As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sunset Overdrive] Free on GWG starting April 15! Mohawks for everyone!

Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
edited March 2016 in Games and Technology
258785j.jpg
Sunset Overdrive is an open world, third-person shooter video game developed by Insomniac Games and published by Microsoft Studios exclusively for the Xbox One. Set in the fictional open world metropolis Sunset City in 2027, players control a fully customizable FizzCo employee who fights the OD'd, humans transformed into monsters after consuming an energy drink. Players wall-run and use zip-lines and grind rails to swiftly navigate Sunset City, and have a large weapon arsenal to use in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmRR6MnS6dc&sns=sms
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A41RTsBwOfQ&sns=sms
Gamertag form is here!
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/18rsqBhuFO4wxzxCQN7WRMqzKjwfGk0r-ziU_uM-2uS0/

Local H Jay on

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    I really want to get this and I really want this to be good.

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the game and look forward to playing a bit of Chaos Squad with you folks.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    Another review
    http://youtu.be/xvA638FSlaU
    Really excited for the movement/combo system.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Wooo a 9 from ign, an 8 from gamespot, a 5 stars from joystiq and a 9 from polygon

Awesome

The devs mentioned they'll be looking to introduce open world coop eventually, I really hope they do

• Options
    Yeah I was a little sad when I heard there was no story/free roam co-op but if they're adding it in later that is great news.

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Waiting to see more of the game (Giant Bomb should have a Quick Look soonish) but I hope it's good. The art style alone is almost enough, but my games budget is really tight right now and there's a lot of potentially good games hitting in the next couple weeks.

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    So excited for this tomorrow! I think it's this plus dat "Im getting a new console" euphoria, but the game looks so sweet too!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I already preordered it. I'm a sucker for anything that's brightly colored and has a Jet Set Radio vibe too it.

Also, character customization yay.

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    I was going to pass on it. Spent 10 days living in a hotel room for work and I watched a lot of the streams for it. So I pre-ordered it using some Best Buy credit I had. Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    I was waiting on reviews for this one. Looking good, so I think I'll pick it up tomorrow! Woo!

• Options
    Yeah the overwhelming reaction seems to be the game is just pure fun. The story and humor seemed to rub some people the wrong way, but gameplay and aesthetically everyone seems to love it.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    My only regret will probably be that it won't have a soundtrack anywhere near as glorious as Jet Set Radio Future's. Or heck...even Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    My only regret will probably be that it won't have a soundtrack anywhere near as glorious as Jet Set Radio Future's. Or heck...even Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2.

Is it bad I have playlists for each THPS, Crazy Taxi, and JSR ready on my phone for just this occasion?
    Also I forsee myself saying "can you do a grindy thingy on that rail?" a lot.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6NaZrPQGfY

Only thing missing from your list. :P

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Is it just me or was hype for this game kinda muted? I mean, I know Microsoft has been talking it up, but it's very weird the game is just now getting a thread.

Glad to see it's getting good reviews and isn't Fuse part 2. Let's hope it sells well...

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Is it just me or was hype for this game kinda muted? I mean, I know Microsoft has been talking it up, but it's very weird the game is just now getting a thread.

Glad to see it's getting good reviews and isn't Fuse part 2. Let's hope it sells well...

It's an exclusive for the less popular of the two next gen consoles, compounded by the fact that Destiny and a barrage of other games have or will come out this season.

People were casually discussing it for a while in the Xbox Live thread.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

It's an exclusive for the less popular of the two next gen consoles, compounded by the fact that Destiny and a barrage of other games have or will come out this season.

People were casually discussing it for a while in the Xbox Live thread.

Yeah. Most people are playing Destiny right now, or at least that would be the ones to post this thread...

One game that I'd love to see a giant artbook for.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I hope this does well, for Insomniac's sake more than anyone else. R&C dropped off hard in sales in the later entries, same with Resistance, Fuse was garbage and sold accordingly...hopefully the One holiday price drop will help boost this game's sales a bit.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I think Sunset's got two main problems: It's exclusive to the less popular console, and the open world market is pretty much bloated with games right now (most of them very good). Especially with GTA5 Remaster popping up in about three weeks and Shadow of Mordor just releasing to glowing praise. I'll pick it up eventually, but this fall is positively game laden...especially the 18th of November (which sees the release of the aforementioned GTA5 remaster and Dragon Age: Inquisition).

Plus, I have to send my One in for service...so that puts a bit of a damper on playing One exclusive games for a few weeks.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GTAV Remaster
    Shadow of Mordor
    Assassin's Creed Unity
    Assassin's Creed Rogue
    Far Cry 4
    Sunset Overdrive

All open-world games with likely an insane amount of content to each

• Options
    Hype depends on where you're pointing your attention toward. Plus, it's kind of hard to broadband hype a game with bright colors and what not (which usually attract kids) and the kind of content that's in Sunset Overdrive. It would actually work against them in a way.

That said, is there much of an overlap between the people who'd play say Shadow of Mordor and Sunset Overdrive? It seems like you're comparing Phallic Shotguns to Sword Magics there.

• Options
    That said, is there much of an overlap between the people who'd play say Shadow of Mordor and Sunset Overdrive?

*raises hand*

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Open world game fans tend to care less about theme, and more about mechanics and style, so yes, I think the overlap is broad.

And I completely forgot about Far Cry 4 and AS:U.

The open world genre is bloated as fuck right now, and I feel like Sunset is going to get shuffled because of it. I hope I'm wrong and it sells like hot cakes...but I'm not holding my breath when you have heavy hitters like GTA5, Far Cry and AssCreed in the same space.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Hmmm...

