As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense! (ironman, superhuman, starting tech & council funding only)

• Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    Wow, I was wondering why I was benched after the first two months or so after making it to Sergent, but now that I see my stats...hoo boy, those few missions I did go on must of been some sort of Make a Wish request cause besides moving and shooting, I'm a atrophied skeleton with the reaction time of sloth. Good luck soldiers, thanks for letting me play with you.

Vechloran.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I am the baddest motha in the land.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I am the baddest motha in the land.

Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself. I will believe in the me that believes in us, humans and the future!

• Options
    YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    Oh dear I made the cut...

We chosen few, we will buy our passage to Valhalla with the blood of our foes, we will make them pay for their transgressions and cleanse them in the Commander's name! They picked the wrong planet to molest this time!

Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I've just got one thing you should remember.

When you get to Mars...

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I only need to know one thing.....where they are. *flex*.....must kill humans...

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    We must show them muscle power.

I will suplex aliens through the crust of their forsaken planet.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Farangu wrote: »
    We must show them muscle power.

I will suplex aliens through the crust of their forsaken planet.

Farangu practicing for this particular feat:

ieQ5BF4l.png

• Options
    FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    tHJodN1.png We're entering the Martian ionosphere, Commander. Secure your stations for landing.

nF9rof4.pngCopy that. How's it looking on the ground?

RHos9uz.png Radar topography of the target area shows a flat basin surrounded by ... well, there's some interference, but these must be the pyramids we were briefed on.

nF9rof4.pngPut us down on the edge of the basin, if you can. We have to search the buildings for our exit.

tHJodN1.png Aye aye. The Avenger will stay on station until you're underground, then we'll tour Acidalia Planitia until you send the recall signal.

RHos9uz.png Coming into visual range now. No airborne contacts, no motion on the surface. It looks quiet down there.

nF9rof4.png... it's not.

U85J22l.png

As the seal on the rear door cracks open, air rushes out of the Avenger. Decompression is swift but not explosive, and by the time the ramp touches down on the gravelly surface, pressure has already equalized.

There's oxygen here. Artificially generated and highly localized, no doubt. Thin like mountain air. Yet breatheable.

Uq8Rrsw.png

With heaven knows how many blaster launchers and psychic aliens arrayed against us, there'll be no waiting on our usual smokescreen. Safety exists only in movement.

69gnpua.gif

Not a lot of safety, mind you.

q0MWOVT.png

Bitter cold and darkness. This is what Dante thought the center of hell would look like.

tmE0noR.png

Maybe it's only fitting that the first human being to set foot on Mars is also the first to set Mars on fire. Light from the nearby inferno gleaming off its hull reveals a hidden Cyberdisc, and Confirmation Bias rolls east to get a firing angle between the craters.

2J0edaB.gif

The disc's frontal armor buckles under the impact, but a telltale green glow from within shows that its plasma cannon is already charging for another shot.

5eTKBgw.png

Iolo disembarks to starboard and sprays more burning phosphorous into the night. With his target now bracketed by flame, theSquid takes aim from the bottom of the Avenger's ramp. It gives him only a very small height advantage.

fnzgroM.gif

But enough to clear the craters! I will never get over how good Squid is at his job.

Astonishingly, there's no further contact, and focus turns to the urgent task of securing our newly-won beachhead.

At the nose of the Avenger stands a pyramid with doors on all sides.

RkQkVGm.gif

YerMum steps in front of Iolo to lay a proxy on the door facing us.

2MFUf5k.gif

From inside the transport, Molybdenum likewise secures our northern flank.

CCcOnWe.png

And so it goes, all around the LZ, until each of the pyramids surrounding us has a package laid at its doorstep. More proxies go flying into the alleys between the pyramids, in case anything should approach from the north, and a trio of strategically-placed smoke grenades completes our defences.

rM9ehIi.png

According to Doctor Vahlen's analysis of the Bigity Incident, there are two possible mechanisms governing the aliens' use of psychic powers.

The first, and by far more terrifying, is that they can violate any mind within a moderate distance.

The second is that they require visual contact with their target - either directly, or through the eyes of another creature to which they have become psychically linked.

