As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android:Netrunner] The only time Bad Publicity isn't a thing to worry about.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    So, went out again with modified core stuff and just said bugger all, I'll play all comers with whatever they got. Which right now is everyone's competition deck, because we are in tourney season here. Annnnd I beat a guy twice in a row, corp/run. He was...displeased. I did my best to keep a shit eating grin off my face. Was kind of upset when one guy joked to another running on my corp "oh yea and you'll hit a junebug" annnnnnnd he jacked out. It was a 3 advanced junebug. I was playing as Weyland "Surprise Motherfucker! +jinteki, with matrix analyzer to pass out some tokens.

All in all, this game is too much fun, and I'm glad it was not a thing of a ccg during my teen mtg years or I would have spent wayyyy more money than mtg ever got.

Also I am super not sure what I think of psi games at allllll. They frankly just seem too good. But what do I know.

That's actually kinda bullshit. People shouldn't interfere in other people's actual tournament games.

While I agree, the trick here is to own that comment. "Ah, thanks, Dude, I was worried about him going after that this turn. :D" It isn't just something you can do with spectators, and is something of a key skill to playing the game anyway - letting out misleading information about the current state of the game, or your feelings towards it. EX: Fidgeting with your cards in HQ or nervously glancing at them repeatedly when you're holding nothing at all valuable.

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    It's still a pretty dick move. It is also a rule in the FFG's Tournament Rules that scouting games is off limits. That was two no-no's on that dude's part. Normally I let scouting slide, especially when there's no chance they'll meet in pairings. If I were TO'ing that event and I heard that I would have ejected him.

Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    Yes. I already agreed with that. I'm just saying that it's something that you can twist to advantage if you prepare yourself for such things.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I'd never hear of something like that in my local meta. Our players all seem to be super courteous. I had one game where I faceplanted into a Neural Katana with two cards in grip. because I forgot he had a Lag Time up and my breaker was a Mimic, but they guy insisted I was just tired to forget that and that I could just take it back.

I mean, I was tired, but it was my own stupid mistake. But he insisted (and went on to win anyway, later).

• Options
    I'd never hear of something like that in my local meta. Our players all seem to be super courteous. I had one game where I faceplanted into a Neural Katana with two cards in grip. because I forgot he had a Lag Time up and my breaker was a Mimic, but they guy insisted I was just tired to forget that and that I could just take it back.

I mean, I was tired, but it was my own stupid mistake. But he insisted (and went on to win anyway, later).

Was it a tournament, or casual game? Because the latter is something I would totally expect. In a tournament, that's kinda weird, actually.

• Options

Was it a tournament, or casual game? Because the latter is something I would totally expect. In a tournament, that's kinda weird, actually.

It was at a league night. Not a big stakes tournament, but still something.

It was right at the start of the run. I put my finger on the table to indicate, and then remembered the Lag Time, look at my hand, and sighed.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Ahhhh I should not have left the board, it was a casual game! So really really not a big deal, I was just looking forward to popping it on him. And I did completely try and bait him into it after the guy said it.

• Options
    CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    I've played quite a few Netrunner tournaments and I've only ever seen one case of a person being a dick.
    (This case was a guy had 4 face up cards in archives used Jackson and shuffled all back in as he thought there were only 3 cards. The opponent told him and so he said if that's right he would put one back. The guy said that wasn't acceptable and called the TO and got him disqualified. It was definitely possible to return the board to a legal state.)
    That's a pretty good record of not seeing bad form, and one of the reasons I really enjoy Netrunner. The community is generally really cool.

Guess you guys are the exception ;)

• Options
    Face UP? Yeah that's no problem at all. That's a pretty big dick move.

