As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense! (ironman, superhuman, starting tech & council funding only)

• Options
    FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Does our Avenger Bus have enough room for all of us?

Unfortunately the Avenger only has room for about half our total roster. Selections were made primarily on the basis of rank, marksmanship, and musculature. I feel bad for everyone who didn't make the cut, some of whom in particular have been around since the very beginning.
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Edit: Also Fanda, I assume you are already working on this, but can we get a kill count and stat breakdown of everyone before the final mission?

Coming up shortly! It's turned out to be a bit more labor-intensive than I reckoned, but I want to do it up right.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I made a few kills and survived up to the final mission. More than I was expecting!

I was honestly expecting to get shot on the Sky Ranger ramp.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Kind of bittersweet. IIRC, I was good enough to pick up one or two kills, but not going to be there when it comes time to knock a little harder.

Ah well. No rest for the wicked.

No peace for the good.

• Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Question - which pilot gets to fly the Avenger?

I mean, I'll volunteer along with everyone else but I'm quite happy to not have gotten blotted out of the sky at this point, not to mention having been CAG for so long.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »
    I need to be on the final mission. There was a prophecy, you see.

Let me guess.

Tom Petty said you were going to be murdered by ancient British knights?

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    i9le4nrjqltr.jpg

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Death is the ultimate glory.
    Fanda wrote: »
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Does our Avenger Bus have enough room for all of us?

Unfortunately the Avenger only has room for about half our total roster. Selections were made primarily on the basis of rank, marksmanship, and musculature. I feel bad for everyone who didn't make the cut, some of whom in particular have been around since the very beginning.

Earth's finest heroes

armageddon.jpg

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I have the feeling I made the cut as a psychic sponge.

• Options
    The Martian Expeditionary Force

fsasDer.png
    Confirmation Bias has never been quite as prolific an alien killer as its sister tanks, but that was before it had a death in the family to avenge. Unfortunately, the passage to the Martian underground isn't large enough to accomodate a rocket tank, so we'll have to abandon Confirmation Bias to its fate on the surface. But don't worry:

OdtZxOz.png
    After the sudden loss of Captain cB557 in February left X-Com reeling, TeeMan stepped up. His steady hand has guided us ever since. He may only have five kills to his name, but TeeMan has led from the front since his first day in command and never missed a shot I needed him to make. We could ask for no better field commander.

6qvRd82.png
    Talus the indestructible. She's had more near-death experiences than anyone else, but despite clocking a prodigious amount of hospital time, she kept coming back to rise through the ranks. An absolute legend of X-Com.

RZ4LUXp.png
    The consummate sniper. Whenever I needed a clutch rifle shot made, an_alt is the one I turned to. She's since graduated from rifles to heavy weapons, and her firing accuracy remains unsurpassed by anyone to this day.

SFK4Uaf.png
    Squaddie Molybdenum served capably but without distinction for her first three missions. Then came May: the time of reaping. Molybdenum tore a bloody channel through the alien ground forces with HI-X and cannon fire, locking down fourth place on the all-time kill leaderboard and earning herself an officer commission in the process. Now Cydonia awaits her, and the reaping time has come again.

0HcR61X.png
    Phoenix-D has always been X-Com's golden child - gifted in every discipline, able to fill any role. If she had joined the project a little earlier, she'd certainly be in the upper echelons of the command structure. I once said that if the campaign came down to a single shot, and Phoenix-D was in position to take it, I'd like our chances. She may yet be put to that test.

z0q2NPM.png
    YerMum has been with us since the beginning, and though she got off to an undistinguished start traipsing around the Norwegian fjords, she eventually overcame her poor firing accuracy to carve out a role for herself as a scout nonpareil. Her impressive strength gains came very late in the campaign, guaranteeing her place on the Avenger as we came down to the wire.

SLLi9s6.png
    Ah, Bigity. Your massive throwing arm propelled us through the first three months. Then terror came to Cairo, and everything changed. You didn't see much action after the Sectoids violated your psyche, but that wasn't because I lacked confidence in you; on the contrary, I've been saving you for something greater. Now, at last, your time has come.

k1lyFzw.png
    She's had a varied career, starting in a cleanup grenadier role before transitioning into heavy cannon sniping. Her strength was a pleasant surprise as a rookie; eleven missions and massive gains later, she sits near the pinnacle of beefcake mountain, gazing down with pity upon the less swole as they founder in the muscle butter seas.

