Options

[Halo Infinite/SplitGate] Halo Infinite available now! Closed Spoilers for story

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Strika wrote: »
    I think you are just used to playing really casual shooters, and Halo 5 is going to require a lot more skill than you are used to, to be good in match making.

uh... I liked flinch in halo 4, and I think it sucks that they took it out. they should have toned it down to appease.

can you quote the person you're being smug toward? /boggle

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Strika wrote: »
    I think you are just used to playing really casual shooters, and Halo 5 is going to require a lot more skill than you are used to, to be good in match making.

Halo 1-4, Reach, and ODST encompass the majority of my gaming FPS historical time. I was really really good in Halo 2 ranked.

I am "used to the skill" required to play a game like this.

That doesn't change the fact that I think there should be more feedback in the gameplay. Especially after playing games that give more feedback which have been coincidentally developed by the original creators of this not-casual shooter.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    I played through the first two missions of the campaign last night with my brothers. We had a great time!

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    So I'm just going to throw this out here, speaking of control... This is the first Xbox One game I've played. The rumble in the triggers is one of the fucking sexiest things I've ever felt playing a game.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    So I'm just going to throw this out here, speaking of control... This is the first Xbox One game I've played. The rumble in the triggers is one of the fucking sexiest things I've ever felt playing a game.

Is there not rumble in the PS triggers?

ObiFett on
  • Options
    sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2015

Rumble has always annoyed the shit out of me and it's the first thing I change in settings when I start a game for the first time.
    Edit: Yep, just turned it on to see what you're talking about. Still an annoying gimmick that's not for me.

sPider817 on
    Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Halo 5 feels solid to me. It's not Destiny-good, but it's definitely the best-feeling Halo game I've played. Maybe I'm just used to how Halo plays, but I haven't had any problems with feedback or anything.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    I think it's a tie. But they're really in different sub-genres.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I do like the multiplayer warfare, I'd love to get a team together some time and kick some ass. I noticed the other night Mechanical Wolf was in my warfare match, does it automagically put together clanmates / friends or di you join my game?

Nosf on
  • Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

Is there not rumble in the PS triggers?

No. And I had dismissed it initially and then forgot it existed.

Now I really want Forza Horizon.

• Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    I do like the multiplayer warfare, I'd love to get a team together some time and kick some ass. I noticed the other night Mechanical Wolf was in my warfare match, does it automagically put together clanmates / friends or di you join my game?

Nah, I just have a tendency to drop into free matches for people on my list.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    yeah, the hunters have certainly been beefed up this time around.

still working through the campaign, am at Mission 13 Genesis.
    just met Exuberant Witness. between her and Gortys on Tales from the Borderlands, i guess this is the year of adorable AI companions.
    I love her enthusiasm over being able to open doors and extend bridges.[/spoilers]

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Halo 5 is a good feeling shooter because it runs at 60FPS and I can actually aim. I think the whole reason why there's so much aim assist in Destiny is because it's near impossible to make precision shots in that slideshow without it.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Just finished the campaign. It was good! Lots of great set-pieces and fun combat sequences. And the story... well, for better or worse, that was some Halo-ass story right there. I like the setup for Halo 6 though, I want to see where this is going.

Also, the music in this was fantastic.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Katsuhiro 1139Katsuhiro 1139 Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular
    It's a great campaign. No weak Flood levels throughout - I do kind of miss them, because I feel like they should be a fun enemy to fight, but they've never gotten the execution just right. Halo 1's Flood were probably the most fun to tangle in the original trilogy. Decent hordes, the big balloon guys were hilarious when they were springboarded through the air at ludicrous speed - while I disagree strongly that the shooting feels worse than Destiny (I despise the floaty, anaemic multiplayer of Destiny but I'll park my personal opinion here to avoid a flame war) - I do think Bungie learned to make a horde type enemy more tactile with the Hive's animation.

