As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Virginia: North enough to be hated by the South and South enough to be hated by the North

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Chanus wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Fry wrote: »
    My understanding was that Humans Are Dumb and keep taking their flood insurance payouts and rebuilding in the same place, causing them to get flooded again, and the cycle continues. If the cost of flood insurance in that area is going up enough to make people stop doing that, I guess that's good?

Flood insurance payments aren't enough to buy a new home outside of a floodplain and abandon the home you have. So it's more people are stuck in a cycle that they cannot escape, because nobody wants to buy their flooded lot and they can't afford to leave unless someone buys it.

also especially closer to beaches, these houses are sources of income a lot of the time

which separate discussion entirely about landlords but

if the question is why would people keep rebuilding, the answer is there are a lot of reasons

Living on a floodplain that has water access is entirely different, because you have water access. The water accessing you is just part of the bargain. But the people a couple ~miles inland who are still just inches above storm surge? They're just fucked and shouldn't have been allowed to build in a wetland in the first place.

moniker on
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Well IIRC the first round of climate refugees this nations has gotten is from the Virginia peninsula, which I don't believe is considered part of the Hampton Roads area. Anyways, worth keeping in mind there is a difference between a noticeable trend and a holy shit trend. Also worth noting that not all property getting hit by flooding down here isn't waterfront a good chunk of it was built when you only really had to worry about the 100 year or 500 year floods of the time.

Throw in the fact that we have a number of military bases in this area and you pretty much have a housing market where affordable stuff is getting bought up quick. No doubt, the various shitty rental companies have been a big contributor in stuff getting bought up as well because they know people need housing and don't want to suffer fuck awful commutes. So if someone is smart, not attached to the land and can actually move elsewhere. It's been a good time to get out since like last decade. Which is the other thing, we're talking decade long periods, where the numbers of people leaving my barely be a blip on the yearly radar, but on a decade scale that can be a noticeable number. The Hampton Roads area is estimated have a population of about 1.8 million. So on a decade scale, a few hundred people moving is going to be noticed; especially, when we get down to things like districts for the House of Delegates. A few hundred people can be the difference between an urban city district having to extend out into more rural areas or ceding some of it's population to a more rural district. Also in the case of NoVA, we had enough instances of a few hundred people being added that we're likely seeing a few HoD districts from SW VA getting shifted all the way over there.

Edit: I'll note, that the military thing doesn't do much for areas that are considered ghettos, not unless someone can buy up the whole area. So you do see a round of bullshit where the people that really need help leaving can't. We also see a bit of vicious cycle where once gentrification kicks in, it fucks a shit ton of people because they can't afford to leave, but they also can't afford to really live in the area. The sad thing, is it isn't just property taxes that start putting the squeeze on them. I've noticed with stores in areas that are undergoing gentrification, that they start to shift their inventory more towards expensive brands and stock less and less of the store brand products, while some of the really cheap brands just get pulled altogether.

Mill on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Flood insurance is fed backed, so it's unreasonably cheap. If it were private market, the premiums would be much higher or uninsurable.
    I think NFIP should move to a one strike you're out from now on. Federally you get one more claim/loss event, then the lot (and any subsequent subdivisions) cannot participate.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Well IIRC the first round of climate refugees this nations has gotten is from the Virginia peninsula, which I don't believe is considered part of the Hampton Roads area. Anyways, worth keeping in mind there is a difference between a noticeable trend and a holy shit trend. Also worth noting that not all property getting hit by flooding down here isn't waterfront a good chunk of it was built when you only really had to worry about the 100 year or 500 year floods of the time.

