liked it more than GotG...

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Whaaaaat

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I know I'm a month late on this, but the local theater in my small town finally got TMNT (they got that dumb looking tornado movie that week instead). Guys, it's really good. It's funny, the action scenes are great and easy to follow, and the whole thing is just fun. Megan Fox is even decent. She isn't amazing or anything but she doesn't detract from the movie at all.

This is crazy

Like I actually really liked it, but you're crazy

The first 30 minutes is waaaaay too slow

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    That said: Yay! I'm not the only one

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Dude. Did you get the CGI movie because the live action one is completely not like that at all.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

Dude. Did you get the CGI movie because the live action one is completely not like that at all.

No it is

There are solid jokes, the action scenes are well plotted and it doesn't take itself seriously

There just isn't enough of any of those things

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I have a question about the MCU.

What is the Nine Realms in relation to Cosmic Marvel?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    TrippyJing wrote: »

Part of it but distinct from what I can tell

Like they're a weird star system that people avoid because crazy Viking assholes live there

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    How strong is a normal asgardian

• Options
    Loki was strong enough to beat Cap up and pretty dang resilient

Technically he's a Frost Giant I guess but Sif was pretty similar on AoS

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Yeah but Sif is a warrior

Like how strong is Billy the Shopkeeper

• Options

According to that random Asgardian hiding out on Earth in AoS, strong enough to bend iron/metal

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

According to that random Asgardian hiding out on Earth in AoS, strong enough to bend iron/metal

Gotcha

Has that ever been addressed in the comics version?

• Options
    It's similar, I think? Cause the Thunderbolts got pretty roughed up by a troop of normal Asgardian footsoldiers in Siege

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Avengers #35
    I hope Hickman makes good use of Captain Britain.

I really wonder what the Illuminati have been up to. Do they know about the Cabal? It seems like the Avengers don't.
    I'm guessing
    They've been a lot more heroic in the 8 months, trying to solve the incursion problem, fighting off the Cabal, maybe tangling with those alt universe Builder invaders Starbrand found. Meanwhile the Avengers largely disbanded because SHIELD took over and they're more obsessed with finding Tony than stoppingthe incursions.

It lets Hickman somewhat redeem their arc and keeps the Avengers from being the perfect good guys
    Any sign of Cap in the issue? I remember him being on the covers for this time-shift.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular

Gotcha

At one point the Asgardians were hiding out in Latveria and Doom was secretly experimenting on some of them - I forget if they mentioned anything about strength but I remember him taking a random guy's heart out and it taking like half an hour for him to die.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular

Gotcha

Uhhh like in the period where Asgard was on earth doom was trying to harvest their innards cause they were better, and they were stronger. Also in the new Thor book all the asgardians were turned into slaves and lived for hundreds of years

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »

From appearences, they're specific planet/planetoids within a steller body known as the world tree. Beyond that, we don't know why they have special significant to Asgard that other worlds do not.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    So there's no way this Gwen Stacey stuff doesn't become its own thing, right

Marvel is actually super smart and pays attention to what's popular?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Oh hey, someone put up the last couple of pages of Avengers #35 over at GV.
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Avengers #35, take a look at where the Marvel Universe is 8 months from now:
    On Earth, SHIELD took over the Avengers:

avengers35b_zps7d35d853.jpg

avengers35c_zps3de79883.jpg

avengers35d_zps6b9dfc02.jpg

Uh..hmm...wait a minute.
    The previous story had a panel of Cap and Tony's future with them fighting in a city (San Francisco) which looks to be getting wrecked due to it being an Incursion epicenter. Now we have heroes working with the government to capture other heroes who're trying to do their own thing to save the world, with at least one of said government-backed heroes threatening prison-time of unspecified time and possibly torture if that 'You will talk' line is meant to hint as such. Is...is Hickman using part of his story to make a Civil War sequel?

Owenashi on
  • Options
    People have been saying Hickman's run is Civil War done right for, like, a year

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Yggdrasil is a nebula in actual space but the nine worlds within it also have mystical significance

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    MikeLLMikeLL What it do NEPHEW? Registered User regular
    Keith wrote: »
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/17/new-animated-justice-league-digital-series-in-the-works
    A new digital three-part animated Justice League series is in the works from DC Entertainment, Warner Bros., and Machinima.

Variety reports that Justice League: Gods and Monsters Chronicles will hit in spring of 2015 and will “revolve around a newly conceived reality in the DC Universe where Justice League members Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are much darker versions of the Super Heroes that people think they know.”

Every Warner Bros superhero adaptation is going to be "darker versions than you think you know" until they're just 120 minutes of a completely black screen

What if superheros are the real monsters guys.

woah woah wait, what if there was a bad superman, that's such a radical never-been-done-before idea.

what if we do batman, but like...gritty.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Batman TAS was already pretty dark and gritty

I don't even know what this is supposed to be if it's worse

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    TAS was pulpy and gothic but pulled it off because those are specific tones and not just UH DARK AND GRIM WE GUESS

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    DARK AND GRIM is just becoming the worst synonym for ADULT

Like... Like adults don't love cartoonish or wacky or colorful or fun things!?!?

FUCK!!!!

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I almost want to blame Nolan for starting this off with his Batman trilogy but no!

That wouldn't be fair and his trilogy still has moments of humor, levity and inspiration.

I just... I feel like we are trapped in this horrid maelstrom of angst & fear.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    DARK AND GRIM is just becoming the worst synonym for ADULT

Like... Like adults don't love cartoonish or wacky or colorful or fun things!?!?

FUCK!!!!

"Dark and grim"/"Adult" things aren't for adults really, they're for teenagers who think that's what "adult" things are.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I almost want to blame Nolan for starting this off with his Batman trilogy but no!

That wouldn't be fair and his trilogy still has moments of humor, levity and inspiration.

I think all of this stuff is going to reflect poorly on the Nolan movies in a few years

It's probably going to be hard to remember the original feelings of how bold those movies were after years of Grim And Serious DCU garbage

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

I think all of this stuff is going to reflect poorly on the Nolan movies in a few years

It's probably going to be hard to remember the original feelings of how bold those movies were after years of Grim And Serious DCU garbage

If DC keeps on their current trajectory, in a few years the Nolan films will be good viewing for their idealistic, lighthearted attitude.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    As dark as Batman: TAS was, there were a lot of episodes that focused on hope and redemption. I always liked Bruce's relationship with Harvey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpFEP-jTfd8
    Although, Dick did eventually leave and Harvey's insanity became worse and he developed a third personality that actually tried to kill Two-Face.

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014

It's Watchmen and the 90s all over again!

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Man, that Spider-verse villain description bums me out. I thought the event would've been better.

This discussion has been closed.