[Halo Infinite/SplitGate] Halo Infinite available now! Closed Spoilers for story

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    If 343i was smart they could've designed the game to be more replayable with more things to talk about.

Take Destiny's new exotics, for example. Run mission X on difficulty Y while doing Z and you get a cool new weapon. Halo could've done something similar. Instead of every warzone weapon and armor being RNG, have some of it be unlockable through special requirements. Complete Blue Team on Legendary with the Black Eye skull to unlock a neat helmet. Complete Swords of Sanghelios with a score of X without using vehicles to get a new assault rifle for warzone.

Or it could be something simpler. Reach had daily and weekly challenges that gave players stuff to do every day. Halo 5 could have something similar to reward bonus credits.

Unfortunately for 343i, they didn't design Halo 5 in a way that would keep players talking. And Halo 5 is lacking in features as it is (see my earlier griping), so there isn't even that much to talk about compared to previous Halo games.

There are a couple of things that hurt Halo 5 replay wise. No campaign scoring or campaign matchmaking (right?) means campaign is good for achievements and collectibles and that's it. No firefight means no brainless, repeatable PvE co-op content. And then there's the perhaps too focused PvP selections (which I do think will be the first thing to get better). I do indeed miss the daily challenges, but think a repeat of that system would seem rather pathetic directly compared to Destiny (which the Reach system was clearly a prototype for).

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    yeah i don't understand the decision to remove campaign scoring. that just seems like a step backwards for the series. hopefully that will be something that they add in sometime soon.

• sockssocks Registered User regular
    Really enjoying this game. I love seeing my Friends list filled with people playing Halo again.

I will agree that the banning seems off though. I do not leave games early, on purpose, but the other night I was late meeting up with some friends online. I attempted to join their match in progress and it just kept saying that it was trying to connect me for a few minutes. One of my kids woke up so I had to go upstairs and put them back to bed. When I came back downstairs, my friends said that I did actually make it into the game but got booted for inactivity. I tried to join them for the next match and noticed I was banned. Now, it was only for about 10 minutes, but that seems like a really strict implementation there.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    oh man...
    the achievement for killing two wardens at once seems like it's going to be pretty interesting to knock out solo on legendary, I think I'm just going to focus on the don't wipe vs wardens on legendary, then drop to heroic to take care of that one.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    Beat it on Heroic last night. Loved the plot, but definitely reminded me of Halo 2.

I do wish there was more to it then just achievements for completing the campaign. That said, enjoying the taped-together Buccaneer Armor in multiplayer.

• MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Bootleg power armor, best power armor. I actually really like some of the new designs this time.

Mechanical on
    well this has been out a couple of weeks now and our Spartan Company has a somewhat robust roster, so when are we gonna arrange some 12 Spartan Warzone antics? i know we all want to know what it feels like to go in as a well organized, co-ordinated team and get totally kerb-stomped by pubbies! now who's with me? :P

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Story thoughts on where 343i is going with the plot:
    Halo 4: We have Jul 'Mdama's Covenant faction full of religious zealots as an excuse to continue fighting the Covenant. Their zealotry ties into their desire to awaken the Didact, who introduces the Prometheans as a new enemy faction. After a level or two, both forces combine to fight together. At the end of the game, Didact and Cortana are KIA. Prometheans are distinct from the regular sentinels, and aren't quite allies.

Halo 5: The Didact is dead so the Covenant are back to fighting the Prometheans as well. The game immediately kills off Jul 'Mdama then spends the rest of the game dismantling the Covenant faction that was introduced in 4. The game introduces the Warden Eternal as the new face of the Prometheans/Forerunner faction. "Cortana" (or Cortana?) is introduced at the end as the new leader of the Prometheans, although she has some conflict with Warden Eternal. Curiously, the constructor sentinels, like the regular sentinels in Halo 4, are not allied with the Prometheans. At the end, "Cortana" proclaims her desire to take up the Mantle and calls out to all of the various galactic species to unite with her.

