As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cicada [chat] about Cicadas, with some [chat]

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Echo wrote: »
    whats more terrifying, a horse sized praying mantis or 50 praying mantis sized horses

Look at these tiny brontosauruses!

6NMUjOA.jpg

god damn that tricked my brain hard

i let myself believe

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Ugh.

I was going to jokingly post #notallgamers, because why the hell would that be a thing.

Then I googled it.

And it's a thing.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    help my butt is full of farts

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote:
    Did you see my other post? I have a friend that is an editor of a small town free newspaper that has received death threats. That's a lot closer to the mark of vidya game writer and probably has a much smaller readership than a lot of even small time bloggers

I did. I don't know why it prompted you to post an even less analogous position but I don't find that one especially compelling either. Readership for their physical paper is at its lowest at 150k+ readers. That doesn't include their internet blogs. Sarkeesian only recently had as many subscribers as the newspaper alone in the last few months.

Though out of curiosity how often was your friend's home address tweeted and retweeted by a movement totally not about misogyny hating journalists?

150K? Internet blogs? What? Dude, im talking small. The town in question has a population of 50,000. The paper is basically the pennysaver with articles. The point of both anecdotes is that if you are a public figure in any capacity some asshole is going to send you a threat. It sucks, but it's sadly the way shit has been for a long while and it's not news. There's always going to be some asshole.

Oh sorry I misread.

So how many death threats and for what?

Cause Sarkeesian isn't being attacked by that one asshole down the street that everyone knows is a total jerk.

Anonymous and does the frequency really matter?
    They are threats made anonymously by one or a few people in a small audience over some bullshit like the coverage of a local car show or some thing.

I think the frequency does matter, yes. Is that a real question?

Well since we're keeping score for some reason, I think I received 2.
    I have no idea how many my editor buddy receives, but they come in the form of email and "actual fucking letters".
    is that enough?

Enough for what. I think the frequency matters in how it will affect someone psychologically. One is too much, but there is going to be a difference between intermittent threats and several, daily.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    see, J is doing a thing that I specifically talked about at the end of the last thread. Gonna quote it again, in case some missed it. J probably did.

It's from this article, which everyone should read: http://deadspin.com/the-future-of-the-culture-wars-is-here-and-its-gamerga-1646145844
    There is a reason why, in all the Gamergate rhetoric, you hear the echoes of every other social war staged in the last 30 years: overly politically correct, social-justice warriors, the media elite, gamers are not a monolith. There is also a reason why so much of the rhetoric amounts to a vigorous argument that Being a gamer doesn't mean you're sexist, racist, and stupid—a claim no one is making. Co-opting the language and posture of grievance is how members of a privileged class express their belief that the way they live shouldn't have to change, that their opponents are hypocrites and perhaps even the real oppressors. This is how you get St. Louisans sincerely explaining that Ferguson protestors are the real racists, and how you end up with an organized group of precisely the same video game enthusiasts to whom an entire industry is catering honestly believing that they're an oppressed minority. From this kind of ideological fortification, you can stage absolutely whatever campaigns you deem necessary.

emphasis mine

Except they are making that claim, by calling it "Group"-gate.

Gamegate was not something other people called these people, it was a self-identifying label for their movement, J

so fuckin' roll the dice again, bud

they call themselves that

they make the claim they are speaking for gamers, that they're defending gamers and defending what it means to be a gamer and something something integrity of games journalism

J, argue in good faith, please

i know it can be hard some days but

• Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular

Quick let them out.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    GAMERS CALLED IT GAMERGATE
    *explodes*

Actually, Adam Baldwin of all people coined that term.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    *explodes*

_J_'s points might be salient if he knew what he was talking about

• Options

Better than the strawberry jam from a few days ago.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Bomb threats: legitimate and investigated
    Threats against government: legitimate and investigated
    Terrorist threats: legitimate and investigated
    Threats against game developers and journalists: ?????????

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular

I'm sorry,

it's terminal.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Could someone give me a brief explanation for what's going on a gamers gate?

...also what is gamersgate?

I am literally the worst gamer.

Zoe Quinn made a game.
    Her ex-boyfriend said she cheated on him, maybe with some guy from Kotaku.
    4chan did some really quite horrible things.
    People outside of 4chan did some even more horrible things.
    Now all sexist assholes who play video games are sexist.

There have always been sexist assholes who do sexist asshole things. But now it's a claim made about "gaming culture", whatever that is.

I'm pretty sure "gaming culture" is not making death threats, and doxing that poor woman.

Every sub-culture has sexist assholes, that select group of assholes is who gamergate (and Anita Sarkeesian's enemies) is about. We don't group all assholes together since there are various types of assholes. The gaming industry has a specific type of asshole, which is similar to the assholes in comics. There's no need to clarify not all gamers do this to clarify who we're talking about.
    It shouldn't be called gamergate. It should be called "Tom, Gary, and Hank the sexist assholes gate."

Blame Adam Baldwin for giving it that name.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    hakkes you are the minotaur barbarian rounding out my party

what gaem is this

am i this one

jq37ela7xp5zqyspreux.jpg

(contractually obligated by @BEAST! to support the seahawks)

legend of glamcock 2

um

you are not that one per se

that is more like a lady, you are more like a cow person

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    whats more terrifying, a horse sized praying mantis or 50 praying mantis sized horses

6NMUjOA.jpg

god damn that tricked my brain hard

i let myself believe

It's okay, Eddy

For a few seconds you got to live in a world where magic is real.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    can we talk about how bayonetta 2 is sexist -2.5 points instead

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    This is what happens when you build a [chat] on the many legged, scuttling horrors of our world.

