As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's [chat]

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Not Scottish, but I'd vote no because:

- The logistics of disentangling a union that is 300 years old will be arduous, with all sorts of complex questions about membership and the economy and stuff, and while Alex Salmond has acknowledged independence is not a magic bullet, I am not sold on his plans for dealing with these issues.
    - The loss of 40 Scottish MPs makes it harder for the Conservative Party to lose power, although they'd have a bloody rough time of it next year, given that this was literally their idea. At present England outnumbers the other nations 5 to 1, and I think that imbalance of power is part of the desire to break away. I'd be more in favour of federalism where England is subdivided accordingly.
    - Most importantly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYihhSS9kic

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    South Sudan shook oil and the world in a minimal fashion.

There isn't enough in South Sudan to really shake anything.

Scotland leaving will throw fire on a few already existing independence movements such as Catalonia and I guess there is on in Belgium between the French speakers and the Dutch speakers.

But it would also put some of the older ones into a new context. In Asia that would be Tibet and the Uyghur movements.

And also lets not forget the Kurds and Czeczenia.

The bigger shock would be around Scotland's econ and oil reserves and how likely they are too fall into the oil curse.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Bx0FFksIMAAF9gO.jpg:medium

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    but like seriously the UK are my closest neighbours and I still don't see why it matters to us whether or not scotland goes independent

The negotiation on North Sea infrastructure between iScotland and rUK will have an impact on Norwegian industry due to the shared pipelines and operations in some fields.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    then we march on schleswig-holstein and make right the crime of 1864.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    The biggest impact of Scotland internationally will be 2 years of uncertainty whilst the UK negotiates with itself about an important part leaving and how that effects everything. Then its diminished power to do stuff after that.

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    I hope Scotland does go independent.

It would perhaps be the biggest wake up call to the world in a long time.

to the world? but we don't care

South Sudan was created in 2011, and I don't think the world was drastically shaken up.

In what way would an independent Scotland wake the world up?

South Sudan is where exactly?

Scotland is a western European country that just decided to peacefully cede from GB after 300 years of marriage.

I'm pretty sure there are a few other places in Europe that'd like their own independence.

in the sudan. Also south sudan shook the world up more than an independent scotland will. There's some major geopolitical interests at odds in the sudan. Not so much in scotland.

Anyway, an inpedendent scotland means bollocks for other separatist movements in europe.

Where as Scotland is currently a member of a nation with a seat on the UN Security Council.

And South Sudan shook the world up because of oil

and? finish your sentences.

Scotland being a part of a UNSC member matters to the world... how?

south sudan shook the world up because of oil is relevant... how?

Because of the fact that there are only five permanent seats on the Security Council, Britain is one of them. The country might possibly be split in half because of this. Do you not think nations like China or Russia won't notice that? Beyond that, do you not think one of the most prominent nations in the world being split in two won't grab -any- attention of other parts of the world that seek independence?

Also oil is probably the biggest geopolitical reason South Sudan exists. The revenue from oil constitutes 98% of South Sudan's budget. China is a major investor in their oil. But it's also drying up and they're in the middle of a civil war.

Beyond oil I don't think they have much

• Options
    Dis' wrote: »
    but like seriously the UK are my closest neighbours and I still don't see why it matters to us whether or not scotland goes independent

The negotiation on North Sea infrastructure between iScotland and rUK will have an impact on Norwegian industry due to the shared pipelines and operations in some fields.

yeah but it would probably change jack all. In terms of having impact on norwegian industry, ukraine and crimea has a far greater impact than scotland.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    The majority of Spain points and laughs at Catalonia. And at ethnic minorities. And at societies of law. And at the environment.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Oh shit, now Pop has a question mark. What does this mean for reactions?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    The majority of Spain points and laughs at Catalonia. And at ethnic minorities. And at societies of law. And at the environment.

The gypsies would probably prefer to be laughed at rather than what usually ends up happening to them.

• Options

And Crackle has lost its !

We're doomed

• Options

South Sudan was created in 2011, and I don't think the world was drastically shaken up.

Scotland is a western European country that just decided to peacefully cede from GB after 300 years of marriage.

I'm pretty sure there are a few other places in Europe that'd like their own independence.

in the sudan. Also south sudan shook the world up more than an independent scotland will. There's some major geopolitical interests at odds in the sudan. Not so much in scotland.

Anyway, an inpedendent scotland means bollocks for other separatist movements in europe.

Where as Scotland is currently a member of a nation with a seat on the UN Security Council.

Because of the fact that there are only five permanent seats on the Security Council, Britain is one of them. The country might possibly be split in half because of this. Do you not think nations like China or Russia won't notice that? Beyond that, do you not think one of the most prominent nations in the world being split in two won't grab -any- attention of other parts of the world that seek independence?