Going by this second theory, as long as we stay hidden we'll be immune to their psionic assault.

sLyuH6V.gif

Everything rests on our picket line of proximity grenades. The Sectoids have to be stopped before they can penetrate our smoke cloud.

hbkP6LR.gif

Because if even one of them should survive the explosion and get close enough to see us ...

YUMNK1N.png

... all bets are off.

9G4hc8x.gif

Well, we had a good run.

Olb2bsE.gif

A burst of plasma dissipates with a sizzle against the backside of Confirmation Bias's turret. Talus and NotoriusBEN flinch at the incoming fire; behind them, theSquid is preoccupied with clutching his elbows, rocking back and forth, and whimpering helplessly into the night.

Of the four men whose minds were just ravaged, only Iolo has held himself together - and only by a thread. Unclenching his jaw, he opens his eyes for a tentative look around.

m38tSFq.png

Mvrck now stands on the perimeter of the area of operations, staring up at the Avenger with unspeakable intensity. His hands are balled into fists, muscles twitching.

But what happened to Rend? He was right beside theSquid a moment ago.

8AZXIey.png

Oh.

Rend is with his new family now.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Yeee!

I made it!

Alright you guys you have fun out there.

...I think those are party poppers going off! So you ARE having fun!

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Wait...did Fanda have the first wave lay down their weapons in anticipation of the alien screwjob!? There is still hope...

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Wait...did Fanda have the first wave lay down their weapons in anticipation of the alien screwjob!? There is still hope...

Brav-ooooo

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    If you find yourself suddenly walking among amber waves of grain, do not worry, for you are in Elysium. And you are already dead!

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Come on X-com me, stay on the ship. It's safe(ish) on the ship.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Come on X-com me, stay on the ship. It's safe(ish) on the ship.

They have blaster launchers

Nowhere is safe

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Always look on the bright side!

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Guys I found the sectoids

Guys

Where did everyone go

Where did...

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Everything is fine.

• Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    I think this accurately portrays how we're feeling in the cockpit of the Avenger:

this-is-fine.0.jpg

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
    Operation: Downfall.

Stark reminder that it all comes down to this.

Looks like we hit their first line of defense pretty hard. Now, can Fanda pull off a miracle?

Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    So apparently my bookmark for this thread got unchecked and now I'm catching up and oh god this is like one of those nightmares where you go to school and didn't study for the final because you didn't know there was a final and hadn't even gone to the class the whole semester and why am I naked and holding a box of ducks?

....oh phew, just stuck on Mars in a major fustercluck about to be killed by aliens or mind controlled allies. What a relief!

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Haha! Who has the weak mind now!

• Options

Definitely not proud of cheesing the AI so hard, but I think it would've been a very short mission if I'd done anything else.

I'd completely forgotten that this was also the name of the operation in Edge of Tomorrow.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Fanda wrote: »

Definitely not proud of cheesing the AI so hard, but I think it would've been a very short mission if I'd done anything else.

I'd completely forgotten that this was also the name of the operation in Edge of Tomorrow.

Hopefully the quote doesn't apply here..
    "Operation Downfall isn't our endgame. It's the enemy's."

• Options
    ziul3FT.png Well, shit. Permission to neutralize Rend?

cGt0aw0.png

1eSqDYi.png Negative, keep your stun rods holstered! He and Mvrck could still come back to us. We have to give them time.

ziul3FT.png Wouldn't dream of touching a stun rod, sir.

LXJ7hWa.gif

NpdQsan.png Light up the south for us, see317. We need to clear room for the second wave. YerMum, Durinia, and Antinumeric, with me!

2qcGnx9.png I'm running low on incendiary rounds, ma'am. Gonna have to head back into the Avenger for resupply soon. It'll probably take awhile, what with the sticky mag release on my autocannon. Don't wait for me.

NpdQsan.png Less chatter, soldier, and more arson.

G553vv8.png

NpdQsan.png Brilliant. That's your target, Anti.

1H263cw.png This one's for Bangkok.

W54eVXa.gif

1H263cw.png It's still intact!

NpdQsan.png I can fix that.

