As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny] Enrage timers and high fashion! Chatterwhite for everyone!

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Erevar wrote: »
    Grislo wrote: »
    I'm really tempted by the armour, but the strength thing is a huge downside to me. Hmm.

Oh it gives Strength?

No deal

Total garbage stat

I like that Warlock melee = Energy Drain = more grenades, but it would be nice if Bungie would ensure that Discipline is the stat on exotics that improve grenades functionality.

In the only content that is difficult enough for it to matter, getting into melee range means you are probably dead. Even as a Sunsinger where my melee gives me over shield, in any level 28 content usually when the enemy immediately retaliates I end up nearly dead. If it's Lightswitch I just straight up die.

You are always, always, always better off with Discipline and Intellect.

I really, really disagree. You will always lose a 1v1 to somebody with increased melee speed and strengh if you have none. Unless you're one of those people who run around with a shotgun, and then I hate you. Add in Life Drain or the Flame Shield, and punching people is a great strat in PvP. I don't understand you Warlocks who don't punch things.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Honestly, I think Nightfall strikes are the single worst element of Destiny and would be happy to see them completely redesigned

Vault of Glass does such a good job of making hard fights that are also fun and interesting

Nightfall is the complete opposite, it is hard but not fun, hard through sheer numbers bullshit instead of actually interesting content.

VoG asks you to take what you learned in the main game and expand on it. Every skillset is important, the game just asks you to do more.

Nightfall takes everything you learned in the main game and ignores it. Don't make risky plays. Don't ever be aggressive. Hide in a corner and snipe for 30-90 minutes.

Nightfall is a testament to terrible game design. Nightfall is The Darkness, eternally present, always threatening to destroy fun gameplay with artificial difficulty. We must be vigilant against Nightfall, for it could overtake all of Destiny.

it's not my favorite either - favoring super-cautious play and sniping - and i guess also it's kind of lazy design, but to its credit it does force you to approach encounters in a different way from how you generally do, which is a good thing for a challenge mode.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Honestly, I think Nightfall strikes are the single worst element of Destiny and would be happy to see them completely redesigned

Vault of Glass does such a good job of making hard fights that are also fun and interesting

Nightfall is the complete opposite, it is hard but not fun, hard through sheer numbers bullshit instead of actually interesting content.

VoG asks you to take what you learned in the main game and expand on it. Every skillset is important, the game just asks you to do more.

Nightfall takes everything you learned in the main game and ignores it. Don't make risky plays. Don't ever be aggressive. Hide in a corner and snipe for 30-90 minutes.

Nightfall is a testament to terrible game design. Nightfall is The Darkness, eternally present, always threatening to destroy fun gameplay with artificial difficulty. We must be vigilant against Nightfall, for it could overtake all of Destiny.

so, I take it you hated the LASO challenges in Halo? Were those terrible game design too? Because I think of these as a weaker version of those in that only the Iron skull is active, you're playing on legendary and 3 random skulls are active.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    DarkythDarkyth WARegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    This is really frustrating.

Only 7 wins away from Iron Banner rank 2 and i'm getting screwed hard by the team balancing.

I'll maybe go 3 or 4 games where we don't win, then get balanced into a winning team, where i'll be dominant only to get shoved into the losing team to try and balance it out again for another 3 or 4 games.

It could be worse. You could end up on my team.

You know after you left last night we won every match. I am not even kidding...

Steam: Darkith | PSN: Darkyth | Destiny | NNID: Darkith | XBL: Darkyth
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    New thread will be up when we get closer to 100. Don't wanna jump the gun, but I'm on it. Until then: Barbara!

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    CroakerCroaker Registered User regular
    I need a PS4 raid group this weekend. Anyone got a spot or the initiative to start one up?

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Darkyth wrote: »

Only 7 wins away from Iron Banner rank 2 and i'm getting screwed hard by the team balancing.

I'll maybe go 3 or 4 games where we don't win, then get balanced into a winning team, where i'll be dominant only to get shoved into the losing team to try and balance it out again for another 3 or 4 games.

CURSED!

• Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    @Alucard6986‌ @GMaster7‌ sorry I ignored your invites, I was just checking Xur on my Vita and forgot to turn it off :).

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Darkyth wrote: »

CURSED!

Now I wonder what would happen if you ran a raid. Like would no one get any loot?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    It seems like the Pax Arcadia raid finder didn't work out for Xbone EST this week. If anyone wants to try and organize a raid over the weekend, I'm game.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Arteen wrote: »
    It seems like the Pax Arcadia raid finder didn't work out for Xbone EST this week. If anyone wants to try and organize a raid over the weekend, I'm game.

There are quite a few Xbone people looking for groups on that sheet but not enough with the same schedule to form a full group of 6.

I'd recommend looking there, @Arteen, and finding as many people with similar schedules as you, then hitting up the thread to fill out the remaining spots. I'd recommend doing this every week, tbh.

From what I've found, most people have friends they know that want to join in if there is a space available in a raid group.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    Panic call for VoG end boss. Come join us get killed over and over again!

