Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

A [DOODLE] Thread for the Ages. [NSFW]

1303132333436»

• acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    edited August 20
    @Sublimus yo these character designs are pretty cool and pretty CLEAN. I'd love to see one colored.

@Surfpossum playing some No Man's Sky, I assume?

My roommate left this note, then signed it with a penis. I added another penis, finished it off by making those penises part of a screaming face, and then I added the running drawings for funsies. I'm oddly proud of the entire composition, tbh
    spoiler:dicks:
    86dyhj0iz5eu.jpg

acadia on
    DoodmannIruka
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Sublimus wrote: »
    Another character.

PAF_Fighter2.png

I really dig all the little details in these. Is it me or does he look a little pigeon toed?

• SublimusSublimus Registered User regular
    @Doodmann (it's because I can't draw feet in perspective.)

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I dunno what this is exactly, but it seems like something.

73cdnw8pm4kx.jpeg

icon.png facebookIcon.png tumblrIcon.png
    is this how nations are born
    ProspicienceacadiaAtomika
    edited August 24
    @Surfpossum That's some deep-sea cavern with glow worms and fireflies or somesuch floating above an eldritch nightmare. That's what it is.
    @Sublimus for the record, your feet are getting better

Drew this one during a round of Telestrations. So, like 2 minutes, no underdrawing, no nothin:
    9tgebrxzzd6f.jpg

The rest of these I did standing or sitting at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History (and Art):
    cbh0gxft0l9y.jpg
    bps0cgvpq4hj.jpg

These ones were all on the same wall, and I only got through about half of them before I felt like I was in the way blocking people who wanted to see the exhibit (I wasn't). I'll be going back probably next weekend to get the rest of em. A bunch of small mammals.
    jb96a5f35dt4.jpg

acadia on
    AumnibombardierJolli
    @acadia That's good to hear! I'm continuing to work on it haha.

Big surprise I drew an orc

doodle_032.png

bowenbombardier
    Another one. I don't like this one as much, and I think I'll do one more to make it a set of 3.
    doodle_033.png

bowenbombardier
    I like the torso of that one a bit better, the directional strokes defining the form, and the lighting kind of putting it all together looks nice.

@acadia Thanks!!

Ok last one of these, and a lineup.

doodle_034.png

Orcheads.png

bowenbombardier
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    @Sublimus I might have mentioned this at some point to you before, (or maybe it was someone else? I can't remember), so forgive me if this seems familiar.

I've noticed you've got a tendency to render with a pretty soft look, spending a lot of time making sure you've got these smooth forms down- and that's no bad thing, in and of itself. However, when you apply that same softness to things that would logically be sharp (ie: sharp plane changes, cast shadows), the object tends to lose a sense of solidity- it may end up feeling like an unbaked clay model, rather than being made of skin and muscle and bone.

What I might suggest as an exercise is to punch in some hard, cast shadows onto these guys (in my example I just made a Multiply layer, lasso tool'd some areas and filled them with a flat gray). Initially, this may just look like some weird cel-shading, but if you then take those hard shadows, and give just a tiny little bit of softening on the form turns, it can really help start to sell the subject as being a believable object lit by real light. It's not a matter of hard or soft across the board, it's having a logical variety of hard and soft edges that makes it feel real.
    2ylluc82rum9.gif

bowenAumniacadiaEvil MultifariousDoodmannRed Raevyntemperature!
    @Angel_of_Bacon Thank you!! I'm a total wimp when it comes to edges and values. I should do some studies where I concentrate on those things!

I think I do tend to enjoy the soft value range as an aesthetic choice, but it is also borne out of a hesitancy too.

Thanks for the paint over!

Foreshortened hands are bullshit

PAF_SpellCaster2.png

acadiaAsh of YewSeveredHeadDoodmannbombardierJolli
    @Sublimus I dig that boot knife. The little details you give your characters are great.

@acadia Thanks!! Trying to find that right level of detail for sure. That knife isn't in the sketch, but I felt it needed something more. Hopefully it doesn't feel too tacked on haha.

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    A wild Maybelline appears.

ajg7d0rwka2f.jpeg

Snooze is boosted by the weather!

icon.png facebookIcon.png tumblrIcon.png
    is this how nations are born
    acadiaSublimusIrukaDoodmannbowen
    That could easily be a tshirt.

Cuuuuuuuuute!

pqjnyjcuf5sa.jpg

I think I've peaked, creatively speaking.

