As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Brothers!

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Oh ok I thought the goal was just "play smash with a GameCube pad without buying the adapter"

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    nah, now it's gamecube controller wirelessly on wiiu.

Which, isn't actually that good of an idea the more i think about it.

there's a reason why i don't like the gamecube controller too much outside of nintendo games.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    So, finally played online on the Wii U.

...I lost nine matches in a row. But I'm improving, I think. Managed three wins before the end of the night, at least.

Also did some Amiibo training. Things Samus has learned:

The Sandbag is the enemy. DESTROY IT AT ANY COST.
    If your teammate is under the spotlight in the boxing arena, drop that sucker.

They grow up so fast.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    you know you guys can get a gc controller adapter that plugs into a wiimote right

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    you know you guys can get a gc controller adapter that plugs into a wiimote right

No I did not

Where

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    oh

One port

No I'm good I'll wait till the official ones are available

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    They're called Wavebirds

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Man that is 3 times now I beat a bowser who did not realize bowsercide kills him first now.

Like all of them immediately started spamming the throw once I was down 1 life. I literally sat at the edge at 0% and moved us OUT to die.

Its generally pretty satisfying though because they are obviously going for the super cheap, no talent win.

Of course then the next person I get is possibly the worst case of roll spamming imaginable. I beat them somehow with most chars, but when I got annoyed and picked Lucario because if you wanna rollspam and spam projectiles get me to 100% and you will never land another projectile. But he even somehow drug that out to 5 seconds left as Pikachu spamming his bolts (which I decided to literally eat them till like 50% so my ball went through them all)

justforglorythings

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    the pro controller is pretty good just get that

the wii u's syncing/pairing system is kinda weird though, like it doesn't want to let me sync the pro controller with the wii u without pairing it with the wii u pad and then it wants that pro controller to be player 1 at the same time as the wii u pad

the easiest solution was to pair the pad with a wiimote so the pro controller could be player 2 and then just set the wiimote aside and use the pad

really I just need 4 pro controllers

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I'm personally a pretty big fan of the classic controller

I still prefer the GameCube but the cc is a completely acceptable substitute imo

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Man there's a gamecube controller adapter at a gamestop in the city according to their website

but it's 25 miles away.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Radius wrote: »
    They're called Wavebirds

Guess how much those are going for on Amazon right now

edit: Also speed, man, that left stick just seems so bad for smash to me. I just can't control direction as well with it. Feels too.. tall?

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Artreus wrote: »
    They're called Wavebirds

edit: Also speed, man, that left stick just seems so bad for smash to me. I just can't control direction as well with it. Feels too.. tall?

I was having issues with the CCpro's stick as well. Specifically, accidentally pivoting when trying to do down tilts and smashes.

Also not trying to throw shade Artreus, but I always get a bit of a giggle when people think stuff that is 20-30 miles away is a long trip.

25 miles is like, 5 farther than the closest town for me.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I live 20 miles from pittsburgh and its like a 15 minute drive. Ive never considered that a big distance

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    25 miles in awful city traffic is a lot when I'm feeling reaaaall lazy

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Good god the classic controller pro is fucking atrocious for this game. I think I would actually rather use a 3DS.

But gamepad isn't very good either, but not quite as actively harmful. Gonna see if I can find a gamecube adapter in stock somewhere.

I have some controllers lying around. Only issue might be that the tv is far away from bed. If only wavebirds were not $200 on amazon right now

What's wrong with the pro controller? I have 0 problem with it

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Oh I didn't see there was another page

Yeah I think the pro controller is great

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Good god the classic controller pro is fucking atrocious for this game. I think I would actually rather use a 3DS.

But gamepad isn't very good either, but not quite as actively harmful. Gonna see if I can find a gamecube adapter in stock somewhere.

I have some controllers lying around. Only issue might be that the tv is far away from bed. If only wavebirds were not $200 on amazon right now

What's wrong with the pro controller? I have 0 problem with it

The Classic controller pro that plugs into the wiimote?

The sticks are awful for smash

• Options
    9yy7-800.jpg

That

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I was not talking about that. I haven't really used one yet. Might pick it up at some point

edit: also yeah, I guess I misunderstood your point. I'd prefer a gamecube adapter since it's only like $20 and I have a bunch of gamecube controllers lying around. Need to try out the regular wii u pro

Artreus on
  • Options
    It works great imo

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    They're called Wavebirds

Oh no I don't actually I wonder how much jesus christ that is too much for any controller that doesn't come with a self-destruct button underneath a flip up plastic lid.

• Options
    KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    i have a wavebird. they lag a little.

groaning, but I think I'm going to have to buy a WiiU just for this game.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    HUFF

PUFF

WHO SAID STEEL BATTALION

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    No one did, but I heavily implied it.

Wyborn let's do a Let's Play of Steel Batallion

• Options
    9yy7-800.jpg

That

artreus means

B0037US4IA.01.lg.jpg

i've only ever used the original CC, i never managed to find a pro

but it just looks to me like a CC with the awkward Z buttons fixed and better grips so i have to think i'd love it

• Options
    They're called Wavebirds

Oh no I don't actually I wonder how much jesus christ that is too much for any controller that doesn't come with a self-destruct button underneath a flip up plastic lid.