As far as "open world" goes I think its a lot like "RPG" these days in that its more of a seasoning than a genre onto itself(except in the most pure cases).

So, as long as they're unique enough I feel like a lot of open world games can offer a very different experience.

Like Shadow of Mordor is different from Sunset Overdrive which is different than Dragon Age Inquisition.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Ah. Well, I guess if we want to spend the entire first page of this thread doom and glooming the game before it's even been released, we can do that. Cheers. <3

edit: in response to your post below, Dragkonias, I'm not talking about your post. :P

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    I'm not dooming and glooming that said...

This game has an aesthetic(the 90s punk rock vibe) that while I personally love it, I know its a unique taste.

So, I don't think the game is going to set the world on fire but I honestly hope it does well enough to inspire more. I think we need games is more varied styles than we've been getting lately.

• Options
    I am interested in pretty much all the games listed above, but again we are game enthusiasts on a gaming forum for a gaming webcomic. I played the crap out of Shadows of Ordor because I enjoyed the Assassin's Creed and Batman games. I will play the crap outta this because I enjoy the Jet Set Radio and Crackdown games. Tastes vary but it's definitely a game all my core group of friends is getting for co-op fun times.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Looks like there's going to be a $349 bundle with this game included.

I'm on the fence based on some of the videos I've seen. I'm a huge fan of open world games for sure, but I'm not sold on what I've read about setting/humor. The colorful aesthetic looks great however, so I'll probably end up giving in...

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I'm pondering renting this or outright buying it tomorrow.

The whole Tank Girl art aesthetic plus the glowing reviews have definitely got my interest.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    I am interested in pretty much all the games listed above, but again we are game enthusiasts on a gaming forum for a gaming webcomic. I played the crap out of Shadows of Ordor because I enjoyed the Assassin's Creed and Batman games. I will play the crap outta this because I enjoy the Jet Set Radio and Crackdown games. Tastes vary but it's definitely a game all my core group of friends is getting for co-op fun times.

Yeah, I should have added the word "exclusively" to that post. As in, is there much overlap between the people who'd exclusively play SoM and SO?

• Options
    Ah. Well, I guess if we want to spend the entire first page of this thread doom and glooming the game before it's even been released, we can do that. Cheers. <3

edit: in response to your post below, Dragkonias, I'm not talking about your post. :P

It's not exactly doom and gloom, I hope it does well, but with most games it's pretty easy to get a good read on "how well will this succeed?" and "how hard will this fail?"

Bayonetta 2, for example, it's an awesome game, but anyone thinking that it's going to get some high sales is kidding themselves. It's a niche game on the most niche system at the moment. There's nothing wrong with talking about its sales or preparing yourself for the fact that such a great game might not do well commercially - it is just as valid a conversation point as anything about the game itself.

Sunset Overdrive is a hard one to judge, because while the Xbox One is only doing poorly in comparison to PS4, it's still doing pretty well in comparison to the Xbox 360 at this point in time, and a year in, they were having pretty good success with Dead Rising and Gears of War.

• Options

Oh I'm sorry, I guess pointing out that I think a game is releasing in to a saturated market is doom and glooming?

Sorry, I forgot that the standard PA pre-release "Hype only, opinions of reality not allowed here" disclaimer is in effect.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Have to wait for Amazon to ship it. I may need to go through another seller. They are being sluggish.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Really, though I wouldn't say the market is saturated because honestly...if we've just looking at the PS4/X1 alone so far their pickings have been slim. Like I'd say so far I've only bought like 3 full-priced games.

It just that the fall/winter season is honestly crowded.

You got your main stays like Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed.

You got your highly anticipated titles like Dragon Age and Farcry.

And then you also got new stuff like SoM, Aliens, Evil Within.

Along with a bunch of other titles.

Like there are so many games coming out in what amounts to a 2 month period that the competition is gonna be real.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Though on a more positive note.

Sunset Overdrive does have that year 1 console cycle deal going for it. So hopefully that works in its favor.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I'm psyched for this!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    So yeah, I managed to find an early livestream being done by a person who at least seems familiar games like these and yeah, my hype just went up.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Oh I'm sorry, I guess pointing out that I think a game is releasing in to a saturated market is doom and glooming?

Sorry, I forgot that the standard PA pre-release "Hype only, opinions of reality not allowed here" disclaimer is in effect.

Did you mean to include two non apologies in this post? Just seems off. You could have maybe combined those ideas or simply got rid of one of those lines? IDK.

Anyway, unless your definition of "doom and gloom" is different from mine, your first post states the game has a bunch of things working against it. Your second post has you "hoping you're wrong" about the game not doing well. The entirety of your "opinions of reality" put the game's future in a negative light before it's even been released; a duck is a duck.

That said, I never said you couldn't say what you (edit: or anyone else, this post is addressed to you in particular though) wanted. In fact, what I'm actually saying in my post is that if we're going to spend the first page doing this, then I'm just going to excuse myself from the conversation. It's not as though I need/want to be a part of that conversation, nor I am needed/wanted to be a part of that conversation, and seeding or attempting to redirect these conversations is a massive waste of time vs simply lurking until the conversation becomes meaningful to me, ergo

Cheers. <3

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Honestly after kind of being let down by Evil Within and playing too much destiny to play shadows of mordor a lot, this game is hitting the sweet spot of being used up on destiny, but still wanting to play a game.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Honestly after kind of being let down by Evil Within and playing too much destiny to play shadows of mordor a lot, this game is hitting the sweet spot of being used up on destiny, but still wanting to play a game.

Of course, you'll get all the raid loot now that Destiny knows your heart wants to be somewhere else. :P