As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense! (ironman, superhuman, starting tech & council funding only)

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    What NOT to do when breaching alien structures for the first time -

https://youtu.be/loCLWC5Djxk?t=1m

Watch where you sit!

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    YES.

Go murder those alien bastards!

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    It's nearing that time.

Pass the murder butter.

• Options
    YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    Welcome to Earth asshole!

Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    OOOOoooooOOOoo

I think that was the best contribution I could have made this campaign. Go get em, team!

oooOOOOooooo

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    In the first post you said that you don't have the narrative flair of Fishmen, but I thought it inevitable that comparisons would be made. There is no comparison. This LP has left me breathless.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Well, guess I caught a plasma bolt for the team at least.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Um... a question, Commander.

I understand the whole sacrifices for the human race to survive thing, and I am 1,000% onboard.

But when our troops die to Xenos for the good of humanity, aren't we supposed to say "For the Emperor!" as opposed to "Khorne cares not from whence the blood flows, only that it flows! Friends or enemies, all the dead are equal in the eyes of the Lord of Battle!"

I mean, I'm not completely up to date on the whole uplifting primer bit, but I'm pretty sure that's how it goes.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

I understand the whole sacrifices for the human race to survive thing, and I am 1,000% onboard.

But when our troops die to Xenos for the good of humanity, aren't we supposed to say "For the Emperor!" as opposed to "Khorne cares not from whence the blood flows, only that it flows! Friends or enemies, all the dead are equal in the eyes of the Lord of Battle!"

I mean, I'm not completely up to date on the whole uplifting primer bit, but I'm pretty sure that's how it goes.

If The Emperor had seen fit to provide us with las rifles or some armor, maybe he could claim some of the credit.
    All we've had to carry us through are a wide variety of high explosives and sheer bloody mindedness.

And for that, thanks go to Khorne.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    After that mission I'm tripling everyone's butter ration

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TeeMan wrote: »

Are we talking Muscle Butter, Mussel Butter or Tussle Butter?

• Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    Dibs on "post-interrogation disposal duty", please. :evil:

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    TeeMan wrote: »

Are we talking Muscle Butter, Mussel Butter or Tussle Butter?

It's Russell Butter.
    Only by becoming as awesome as Kurt Russell we can defeat the alien menace.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Doesn't Mars have a portal to hell?

Rip and tear, then.

• Options
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    fedaykin666fedaykin666 Registered User regular
    140 million miles, 140 million miles,
    140 million miles onward,
    Into the valley of Death,
    Rode the surviving beefcakes,
    "Forward Muscle Butter Brigade!"
    "Charge for the Brain! he said:
    Into the valley of Death,
    Rode the surviving beefcakes.

• Options
    FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Putting together the team for Mars now. I want to play through the entire mission before I start writing it up, so it'll be awhile yet, but I'll have one or two small updates in the meantime to tide us over.

The end is nigh! And it's only taken a year and a half. Can you imagine if this were a Long War campaign? There would be no survivors (because we would all have died of old age).

In the first post you said that you don't have the narrative flair of Fishmen, but I thought it inevitable that comparisons would be made. There is no comparison. This LP has left me breathless.
    You're too kind! I hope the ending lives up to expectations. I don't have the chops to do anything really cool like GuavaMoment's mind control swerve or the tour de force ending of Chiasaur's TFTD campaign, but I think it'll be a memorable finish all the same.

chiasaur11 wrote: »

You have an older edition, friend. The Uplifting Primer has been retitled Grimoire of Ascension in the latest print run, and the passage you mention must have been cut, because I can't find it anywhere. Although in fairness, some of the pages are bleeding, which makes them kind of hard to read.

Good news, though - I checked with some friendly space marines from the XXth Legion, and they're still using "For the Emperor!" as a battle-cry, so I reckon it's legit.

Fanda on
  • Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    I can't believe its been so long since this started, pretty much right around when I found out I was going to be a dad and now I've got a little 10 month old wobbling around the house. Keep up the good work Fanda, I am hopeful that our luck holds out.

Vechloran.png
  • Options
    FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    qbmcX5M.png

It only took two weeks.

ytQWX0L.png

Impressive work, doctor. Really top drawer.

6WgR1hu.pngThank you, Commander.

How did you manage to pinpoint their location so precisely? Were you able to communicate with our captive?

6WgR1hu.pngNot exactly. But when you have access to a creature's squildo, its heart and mind will follow.

Well, that's a horrifying series of words you just strung together. Regardless, I commend your efforts. This achievement is a wonderful note to end on.

6WgR1hu.pngTo ... end on, Commander?

Of course. We've got everything we needed.

6WgR1hu.pngWe have nothing of the sort! So much work remains to be done. At minimum, our soldiers will require a sealed environmental suit to survive on the Martian surface.

Haven't you seen Total Recall?

6WgR1hu.pngI've read the ... wait, what?

Their eyes will bulge out a bit, but they'll come through all right. Might even help their aim.

6WgR1hu.pngTHAT IS NOT HOW EXPOSURE TO VACUUM WORKS.

I'm afraid it's a moot point now. I've already sent the rest of the science team home.

