As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age Thread – Too Many Breeches

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Let's use an example. In the Hinterlands farm there's a quest to mark some watchtowers, but before you can complete the quest you need to go back to the war table and send out an operation. When that's completed, there's less bandits in the area and there's watchtowers, which is cool. This helps showcase the dynamic world system, the war table, and it encourages the player to think of the Inquisitor as a leader rather than an adventurer.

However, the farm is near some level 12 rifts and other associated bullshit, so completing the quests in the area can be discouraging and make the player feel like they're doing things wrong because you're not closing that Rift at level 4 when you first hit the Hinterlands.

If they changed the Crossroads quests to encourage back and forth with the War Table (scout the mage and templar camp locations, hunt for warmth and food for the village,) it would help engage players like me, who want to see what sets this game apart from Skyrim, and it wouldn't hurt players who want to explore.

Shitty bear ass content is, at best, something you complete on the way to something interesting. War Table operations that dynamically change the world are something interesting. You can still keep the +explore quests like the Templar Rings, but getting players in the mood to switch back and forth between Haven and Hinterlands will help encourage people to progress the story when they're ready instead of grinding away at a steadily increasing quest log without leaving the area.

Because for fucking real anyone with RPG/Bioware experience will want to complete as many side quests as possible before progressing and that's not how DA:I is built.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Guys, can we talk about how Cassandra is quite possibly the best written character bioware has ever produced?

Cassandra, marry me

• Options
    BassguyBassguy Ghost Ride the Dragon Registered User regular
    I'd also really like to see another developer take on a full-on Dragon Age game — not a flash game or free-to-play thing.

What would a 2D Dragon Age RPG be? LttP with mages and templars? That sounds pretty cool to me.

I was just playing that Obsidian South Park game, and they nailed a lot of things. Maybe that perspective could work on a side game.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Guys, can we talk about how Cassandra is quite possibly the best written character bioware has ever produced?

Cassandra, marry me

Cassandra is awesome. The Elven Warrior I am going to roll next is totally going to throw away his Elven gods for Cassandra.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options

Cassandra, marry me
    I appreciate that she has a lot of depth — not just pure zealotry. I disagree with a lot of her views, but that's totally fine with me. She's a warm-hearted character who sincerely wants to help fix the world, and is willing to question at least some of her preconceived notions.

Clearly, a lot of care went into crafting Cass. A+

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014

Cassandra, marry me

tumblr_inline_nehf54mgBH1qb4j8p.png

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
  • Options
    OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    Cassandra is a really, really great character.

I love the whole idealistic while still pragmatic thing. And I enjoy her insecurities. They make it easier to appreciate someone with will that strong. Cassandra, Varric, and Dorian are my prime rolling crew and I also happen to think they're the most interesting characters. Though, Iron Bull is also up near the top as well.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    The dragon fight really shows how bad the tactical controls are, compared to DA1/2. Its the same fight as the dragon pit in 2, dragon shoots fireballs, attacks tank, adds come, but what was simple to pause micro in DA2 is incredibly tedious in Inquisition.

It doesn't help that followers don't obey hold orders completely and you can't assign hold orders individually.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »
    The dragon fight really shows how bad the tactical controls are, compared to DA1/2. Its the same fight as the dragon pit in 2, dragon shoots fireballs, attacks tank, adds come, but what was simple to pause micro in DA2 is incredibly tedious in Inquisition.

It doesn't help that followers don't obey hold orders completely and you can't assign hold orders individually.

I still can't believe the AI is fully active in tactical cam. So bad.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Cassandra is a really, really great character.

She's basically the Allistair of this game for me, as different as their personalities are. I'm probably never going to romance her, as I never did Allistair, but she'll always be one of my favourite characters.

I still feel a bit guilty about saddling Allistair with Anora. Then again, I suppose he could have done much worse.

Vic on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Help in the Western Approach:
    At one point while doing the missing wardens question you end up taking a fort. After I do, I see two icons I can't seem to get to. One is a landmark of some sort, and the other is a cave (I think it's supposed to be the well or something). Can't seem to find either.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

You can, actually, although it's not intuitive. Go into tactical camera, then right click on their actual character model (you can also issue a move order then right click again inside the circle of the move order).

I agree though, the micro in DA:I is the weakest of the series.

• Options
    regarding Alistair and Anora
    They seem to make a great team, if their interaction at Redcliffe is anything to go by.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Heir wrote: »
    At one point while doing the missing wardens question you end up taking a fort. After I do, I see two icons I can't seem to get to. One is a landmark of some sort, and the other is a cave (I think it's supposed to be the well or something). Can't seem to find either.

The flag is inside the cave, the cave may not open up till you talk to someone in the fort. If you have talked to that person walk around the perimeter.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Heir wrote: »
    Entrance is on SW side of the hill the fort is on. It's an alternate entrance to the keep itself.