Halo 6: The Covenant has been dismantled again, but it sounds like we will now be fighting the combined force of the Prometheans and various former-Covenant species that heeded the call. Even many of humanity's AI have turned, but I don't know what that will entail. I doubt we'll be fighting factions humanity. We will have Arbiter on our side, but I wouldn't be surprised if a number of elites joined with the Prometheans. Maybe we'll have sentinels on our side as well.

Ranked Platinum 1 in Team Arena. My suicidal rushes in objective based games paid off.

edited November 2015
    Arteen wrote: »
    Story thoughts on where 343i is going with the plot:
    Halo 4: We have Jul 'Mdama's Covenant faction full of religious zealots as an excuse to continue fighting the Covenant. Their zealotry ties into their desire to awaken the Didact, who introduces the Prometheans as a new enemy faction. After a level or two, both forces combine to fight together. At the end of the game, Didact and Cortana are KIA. Prometheans are distinct from the regular sentinels, and aren't quite allies.

Halo 5: The Didact is dead so the Covenant are back to fighting the Prometheans as well. The game immediately kills off Jul 'Mdama then spends the rest of the game dismantling the Covenant faction that was introduced in 4. The game introduces the Warden Eternal as the new face of the Prometheans/Forerunner faction. "Cortana" (or Cortana?) is introduced at the end as the new leader of the Prometheans, although she has some conflict with Warden Eternal. Curiously, the constructor sentinels, like the regular sentinels in Halo 4, are not allied with the Prometheans. At the end, "Cortana" proclaims her desire to take up the Mantle and calls out to all of the various galactic species to unite with her.

Halo 6: The Covenant has been dismantled again, but it sounds like we will now be fighting the combined force of the Prometheans and various former-Covenant species that heeded the call. Even many of humanity's AI have turned, but I don't know what that will entail. I doubt we'll be fighting factions humanity. We will have Arbiter on our side, but I wouldn't be surprised if a number of elites joined with the Prometheans. Maybe we'll have sentinels on our side as well.

Yeah. Finished the campaign on legendary solo... wooo...?
    Thought it was interesting.

Curious to see where AIs like BB stand though, as the game mentioned at least one Oni AI flipping sides.

I mean, Roland couldn't turn sides because PLOT... but the other AI are open season. Would have been neat to have them continue this stuff a la the Spartan missions (with better hosting thanks to TEH CLOUD), wonder what the DLC plan is other than more multiplayer maps.

Also of note, Marty gets a special thanks in the credits.

oh also Legendary teaser, is uh... not really sure what to make of it.

tastydonuts on
    Did a few matches in Warzone... it went about as well as I thought it would. Kind of reminds me of Titanfall with longer TTKs.

Overall I like it though. Feels engaging when it comes to aiming and stuff.

• Kestrel1Kestrel1 falco sparverius Noblesville, INRegistered User regular
    I think it's fairly obvious.
    Cortana still has access to the Index from Halo 1 in her data core and the Halo array has been primed to fire since Halo 3. Her plan is to engage the array, wipe out sentient life, then convert all AI constructs to corporeal form and use the resources of the Librarian to reseed the universe as she sees fit, with the constructs as its masters.

Kestrel1.png
    Mixer: Kestrel1 | Twitch: KestrelTV
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Wait.
    why is Cortana the bad guy now?

joshgotro wrote: »
    Wait.

story spoilers.
    she got into a Forerunner system that cured* her rampancy and has taken control of their Mantle of Responsibility**. using this power she intents to rule the galaxy with an iron fist.

it actually bring up one of the most glaringly bad bits of writing in the game. when Blue Team first make contact with Cortana and she tells them about the the Mantle Master Chief mentions that it was "an Imperial peace". Cortana says it wont be like that, she's explain it better when they're together and then proceeds to say that it will be exactly like that. "If there's no trouble, there will be no need for discipline".

they didn't even try to make an effort to make it seem like she was slipping towards being a dictator or at least start her off as a seemingly benevolent overlord only to crack down at the first sign of hesitation/resistance. nope, just straight into crazy town.