Throw in the fact that we have a number of military bases in this area and you pretty much have a housing market where affordable stuff is getting bought up quick. No doubt, the various shitty rental companies have been a big contributor in stuff getting bought up as well because they know people need housing and don't want to suffer fuck awful commutes. So if someone is smart, not attached to the land and can actually move elsewhere. It's been a good time to get out since like last decade. Which is the other thing, we're talking decade long periods, where the numbers of people leaving my barely be a blip on the yearly radar, but on a decade scale that can be a noticeable number. The Hampton Roads area is estimated have a population of about 1.8 million. So on a decade scale, a few hundred people moving is going to be noticed; especially, when we get down to things like districts for the House of Delegates. A few hundred people can be the difference between an urban city district having to extend out into more rural areas or ceding some of it's population to a more rural district. Also in the case of NoVA, we had enough instances of a few hundred people being added that we're likely seeing a few HoD districts from SW VA getting shifted all the way over there.

Edit: I'll note, that the military thing doesn't do much for areas that are considered ghettos, not unless someone can buy up the whole area. So you do see a round of bullshit where the people that really need help leaving can't. We also see a bit of vicious cycle where once gentrification kicks in, it fucks a shit ton of people because they can't afford to leave, but they also can't afford to really live in the area. The sad thing, is it isn't just property taxes that start putting the squeeze on them. I've noticed with stores in areas that are undergoing gentrification, that they start to shift their inventory more towards expensive brands and stock less and less of the store brand products, while some of the really cheap brands just get pulled altogether.

Point of pedantry: the Peninsula (Hampton, Newport News York County, Gloucester, Williamsburg, etc.) is considered a part of Hampton Roads.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

WE'RE NUMBER 23! WE'RE NUMBER 23!
    Virginia no longer ranked ‘worst for workers’

For years, Virginia has been ranked as one of the “best states for business.” And for years, Virginia has also been ranked one of the worst states for workers.

This year, however, the state managed to hold onto the best-for-business claim while shedding the unflattering assessment of its labor policies, rising from dead last to number 23 in Oxfam’s annual ranking of the best states for workers.

Virginia Mercury is an independent news source covering government and politics

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

the Lee statue is now officially gone from Monument Ave

tweet is live footage of the removal posted by the Governor's account

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

I will say it is amazing watching the capital of the Confederacy rip down statues dedicated to the Confederacy. Virginia is the heart of the uprising. The lost cause tends to venerate people like Lee and Jackson who were Virginians. It is still the South no matter what folks say.

This is a reckoning that is 100+ years late.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I will say it is amazing watching the capital of the Confederacy rip down statues dedicated to the Confederacy. Virginia is the heart of the uprising. The lost cause tends to venerate people like Lee and Jackson who were Virginians. It is still the South no matter what folks say.

it does amuse me all the talk of how the libs want to erase our history coming from people who claim the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery and are now making friends with actual nazis

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Someone at the AP is sad

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    "Na na na na!
    Na na na na!
    Hey, hey, hey!
    Gooooobyeee!"

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    My understanding was that Humans Are Dumb and keep taking their flood insurance payouts and rebuilding in the same place, causing them to get flooded again, and the cycle continues. If the cost of flood insurance in that area is going up enough to make people stop doing that, I guess that's good?

Flood insurance payments aren't enough to buy a new home outside of a floodplain and abandon the home you have. So it's more people are stuck in a cycle that they cannot escape, because nobody wants to buy their flooded lot and they can't afford to leave unless someone buys it.

also especially closer to beaches, these houses are sources of income a lot of the time

which separate discussion entirely about landlords but

if the question is why would people keep rebuilding, the answer is there are a lot of reasons

Living on a floodplain that has water access is entirely different, because you have water access. The water accessing you is just part of the bargain. But the people a couple ~miles inland who are still just inches above storm surge? They're just fucked and shouldn't have been allowed to build in a wetland in the first place.

Aye. The problem many of these places is they should have never been allowed to build there and once it became a problem once the solution should have been to not let them rebuild and give some kind of compensation.

But the problem is often a familiar one: local government really likes money from new development. And so the incentive is always to sell off more protected land.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Me on my first trip to DC with printed-out mapquest directions: "Merge onto...Jefferson Davis Highway? The fuck?!"