Vic wrote: »
    There is something I could really really use someone's help with. Very minor spoiler.
    There is supposedly an area called Cradle of Sulevin that can be unlocked by reading a book in Emprise De Leon. The only description I have been able to find on the matter is as follows:
    The problem is finding the damn book...
    It's on a freaking cliff above the first camp in emprise there was a tent nearby .... it didn't even looked important and then "boom" area unlocked ....I forgot where I got it cause I wasn't paying attantion then I hope I can find it again later .

Does this ring a bell for anyone? I have tried searching far up into the cliffs of the first two camps in emprise, but to no success.
    And on a similar subject, if anyone has found any higher quality T3 schematics for mage equipment I'd be super interested to know where.
    It's during the climb up the mountain for Emprise. I think it's after Drakon's Rise Camp, past the entrance to the Grey Warden dungeon, on the LEFT edge of the mountain. There should be a big flat outcropping with an elven body there. Search it.

Re the map and directions, I'm just going to link this late night rant post I made before bed: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/31280004/#Comment_31280004

As for side-questing, I did actually like how in DA2 quests flowed together. They chained in non-annoying ways - I'm looking at you Western Approaches researcher - and if you weren't looking really hard at the journal, sometimes it was even hard to figure out which quests were main and which weren't. I'm not sure such a system would have been good in this game, where the world is much bigger, and quest givers are all over the place.

I'm not particularly bothered by it, maybe because I'm an old WoW player, and I happen to like exploring. That being said, like everybody says, get the fuck out of The Hinterlands, and I'm often rewarded for my exploration with a little bit of lore or a purple item or a neat little area. As I mention in my rant though, as I progress towards the mid-game (?) zones, I'm decreasingly getting rewarded for exploration, either because the zones have less stuff in them or because they're making these zones bigger/more difficult to navigate, cuz, I dunno, you're higher-level now, so you get to go to "cooler" places.

hippofant on
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    as crappy as the collect shards quests are (arg, forgotten oasis! I don't like your verticality when looking for things!)
    there is a *real* big gameplay reason for it.

spoilers if you want to figure it out for yourself
    in forgotten oasis there is a shrine that is embedded in the mountains a la Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
    You dump off a lot of shards into the doors, you open up rooms that have baddies in them.
    Loot the rooms, get items, permanently increase your resistance to types of damage.
    There are three corridors, Spirit, Fire and Ice. Going to the very end, and winning all the fights nets you about 20% permanent damage reduction.
    It takes a shit load of shards though. I completely cleaned Hinterlands, Storm Coast, and the Oasis and I got through all 3 Spirit doors and 1 Fire door.

its like 6 shards for the first door, 12 for the next and I think 24 after that the further you go into the corridors.

after all of that, there is a central door when you first enter that lights up triggers as you claim the spirit, fire, cold doors. I don't know whats inside that yet.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    as crappy as the collect shards quests are (arg, forgotten oasis! I don't like your verticality when looking for things!)
    there is a *real* big gameplay reason for it.

spoilers if you want to figure it out for yourself
    in forgotten oasis there is a shrine that is embedded in the mountains a la Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
    You dump off a lot of shards into the doors, you open up rooms that have baddies in them.
    Loot the rooms, get items, permanently increase your resistance to types of damage.
    There are three corridors, Spirit, Fire and Ice. Going to the very end, and winning all the fights nets you about 20% permanent damage reduction.
    It takes a shit load of shards though. I completely cleaned Hinterlands, Storm Coast, and the Oasis and I got through all 3 Spirit doors and 1 Fire door.

its like 6 shards for the first door, 12 for the next and I think 24 after that the further you go into the corridors.

after all of that, there is a central door when you first enter that lights up triggers as you claim the spirit, fire, cold doors. I don't know whats inside that yet.

Mmmmm. I love when there are sweet gameplay rewards for this stuff.

Now that I'm at skyhold my collect-a-thon shall begin!

Gonna be awhile before I do more story..

• Options
    The Cosmic FunctionThe Cosmic Function Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

The game really wants you to play it like an action RPG right out of the box, with AI spamming spells in non-intelligent ways. Going into the tactics menu and turning off the AI for certain spells is mandatory if you want to play this game somewhat tactically, otherwise AI will do really strange things. Like ranged rogues running towards melee combat with AOE flying around because they have melee range CC, and other assorted stupidity. It also harder makes using your skills tactically more difficult because you're always drained of stamina/mana with you switch to your character to use a skill.