As it stands there's a lot of great audio cues to tell you when you've hit somebody. Particularly with the grenades; it's a type of plinking sound to tell you you've done damage. That's definitely new. I've thrown grenades around corners, heard the plink, and then thrown another one to finish it off. There's also a subtle indicator with the crosshair itself - if you're hitting the delicate parts of Hunters the reticule flashes red. General damage is also indicated by a series of notches flashing up next to your crosshair. Notches may not be the word but I've just woken up so do forgive me!

Music was great. Some nice callback motifs to the original trilogy whenever Blue Team were on screen.

In terms of general characterisation:
    Buck pretty much steals the show, character wise. They've really fleshed him out since ODST - he works better as a buddy character than a squad leader. Locke is pretty bland but then he's the player character and a foil to Master Chief, who is essentially a featureless protagonist who became a character in retrospect.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    They removed one of my favourite combat elements, grenade explosion chains. Im pretty fucking bummed about that, as its a great way for chaos to spread on the battlefield, and they just removed it for no reason, probably for like balance or to get access to grenades or some dumbass reason like that

They also removed the vibration on the controller when youre driving and a friend is firing a turret, bummer

aside from those two things combat and movement are the best theyve ever been

story is complete nonsense, I wish theyd stop focussing on all the forerunner shit and go back to humans and covenant.

The visuals are beautiful except some of the backdrops in that colony level, theres some seriously low poly mountains in that level, its kind of garrish

gamespots 8/10 is a pretty good judgement

Also im very lucky because I have 4 friends who co-op with me naturally, so all of us together playing it makes it about 10,000 times funner

Prohass on
  • Options
    Halo 5 is a good feeling shooter because it runs at 60FPS and I can actually aim. I think the whole reason why there's so much aim assist in Destiny is because it's near impossible to make precision shots in that slideshow without it.

I don't understand what world Destiny can be called a slideshow. It may be at 30 instead of 60, but it's rock solid.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Here's hoping Halo 6 adds more enemy variety. After Halo 4's anemic offering, 5 managed to add promethean soldiers and that's about it. Halo Wars 2 focuses on brutes, so we might see them return soon enough.

There's also not too much in the way of new weapons, but at least the promethean weapons feel a bit more distinct now. Tracking shots are neat. The new covenant plasma caster is pretty nifty.

Arteen on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

I haven't had that bad a time with Destiny, but I think the actual combat--especially things like AI behavior and level design in the most "intense" engagements--are much, much better in Halo 5 as I've played them before. They're not as good as I'd hoped, but Destiny really dropped the ball in those areas (one thing that kept me from committing to the game after a fun time in the beta).

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Generally, I like the way counterplay against the AI enemies more in Destiny, but I like the way the player controls so much more in Halo. If I could have a game with Destiny's enemies and Halo's movement and shooting I'd never stop playing.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    Here's hoping Halo 6 adds more enemy variety. After Halo 4's anemic offering, 5 managed to add promethean soldiers and that's about it. Halo Wars 2 focuses on brutes, so we might see them return soon enough.

There's also not too much in the way of new weapons, but at least the promethean weapons feel a bit more distinct now. Tracking shots are neat. The new covenant plasma caster is pretty nifty.
    Brutes are all more or less back on their homeworld tearing themselves apart like they were prior to the Covenant. Would be weird for them to come back in now.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Besides, the brutes were dumb.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Nah I loved the brutes, they had some personality and meat to them, plus their choppers ruled, It kind of bums me out how little vehicle v vehicle fighting there was in the campaign for 5, a lot of the vehicle v Promethean battles felt extremely dull because of this

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I will give Halo one thing. Online been pretty solid so far.

• Options
    Mission 14
    Oh my god I cannot be more happy to finally beat that triple warden fight on solo legendary. Fuck. That. Shit. It was like fighting a raid boss. Why does that battle spawn turrets?!

I made sure to prepare my squad with incineration cannons. But since the AI loses their weapons on respawn, I had to keep them alive through the whole ordeal. I ended up with one checkpoint right after destroying the second warden with Kelly down, Fred down, Linda about to get killed, all within slicing distance of the warden. I had to work out the exact sequence of events to get all of them back up and out of harms way, then pretty much hoped and prayed everyone stayed alive long enough for me to grab the last incineration cannon.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

You should see it in Forza. Direct throttle/brake/ABS feedback, right through the "pedal". So good.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Can we all agree that the lack of oddball is basically a crime against humanity?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Can we all agree that the lack of oddball is basically a crime against humanity?