We're pretty casual around here. Our TO is actually usually playing (he's one of our best players!) since we have such small numbers here and none of the people who work at the FLGSs know how to play Netrunner.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Cerberus wrote: »
    I've played quite a few Netrunner tournaments and I've only ever seen one case of a person being a dick.
    (This case was a guy had 4 face up cards in archives used Jackson and shuffled all back in as he thought there were only 3 cards. The opponent told him and so he said if that's right he would put one back. The guy said that wasn't acceptable and called the TO and got him disqualified. It was definitely possible to return the board to a legal state.)
    That's a pretty good record of not seeing bad form, and one of the reasons I really enjoy Netrunner. The community is generally really cool.

yeah that guy sounds like a jackass but the TO was the one who screwed up there

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »

Well I left out one detail, when the TO was called the guy who'd been accused of cheating asked his opponent if he was serious, when he said he was the guy said they didn't need the TO as he'd concede as he didn't want to play against him.
    Only time I've seen angry and upset people at a netrunner event.

• Options
    On a lighter note, in my janky core weyland I didn't even run scorched as I had so little tagging possibility and wanted to run fewer cards, but everyone installed the plascrete anyway because they expected it. That might just say more about local meta, but it was fun/funny to me. I don't think I had ANY meat damage in the deck, all net damage. And I know its just 3 credits, but it felt good to weasel that.

• Options
    3 credits and a click. Big difference ... Moreso if they didn't install it the moment they drew it and potentially discarded other things for it.
    The devil is in the details.

• Options
    EpimerEpimer Registered User regular
    3 credits and a click. Big difference ... Moreso if they didn't install it the moment they drew it and potentially discarded other things for it.
    The devil is in the details.

And the potential tempo loss if they were scared of running without a Plascrete, or of not installing things for fear of dropping their credits into SEA Source danger territory. It's definitely more than just 3 credits.

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »

Well I left out one detail, when the TO was called the guy who'd been accused of cheating asked his opponent if he was serious, when he said he was the guy said they didn't need the TO as he'd concede as he didn't want to play against him.
    Only time I've seen angry and upset people at a netrunner event.

oh, alright

yeah I wouldn't want to play against someone like that either but I'd probably stick it out just to see if I could peel points off of them

• Options
    My copy of The Source just arrived!

Time to work out how to fit some of these cards into some decks, as well as rework my Kate deck now that I have Code Siphon.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Took my shiny new core box along to game night last night. Didn't get to play it for lack of time but flashing it around the Magic players I got a few people who said they'd heard of it and were keen to give it a try.

C'mon local players!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Yessss just got my package of core+creation + data packs up to just before luna. anndd I got nice tokens too! that was completely unexpected! Not the team cov ones but some kinda nice plasticy ones. Yayyy!

AND I'm teaching a friend the game tonight, so hopefully I can make a convert.

QuantumTurk on
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I looked closer at the cards I got, I am missing a loooot of things in the order. Missing 8 datapacks by my count. I've emailed them, lets see if I get the rest of my stuff or just send all of this back. Booo.

An edit for positivity: Teaching my friend last night, he took to it like a fish to water. I played easy and didn't do things like scorch him when I could, but did let him feel the wrath of archer. But he all on his own figured out that he could use tinker, a battering ram, and a sacrificial construct to get through an archer followed by an ice wall and a wall of static. It was like watching a baby bird leave the nest to fly.

QuantumTurk on
  • Options
    tonight my regular league finally starts up again

cannot waiiiiiit

• Options
    I need an OCTGN mod that detects when I'm playing Noise and flashes up a window at the start of each turn that says 'You can clear the virus counters you know!' Maybe then I'd remember before he plunders my entire R&D stack in single turn.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    A question. How does Tyr's hand work? I mean, it says it stops one subroutine from being broken, as a counter to a breaking ability I presume. But what stops the Runner from just spending one more credit to activate the breaking ability again? Does the Hand make the subroutine unbreakable for the encounter instead of simply countering an activation? Because otherwise I'm kind of drawing a blank on what the card could be good for.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    From the FAQ (I had no idea either) :
    The Runner encounters Heimdall 1.0 and uses a click to breakthe first subroutine. If the Corp rezzes a Tyr’s Hand and uses its ability to prevent that break, can the Runner spend another click to rebreak the subroutine?
    Yes. Tyr’s Hand prevents a subroutine from being broken once, but the Runner can break the subroutine again.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Thanks for the answer.