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Butters wrote: »

Me on my first trip to DC with printed-out mapquest directions: "Merge onto...Jefferson Davis Highway? The fuck?!"

my internet sucks at work but there's a super interesting twitter thread about the propaganda effort the daughters of the confederacy attempted by creating a national Jefferson-Davis Highway through the South and out to the Southwest

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Yeah its being renamed though it is by local vote by local vote. Its Richmond Highway in Alexandria now.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

it does amuse me all the talk of how the libs want to erase our history coming from people who claim the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery and are now making friends with actual nazis

It's just silly. Triumphing over Confederates is just part of the Union's culture and traditions. Destroying this statue is Heritage not Hate.

• Options

Yeah its being renamed though it is by local vote by local vote. Its Richmond Highway in Alexandria now.

yeah Richmond went with Richmond Highway

i think Chesterfield went with Emancipation Highway or at least that was being considered

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

It's just silly. Triumphing over Confederates is just part of the Union's culture and traditions. Destroying this statue is Heritage not Hate.

One of my dad's neighbors has a Confederate battle flag with "Heritage Not Hate" on it. They live in Ohio of course so their heritage should be smashing the Confederacy like their ancestors Ulysses Grant, James Garfield, and William Tecumseh Sherman.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular

One of my dad's neighbors has a Confederate battle flag with "Heritage Not Hate" on it. They live in Ohio of course so their heritage should be smashing the Confederacy like their ancestors Ulysses Grant, James Garfield, and William Tecumseh Sherman.

people north of the Mason-Dixon line know exactly what they're stating by flying that flag

• Options
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

people north of the Mason-Dixon line know exactly what they're stating by flying that flag

i mean

let's be real

south too

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Yup. They're hardcore Dukes of Hazzard fans!

Seriously, in hindsight, it's kinda amazing they went that route. There was zero reason to put it on the roof, there was zero reason to name the car after a traitor, other than it was capped off by the distinctive car horn. Which they could have kept, cause it was easily the least worst aspect of the car. I get it was a different time, but it was also just blatantly unnecessary.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Seriously, in hindsight, it's kinda amazing they went that route. There was zero reason to put it on the roof, there was zero reason to name the car after a traitor, other than it was capped off by the distinctive car horn. Which they could have kept, cause it was easily the least worst aspect of the car. I get it was a different time, but it was also just blatantly unnecessary.

given where the culture around stuff like school bussing, white flight out of cities, and pro-Nixon sentiment was around the time of Lynyrd Skynyrd's Confederate flag pop-fetishism in the early-mid '70s, I frankly wouldn't be surprised if that was an intentional dogwhistle

• Options
    MorganV wrote: »

given where the culture around stuff like school bussing, white flight out of cities, and pro-Nixon sentiment was around the time of Lynyrd Skynyrd's Confederate flag pop-fetishism in the early-mid '70s, I frankly wouldn't be surprised if that was an intentional dogwhistle

Folks were still doing blackface for school dances, so yeah, it wasn't viewed as unnecessary.

• Options
    For anyone that didn't know, early in person voting for the state started today. My locality only has it open for weekdays right now and they only get two Saturdays in October for early voting it appears. So if you still don't Trust DeJoy to not continue fucking with mail service or have concerns that you might get filtered out by some bullshit like signature matching. Well it is an option open to you.

I'd also suggest people look at their sample ballot to see if your locality has any ballot questions or changes that ended the fuckery that was May elections, resulted in some races being moved to this fall. I know for Chesapeake they have treasurer, commonwealth's attorney, sheriff and commissioner of revenue. The city democratic party has managed to field a candidate in time to get on the ballot for the commonwealth's attorney and managed to wrangle up a write in for commonwealth's attorney. On that note, good to check for races now because you might have to find a write in option for stuff. Also I don't think many localities, if any, list party alignment for candidates so you'll want to check on that as well. See if the candidates belong to a party outright or heavily endorsed by one of the party's despite not being a "member."