Also oil is probably the biggest geopolitical reason South Sudan exists. The revenue from oil constitutes 98% of South Sudan's budget. China is a major investor in their oil. But it's also drying up and they're in the middle of a civil war.

I know that's the geopolitical interests in sudan I'm talking about.

Anyway, still don't see the big relevance to the security council? Are you saying an independent scotland would mean a big shift in power internationally? Because scotland is a small part of the UK.

And okay, it gets the attention of other parts of the world that seek independence. And then what?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    PLA wrote: »

So the vibe I'm getting is that Catalonia does not really deserve to be laughed at?

Well Barcelona is a pretty cool city.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    @surrealitycheck‌
    Happy national cheezburg day

may your patties be plump
    and ur cheez be gooey

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

That the entire endeavor is intended to be as useless as possible.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Mornin', all

• Options
    Scots Wha Hae

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    as an avid paradox grand strategy fan, I'm pro blobbing and I'm anti releasing countries unless it's for meta-gamey exploits

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    P10 wrote: »
    as an avid paradox grand strategy fan, I'm pro blobbing and I'm anti releasing countries unless it's for meta-gamey exploits

As Germany, I always liberate Vietnam in Kaiserreich because the grief of holding onto it directly is not worth it.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Whoa whoa whoa whoa wait

Pop?

What kind of half assed hesitating firework is this?!

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I try to liberate crappy cities to the AI after vassaling them via conquest

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    i haven't voted yet

i am about to go do so

ugh this whole thing is filling me with stress and anxiety

i want it to be over

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Whoa whoa whoa whoa wait

Pop?

What kind of half assed hesitating firework is this?!

It's not a firework. It's a question of parentage.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Another big impact would be Scotland would be out of NATO and would have to reapply like a new member country. and their current we don't want any nukes policy would probably get them denied.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular

Robin Ticciati - Conductor

Gil Shaham - Violin
    program

Wagner - Prelude to Act I of Lohengrin

Berg - Violin Concerto

Ligeti - Atmosphères

Debussy - La Mer

sploosh

• Options
    Another big impact would be Scotland would be out of NATO and would have to reapply like a new member country. and their current we don't want any nukes policy would probably get them denied.

eh?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    since when is nukes a NATO requirement?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    CbaUfmil.png

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Bx0FFksIMAAF9gO.jpg:medium

I shop at this store all the time. They put the best shit on their labels

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    which way would chat vote i wonder?

DIRECT CHAT DEMOCRACY

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    In fact, I am like two blocks from there right now

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    geth tell me which way to vote

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    you ever notice how smoke detector batteries never die at 4:00 PM

and of course the extra battery I had made sure to purchase last time was nowhere to be found

ffuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

Anyway, still don't see the big relevance to the security council? Are you saying an independent scotland would mean a big shift in power internationally? Because scotland is a small part of the UK.

And okay, it gets the attention of other parts of the world that seek independence. And then what?

The relevance to the security council is the fact that the UK is on it. Everyone knows where the UK is located, everyone knows their history with the UK. Everyone is watching and waiting to see what happens because there probably isn't a person on this Earth who couldn't point out Britain on a map.

The UK being split is a bigger deal than Sudan being split, but not necessarily for the same reasons. I don't think Sudan has existed as a nation for 300+ years. If a 300 year old union can be broken up via democratic process, what other parts of Western Europe might want their own independence.

What nations might use that sort of shit to their own benefit (Russia)

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I'm officially down 50 full pounds as of this morning!

Feeling great :)

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    the lesson being learnt is Don't Grant Self Government, The Nationalists Won't Be Satisfied

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Twelve dollars a pound is heinous even for cheese.

• Options
    Casual wrote: »
    i haven't voted yet

i am about to go do so

ugh this whole thing is filling me with stress and anxiety

i want it to be over

Yea or nay?

C'mon, Cas, pick one!

DON'T RUIN YOUR COUNTRY THOUGH

• Options

The relevance to the security council is the fact that the UK is on it. Everyone knows where the UK is located, everyone knows their history with the UK. Everyone is watching and waiting to see what happens because there probably isn't a person on this Earth who couldn't point out Britain on a map.

The UK being split is a bigger deal than Sudan being split, but not necessarily for the same reasons. I don't think Sudan has existed as a nation for 300+ years. If a 300 year old union can be broken up via democratic process, what other parts of Western Europe might want their own independence.

What nations might use that sort of shit to their own benefit (Russia)

how is it relevant to UK being on the security council, jesus fuck

yes, everyone knows that UK is in the UNSC

that is not being debated

what would independent scotland change re: the UNSC?

ftOqU21.png
This discussion has been closed.