There IS some fun here when you put the work in and turn everything off. Stringing together CC against several opponents so they're out of the fight is very satisfying, as is methodically punching out combos with ruthless efficiency. Its just the game fights you if you want to have fun that way. "Oh look, there is a tree with branches/large ass rocks/ hill/enclosed space? Good look finding a workable angle with tactical camera! Oh yeah and that fade rift you want to close way up there? Good luck seeing that shit." Its not all bad, but if they put in a little more effort into the tactical side of the game it would have been a much more clean and fun experience. Cause lets face it, anyone who's played dragon's dogma dark arisen won't be impressed with any action RPG after haha.

Oh and the game is kinda easy too. I think I'm going to bump it up to nightmare next time I play.

The Cosmic Function on
    hjpdlti27i67.jpg
  • Options
    Frei wrote: »
    They seem to make a great team, if their interaction at Redcliffe is anything to go by.

So by siding with the templars
    Did I miss out on the Alistair cameo?

• Options
    edited November 2014

Maybe. I sided with the mages, and I saw Anora and Alistair there as well. They weren't pleased with the Mage-Tevinter alliance.

Bassguy on
  • Options
    edited November 2014

You did. Maybe he'll pop up later, I'm not sure.

@bassguy I think you misunderstood the question. he's saying he sided with the Templars. edit: you edited your post so now this doesn't make sense.
    you only get Alistair and Anora if you go through the Redcliffe Mages side.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Even the ending slides to DAO suggest this. That they have a kind of good cop/bad cop thing going on.
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    am0n wrote: »
    Falves wrote: »
    Beltaine wrote: »
    I'm starting to feel like the game is too big.

I can't decide if i would be happier with a game that was 20 hours or less so I could run multiple playthroughs or not.

I played my first character about 12 hours before I thought it'd be cool to see what a different character would play like. I've gone 8 hours with that second character and now I'm thinking about my third and I haven't finished the game with any character yet.

Welcome to my world...

One thing I've learned over the last few years is I just don't have the patience/time for 60 hour games any more. I've been trying to condition myself over the last year or so to be less of a completionist and more of a Complete-the-damn-game-ist.

So many games have gone unfinished, but with 20 or 30 hours put into them.

Yeah. Not going to lie.

This game is so big I don't realistically see myself doing any more than maybe 2 playthroughs and some MP.

I think if/when people work out console commands so I can just get power/influence/gold that way without having to explore all of everywhere, I'll be a lot more willing to do additional playthroughs.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    God, the information provided to you in the vendor screen is so inexcusably lacking. I know this, so I saved right beforehand but if I hadn't done that I would have just dropped 9,000 gold on a medium armor schematic that is for elves only.

That little tid bit of information is not shown at the vendor, you don't learn it until you go try to craft it.

That's really unacceptably poor ui.

• Options
    @bassguy I think you misunderstood the question. he's saying he sided with the Templars.
    you only get Alistair and Anora if you go through the Redcliffe Mages side.
    Yeah, I was in the process of editing.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Cassandra would be the perfect woman if I could just shatter her faith in God somehow and make her as bitter and cynical as me.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Cassandra would be the perfect woman if I could just shatter her faith in God somehow and make her as bitter and cynical as me.

The Maker is a lot different than the Christian God. I always wonder why people are so quick to carry their irl beliefs into a world where they aren't very relevant. (edit: not saying you are, just something i've noticed when people talk about The Maker)

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    So, I just slapped a rune made of red lyrium into Bianca. Varric won't mind, right? :P

• Options

The game really wants you to play it like an action RPG right out of the box, with AI spamming spells in non-intelligent ways. Going into the tactics menu and turning off the AI for certain spells is mandatory if you want to play this game somewhat tactically, otherwise AI will do really strange things. Like ranged rogues running towards melee combat with AOE flying around because they have melee range CC, and other assorted stupidity. It also harder makes using your skills tactically more difficult makes you're always drained of stamina/mana with you switch to your character to use a skill.

There IS some fun here when you put the work in and turn everything off. Stringing together CC against several opponents so they're out of the fight is very satisfying, as is methodically punching out combos with ruthless efficiency. Its just the game fights you if you want to have fun that way. "Oh look, there is a tree with branches/large ass rocks/ hill/enclosed space? Good look finding a workable angle with tactical camera! Oh yeah and that fade rift you want to close way up there? Good luck seeing that shit." Its not all bad, but if they put in a little more effort into the tactical side of the game it would have been a much more clean and fun experience. Cause lets face it, anyone who's played dragon's dogma dark arisen won't be impressed with any action RPG after haha.

Oh and the game is kinda easy too. I think I'm going to bump it up to nightmare next time I play.

I already turned everything off auto cast precisely for those reasons. Only ones on autocast are the tank's since those don't need to be micro'd much.