Sadly, they don't seem to be running anyone for treasurer or sheriff. For treasurer, the republican is running against an independent. One thing that makes me cringe with the independent treasurer candidate is that she mentions lower taxes. I mean, I do support the idea of advocating for lower personal vehicle tax rates since that does tend to hit the average person far harder than it hits the wealthy. A little cold on a general statement about real estate taxes because businesses could stand to pay more taxes and this city probably has some real estate that should get higher taxation that isn't commercial because we either want people off it because the sea is currently contesting it or is about to or it's something that only wealthy fuckers can get. Not at all thrilled with we need lower taxes to attract more businesses, then again, local tax rates are in a race to the bottom. She doesn't seem to be treating the word empathy as a buzzword or as a sign of weakness, so I guess she can't be complete shit. Also she bothered having a website, which the republican apparently didn't bother to do and she answer ballotpedia's survey questions, unlike her opponent. Sure her opponent is an incumbent, but still. I guess I'll vote for her because she isn't a republican and is at least putting in more effort than her opponent.

Sheriff is a shit show because there is no one running against the incumbent sheriff and I find the idea of electing the top law enforcement position to be really fucking dumb because then it creates this notion that law enforcement gets to pick and choice what laws to enforce because dipshits turn the discussion into that. So given that there probably won't be a good candidate running against the republican sheriff, anyone got a suggestion for a fictional or non-fictional character that might be good for stressing a fucking stupid this kind of election is?

• Options
    https://ballotpedia.org/Virginia_Sample_Ballot

FYI

apparently the VA SBE no longer has the What's On My Ballot? lookup page. shame, but i guess there's always Ballotpedia

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    I've been getting ads for Youngkin that are clearly designed to pull Democrat votes in an underhanded way. Like opening with a vox pop from a citizen "who has been a lifelong Democrat" and is interested in a lot of good sounding things, but not actually mentioning that Youngkin is not a member of that party.

Hopefully McAullife has enough name recognition that people won't be fooled by that kind of ad.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I think it's very telling that for the local delegate race, the incumbent Democrat has flyers that are from the Democratic Party of Virginia, while the Republican challenger makes sure to never state his party affiliation and his flyers are from Americans For Prosperity, not the actual Republican Party. Hopefully the incumbent keeps his seat, I much prefer having a Democrat representing me than a Republican.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Yeah, that ad was funny. "I'm a lifelong Democrat, but I support Glenn Youngkin because of these vague platitudes."

• Options
    I like the McAuliffe ad that is mostly just audio clips of Glenn Youngkin talking about how much he likes Trump and Trump likes him. The sort of thing that works great in the primary but he would prefer didn't come up in the general election.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I've been getting ads for Youngkin that are clearly designed to pull Democrat votes in an underhanded way. Like opening with a vox pop from a citizen "who has been a lifelong Democrat" and is interested in a lot of good sounding things, but not actually mentioning that Youngkin is not a member of that party.

Hopefully McAullife has enough name recognition that people won't be fooled by that kind of ad.

Mcaullife is seen generally positive as a former governor, as far as I understand.

• Options
    I'll not the democratic write in candidate for Chesapeake's commissioner of revenue, Dawn Quick, isn't isn't listed on some of ballotpedia's stuff. I think I did see her mentioned somewhere there when I did my research on what was going on for local races. So I'd suggest people don't just limit themselves to ballotpedia, the SBE site or even their localities website, if you have a candidate running unopposed or a multimember setup where there aren't enough candidates you like or can tolerate for all the seats up for election. Check party websites, it was how I confirmed that the democrats didn't have anyone for sheriff or treasurer.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    I like the McAuliffe ad that is mostly just audio clips of Glenn Youngkin talking about how much he likes Trump and Trump likes him. The sort of thing that works great in the primary but he would prefer didn't come up in the general election.

