As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Reveal Knob's embarrassing repressed fetishes in the [Indie Games] thread

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I am extremely thankful to this forum for giving me enough information to know I could skip Watch Dogs

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I'll probably end up playing almost any open world game.

So yeah, Watch Dogs and AC Unity are somewhere on my list.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    As soon as you know what you're in for, both Watch_Dogs and AC:Unity become perfectly acceptable game experiences. Not good, necessarily (I probably like Unity more than most people), but acceptable.

It's just that neither of them in any way lived up to the hype around them, Watch_Dogs more than Unity because, well, people were starting to catch on to Ubisoft after (and because of) Watch_Dogs.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    As soon as you know what you're in for, both Watch_Dogs and AC:Unity become perfectly acceptable game experiences. Not good, necessarily (I probably like Unity more than most people), but acceptable.

It's just that neither of them in any way lived up to the hype around them, Watch_Dogs more than Unity because, well, people were starting to catch on to Ubisoft after (and because of) Watch_Dogs.

yeah, but what I'm in for with Watch_Dogs is another bloated Ubisoft minimap scavenger hunt with mediocre driving controls, a "hacking" system that is little more than press X to quicktime, and most disappointing, a truly unpleasant generic angry white vengeanceman "protagonist".

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    my most disappointing game of 2014 is castlevania lords of shadow 2 and if you like it you are wrong and I look down on you

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I thought everybody was disappointed with Destiny?

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I thought everybody was disappointed with Destiny?

The thread here and in G&T are still active so people are still enjoying it. I enjoyed i before it became a total grind but hey that was still like 30 sometjing hours of entertainment.

My personal biggest disappointment of 2014 was Valiant Hearts, purely a reach exceeding its grasp thing.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Destiny is incredibly fun to play

But I wish it was better

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Destiny is fun to play, but I found the amount of content disappointing, and any time I start getting flashbacks to the sort of grinding that burned me out on MMOs within a two weeks of starting to play, it's a good sign that it is not the game for me.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Yeah destiny kind of broke me. It was supposed to be so good. And then it was...that. the mechanics are solid but that's about it. I wish it had a story, and really don't want to grind content

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    It's definitely a bit telling that I threw in the towel on Destiny for it being too much of a grind and now I am playing monster hunting style games and world of warcraft.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I hit the level cap in Destiny and looked within myself and found that I did not want to play one of the four strikes ever again for any reason, ever, didn't even want to think about the possibility of it happening

Hobnail on
  • Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    It's definitely a bit telling that I threw in the towel on Destiny for it being too much of a grind and now I am playing monster hunting style games and world of warcraft.
    At least you get to fight new things in monster hunter

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular

Didn't you tell me the other day that they expand Monster Hunter like Pokemon? Like, all the old monsters are the basis of the game and then they add some new ones?

signature.png

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    JohnHam wrote: »

Didn't you tell me the other day that they expand Monster Hunter like Pokemon? Like, all the old monsters are the basis of the game and then they add some new ones?

Sometimes, MH tends to follow the typical capcom/street fighter style of releases where they'll throw out an 'expanded' edition in between new numbers in the franchise; so some games will feature a tonne of older monsters plus new ones, some more new ones than old ones, and others will feature old monsters but revamped to fit a new game engine (such that they may as well be different monsters).

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Basically yeah

They usually add a bunch of new monster for the "story" section with some classics sprinkled in, and then post game you usually fight all the big guys from the previous games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYCXnCm_TG8

There are lot of dudes

Edit: That works better

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Destiny is a fantastic shooter with the shell of a mediocre to bad mmorpg surrounding it

The grinding is purely mmo-like, and not necessarily bad fundamentally, but just might not be your thing. It, however, isn't tuned very well, so it is more a grind than it should be. They're talking a little bit about ways of getting better, I don't know if it is talking enough.

Also the raids, easily the best non-gun content of the game, are super buggy. Not innately a problem, especially given how no one (that I'm aware of) has tried to do encounter design like this for a FPS before, but the bugs don't get fixed. The original raid still has major encounter bugs and at this point it just looks like that is the defacto state of it forever.

I think the gunplay is really super fantastic though. Even with guns that aren't as dynamically different as Borderlands guns, I get so much more excited to get a new gun than one in BL, because they feel better and actively change the way I fight and encounter enemies much more than BL. The differences in Borderland's guns feel hollow after this because they aren't as well balanced to the gameplay itself.

The story is terrible and I guess the missions are bad too but they just felt like FPS missions to me. Go places, shoot dudes. I can't really tell the difference between Destiny levels and Wolfenstein levels except that Wolfenstein's have a much better story and characterization. (also, wolfenstein has characterization)

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    The thing that gets me about Destiny is that when there's a grind in an MMO its usually there for some sort of monetization purpose. Whether it be to keep people on the subscription as long as possible, or encourage cash-shop purchases or what have you. But there's none of that other than the initial buy-in and the DLCs.

Its like its there just because.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options

Yeah, I mean basically what my gameplay habits tell me is that I don't mind a grind, but rather that the grind in Destiny is really poorly implemented.