They're at non-ridiculous prices on eBay tho

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    9yy7-800.jpg

That

artreus means

B0037US4IA.01.lg.jpg

i've only ever used the original CC, i never managed to find a pro

but it just looks to me like a CC with the awkward Z buttons fixed and better grips so i have to think i'd love it

It's great for most things. But the way I hold play smash, it just actively hurts my thumbs and I feel like I don't have the control with the left stick that I need. I actually just input the wrong moves.

but for like, xenoblade and shit, it's really great

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I lie in bed and play on the wii u tablet like god intended

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The Hori Battle Pad is basically a classic controller but designed as a Gamecube controller. It's like thirty bucks and people are saying it's basically a GCN controller only a bit lighter since it has no rumble.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I can't speak to the quality of their game pads but I've owned two hori fight sticks, one of which is the one I'm currently using and is by far my favorite.

If their pads are of the same caliber I'd cop one

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    I can see wanting to hold out for a regularly priced official gc adapter if you've got the gc controllers already on hand - then it's basically 4 usable controllers for the price of one

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    People on Smashboards are saying it's pretty good. The only downside is that it's wireless in case that bothers you, and it has a turbo function which are typically banned from in-person tournaments.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    XvJfpsz.png
    November 28th @‌ 9pm CET
    Signup

It's Europe's turn! Rules are largely the same, except that Wuhu Island has been removed due to a bug. Note that this tournament is open to everyone, but it takes place around 3pm EST so that probably clashes with a lot of work schedules in North America. But I'm sure a lot of you have Black Friday off anyways, so come on down for some more smashing. I'll also remind our European players to add their NNID to the Friends List so people can friend each other before the tournament starts. Enjoy the new Smash Bros.!

RULES
    • Double Elimination, with regular matches will be best of three 1v1 matches with three stocks at eight minutes per match. Winner, Loser, and Grand Finals will be best of five.
    • The results of Sudden Death are ignored, and the player with the lowest damage percentage when time expires is the winner.
    • Items, Equipment, and Custom Moves are banned.
    • Palutena and Mii Fighters are allowed, but must stick with the same moveset throughout the tournament.
    • You must play with the same character throughout the tournament.
    • The following are starter stages picked at random when playing the first game of a set: Battlefield (1), Final Destination/Sideless Ω Stages (2), Sided Ω Stages (3), Duck Hunt (4), Smashville (5), Town and City (6), Delfino Plaza (7), and Pilotwings (8)
    • After a match, the winner may ban a stage. Then the loser picks the next stage, and which may be any of the starter stages or the following counterpick stages: Castle iege, Kongo Jungle, Pokemon Stadium 2, Orbital Gate Assault, Mario Circuit (Wii U), Windy Hill Zone, Halberd, Lylat Cruise, and Woolly World. The loser may NOT pick a stage they have previously won on in that set.
    • When a set is finished, report results on Challonge. If you wish, you can also report the scores of each match (how many KOs each player got), but this is optional. If a mistake is made, report it to me and it'll be fixed.
    • Sets should take thirty minutes to complete. If after five minutes your opponent has not shown up, please contact me and you will win the set by default.
    • Smasher's Agreement: a player make pick a stage not on this list if both players agree to it.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So I was playing Diddy Kong against my brother

I really really like Diddy Kong

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    When I went to buy Smash, the girl at EB Games suggested I buy two of the Hori GC controllers as opposed to one Wii U Pro controller, because two together cost the same as one pro. I wasn't really interested anyway but I became double uninterested when I remembered that I only have two wii remotes—both required for my original Wii classic controllers. So it'd just be redundant to buy the Hori controllers.

Anyways cool story yup

edit: I agree with Swordfights, though. The Pro controller is fantastic, and I'm actually looking forward to using it for the other games I already own. It feels really good and as I predicted, playing Smash on DS got me used to the button layout for Wii U. I haven't played on a Gamecube controller in years so I don't really miss it.

The classic controllers might be another story though; I remember having a hard time with them on Brawl but that may be because I was still so used to Gamecube.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    was thinking about grabbing one of these
    E1QEEHt.jpg
    is basically a pro classic in a gamecube body, about 25 bucks, good idea or bad?

• Options
    if possible i'd say you should try to test it before you buy to make sure the sticks and buttons feel good but otherwise yeah why not

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Melding wrote: »
    was thinking about grabbing one of these
    E1QEEHt.jpg
    is basically a pro classic in a gamecube body, about 25 bucks, good idea or bad?

These do not feel particularly good in the hand, and the analog stick lacks the circular grip of the GameCube joystick, which is awesome. That is to say, the grip is awesome, and this controller lacks it. It feels more like the CC/CC Pro's joysticks.
    The Hori Battle Pad is basically a classic controller but designed as a Gamecube controller. It's like thirty bucks and people are saying it's basically a GCN controller only a bit lighter since it has no rumble.

My Hori Battle Pad came in today and is much better than that PDP one. It feels like a GameCube controller, straight-up, with the only two differences being that the triggers are flat (in the style of a CC Pro), and that the Home button is where the Start button usually is, so you might instinctively hit the Home button instead

Other than that, feels really great, totally give it my recommendation. And they're only $25 on Amazon, which is about the same price those PDP controllers go for. Sadly they only come in Mario and Luigi colors, no Peach. Apparently Japan gets a Pikachu one?

UnbreakableVow on
This discussion has been closed.