Options

[Halo Infinite/SplitGate] Halo Infinite available now! Closed Spoilers for story

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    This Halo game came and went for me in less than a week. It feels so incomplete.

Campaign is poorly balanced for solo players. No campaign scoring. Only one new standard enemy type added to the meager selection from Halo 4. Terrible, repeated boss fights. Pretty much every Osiris mission was filler. Weak ending. No firefight. Warzone is a glorified 12-12 territories mode with lame AI encounters and icky pay-to-win mechanics.

The arena offerings are dreadful, focusing almost entirely on ranked 4v4 competitive slayer. Series staples like king of the hill and oddball are gone. Fan favorites like infection and grifball are out, too. No Big Team Battle until later this year. Forge is also missing until later this year. There's no playlist for me.

The player customization options are a huge step back. No playable elites. Armor is head and body only, with no way to choose legs, arms, and chest pieces separately. The only way to get new armor is RNG and the initial selection is a paltry few items. Emblem customization is similarly limited.

The game's fun and all, but I really don't have a desire to play it until they at least add a Big Team Battle playlist into the game.

• Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Arteen wrote: »
    This Halo game came and went for me in less than a week. It feels so incomplete.

Campaign is poorly balanced for solo players. No campaign scoring. Only one new standard enemy type added to the meager selection from Halo 4. Terrible, repeated boss fights. Pretty much every Osiris mission was filler. Weak ending. No firefight. Warzone is a glorified 12-12 territories mode with lame AI encounters and icky pay-to-win mechanics.

The arena offerings are dreadful, focusing almost entirely on ranked 4v4 competitive slayer. Series staples like king of the hill and oddball are gone. Fan favorites like infection and grifball are out, too. No Big Team Battle until later this year. Forge is also missing until later this year. There's no playlist for me.

The player customization options are a huge step back. No playable elites. Armor is head and body only, with no way to choose legs, arms, and chest pieces separately. The only way to get new armor is RNG and the initial selection is a paltry few items. Emblem customization is similarly limited.

The game's fun and all, but I really don't have a desire to play it until they at least add a Big Team Battle playlist into the game.

I swear this forum is basically the only one I see where people consistently complain about the lack of elites. The last game we properly had them playable in every mode was Halo 3 fully 8 years ago. Just let it go guys

I've had a really good time with Halo 5 overall. I mean I really want more objective game types to be added in and think it's pretty bullshit that btb and forge isn't there at launch but I'm having enough fun with what's there to wait.

Though one thing I am pretty annoyed about is how shitty they advertised the 20 launch maps given how the majority of them are either just remixes or forge maps and I'm worried about what that means for the "free" dlc they promised. Forge is a fantastic tool for the community but it feels like such a cop out for the studio to use it instead of actually making unique maps

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I swear this forum is basically the only one I see where people consistently complain about the lack of elites.
    Really? It comes up on pretty much every other forum that has a Halo thread I'm on.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So what's the complaint about the Elites? There isn't enough of them or something? Honestly I find them dull to fight against, they're just bullet sponges.

Man, Halo 5 really reinforces what I like about Destiny. In Destiny I can go in with a goal in mind. Like 'Today I'm going to finish all my bounties' or 'Today I'm going to work on this exotic quest'. Halo 5 doesn't have that. Once the story mode is done it's all 'Today I'm going to pvp'. pvp isn't my go to mode.

• Options
    So what's the complaint about the Elites? There isn't enough of them or something? Honestly I find them dull to fight against, they're just bullet sponges.
    Not Elites as enemies in PvE, being able to play as Elites in multiplayer.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Oh, I imagine because the models are different enough that the hitboxes wouldn't be exactly the same.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Eh, that would be a pretty bullshit thing if that was their excuse. Fuck the "competitive" crap where everything has to be perfectly the same every time, MP should be fun. Variety is fun. At the very least, there's plenty of room for Reach's Elite vs Spartan gameplay, which was loads of fun and simply didn't have the two sides be identical.

But 343's awful ideas for MP killed the Halo 4 MP for me, not to mention the crappy campaign stuff. They don't have to straight-up clone what Bungie did, but 343 could at least do a good job with what they do.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    It's actually a pretty big deal. I remember one of halos where the head hitbox for either the spartan or elite was so fucked up that it was harder to hit then it should be. Which lead to everybody just using that model.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Hmm... the only missions that I can see involving Osiris as being filler really seam to be "rests" in the story to let the pace ease up.

Playing through the game on Legendary solo for my initial run, I think it's fun. DBNO makes it a little easier. More detailed squad commands (specifically... defend this position and/or being able to get a specific squaddie to grab a weapon) would have been neat. Once I finish the campaign I'll do some Warzone, heh.