Or Grifball. WHERE IS MY GRIFBALL?! Well, I guess it'd be weird with no hammers this time around.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    Mission 14
    Oh my god I cannot be more happy to finally beat that triple warden fight on solo legendary. Fuck. That. Shit. It was like fighting a raid boss. Why does that battle spawn turrets?!

I made sure to prepare my squad with incineration cannons. But since the AI loses their weapons on respawn, I had to keep them alive through the whole ordeal. I ended up with one checkpoint right after destroying the second warden with Kelly down, Fred down, Linda about to get killed, all within slicing distance of the warden. I had to work out the exact sequence of events to get all of them back up and out of harms way, then pretty much hoped and prayed everyone stayed alive long enough for me to grab the last incineration cannon.
    I managed to get through it with 2 squad members up still, only for them to be promptly killed by the ramp that spawns

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I played this entirely too late last night. The campaign is really fun! Hopefully I can finish it up sometime soon so I can jump into MP.

BTW, when I first logged into the game earlier this week, I thought it showed me having 7500RP. Last night it showed I had 0RP, I haven't spent any ever. What's up with that?

ObiFett on
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

The req server might have been down. Check your profile on halowaypoint.com.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    so i've played a bit of Warzone and.... i don't know.... its not quite what i was expecting from the description. i thought the enemy AI would would a bigger role in it, giving weaker players* a better chance of contributing, instead of just a few random boss encounters here and there.

the REQ system seems fine until you find your team even slightly out matched at which point a commanding lead can easily become total domination. that said, there are ways to turn the tide and the NPC enemy encounters play into that pretty well.

so far have only played with pubbies, i expect it'll be better as part of an actual team rather than a group of randos. i noticed there seems to be absolutely no indicator of your Spartan Company, which seems odd.

one thing that does stand out is just how little it tells you during a match. maybe i've just gotten used to Destiny**, but i've become so used to seeing numbers pop telling me how much i'm contributing to the team. +100 for a kill and +10 if its a melee or grenade kill. +50 for an assist. i know i'm scoring points, but there's no way of knowing how many, nothing to tell my if i'm leading us to victory or if i'm dead weight dragging us down.

*like me.
    **for what little i've played of its multiplayer that is.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Enjoying the game a lot, haven't played too much multiplayer but I did send a request to join the legion or whatever.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    Enjoying the game a lot, haven't played too much multiplayer but I did send a request to join the legion or whatever.

I don't know if anyone else has been, but I've tried to keep on top of accepting people into the Company. Need to get some more of y'all on my friends list, because I despise playing with randoms to the point that I won't even launch a multiplayer game if I don't see a party going.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    huh
    So a friend of mine a couple months ago noticed that newegg.ca accidentally put up the LE version of Halo 5 for the same price as the normal version ($75 instead of $120). We both ordered copies, assumed they would get denied, and promptly forgot about them.

In fact I even forgot Halo 5 came out this week.

Newegg just e-mailed me that they charged my CC and that my order is on it's way, and it totally is the LE version for $75

so that's kind of cool... although I sort of hate physical games now and wish I somehow had it digitally for this price!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    sPider817 wrote: »

I don't know if anyone else has been, but I've tried to keep on top of accepting people into the Company. Need to get some more of y'all on my friends list, because I despise playing with randoms to the point that I won't even launch a multiplayer game if I don't see a party going.

Which company did you guys end up going with? The wang one or pax arcadia one?

• Options

Pax Arcadia.
    https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/spartan-companies/pax arcadia

• Options
    Nosf wrote: »
    The req server might have been down. Check your profile on halowaypoint.com.

this was exactly it. Thanks!

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I tossed the Pax Arcadia link in the OP. If there's anything else people would like in there, lemme know.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular

Pax Arcadia.
    https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/spartan-companies/pax arcadia

I am going to join once the website actually allows me.

It's been a while, Spider.