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    ErevarErevar The Nounverber Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

There are quite a few Xbone people looking for groups on that sheet but not enough with the same schedule to form a full group of 6.

I'd recommend looking there, @Arteen, and finding as many people with similar schedules as you, then hitting up the thread to fill out the remaining spots. I'd recommend doing this every week, tbh.

From what I've found, most people have friends they know that want to join in if there is a space available in a raid group.

Or alts to raid with.

Or just like running the raid with awesome P-A'ers for fun-time experiences without the loot-carrot.

I think I can safely say that I will always volunteer to help with raids on the Xbone if people need warm bodies. (and I'm available, of course)

KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
    I can't get off until Shad gives me permission.
  • Options
    VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    @Nocren‌
    @shoeboxjeddy‌
    @Visskar‌
    @Hiryu02‌
    @Evil Monkey

plus me makes 6. New raiders, pick a day/time (I think I would prefer Sunday) and let's make this happen.

If any other 360 Raid Rookies want in, one of the veterans can step aside to make room.

Fair warning: Evil Monkey traded his immortal soul to Loot Satan in exchange for worldly power. He will get all the drops.

All of them.

Even yours.

I'm good with either Sat or Sun evenings. Saturday I can probably do anytime during the evening, but the 360 is attached to our one TV so Sunday I'm not available until after 9:30 CST or so.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElixirElixir Saving Your Ass Alchemists and Belts EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Elixir wrote: »
    So I am confused about raiding gear and trying to plan out my Warlock's armor situation. Are there two sets or raid gear regular and hard mode? If so is there any real difference? Does the helm only drop on hard mode? I'm now hesitant about getting a exotic chest/arms when it seems that an exotic helm might be the best for hitting 30 without needed to roll VoG on hard.

Silly Bungie expecting rando posts on the internetz to explain their game for them!

Got it. So I'm gonna rock an exotic helm and raid hands, feet, chest to hit lvl 30 then. I want to be able to be LL 30 when raiding VoG on hard.

on a related note... XUR WHY YOU NO SELL WARLOCK HATS!

ElixirSulfClipCropped1(s)1.jpg

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    So, grabbed an Exotic Helmet Engram from Xur and I got Helm of Saint-14. I was hoping for one of the Warlock helmets, but it could have been much worse.
    Tommatt wrote: »
    I'm really tempted by the armour, but the strength thing is a huge downside to me. Hmm.

Oh it gives Strength?

No deal

Total garbage stat

I like that Warlock melee = Energy Drain = more grenades, but it would be nice if Bungie would ensure that Discipline is the stat on exotics that improve grenades functionality.

In the only content that is difficult enough for it to matter, getting into melee range means you are probably dead. Even as a Sunsinger where my melee gives me over shield, in any level 28 content usually when the enemy immediately retaliates I end up nearly dead. If it's Lightswitch I just straight up die.

I really, really disagree. You will always lose a 1v1 to somebody with increased melee speed and strengh if you have none. Unless you're one of those people who run around with a shotgun, and then I hate you. Add in Life Drain or the Flame Shield, and punching people is a great strat in PvP. I don't understand you Warlocks who don't punch things.

I thought I was pretty clear that I was not talking about PvP, but here we go.

I was not talking about PvP, I kind of don't like the Crucible, though yes again Strength can be a valuable stat there.

• Options
    So I am confused about raiding gear and trying to plan out my Warlock's armor situation. Are there two sets or raid gear regular and hard mode? If so is there any real difference? Does the helm only drop on hard mode? I'm now hesitant about getting a exotic chest/arms when it seems that an exotic helm might be the best for hitting 30 without needed to roll VoG on hard.

Silly Bungie expecting rando posts on the internetz to explain their game for them!

Got it. So I'm gonna rock an exotic helm and raid hands, feet, chest to hit lvl 30 then. I want to be able to be LL 30 when raiding VoG on hard.

Engrambling!

KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Anyone want to do the weekly heroic strike at level 28?

on PS4

Al_wat on
  • Options
    ElixirElixir Saving Your Ass Alchemists and Belts EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Croaker wrote: »
    I need a PS4 raid group this weekend. Anyone got a spot or the initiative to start one up?

I should have a final boss checkpoint still...
    I'm in either way.

Elixir on

• Options
    So, grabbed an Exotic Helmet Engram from Xur and I got Helm of Saint-14. I was hoping for one of the Warlock helmets, but it could have been much worse.

Oh it gives Strength?

No deal

Total garbage stat

I was not talking about PvP, I kind of don't like the Crucible, though yes again Strength can be a valuable stat there.

For PVE hunters have a build that has a throwing knife that is about a snipers worth of damage with a dot can be useful for boss fights.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

Wasn't he selling one week before last?

Yes, it was Apotheosis Veil: http://www.destinydb.com/items/2771018501-apotheosis-veil#1.MbVoXp8

Houn on
  • Options
    morgan_cokemorgan_coke Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I'm up for the raid this weekend on xbone, just tried to put in availability on the spreadsheet, but i can't input for some reason

EDIT: morgan_coke on xbl, available pretty much any time the royals aren't playing this weekend. #huntforblueoctober

morgan_coke on
    XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.
    Battle.net: morgancoke#1589

Titan's Creed: Jump first, don't ask questions, punch everything
  • Options

Wasn't he selling one week before last?