Also, Reach had Elites.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    It's actually a pretty big deal. I remember one of halos where the head hitbox for either the spartan or elite was so fucked up that it was harder to hit then it should be. Which lead to everybody just using that model.
    Are you thinking of how the Elites' necks didn't have a hitbox?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Pretty sure they ended up just changing the hitboxes to be identical in the end anyway, so it was hardly a major obstacle. And even then, it wasn't such a big deal until (surprise surprise) it came to the competitive folks griping about it.

Stuff like the standby cheating was hellishly more disruptive to the game than a fairly minor hitbox difference.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I never cared for playing with Elites so that's whatever to me.

The lack of big team and capture the flag is very annoying though.

Only thing I like playing right now is warzone and the maps are limited at the moment.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    I feel like I'm one of the few people that liked when they had differences between the two character types in Reach's MP. Invasion/SvE Slayer was pretty fun.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Just beat the story mode on heroric.

Way better then Halo 4, improved in every way. Though

End Game Spoilers

Am I the only one who's cool with Cortana providing eternal peace?

Also, why the hell does Cortana have such a hard time reigning in the Warden?

Off to MP and Warzone I guess, though Destiny is pulling me back pretty hard.
    I thought the same about Cortana at first but the legendary ending bonus scene makes me not so sure. I think she's still more or less rampant.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Mechanical wrote: »
    I feel like I'm one of the few people that liked when they had differences between the two character types in Reach's MP. Invasion/SvE Slayer was pretty fun.

Yep! Playable Elites were awesome in Reach. I played the heck out of Invasion. There was even the silly Spartans vs Elites firefight mode.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Invasion was the best thing about Reach. Thematic. Tons of vehicles. Wave play.

• Options
    joshgotro wrote: »
    If only Spartans stealing the Banshee wasn't able to completely break the game.

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    I don't remember Banshee lasting long with the Tank.

• Options
    It's much harder for the Elites to steal the tank than it is for Spartans to steal the banshee. The only way the Elites could get the tank would be for the Spartans to bring it out of that garage in the first place, successfully hijack it, and then get it past that building and draw a bead on the banshee without being jacked back or just taken out by the anti-vehicle options that, unlike against air targets, are quite effective against the tank.
    And of course, that's on Boneyard. On Spire you're just straight-up fucked.

• Options
    It's much harder for the Elites to steal the tank than it is for Spartans to steal the banshee. The only way the Elites could get the tank would be for the Spartans to bring it out of that garage in the first place, successfully hijack it, and then get it past that building and draw a bead on the banshee without being jacked back or just taken out by the anti-vehicle options that, unlike against air targets, are quite effective against the tank.

So it's been years but this does sound familiar. Oh man jumping off of spire and landing on the not-falcon. Or jumping off and getting a kill then using the jet pack to land safely. Fuck me I want to play that again.

• Options

So it's been years but this does sound familiar. Oh man jumping off of spire and landing on the not-falcon. Or jumping off and getting a kill then using the jet pack to land safely. Fuck me I want to play that again.
    This one time, an enemy in the banshee on Spire came around the corner just as I was grabbing the sniper as it spawned. I immediately hopped down the ridge and went into the man-cannon to the top of the spire, but the banshee had seen me and started chasing me up. I managed to drop three rounds into it as I went up, but it was still following me so I still had to keep moving. I made a blind jump off the top of the Spire, and dropped the last round in my sniper's clip into the Banshee, which was the last hit it took to destroy it. I was gonna die as soon as I hit the ground, but it was worth it to take the banshee with me.
    Except I didn't die, because somehow I'd managed to jump into one of the grav-lift fall-dampener things with my blind jump off the spire.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Another issue I have with 5 .

Jumping on tanks to plant grenades can be so inconsistent.

I've had moments where I'd be running alongside it and the X just wouldn't appear.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    I can't think of a five day old game in a long running series that's been able to beat out nostalgia or habitual play of another game that's been out for a year with expansion support and all...

Speaking of inconsistency, did they tone down the stickiness of grenades by a ton too? Not even the AI lands sticks as often as previous games.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I can't think of a five day old game in a long running series that's been able to beat out nostalgia or habitual play of another game that's been out for a year with expansion support and all...

Speaking of inconsistency, did they tone down the stickiness of grenades by a ton too? Not even the AI lands sticks as often as previous games.

Honestly...I know its been a year but I remember Destiny not being so hot at launch.

Disappointing single player, annoying/grindy loot system, somewhat limited MP modes, pretty much being forced to buy expansions if you wanted to stay a part of the larger community.

Shit almost the same stuff folks are complaining about now.

That isn't to make excuses...just saying.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Destiny was bad at launch.

Sure, the fundamentals is fucking perfect and it's because of that Destiny managed to survive this long. But I gotten Destiny at launch on the PS4 (wooot white PS4) and I hated it.

Fast forward 2 expansions and being convinced by my friend to give it another go and it's one of my most played games to date.