I mean we saw in california reminding people the GOP is trumps party is a winning move.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    also posted in the Coronavirus thread but since it's VA specific:

neat new thing, if you're in Virginia you can go here:

https://vaccinate.virginia.gov/

and go to the "Need a copy of your vaccination record?" link, enter your info, and it spits out a QR code you can screenshot that can be scanned by an app some businesses will be using to prove your status

FAQ page with info about it: https://vaccinate.virginia.gov/recordrequestfaq.html

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    I think it's very telling that for the local delegate race, the incumbent Democrat has flyers that are from the Democratic Party of Virginia, while the Republican challenger makes sure to never state his party affiliation and his flyers are from Americans For Prosperity, not the actual Republican Party. Hopefully the incumbent keeps his seat, I much prefer having a Democrat representing me than a Republican.

This has been a thing in places like Oregon for a while. I can't remember the last time a Republican gubernatorial candidate readily advertised the fact that they were a Republican.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The Republican gubinatorial candidate is running on a pro-qualified immunity plank:

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Man I'd almost say that's a positive ad for Terry. But I don't know the polling on "let cops murder you without consequence" in america.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Man I'd almost say that's a positive ad for Terry. But I don't know the polling on "let cops murder you without consequence" in america.

But you do know the polling on "let the cops murder those people without consequence"

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Also one of the republican candidates that he has been running closely posted an anti-Semitic message on twitter and Yougnkin refuses to condemn him for it and apparently this has been a continuing pattern with the VA GOP.

https://bluevirginia.us/2021/09/absolutely-grotesque-antisemitism-on-display-from-yet-another-glennyoungkin-aligned-virginia-republican-just-one-day-after-yom-kippur

Each one of these instances, is starting make me think more and more that the real reason they primaried Cantor, was less about him being an uncaring asshole, that put his ambitions over his district and was more that they didn't like being represented by a Jew or that such a person had such a high leadership position within their party.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Also one of the republican candidates that he has been running closely posted an anti-Semitic message on twitter and Yougnkin refuses to condemn him for it and apparently this has been a continuing pattern with the VA GOP.

https://bluevirginia.us/2021/09/absolutely-grotesque-antisemitism-on-display-from-yet-another-glennyoungkin-aligned-virginia-republican-just-one-day-after-yom-kippur

Each one of these instances, is starting make me think more and more that the real reason they primaried Cantor, was less about him being an uncaring asshole, that put his ambitions over his district and was more that they didn't like being represented by a Jew or that such a person had such a high leadership position within their party.

Technically, Cantor was primaried for not being anti-immigrant enough, but I wouldn't discount this out of hand.

• Options
    God do I love early voting. Got my votes in for the democratic candidates on my ballot. Maybe Knight gets voted out, but not holding my breath on that given that he managed to keep his seat in 2019, which was a year far more favorable for democrats, but we'll see. I'm still hoping for the best, even if there are concerns about democratic turnout thus far.

Anyways, didn't have anyone running against the republican that was running to be re-elected to sheriff of Chesapeake. So had to come up with a write-in protest vote. Not sure if Constable Odo was the best choice because that character has flaws, but the whole idea of electing our top law enforcement is really dumb. Like I might not agree with the laws passed, but I don't want my top law enforcement running on platforms where they declare what laws they will or will not enforce. I see where that road leads, it's only a matter of time before we have some shithead racists in some racist shithole backwater winning on a platform of ignoring laws meant to protect minorities. Also don't like how we've had some law enforcement in this country that fucked up homicide cases because they wanted to run on having solved all the murders. Though enough ranting there.

I did my job and fed the election dragon that has spawned in Virginia. If it gets enraged and destroys us all, not my fault because I did my part.

• Options
    I am completely baffled by these stories I've been seeing about the race for Governor being a toss up. In the Presidential election Biden beat Trump by like 10 points, and Youngkin is very much in the mold of Trump. Do people dislike McAuliffe for some reason? He seemed to be a pretty solid Governor in his first time in the job.

steam_sig.png