Options

All Dogs Go To Heaven (And Taste Delicious) [movies]

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah, but if something happens you don't want to be the only studio that ran the movie and it leads to some tragedy. People aren't going to be ok with that.

It's the kind of thing that can ruin a company so I can't blame them when looking at it purely from a business standpoint.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Many people have suggested that Sony immediately release the movie online

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Many people have suggested that Sony immediately release the movie online

I'd probably actually see it, then.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah, but if something happens you don't want to be the only studio that ran the movie and it leads to some tragedy. People aren't going to be ok with that.

It's the kind of thing that can ruin a company so I can't blame them when looking at it purely from a business standpoint.
    Except now apparently any group can make empty threats and get movies pulled

It is the worst kind of preprecedent

WELP SOME WHITE SUPREMACIST HACKER GROUP THAT HAS NEVER EXISTED BEFORE AND HAS NO HISTORY OF ANY SORT OF ACTUAL THREATS BESIDES HACKING INTO AN EXTREMELY POORLY PROTECTED SERVER SAID THEY'D BOMB ANY MOVIE THEATER SHOWING SELMA, CANT SHOW THAT ONE

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I get the slippery slope argument and I understand it. I just can't blame the companies for erring on the side of caution.

• Options
    oh good now this has caused a friend to rant at me about "the pussification of america" and "the PC police"

i sure do love reheated adam carolla bits

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    hey guys, terrorism works

This genuinely upsets me more than anything that's happened in a while
    Something has been sensored because of the demands of terrorists

This is fucking awful

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Yeah I am fucking livid about this

Like, a small part because I actually wanted to see The Interview

But mostly because this is giving terrorists exactly what they want and proving that their methods work

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I blame James Franco and Seth Rogen for opening Pandora's box and making an incredibly stupid movie.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I blame James Franco and Seth Rogen for opening Pandora's box and making an incredibly stupid movie.

I mean, for me the movie makes it seem like the US government are the villains.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    It doesn't surprise me that the corporations that run these theatres are cowardly to begin with on this threat. Sad but expected.

But it does surprise me that one of the chains didn't go entirely in the opposite direction and use the press as advertising in order to increase sales.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Also I think the DKR thing has a lot to do with this.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Guys, maybe The Interview is just not a good film and theaters are taking advantage of the opportunity to have a film they feel that they can actually sell tickets for showing on more screens.

• Options

That's not how this works

It is not their fault they were the target of terrorists

That's some victim blaming

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Barcardi wrote: »
    It doesn't surprise me that the corporations that run these theatres are cowardly to begin with on this threat. Sad but expected.

But it does surprise me that one of the chains didn't go entirely in the opposite direction and use the press as advertising in order to increase sales.

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    The threats are ridiculous too!

They're from a hacker group who has never been seen before the Sony thing, and hacked into Sony primarily because their system was horribly unprotected. They literally kept everyone's passwords in .txt file titled MASTERPASSWORDLIST

So them claiming, ridiculously, that they will fly planes into literally every theater showing The Interview is about as empty as can be

I get why a business would want to cover their bases, but the precedent this establishes is disgusting, horrible and will undoubtedly lead to more bullshit like this

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I'm hoping maybe the Warren theater near me will be showing it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I still feel about the movie the same way I always did

It could potentially be good but the concept of a movie where the main goal is to assassinate a real-life living person makes me uneasy

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Can't wait for the Drafthouse LA location to open up

• Options

It could potentially be good but the concept of a movie where the main goal is to assassinate a real-life living person makes me uneasy
    Oh yeah, I totally understand how that would bug people.

And I doubt they actually end up killing him in the movie.

But regardless of the quality of the film, this whole situation is bullshit

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Yeah the thing is, I wouldn't even be kinda surprised if the movie actually concluded with them getting high with Kim Jong-Un and becoming best buddies because that's the kind of direction those movies usually take.

sig.gif
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    the precedent has been long established

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Oh yeah, I totally understand how that would bug people.

And I doubt they actually end up killing him in the movie.

But regardless of the quality of the film, this whole situation is bullshit
    They totally do

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    This whole thing is stupid. The Sony hack was likely some pissed off IS guy and North Korea's claiming responsibility. I doubt they would state sponsor a program to include "a sick skelo-man throwing up hand signs" and frankly the accompanying text reads like a guy trying to write in Engrish without being too overtly racist.

Also the last thing movie theaters need to be doing right now is convincing people not to go watch movies there.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    SimBen wrote: »
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Yeah the thing is, I wouldn't even be kinda surprised if the movie actually concluded with them getting high with Kim Jong-Un and becoming best buddies because that's the kind of direction those movies usually take.
    Yup!

I mean

Kim Jong-Un invites them to his country because he's a fan of the show and wants to meet Franco

The US Government says "Hey kill that guy for us, you don't have a choice in the matter"

That's uh

Pretty fucked up

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    This whole thing is stupid. The Sony hack was likely some pissed off IS guy and North Korea's claiming responsibility. I doubt they would state sponsor a program to include "a sick skelo-man throwing up hand signs" and frankly the accompanying text reads like a guy trying to write in Engrish without being too overtly racist.

Also the last thing movie theaters need to be doing right now is convincing people not to go watch movies there.

North Korea has never claimed responsibility

Their response was "we didn't do it but we like whoever did"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    Do you have another example of a major, nationwide motion picture being pulled from all major theaters a week before release because of a terrorist threat?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

North Korea has never claimed responsibility

Their response was "we didn't do it but we like whoever did"
    And the FBI says that they are fairly certain it isn't North Korea as well.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Do you have another example of a major, nationwide motion picture being pulled from all major theaters a week before release because of a terrorist threat?

There were bookstores that decided they didn't want to sell The Satanic Verses when all of the bad business surrounding that was happening.

And then when the sales figures started to come out, a lot of those stores changed their minds.

• Options
    If anything this will be good for the movie. Guarantee a ton of people who maybe were planning on seeing it are now going to want to see the movie that caused all of this controversy.

• Options
    If anything this will be good for the movie. Guarantee a ton of people who maybe were planning on seeing it are now going to want to see the movie that caused all of this controversy.

Well now they can't because all of the most prevalent theaters in the country have pulled it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Life uh... Finds a way

• Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

There were bookstores that decided they didn't want to sell The Satanic Verses when all of the bad business surrounding that was happening.

And then when the sales figures started to come out, a lot of those stores changed their minds.
    That's...not really the same thing.

Like, if the theater chains pulled it because they were afraid of angering their customers or public backlash then sure

But this was in response to a singular terrorist threat

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Well I guess I'm going to Austin

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Well I guess I'm going to Austin
    Lets Road Trip, GG

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Raijin literally no amount of buzz will make up for tens of thousands of seats going unsold

• Options
    FUCK THE TERRORISTS ROAD TRIP '14

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular

I can't think of anything to this degree but there's plenty of examples of censorship in response to terrorist threats

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

I can't think of anything to this degree but there's plenty of examples of censorship in response to terrorist threats
    Well its the degree that is the problem

This is the first, that I can recall, example of a major motion picture being pulled due to terrorist threats.

Unlike, say, if a small local theater chain or a independent studio pulled a film due to threats or controversy, this establishes that terrorism works even on the biggest possible stage and opens the door for any film to be censored or pulled if threatened

I used it as an example but I wouldn't be shocked if some white supremacists pull this same thing and get Selma pulled

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.