SeveredHeadbowenProspicienceNightDragonJolli
  • SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    edited September 14
    can you tell i hate to do studies, the face is stupid who needs it
    RWX6UD7.jpg

@Sublimus yah that is pretty neat

SeveredHead on
    acadia
    edited September 20
    You've kind of lost the gesture a bit, and stood him up a little straighter. The curve on the left side of his torso (and really the whole lean to the right he has in the ref) isn't as prominent. I dig the style of rendering though, with a dark base, painting light on top of it to get large blocks of color rather than starting light and going darker. I also like the DnD-type paintings you've been posting lately, so you know, keep doing that. Do that more.

More doodles of my own. I love that my friends like playing telestrations. The challenge of getting an idea down in within 2 minutes really clears the brain.
    Prompt: "Why is it that some shapes go this way, and others go that way?"
    pf3w33amc25g.png

Prompt: "Bees making pasta instead of honey"
    2ok8o9p2kn2o.png

acadia on
    Fairly quick photo study... Trying to learn color.
    Study_001.png

acadiabowenbombardier
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    it's been so long since I did art I almost forgot there is a place I can post art??
    my sister commissioned this piece for her fiancé. And now apparently he's gonna get a tattoo of it? which is a little intimidating tbh.

xagpzkazfdsr.jpeg

IrukaSublimusWassermeloneProspicienceacadiabowentapeslingerAngel_of_Baconbombardier
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    I haven't visited PA forums for ages and I'm soooo happy AC is still here and this doodle thread is still a place where people can share and learn stuff!

Yaaaay

bombardieracadiaProspicienceDoodmann
  • JolliJolli Registered User regular
    Started getting into Spider-Man again, after playing the PS4 game. So did a little doodle of my favorite villain; Green Goblin.
    505wtuqi8p2c.png

We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.
    bowenacadia
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited October 10
    I haven't visited PA forums for ages and I'm soooo happy AC is still here and this doodle thread is still a place where people can share and learn stuff!

Yaaaay

It's on life support but we're not dead yet!

Also hello you wonderful person.

bombardier on
    ?username=bombardactyl&theme=dark
    Jolli
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited October 18
    Yeah holy heck I haven't been here in a bajillion years either. Hello. Hope everyone's doing great!

tumblr_pgopm1FqmG1s37o1ho1_540.jpg

m3nace on
    acadiaEvil MultifariousIrukaNipsDoodmannSublimus
    The LEGS on that robo

m3nace
    He goes for a lot of bike rides.

A thing from over the weekend.

doodle_044.png

acadiaAngel_of_BaconbowenSeveredHead
  • Kim kongKim kong Registered User regular
    Doodles from work... Or me fighting boredombq8p76jwoag9.jpg
    4xw53kuq80rb.jpg
    vkpxulbpp401.jpg
    a21mnvkakz32.jpg
    fn80wa9lev18.jpg
    zcpgbn3ab4xg.jpg

IrukaDoodmannacadiaRed Raevyn
    edited October 29
    The seasons change.
    sbtied6a0pio.png

m3nace on
    Angel_of_BaconacadiaKim kongSublimusRed RaevynEsiotrot
    You should do a robo that's just a robo head with other robo heads for all the body parts.

m3nace
    acadia wrote: »
    You should do a robo that's just a robo head with other robo heads for all the body parts.

That's a heckuva good idea.

found a weekly figure drawing session that's right near my work and costs $10 for three hours. Which is just crazy? but pretty awesome.

h86klw5m83z9.jpg
    wvwq76fcjfoo.jpg

DoodmannEsiotrotProspicience
    Is that in chronological order? Because the lines get more and more confident

SeveredHead
    Do they? that's interesting because I didn't really notice as I was drawing, but you're probably right. It's been a while since I did any live model drawing, and I think it did take me a bit to get comfortable.

• Kim kongKim kong Registered User regular
    edited November 20
    After more then 15 years since I dropped out , I thought to myself... let’s animate a seasons greeting card. It’s like riding a bicycle... if it’s on fire and over a cliff
    2kwzjx9mrjr0.gif

Edited it for a looping one.

Kim kong on
    Esiotrot
  • EsiotrotEsiotrot Registered User regular
    edited December 9
    6syomlhmho82.jpg
    i60to3wd0o22.jpg

Red or Blue?

Esiotrot on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Why not both?

I personally enjoy the contrast of warm and cool in the blue one. but I could easily see them both printed and facing each other.

Prospicience
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, with Iruka on that. I'm partial to the blue, but the red is also quite pleasing to the eye - just in a different way.