I'm playing on Nightmare/Friendly Fire. Its actually not that hard, since Shield Warriors are unkillable from the front if you're micro'ing them. Shield Block is 100% broken as you can spam it to block everything, infinitely. Its funny taking zero damage from a cone of dragon's breath.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options

The Maker is a lot different than the Christian God. I always wonder why people are so quick to carry their irl beliefs into a world where they aren't very relevant. (edit: not saying you are, just something i've noticed when people talk about The Maker)
    Ehhhhhhhhhhh.......... Not that different. Also, nobody playing Dragon Age was raised to believe that the Maker is real, so there is even less of a reason to buy into any of the chantry's bullshit.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    God, the information provided to you in the vendor screen is so inexcusably lacking. I know this, so I saved right beforehand but if I hadn't done that I would have just dropped 9,000 gold on a medium armor schematic that is for elves only.

That little tid bit of information is not shown at the vendor, you don't learn it until you go try to craft it.

That's really unacceptably poor ui.

Shit, Schematic for Dalish Scout Armor? I almost bought that the other day.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Bassguy wrote: »

Ehhhhhhhhhhh.......... Not that different. Also, nobody playing Dragon Age was raised to believe that the Maker is real, so there is even less of a reason to buy into any of the chantry's bullshit.

But pretty different, though. Also, they live in a world of magic and the supernatural where demons provably exist - much different than our own, where none of that does. The idea of a God is easy to believe when you have demons and other supernatural things running about, too. There's far less reason to doubt. also, I mean, yeah, no one was raised irl to believe in the maker (what kind of point is this? lol.) but people were also raised to believe magic was't real, and yet when i play i'm not like "yo magic is bullshit i'm not using any mages it's not real"

(don't go editing this post, now)

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

Eh, I would disagree. They treat him a lot like it.

It's all a part of his plan, he forced you to watch that busload of orphans get set on fire and thrown over a cliff for a reason, you must have faith, he does nothing becuase he works in mysterious ways, he abandoned his children after they killed and betrayed his chosen one, no actual proof of his existence, etc.

You listen to Sebastian drone on about religion in Dragon Age II party banter and you'll really start to feel it.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Varric personal stuff.

Big spoilers.
    So...was honestly surprised to see that Bianca is alive.

And I have to say, the real situation is a lot more interesting than the one I'd made up in my head.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Wasn't there something in one of the games about how the spirits don't actually know if the Maker exists, and only know about the Maker through mortal dreams? I forget where that comes from.

Jephery on
    }
  • Options

Eh, I would disagree. They treat him a lot like it.

It's all a part of his plan, he forced you to watch that busload of orphans get set on fire and thrown over a cliff for a reason, you must have faith, he does nothing becuase he works in mysterious ways, no actual proof of his existence, etc.

You listen to Sebastian drone on about religion in Dragon Age II party banter and you'll really start to feel it.

Like I said to Bassguy, the realities of their world makes the possibility of a godlike being much easier to swallow. The stuff The Chantry drones on about is just as boring regardless, though.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Alright, narrowing things down for my next playthrough.

I'm thinking:

Inquisitor - Female Human ???
    Sera - Dual-Wield spec
    Iron Bull - can he be tank?
    Dorian - gotta have a mage.

Can't decide on what my Inquisitor should be. Leaning towards Archer or 2H warrior.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Alright, narrowing things down for my next playthrough.

I'm thinking:

Inquisitor - Female Human ???
    Sera - Dual-Wield spec
    Iron Bull - can he be tank?
    Dorian - gotta have a mage.

Can't decide on what my Inquisitor should be. Leaning towards Archer or 2H warrior.

Iron Bull makes a good tank. That's what I like about this one, no one's stuck in one role.

Also I'd recommend Archer. they're a lot of fun in Inquisition. they pair real well with the Artificer spec.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Bassguy wrote: »

But pretty different, though. Also, they live in a world of magic and the supernatural where demons provably exist - much different than our own, where none of that does. The idea of a God is easy to believe when you have demons and other supernatural things running about, too. There's far less reason to doubt. also, I mean, yeah, no one was raised irl to believe in the maker (what kind of point is this? lol.) but people were also raised to believe magic was't real, and yet when i play i'm not like "yo magic is bullshit i'm not using any mages it's not real"

(don't go editing this post, now)
    You could just as easily say something like "We live in a world where life exists. Where an unfathomable amount of matter exists. Dark matter and dark energy are incredible and impossible to explain right now. There is plenty of reasons to believe in X Deity."

The existence of demons or magic or whatever is no good reason to believe anything the chantry says. There could just as easily be alternate dimensions and/or other universes crammed into black holes in our world, but that doesn't inherently make any religion more believable.

(I'll edit where I see fit, thanks.)

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Huh. Just saw a Youtube video that shows (Companion Spoilers)
    Iron Bull and Dorian get together if you don't romance either of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWu3gc80ZGw

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
This discussion has been closed.