So Tyr's hand is mostly just kind of terrible, isn't it.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    So yeah, useless against a breaker, but possibly good if they're click breaking.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    tyr's hand is meant to create scoring windows with heimdall or viktor 2.0 against a runner who is just clicking through your bioroids

and it's pretty good at that, but unfortunately it's so specific a role that it doesn't justify inclusion

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    It's hand..y if you're running the 2.0 bioroids that require 2 clicks to do things.

Were they expecting to get through with it the first time? Wellp, spend another two clicks and do it again, else something *is* firing.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Situational, but really nice if the runner is at/near broke. Aw, you spent your last click/credit to get through this last piece of ice unscathed, whelp, consider yourself scathed, i'm trashing a program of yours. Actually, am I right in that if a sub says "trash 1 program" the corp picks, but if it says "runner trashes a program" obviously the runner picks, right?

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Yeah that's correct.

If neither player is specified, it is always the choice of the person who owns the card. So in the case of a piece of ice trashing a program, the corp chooses.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    I like Tyr's Hand, because as an upgrade, it will look like an Ash. A lot of times runners will assume that it is an Ash, and either say "forget it, I don't have the money" or "let me click through this Bioroid to save credits". Either way is a win for you.

The reason I don't run it any longer is because it's got a ridiculous trash cost of 1, which makes it a huge liability against R&D locks. A card with that low of power should have a trash cost of like, 7.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    So if I want to expand a bit from the core set but not go nuts and buy every single datapack, is getting one or two of the premium expansions a good idea?

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Echo wrote: »
    So if I want to expand a bit from the core set but not go nuts and buy every single datapack, is getting one or two of the premium expansions a good idea?

Well, there's a few things to consider before deciding how to expand your collection.

Do you play regularly at a FLGS or with people who have their own cards, or do you usually just play with a friend/SO/family and use all your cards?

If the former, then I'd suggest looking into the premium expansions and datapacks that contain cards that you find most interesting/useful for the corp/runner that you enjoy playing the most.

If the latter, then yeah the premium expansions both contain some really excellent/interesting cards that will compliment the core set well. I would suggest also getting your hands on the very first datapack, though- What Lies Ahead- as it has a whole bunch of extremely potent/fun cards in it.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

Some of the key cards in the game, stuff which almost all competitive decks have, are in datapacks. Stuff like Plascrete Carapace or Jackson Howard, and many of the agendas like Project Atlas or Fetal AI or NAPD Contract that lots of people run because they're good forever.

But yeah, Anzekay is definitely right that you should think about who you're playing against and what you want out of the game before deciding what to buy. The premium packs are a great way of getting lots of new cards for a couple of factions you like.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Tournament tomorrow, and the last chance I'll have to win the winter season playmat. My Notorious K.I.T deck has run into some problems with Blue Sun and RP running IT Crowd recently, so I think I'll go back to Kate and the stealth deck I was running before. Corp wise I think RP is a decent choice, as people have been tuning their decks for Blue Sun, splashing D4VID and stuff in Kate.

We shall see.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Tournament tomorrow, and the last chance I'll have to win the winter season playmat. My Notorious K.I.T deck has run into some problems with Blue Sun and RP running IT Crowd recently, so I think I'll go back to Kate and the stealth deck I was running before. Corp wise I think RP is a decent choice, as people have been tuning their decks for Blue Sun, splashing D4VID and stuff in Kate.

We shall see.

RP is really solid right now, I think.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Are you guys seeing much Stealth Andy in your meta?
    Its really strong against RP.

• Options
    Yeah one of my games last monday was against Stealth Andy, @Cerberus‌

I didn't really have any trouble with it. I just dropped the right ice to keep him out of my scoring remote and pushed out a Future Perfect and an NAPD before he was set up enough to get in. Switchblade is really good but requires lots of stealth creds to use, so I just dropped all my Lancealots down to keep him out using the Galahad in hand.

• Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular

Data packs tend to make certain decks better (more transactions for Weyland), whereas the deluxes give you more strategies to play with (H&P opening up glacier Jinteki).

Personally, I'd recommend picking up the three deluxes. It will be a lot more entertaining.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    RP is probably Leela's biggest weakness, I've found. My tournament is tomorrow too and I'm still going to bring her, but I've had more issues against it than any other deck. @Cerberus, any tips?

tzeentchling on
This discussion has been closed.