Which is a bummer as the general gameplay in Destiny is solid.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Destiny is a perfect game to play once or twice a week for a few hours at a time

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Grinds are never in most MMOs for monetization

It's just the way progression in those games work

The subscription model certainly benefits from the time it takes to go places, but games like WoW would not have iterated and streamlined the gearing process as they have if they only wanted to keep people paying

It isn't even a sound business decision to do this, because only like 3 mmos even get away with a subscription model anymore. Everyone else has had to go to microtransactions.

That's just one of the tinfoil-on-head narratives about mmos that has gone on since their inception, and isn't any more true now than ever.

The grind exists in Destiny because taking real amounts of time and even RNG to get what you want directly effects that satisfaction you get when you receive that item. It's just the central foundation for how progression works in games like that, and always has been. In Destiny's case, it just isn't tuned very well because I dunno, Bungie refuses to acknowledge they system is mmo-like fundamentally, and won't take up the improvements those genre has made.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    Basically yeah

They usually add a bunch of new monster for the "story" section with some classics sprinkled in, and then post game you usually fight all the big guys from the previous games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYCXnCm_TG8

There are lot of dudes

Edit: That works better

You jerk, now waiting for mh4u is going to be that much harder!

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I should note that the video is missing a shit ton of monsters @JohnHam‌

I didnt see the new Spider, Snake, or Frog in there

Edit: God we need a monster hunter thread

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    We have one, I think, it just fell way off the front page. Metalbourne made it I think. We could necro it.

• Options
    The thing that gets me about Destiny is that when there's a grind in an MMO its usually there for some sort of monetization purpose. Whether it be to keep people on the subscription as long as possible, or encourage cash-shop purchases or what have you. But there's none of that other than the initial buy-in and the DLCs.

Its like its there just because.

The distinction between a formalized subscription and DLC releases is really technical.

The ultimate goal is to maintain interest, in order to A. keep you subscribing, or B. get you to buy the next DLC.

Whichever model you choose is really only relevant from a business / consumer-relations point of view; I would argue that Destiny's DLC model is friendlier than a subscription fee just because it's a-la-carte and if the DLC looks terrible to you you're not out anything.

signature.png

• Options
    edited January 2015
    God bless us all.

yrfv3ekkmjq7.png

JohnHam on
    ppt2.png 604.2K
    signature.png

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    In actual Indie Game News, the Nuclear Throne patch is rad

New guns, good tweaks to some abilities (strong spirit is way better and hammerhead doesn't accidentally screw you now), more music and redone gun sound effects

I'm usually down on early access but Vlambeer is really killing it with this game

What did they do to Hammerhead? I only tried it a few times but it felt WAY too easy to brush up against walls and "waste" it since you only had a certain number of blocks you could break per map.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

New guns, good tweaks to some abilities (strong spirit is way better and hammerhead doesn't accidentally screw you now), more music and redone gun sound effects

I'm usually down on early access but Vlambeer is really killing it with this game

What did they do to Hammerhead? I only tried it a few times but it felt WAY too easy to brush up against walls and "waste" it since you only had a certain number of blocks you could break per map.

that is specifically what they addressed

you have to make contact and continue to push against the wall

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular

it's been you could only break 12 walls or something per level for awhile, even before this latest patch

• Options
    I think his problem is how easy it was to waste your wall breaks, which is what they fixed

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, that is a rad change I can get behind, I may start picking it up again on certain characters.

Behind able to dig into a wall and bunker in behind a wall of clones as Rebel is super useful sometimes.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Yeah, that is a rad change I can get behind, I may start picking it up again on certain characters.

Behind able to dig into a wall and bunker in behind a wall of clones as Rebel is super useful sometimes.

I've been taking it + throne butt on crystal

you can get out of pretty much any situation that way as long as you see it coming

Burrow into wall, teleport out if you get trapped

• Options
    Has anyone here gotten past 5_3

its a total brick wall for me right now

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

what's killing you

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I really want to get Puyo Puyo Tetris

But I'm gonna wait for a price drop because there's no way in hell I'm paying over $50 for a puzzle game, even if it is imported

• Options
    Dubh wrote: »

what's killing you

the dude who warps in on top of you

even when I manage to kill him the explosion is HUGE

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »

what's killing you

the dude who warps in on top of you

even when I manage to kill him the explosion is HUGE

kill him from a distance

and hide behind something

I realize this is not always easy in the heat of the moment

also, Boiling Veins is a fantastic mutation

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Strong Spirit is also real good

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    I saw one of Eye's ultra mutations on a stream last night and now I'm gonna dedicate myself to playing eyes for awhile instead of crystal

I want that ultra mutation so bad, I almost got it just now too, got to 7-2 and was deep into level 8

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I really want to get Puyo Puyo Tetris

But I'm gonna wait for a price drop because there's no way in hell I'm paying over $50 for a puzzle game, even if it is imported

Play-Asia has it for 47 bucks right now and I paid something like 13 bucks shipping via FedEx. It took them about a week to process the order but shipping was like 2 days.

This discussion has been closed.