The ground is sour!

cptrugged on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Cass, I was having gastrointestinal distress earlier and there was a floor shaking rumble of air moving through the water pipes at the same time. I had a moment of horror where I wondered if I was in an 80's R-rated comedy. And then my next thought was how hard that would make you laugh.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular

6NMUjOA.jpg

Echo your confusing asses and heads again.
    Remember that time you tried to feed that angry koala?
    Eucalyptus suppository does not a happy koala make.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote:
    Did you see my other post? I have a friend that is an editor of a small town free newspaper that has received death threats. That's a lot closer to the mark of vidya game writer and probably has a much smaller readership than a lot of even small time bloggers

I did. I don't know why it prompted you to post an even less analogous position but I don't find that one especially compelling either. Readership for their physical paper is at its lowest at 150k+ readers. That doesn't include their internet blogs. Sarkeesian only recently had as many subscribers as the newspaper alone in the last few months.

Though out of curiosity how often was your friend's home address tweeted and retweeted by a movement totally not about misogyny hating journalists?

150K? Internet blogs? What? Dude, im talking small. The town in question has a population of 50,000. The paper is basically the pennysaver with articles. The point of both anecdotes is that if you are a public figure in any capacity some asshole is going to send you a threat. It sucks, but it's sadly the way shit has been for a long while and it's not news. There's always going to be some asshole.

Oh sorry I misread.

So how many death threats and for what?

Cause Sarkeesian isn't being attacked by that one asshole down the street that everyone knows is a total jerk.

Anonymous and does the frequency really matter?
    They are threats made anonymously by one or a few people in a small audience over some bullshit like the coverage of a local car show or some thing.

I think the frequency does matter, yes. Is that a real question?

Well since we're keeping score for some reason, I think I received 2.
    I have no idea how many my editor buddy receives, but they come in the form of email and "actual fucking letters".
    is that enough?

Enough for what. I think the frequency matters in how it will affect someone psychologically. One is too much, but there is going to be a difference between intermittent threats and several, daily.

And the specificity. Some of those contain personal address details, names of family, schools etc.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

yes thank god let's do this

crowd pleasing topic

lol look at the tooter

*frrrt*

hahaha

this thread is now a Terrance and Phillip studio

grab your clothespins everyone it's about to get stinky

terrance_and_phillip_ani_gif_by_fartoons-d4980v6.gif

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    *explodes*

actually

an actor called it gamergate

so really this is all adam baldwins fault

*strokes chin*

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    when I take a screenshot by pressing prt sc it is just black when I try to paste it in paint what gives

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

Well it's pretty hard to track down the 32 year old sysadmin who used a proxy to anonymously threaten death on someone who probably lives in another part of the world

bordering on impossible actually

bomb threats and terrorist threats are easier to investigate because those are known groups and require proximity

like "there is a bomb in your school" you can evacuate the school to be sure

"I am going to kill you at some point", do you put the person in witness protection?

It's unfortunately up to the internet to police itself in this regard

override367 on
  • Options
    cptrugged wrote: »
    This is what happens when you build a [chat] on the many legged, scuttling horrors of our world.

The ground is sour!

I tried to provide a refreshing ground of adorable and great.

Then someone brought the whatnot in.

• Options
    hakkes you are the minotaur barbarian rounding out my party

what gaem is this

am i this one

jq37ela7xp5zqyspreux.jpg

(contractually obligated by @BEAST! to support the seahawks)

legend of glamcock 2

um

you are not that one per se

that is more like a lady, you are more like a cow person

how dare you

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Hakks is a cow lady

• Options

Well it's pretty hard to track down the 32 year old sysadmin who used a proxy to anonymously threaten death on someone who probably lives in another part of the world

bomb threats and terrorist threats are easier to investigate because those are known groups and require proximity
    Threats against game developers and journalists: they are hard lol

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    i don't know how you could say gamers or gaming culture doesn't tend towards sexism if you've actually you know, been involved in a gaming community (esp. on the internet)

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Guys, why are we even talking about this gamergate shit?

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Fuck Adam Baldwin.
    When Chuck just started and was fun in a goofy way the thread became aware of his awfulness and it was sad.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    after the nanosecond where i was like, dinosaurs are real i accept and immediately renounce god in my heart, i thought it was shopped

then i realized i was looking at assholes

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Hakks is a cow lady

I have a gag order in place how could this leak

god dammit someone is getting sued

• Options
    TehSloth wrote: »
    It has pervaded even mainstream media at this point.

• Options
    the party found some torn breeches and unanimously voted to give them to desc to cover his unsightly nethers

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    *explodes*

actually

an actor called it gamergate

so really this is all adam baldwins fault

*strokes chin*

Adam Baldwin

Where the leylines of power converge.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

Threats against game developers and journalists: they are hard lol

Well how would you suggest law enforcement go about it, what should be their response to an anonymous internet death threat of unknown origin

override367 on
  • Options
    TehSloth wrote: »

Because Vanguard

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    when I take a screenshot by pressing prt sc it is just black when I try to paste it in paint what gives

probably caused by how what you are trying to print sc is rendered -- this is pretty common with video

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Hakks is a cow lady

I have a gag order in place how could this milk leak

god dammit someone is getting mooed

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    after the nanosecond where i was like, dinosaurs are real i accept and immediately renounce god in my heart, i thought it was shopped

then i realized i was looking at assholes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sen8Tn8CBA4

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
This discussion has been closed.