Yes, it was Apotheosis Veil: http://www.destinydb.com/items/2771018501-apotheosis-veil#1.MbVoXp8

Goddamnit

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Oh it gives Strength?

No deal

Total garbage stat

For PVE hunters have a build that has a throwing knife that is about a snipers worth of damage with a dot can be useful for boss fights.

The throwing knife is just for fun. My 291 attack primary does enough damage that the length of the throwing knife animation, combined with the different point of aim, makes it ineffective vs. simply reloading and continuing to fire as normal with a primary weapon.

Honestly, throwing knife is so bad I'd prefer to literally have no melee special at all on gunslinger. I really wish I could disable it.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

I'll consider it, thanks!

• Options

Oh it gives Strength?

No deal

Total garbage stat

The throwing knife is just for fun. My 291 attack primary does enough damage that the length of the throwing knife animation, combined with the different point of aim, makes it ineffective vs. simply reloading and continuing to fire as normal with a primary weapon.

Honestly, throwing knife is so bad I'd prefer to literally have no melee special at all on gunslinger. I really wish I could disable it.

Eh it hits hard enough and can be fired and forgotten when you are shooting and scooting.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CroakerCroaker Registered User regular
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Panic call for VoG end boss. Come join us get killed over and over again!

FrankAustin on PSN!

• Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Spot open again

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Yes! Finally! The daily gave me shards!

I'm swimming in damn ascendant energy.

• Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    So I'm level 28, I've completely levelled my chest of Alpha lupi, i've upgraded my gauntlets all but one, and i've done my helmet and boots up to where you have to start spending shards. Should I stop here and save future shards for better gear? i.e, should I be trying to raid now to get that gear to go from 28 to 30?

• Options
    Yeah 28 for the first tier of the raid is more than fine. That's what I raid at and I'm mostly ok.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

Oh it gives Strength?

No deal

Total garbage stat

Doesn't it not trigger if you are actually within melee range of the target? It should never be worse than a melee, I mostly play blade dancer on my hunter so I'm not super familiar with it.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    No if you are within actual knifing range you won't throw a knife, you have to be outside of melee distance.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    No if you are within actual knifing range you won't throw a knife, you have to be outside of melee distance.

With the caveat that if the target moves or you miscalculate the distance, then you tend to throw the knife away for no good reason and trigger the cooldown.

Having played a lot on my Warlock recently, I have to say that they have the best melee. It's just always good. <_<

KkrouBB.png
    Bogaerts wrote:
  • Options
    Yeah literally every other class has a better melee attack in most situations than the hunter. The only benefit they in theory gets is that throwing knife goes further than any other melee attack, but its also the one attack you can fire off miss and lose your cool down.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Crayon wrote: »
    Wow people are idiots about weapons Xur sells. "I earned my *insert exotic here* and so you buying it from xur is bullshit." Despite there being exactly zero way you earned shit on a random drop from wherever, outside of Xur selling guns like thorn or bad juju you didn't do shit different than people who got coins.

One can easily argue that spending the time collecting 17 coins is much more in line with "earning" something as opposed to being lucky with the rng. In fact, it doesn't even need to be argued, it is more earned.

I definitely felt like I lucked out on my Suros drop, as opposed to somehow "earning" it.

Fuck yes, now I don't have to blow twenty three coins on this thing down the line!

I had 22 coins when Suros was for sale

I leveled an alt entirely to get a single coin so I could get that goddamn rifle (after doing about a dozen strikes and public events with 0 coin drops)

I finally finished the level 14-ish quest that gives you a coin no matter what to get up to 23

FML I finished it about 1 hour after Xur left for the week

Then I got Suros as a legendary engram drop the next day

So what you're saying is you almost got lucky by getting those 23 coins but didnt an then totally earned it the next day?

616610-1.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Yeah 28 for the first tier of the raid is more than fine. That's what I raid at and I'm mostly ok.

Really 27 is probably fine, 26 and you start being extra squishy and have trouble with the last few fights.

I finally caved and leveled up one of my normal legendaries after three weeks of raiding not giving me any raid armor. I didn't have any issues at 27 though.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Yeah literally every other class has a better melee attack in most situations than the hunter. The only benefit they in theory gets is that throwing knife goes further than any other melee attack, but its also the one attack you can fire off miss and lose your cool down.

I like Blink Strike; it works just fine.

No love for the Gunslinger "melee," however, except to goof off when completing bounties/patrols and you try and chain knife head-shots on Dregs/etc.

KkrouBB.png
    Bogaerts wrote:
  • Options
    Blink Strike is passable in pvp, but every other class doesn't have to be in a specific position to get the most out of their melee strike like Blink Strike does. And the amount of distance you cover in the "blink" is laughably small. Like @&quot;"Irond Will"‌ 's K/D ratio small.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
This discussion has been closed.