4EX9TOj.png
    No one seemed less likely to go to Mars. Durinia joined X-Com with the lowest possible strength and did nothing on his first mission but whiff a wide open shot. But as the months went by, picking up a kill here and there, he gained in strength and sureness of touch. His promotion to Sergeant just confirmed what we'd already come to understand: Durinia had earned his place among the legends.

eYx7orN.png
    Powerfully built, quick on his feet, and a solid shot, Farangu's been a versatile heavy weapons trooper from the start. He's killed more Snakemen than anyone else, with four scaly scalps to his credit. He won't be able to add to that total on Mars, but he may finally confront the Snakemen's terror unit ...

DhnLoDD.png
    Another great all-round'er who got his start at the same time as Durinia and Farangu and has managed to outkill both of them, despite being blessed with speed and reflexes that often saw him cast in a scouting role.

X34xEbW.png
    In the Year of the Gauntlet, a ravenous horde shall sail from the stars in ships of silver. As their prows break the water, a mighty frog shall be cast up to shatter their house with its croaking. So sayeth the wise Alaundo.

LRcikwO.png
    Sergeant theSquid was on the first ground mission X-Com undertook. Of the original ten who deployed to the Congo on that January morning, only six are left, and it would have been five if not for Mvrck's heroics on Operation Impeccable Dickens. Fortunately, theSquid came back from his month in the burn ward stronger than ever. With a little luck, the man who instantiated the term "rocket sniper" will get a chance to bring his launcher to bear on the alien brain.

8nA7Abj.png
    A latecomer to the project, Antinumeric only joined us in June. His inaugural deployment was the night raid on the landed Muton Supply Ship, during which a well-placed rocket made him the only soldier in X-Com to kill a Muton on their first mission. Although we lost one heavy weapon trooper that night, Antinumeric has done a fine job of carrying on in HyphyKezzy's stead. Soon he'll bring our wrath home to the Mutons' masters.

paJClRH.png
    Elderlycrawfish has been with us since our second mission, in which he blew a Sectoid to pieces with explosive autocannon fire as soon as his boots hit the ground. It set the tone for a career of outstanding heavy support and marginal fire discipline. As a veteran of our assaults on both the Muton Supply Ship and the recent Battleship, not to mention multiple terror missions, Elderlycrawfish has seen the worst the aliens have thrown at us.

bLcGD8i.png
    Beefiest of the beefcakes. Bus driver to the stars. Our only actual psychic. His broad shoulders have carried us a long, long way, and soon he'll be able to lay down his burden.

0ilcNw9.png
    His improvements over the course of the campaign have been marginal, but that's okay; fedaykin666 was badass right out of the box. Curiously, he's never yet notched a Sectoid kill. He'll have an opportunity to remedy that oversight in spades on the Cydonian surface.

bZaDFIN.png
    He's shot up a door, one of our own tanks, and even a couple of aliens. Belated gains in strength and speed helped earn Iolo his seat on the Avenger, but it was his outstanding courage and composure on Operation Tora, Tora, Tora that sealed the deal.

Rwp8OCX.png
    7XhwSMT.jpg

OXoYObE.png
    When I think of lethal cannon marksmen, two names come immediately to mind. JusticeforPluto, alas, is no longer with us. But NotoriusBEN, who made his bones on our first terror mission and has never looked back, will carry the torch to Mars for both of them. Uniquely among his peers on the Avenger, NotoriusBEN has actually grown in bravery over the course of the campaign.

gWz0FvL.png
    None of see317's soldierly qualities has ever been outstanding. Poor reactions, average speed, a middling shot at best; he might be aptly described as a triumph of mediocrity. And yet, I cling to the notion that every soldier excels in some regard. If see317 appears unimpressive, maybe it's because his true strength - his psychic strength - remains unseen. Or maybe he's exactly what he's always appeared to be: X-Com's answer to Monsieur Thénardier. Time and the crucible of Ethereal psi-powers will tell.

qHPRLsN.png
    Sir Fabulous was part of our big barracks expansion in the early spring, and as his mission-to-kill ratio suggests, he's served since then in more of a supporting role. Barring a few exceptions, such as scoring our very first Muton kill on Operation Ultra Peanut, he hasn't really claimed the spotlight for himself. But with the fate of humanity riding on our next deployment, it may finally be Sir Fabulous's time to shine.