*well, she's not dying any more at least. she might have gone a bit crazy.
    **god is that a stupid name.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Wait.
    something something rampancy

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Kestrel1 wrote: »
    I think it's fairly obvious.
    Cortana still has access to the Index from Halo 1 in her data core and the Halo array has been primed to fire since Halo 3. Her plan is to engage the array, wipe out sentient life, then convert all AI constructs to corporeal form and use the resources of the Librarian to reseed the universe as she sees fit, with the constructs as its masters.

oh, what to make of it in the sense that I'm ambivalent about the writing there. :P

Wraith260 wrote: »
    Wait.

story spoilers.
    she got into a Forerunner system that cured* her rampancy and has taken control of their Mantle of Responsibility**. using this power she intents to rule the galaxy with an iron fist.

it actually bring up one of the most glaringly bad bits of writing in the game. when Blue Team first make contact with Cortana and she tells them about the the Mantle Master Chief mentions that it was "an Imperial peace". Cortana says it wont be like that, she's explain it better when they're together and then proceeds to say that it will be exactly like that. "If there's no trouble, there will be no need for discipline".

they didn't even try to make an effort to make it seem like she was slipping towards being a dictator or at least start her off as a seemingly benevolent overlord only to crack down at the first sign of hesitation/resistance. nope, just straight into crazy town.

On that note:
    I imagine if Cortana got cured of her rampancy before it drove her insane, she would be fine.

But as it is, she's "cured" but still damaged.

Also she's made from Halsey so maybe she was like this all the time.

Wait.

story spoilers.

On that note:
    I imagine if Cortana got cured of her rampancy before it drove her insane, she would be fine.

yeah that's the real mystery for me at this point. is she crazy because her Rampancy was to far along to really fix, because of the way she fragmented herself at the end of Halo 4 or because she's basically a recreation of Halsey and ultimately an arrogant and callus bitch.

maybe that will be the key to stopping her. pointing out that 'this is what Halsey would have done', causing her to pause long enough for you to kill her or even making her shut everything down herself.

Also, nostalgia remix to the nth degree:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAYPkVeWjXM

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    That Cortana/Warden Eternal don't control the sentinels and have to fight the monitors for control of systems make me think that the Mantle passing to the Created really wasn't the Forerunners' plan.

I agree that she's still rampant though. Access to Forerunner AOL didn't make her sane, it just made her insanity more stable. Her facial expressions are all madness.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    That Cortana/Warden Eternal don't control the sentinels and have to fight the monitors for control of systems make me think that the Mantle passing to the Created really wasn't the Forerunners' plan.

I agree that she's still rampant though. Access to Forerunner AOL didn't make her sane, it just made her insanity more stable. Her facial expressions are all madness.
    I think that's the only reason that the ending of Halo 5 isn't just "Cortana Wins," and the sequel isn't set 10,000 years into the future. :P

• sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular

I am still chuckling at "Forerunner AOL".

Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
    Wait.

story spoilers.

On that note:

yeah that's the real mystery for me at this point. is she crazy because her Rampancy was to far along to really fix, because of the way she fragmented herself at the end of Halo 4 or because she's basically a recreation of Halsey and ultimately an arrogant and callus bitch.

maybe that will be the key to stopping her. pointing out that 'this is what Halsey would have done', causing her to pause long enough for you to kill her or even making her shut everything down herself.
    Definitely got Halsey vibes from Cortana in this. I assume it's intentional, given the intro in the beginning and then later on in the story when Halsey says something to Locke about her Spartan program.

On that note it would have been lovely to see more Halsey - Adult Master Chief interaction.

There's little to none of that.

Though I guess that's because nobody really knows how they'd react to each other at this point. It's a really nagging point of the plot that hasn't been addressed at all that I can think of.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    sPider817 wrote: »

I am still chuckling at "Forerunner AOL".

you can find all the information about Cortana on the world wide web by using the AOL keyword FORERUNNER

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    On that note it would have been lovely to see more Halsey - Adult Master Chief interaction.