0EDBcyJ.gif

NpdQsan.png Looks like we're clear again to the south and east. Consolidate behind Confirmation Bias for the next push.

41OrZeI.png

NpdQsan.png How're you feeling, Iolo?

duvejfh.png Had a bad moment, but I'm all right now, ma'am. Maybe the storm has passed?

rM9ehIi.png

From the north, a flash of fire.

B9TusaX.gif

A peal of thunder.

iauqlVB.gif

The tempest rages on.

whGMQct.gifjf0JCO9.png

With a scarcely-human hiss, Rend scuttles off into the northern shadows. Moments later, a grenade comes flying out of the darkness that he disappeared into.

YGjlU1y.gif

i2rsiw3.gifrMGXqsu.png

To the south, a tremor comes over Colonel an_alt. She bares her teeth, choking back a noise that is not quite a shriek nor a giggle, and unhooks a grenade from her belt. Pulling the pin, she drops it at her feet and takes a step back. Then she turns, looking down at her handiwork with a savage grin.

DZLFxp4.gif

zgI1SLD.png
    PWKXi3f.png
    j0O7Yz4.png
    4DszGHK.png

Smoke covers the blast sites in a dense pall.

Smoke and dust.

But no bodies, and no blood.

vP42UNk.png

They tried to kill us with smoke grenades.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    So it's not the plasma blasts that'll kill us.

It's not the martian atmosphere slowly killing our bodies.

It's not alien psychic waves turning our brains into goo.

No no, we're gonna die of smoke inhalation. Who got that square on the bingo card?

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Sound off! Talus! an_alt! What is your situation!?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Haha, wow. I thought those grenades were it for everyone.

• Options
    PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
    ...and a second time X-Com narrowly avoids death.

Can we avoid the panic spiral?

Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Lung Cancer...the aliens really want to make sure none of you survive Mars unscathed.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    How does the panic/berserk/mind control status work in UFO? We haven't see much of that to this point.

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Mind control simply means your unit switches to the enemy team for a turn.
    Panic might make you drop your weapon and either freeze in place or run away.
    Berserk causes you to fire your weapon at a nearby target (friend or foe).

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Well see317 is clearly a goner, lets start auctioning off his estate.
    Cracking open his locker... hey these are mine!

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Berserk causes you to shoot RANDOMLY in every direction.

This can be hilariously harmless (if your guys are in flying suits and you have everyone armed with pistols)

or absolutely terrifying (if your guys are toting heavy plasmas)

• Options
    420 smoke grenades erryday

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you lose conciousness if you stay in smoke for too long?

Maybe this is a clever alien ploy to coat the whole map in smoke and just let XCOM asphyxiate...

• Options
    El Skid wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you lose conciousness if you stay in smoke for too long?

Maybe this is a clever alien ploy to coat the whole map in smoke and just let XCOM asphyxiate...

Yep.
    Using smoke grenades on the battlefield can cause your own units to take Stun damage, weakening them and potentially leading to unconsciousness.

Unarmoured units will take stun damage whenever they end their turn inside a cloud of smoke. The stun damage to an unarmoured unit is 1-3 points per round. Soldiers in Power Suits or Flying Suits are immune to stun effects from smoke. Even unarmoured troops will have to spend a long time in smoke before they become unconscious, so as long as you remain aware of your soldiers' Stun levels (the narrow white bar within the Health bar), it should not present major problems.

A more serious hazard emerges from a bug in the way the game handles fire, smoke and Incendiary effects. Fire and smoke are interdependent in the game. One unintended consequence is that stun damage is done to all friendly units standing in any smoke area, every time an incendiary explosion occurs anywhere on the map. This happens instantaneously, affecting soldiers who are in smoke at the time of detonation. Therefore, be very careful in your use of IC munitions if you wish to move unarmored units through smoke, or hide them in smoke.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Open XCOM should have fixed that bug though.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    El Skid wrote: »
    On shots the show the health bars, you can see how close they are to unconcious by how much it's been filled by the little internal gray bar.if ou

Still, if our mindmushed comrades had been carrying anything more potent... the computer is not fucking around.

Gabriel_Pitt on