Those Left Behind
    38thDoe
    akajaybay
    Brew
    Gabriel_Pitt
    General_Armchair
    GONG-00
    Heffling
    Jintor
    Kadoken
    manwiththemachinegun
    Mr Ray
    Phaserlight
    Pixelated Pixie
    QuestionablySane
    Rhan9
    Richard
    Rius
    SanguineAngel
    schuss
    Stormwatcher
    SutibunRi
    Velmeran
    wilting
    Wraith260

In Memoriam
    cB557
    Chrono Paladin
    Cog
    crucialityfactor
    El Skid
    Entity
    Frozenzen
    Heatwave
    HyphyKezzy
    JusticeforPluto
    KoopahTroopah
    Oh My God
    Rainfall
    scherbchen
    Sumanai
    WIckedkarma

Director's remarks to the Martian Expeditionary Force, November 17, 1999.

I know you're all eager to get underway, so I'll keep this brief.

Thus far, our enemy has been mostly content to research, to harvest, and to infiltrate our world - slowly consuming and subverting it from within. Under interrogation, their leaders have revealed that they are capable of much more, should they be roused to it.

The moment the Avenger enters Mars' gravity well, our enemy will cease to view us as an obstacle and start to regard us as an existential threat. Vahlen's notes make clear that the alien response, should we fail, will be orders of magnitude more terrible than anything that has come before. We will not survive it.

So I don't think any of you need a St. Crispin's Day speech to inspire you on the eve of this battle. The stakes are, quite literally, everything. Everything you have known and cherished in your brief lives. Everything your forebears struggled and died to create, all the civilizational achievements they have bequeathed to you, every iota of human progress going back to our first descent from the trees on the African savannah. It all reaches its terminal point tomorrow, unless you can accomplish the impossible.

I'm sure you'll do fine.

On your side are zeal and resolve, the experience of a long war, and physical strength the likes of which has not been seen since Ajax and Hector clashed on the Trojan plain.

And, of course, all of this:

wsmDM6s.png

Mars awaits. Good luck and godspeed. I hope we meet again.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I've been the closest to a blaster bomb and survived. I'm un-fucking-touchable.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    EvmaAlsar wrote: »
    Question - which pilot gets to fly the Avenger?

I mean, I'll volunteer along with everyone else but I'm quite happy to not have gotten blotted out of the sky at this point, not to mention having been CAG for so long.

Since this is the first mission where we actually want to land right beside the objective, I feel like Elvenshae's unique talent for choosing LZs might finally serve us well.

Then again, there's no guarantee Elvenshae will survive the mission. It would also mean leaving the Avenger unattended on the surface. I wonder if that might come back to bite us.
    NqlZegp.jpg

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Boss, I hate to question, but I asked to be left behind to guard the unattended lockers.
    How can I guard the lockers if I'm on Mars? And if they're not unattended?

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Everyone fights. No one quits @see317

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    All that hospital time stunted my growth... :(

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I am now officially taking requests for souvenirs. First come first serve.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    On the one hand, sixteen causalities is sixteen tragedies. On the other hand, how incredible that Commander Fanda has taken us this far with so few losses.

• Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    Elvenshae drops us right by the Brain, I throw my Captain America shield at it - BOOM - heroes.

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Boss, I hate to question, but I asked to be left behind to guard the unattended lockers.

If you don't suceed on Mars, there aren't going to _be_ any lockers to come back to.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

I need you to guard the unattended ordnance when Bigity's eyes glaze over. =(

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I'd like to say right now, for the benefit of all concerned, you didn't see anything here, and I am 100% excited to be part of this exciting, not doomed at all project, which I am NOT selling out to the Ethereals as we speak.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    It's ohkay friends! We will have a birthday party when you come back! NO CAKE FOR ALIENS.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Chiasaur you already did that bit on page 2.

e: and I guess you remembered that and changed your post

cB557 on
  • Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    Chiasaur you already did that bit on page 2.

e: and I guess you remembered that and changed your post

Did what?

Showed how loyal I am to Earth?

I think by page 2, you mean every post in the thread. Unless, I dunno, you wanted to undermine my attempts to inspire the troops, for some odd reason.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Aaaaaand that's the whole games' worth of luck used up in the first contact.