6WgR1hu.pngNo! You can't! We have an opportunity to advance the scientific progress of mankind by untold generations. The Council will not permit you to squander it.

The Council's goal is the same as mine, Vahlen: winning the war. That's why they put me in command.

6WgR1hu.pngIt is also why they assigned me to oversee your efforts.

I beg your pardon?

6WgR1hu.pngDid you really think that such a crucial project would be left in the hands of an amateur? Had you deluded yourself into believing I was merely head of the science division? You may have the title, Commander, but I am in charge here, not you.

That's ludicrous. I've been making the key decisions every step of the way.

6WgR1hu.pngYou have chosen from among the alternatives we presented to you. The path to victory was laid down long before you arrived. All that we required was a compliant catspaw to walk that path, and victory was assured. Yet you persist in making things more difficult than they need to be.

There was no satisfaction in doing everything your way, Vahlen. And look, things haven't turned out too badly. We're on the brink of accomplishing something historic, here.

6WgR1hu.pngWe are on the brink of utter disaster! Fortunately, there is still time to pull back. You may have gone off the rails, but I won't let you take the project with you. A new Commander will be installed, one who will follow guidance, and ... wait. Where are you going?

6dnM1mS.png

Exercising my command prerogative.

6WgR1hu.pngThat is completely inadvisable, Commander.

hTxINRB.png

That's X-Com, baby.

Fanda on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Thank you for your commendable work on this project, Dr. Vahlen. Don't let the base door hit you in the ass on your way out...

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Maybe just a little harsh ...

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    SHE TOLD US NOT TO EXPLODE THINGS!!!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »

In her defense, she also encouraged research into better and more efficient ways to explode things.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

You make a compelling argument.

What say ye, Cpl Proxy?
    hERsjf7.gif

I ... see.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

Yeah, but who's the one who decided that we don't get to have blaster launchers of our own? I mean, how many did we pull out of that alien vas raid?

And where did they go?

Right in the fire!

• Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular

Yeah, but who's the one who decided that we don't get to have blaster launchers of our own? I mean, how many did we pull out of that alien vas raid?

And where did they go?

Right in the fire!

They exploded in the fire? That's not as fun, it was already on fire!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Talus9952 wrote: »

And where did they go?

Right in the fire!

They exploded in the fire? That's not as fun, it was already on fire!
    Even worse. They didn't even explode, they just burned.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Does our Avenger Bus have enough room for all of us?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
    Wow... and here we are...

Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »

If not, I suggest leaving me behind, along with keys to all on-base lockers and storage rooms.
    For safe keeping.
    That's all.

Just keeping a watchful eye on your valuables.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    We ride!

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016

If not, I suggest leaving me behind, along with keys to all on-base lockers and storage rooms.
    For safe keeping.
    That's all.

Just an FYI @See317, I plan on coming back from Cydonia. And in case you might have forgotten...
    Fanda wrote:
    For this mission, Mvrck and theSquid are conducting a trial run of a new equipment loadout: rifle in the right hand, rocket launcher in the left. They alone have the combination of marksmanship and muscle necessary to wield both weapons effectively.

Edit: Also Fanda, I assume you are already working on this, but can we get a kill count and stat breakdown of everyone before the final mission?

Mvrck on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Thank you for your commendable work on this project, Dr. Vahlen. Don't let the base door hit you in the ass on your way out...

As someone with low strength and terrible overall stats, I don't want any assprints on my new base door.

The meek shall inherit the earth!

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »

For safe keeping.
    That's all.

Just an FYI See317, I plan on coming back from Cydonia. And in case you might have forgotten...
    Fanda wrote:
    For this mission, Mvrck and theSquid are conducting a trial run of a new equipment loadout: rifle in the right hand, rocket launcher in the left. They alone have the combination of marksmanship and muscle necessary to wield both weapons effectively.

Edit: Also Fanda, I assume you are already working on this, but can we get a kill count and stat breakdown of everyone before the final mission?

I know, I know. Everybody plans to come back from the mission.
    But it doesn't always happen that way. Which reminds me, how well is your family going to be taken care of if you don't come back?
    I'm just asking because in my recent down time while everyone else was busy going on missions and apparently upgrading the locks on their storage units, I've found the opportunity to become a licensed life insurance seller. While I'll tell you up front that it is going to be a bit more expensive for people in our high risk lines of work than you might expect, the payouts will go a long way towards making sure your loved ones are provided for.

And, on a completely unrelated subject, you did sign off on those power of attorney forms I gave you, way back when... right?

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Vahlen might be a mad scientist, but Fanda is kind of insane. Lest we forget various x-com operations being powered by furnaces burning mountains of cash and the refusal to sully Earth's efforts by using alien tech. It just so happens that Fanda is one of those useful broken minds.

I'm going to be sad when this thing ends.

yossarian_lives on
    "I see everything twice!"

• Options
    edited June 2016
    If you can find it you can have it!
    I left everything in One... Piece...

latest?cb=20120831112934

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Please don't be on the final mission please don't be on the final mission please don't be on the final mission please don't be on the

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    I need to be on the final mission. There was a prophecy, you see.