• Options
    sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Made a short highlight reel of a few of our matches from last night. I'm really enjoying the feel of this Halo!
    http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/s314der/video/12499237

Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    So I picked this up and I think Warzone is pretty fun. Tired of pubbing it alone, though. Looking for a fireteam. Friend me and throw an invite!

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Honestly...I know its been a year but I remember Destiny not being so hot at launch.

Disappointing single player, annoying/grindy loot system, somewhat limited MP modes, pretty much being forced to buy expansions if you wanted to stay a part of the larger community.

Shit almost the same stuff folks are complaining about now.

That isn't to make excuses...just saying.

I kept playing Destiny a week after launch. I'm putting this down till they add something.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Destiny had the advantage of being around w/o many other options though?

Halo 5 doesn't have that luxury.

They said they're going to add moar stuff later down the line, BTB being one of those things they explicitly said they want to try and get in. IDK, I mean, not trying to force anyone to like the game if they don't. I just think comparing it to the prior games and Destiny, which many people are vested in already and is kind of a different genre is a touch unfair. :P

• Options
    Oh I'm not blaming you.

Honestly, I'm just passing time until FO4 and Tomb Raider come out.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Played a bunch of Warzone today. That's like my favirite big team shooter gamemode of all time. Loving it.

• Options
    I can't believe how close yet how far they are with Warzone.

I mean....jesus....this would've been my mode if the A.I. were just more then 'creep'.

• Options
    Yeah. I kind of wish the AI had a greater presence but were worth fewer points.

A lot of the time who wins just comes down to who manages to get the lucky shot on the high value targets.

• Options
    Well, I have Halo 5 on my hard drive. I guess I'll just keep playing Destiny till 343i releases more content.

• Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular

A lot of the time who wins just comes down to who manages to get the lucky shot on the high value targets.

I really wish that the points for the high value targets got split between teams based on the proportion of damage they did to it. Seems like it would solve that problem pretty well

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

I really wish that the points for the high value targets got split between teams based on the proportion of damage they did to it. Seems like it would solve that problem pretty well

I think part of the problem is that they're time sink damage sponges. They should be something we fight over, so denial is good, but when they take like three minutes of sustained fire it's just subject to last minute stealing.

I kind of wish they would fight for you instead of being worth points.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    wrong thread! :pop:

Halo halo something something.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I think part of the problem is that they're time sink damage sponges. They should be something we fight over, so denial is good, but when they take like three minutes of sustained fire it's just subject to last minute stealing.

I kind of wish they would fight for you instead of being worth points.

If anything, Halo 5 shows that they're listening to feedback. Maybe throw some of that onto their forum?

• Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    Well, I really enjoyed the campaign. Wasn't a huge fan of the small amount of game time as MC, but Locke wasn't bad. Not real sure where the complaints about a lack of set pieces are coming from, or the comments that the levels are forgettable (not here, reviews etc) as I thought the world design was fantastic.

MP pretty much peaked for me at Halo 3/Reach, so Arena and its Halo 2'ishness is taking some getting used to, but after 1400+ hours in Destiny its nice to just have a straight up, solid deathmatch often minus crazy powers and such for when in the mood.

Looking forward to seeing where the story goes in Halo 6.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Well, I really enjoyed the campaign. Wasn't a huge fan of the small amount of game time as MC, but Locke wasn't bad. Not real sure where the complaints about a lack of set pieces are coming from, or the comments that the levels are forgettable (not here, reviews etc) as I thought the world design was fantastic.

MP pretty much peaked for me at Halo 3/Reach, so Arena and its Halo 2'ishness is taking some getting used to, but after 1400+ hours in Destiny its nice to just have a straight up, solid deathmatch often minus crazy powers and such for when in the mood.

Looking forward to seeing where the story goes in Halo 6.

This is me basically. Halfway through the campaign, the set-pieces are, unquestionably, more impressive than any other game in the series, no exceptions.

A perfect campaign that does not make, but there's basically more vertical movement than every other Halo campaign combined (and that's while avoiding stupid obligatory platformer shit like we got occasionally in older titles like the last level of Halo 2).

Warzone is hard--really hard for me--but I don't have any complaints about the AI. As it stands, without some sort of overwhelmingly powerful weapon (like a Scorpion tank), and even with them frequently, an AI boss is a much harder challenge than their singleplayer counterpart, even if they mostly just hold one position. I've had cloaked elites murder me while chasing one of their comrades (or just passing through). AI wrait tanks don't seem to have trouble dodging rockets whatsoever. If anything, I wish they were neutered in terms of states, worth less points, and there were more of them (in other words, more creep like). Making the AI tougher seems to basically guarantee I'll never kill one short of running into an elite in a tank (since the other team will already be gunning for it and you).

Or maybe I just suck.

Synthesis on