Quoting from page 2 for hilariousness. Because we had no idea that Fanda had made a Faustian bargain when he started this Let's Play.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I've been the closest to a blaster bomb and survived. I'm un-fucking-touchable.

So doomed.

I'm not sure how I'm not dead already, but with that pre-mission writeup, welp! Time for the motivational gut-shot from the Etheral I guess.

Let's take em out.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Oh come on, I've been doing just about endless patrol flights. I wanna fly the new toooooy

• Options
    YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    Won't let you down commander. Just make sure I have a primed grenade in my pocket when on point, for special circumstances.

Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    From beyond the grave, I salute your brave souls. I have no doubt Fanda will succeed, although the price will be... heavy.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Alright, in honor of their noble sacrifice, we are auctioning off see317's loot hoard. Bring your squad mates.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Fuuuuck yes! I am ready, Commander!

Does our research indicate whether there are any doors on Mars? Maybe I shouldn't have been so quick to celebrate Dr. Vahlen's departure...

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    The simple man with a machinegun has the highest kill count out of those left behind with six total? After I raised every death flag known? I think the Vegas bookies just had a heart attack!

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    As a captain remaining behind, I'll dedicate myself to the task of calming the remaining squad (woo booze!) and subsequently surrendering if needed (when we run out of booze).

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    (Emerging from his broom closet "office", wearing a clean uniform and with no trace of alcohol on his breath or his steady hands, the project's mockingly-titled "morale officer" makes an unexpected appearance in the mess hall to address the troops.)

I'll be honest - I never thought you'd get this far.
    From the beginning, I had this whole operation pegged as some perverse, elaborate suicide pact. I didn't believe that, with the limitations placed on you, you could succeed. I figured it was only a matter of time.
    I underestimated you. I underestimated your courage, your skill, and your leadership.
    Again and again, you've defied my dire predictions... defied fate itself.
    And now...

I don't know what will happen on Mars, or to those of us left behind. Maybe this is when it all finally comes apart.
    But at the very least, you've all earned hero's funerals.
    And maybe... somehow... you'll actually win this ****ing thing.

*snaps to attention and salutes*

Godspeed, all of you.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking about trying Terror From the Deep. Are there any mods I should get ala openxcom?

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Oh dear I made the cut...

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    I'm thinking about trying Terror From the Deep. Are there any mods I should get ala openxcom?

As a, perhaps the recognized forum expert on Terror From The Deep, with multiple documented playthroughs....

Just don't try Terror from the Deep.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will... uhh, not join others from around the world. And we alone will be launching the, an aerial battle in history of mankind. *shuffles through some notes, clears throat*

Mankind -- that word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. Although fair enough let's establish that most of the world expected us to fail so, you know those differences aren't petty.

We will be united in our common interests now that the rest of the world has belatedly realised that we in fact did not get wiped out upon first contact.

Perhaps its fate that today is the 4th of July *shouting from the crowd It's June!* Who said that! QUIET!... Good, as I was saying it's fate that today is the 4th of JULY and you will once again be fighting for our freedom, not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution -- but from fiscal annihilation.

We're fighting for our right to continue to recieve a paycheck, to exist.

And should we win the day, the 4th of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when we declared in my voice: We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive!

Today, we celebrate our Independence Day! And concidently Elvenshae's birthday.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MZlJRzISc8
    Or I would say this, if I wasn't already dead.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will... uhh, not join others from around the world. And we alone will be launching the, an aerial battle in history of mankind. *shuffles through some notes, clears throat*

Mankind -- that word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. Although fair enough let's establish that most of the world expected us to fail so, you know those differences aren't petty.

We will be united in our common interests now that the rest of the world has belatedly realised that we in fact did not get wiped out upon first contact.

Perhaps its fate that today is the 4th of July *shouting from the crowd It's June!* Who said that! QUIET!... Good, as I was saying it's fate that today is the 4th of JULY and you will once again be fighting for our freedom, not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution -- but from fiscal annihilation.

We're fighting for our right to continue to recieve a paycheck, to exist.

And should we win the day, the 4th of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when we declared in my voice: We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive!

Today, we celebrate our Independence Day! And concidently Elvenshae's birthday.

Great now I feel like we are counting on Jeff gold lim to save us.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

"You're facing hordes of enemies with superior numbers, firepower, and psionic capabilities....

Do you still think you can win?"

"You bet your ass I do."

Cheeseliker on