Though I guess that's because nobody really knows how they'd react to each other at this point. It's a really nagging point of the plot that hasn't been addressed at all that I can think of.
    I really don't think John would react to her much at all honestly. I suspect he'd view her involvement in his creation as an academic irrelevancy in the face of the next challenge. He's not a philosophical guy

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg

I really don't think John would react to her much at all honestly. I suspect he'd view her involvement in his creation as an academic irrelevancy in the face of the next challenge. He's not a philosophical guy
    Probably similar to how Jorge treated her in Reach.

Constructors not Sentinels. of course it's easy to assume that Monitors control both but similarly i wouldn't expect Cortana to just accept that any piece of Forerunner tech is outside of her control. i expect her to be using Sentinels at some point and to probably at least try and get control of the Constructors. will probably start replacing Monitors with the AIs that have joined her.

edited November 2015

Constructors not Sentinels. of course it's easy to assume that Monitors control both but similarly i wouldn't expect Cortana to just accept that any piece of Forerunner tech is outside of her control. i expect her to be using Sentinels at some point and to probably at least try and get control of the Constructors. will probably start replacing Monitors with the AIs that have joined her.
    All fair. I'm just pointing out I think the Created are usurping power, not coming into their fated role. Given that the Forerunners were probably doomed by an AI I can't imagine they'd want them to have the Mantle.

The ending is totally going to be this though:

ae6af4fb7ac3e79569b065190df300d4.jpg

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg

I believe constructors are considered a type of sentinel.

In Halo 4, the sentinels were controlled by the Librarian (helping the Chief) and in 5 they were controlled by the monitor, so I think it's more likely that the sentinels will be on our side instead of Cortana's.

Shamus wrote: »

Probably similar to how Jorge treated her in Reach.
    Yeah. Probably...

Also kind of curious about the lack of Osman and the rest of ONI in this game.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

We've seen them interact a little in the novels.

And John still gives a lot of damns about her. She's the closest thing he has to a mother since he got grabbed for the program.

She managed to get him to rethink a lot of his worldview within a pretty limited amount of time.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Also, nostalgia remix to the nth degree:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAYPkVeWjXM

based Kazuma Jinnouchi
    Halo music, saved by a Metal Gear composer! :P

chiasaur11 wrote: »

And John still gives a lot of damns about her. She's the closest thing he has to a mother since he got grabbed for the program.

She managed to get him to rethink a lot of his worldview within a pretty limited amount of time.
    Agreed. I doubt we'll see the Chief break his stoic shell that much interacting with Halsey, but she's important to all the Spartan IIs and visa versa.

I really loved Blue Team in this game. Seeing the whole gang together was great.

Agreed. I doubt we'll see the Chief break his stoic shell that much interacting with Halsey, but she's important to all the Spartan IIs and visa versa.

I really loved Blue Team in this game. Seeing the whole gang together was great.
    It was cool that you routinely see Fireteam Osiris with their helmets off but never Blue Team

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular

I didn't really care for it, would probably have preferred Chief to just be on his own again really

They were all just so boring. Same with everyone in Osiris except for Buck

Been playing a lot of warzone. Really like the shooting in this game.

They should cap the length of Warzone to 25:00 minutes (feels like the avg time an evenly matched game takes) and up the spawn of 25 point creeps. Would make the games quicker. I only make about 2k REQ per game though. :\

Warzone Assault reminds me of Reach invasion mode and ends in the same way, heh.

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Anyone else having trouble connecting to their servers on Xbox One? It keeps saying it can't sync. We noticed it while trying to find a game, which kept failing, so we quit the game, relaunched, but it can't connect. My buddy is in Texas, so it's not a local thing

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Saw a tweet from Xbox about problems with Halo 5, not sure what the current status is.

https://twitter.com/Halo/status/664510606548963328

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Kestrel1Kestrel1 falco sparverius Noblesville, INRegistered User regular
    Has anyone ever reached higher than level 7 in Warzone? I've got several cards now that require 8 points to deploy and I've not once eve seen the meter go that high. I'm still not even sure how you increase the level.

Kestrel1.png
    Mixer: Kestrel1 | Twitch: KestrelTV