As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We should all really quit [Social Media]: Facebook changes product branding to FACEBOOK

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    As an opt-in option under settings, it should be fine. Simple way to do a quick catch up if you've been offline or busy for a prolonged period, instead of maintaining a constant direct connection to the hive mind 24/7.

But hey, suggesting it's going to be mandatory and forced upon users is good for pageviews, so you know, demonise the megacorp and put no accountability on the trash media tabloid site transparently driving their site numbers up.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I'm already getting repeats of the same tweets multiple times over in my feed, why the hell NOT just fuck it up some more for shiggles?

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I'm already getting repeats of the same tweets multiple times over in my feed, why the hell NOT just fuck it up some more for shiggles?

Assuming those are retweets, then in theory a well-implemented algorithm would be a lot smarter about that. Maybe worse for everything else, but still.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    You can use the face filters in Snapchat on money and dogs

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Twitter keep putting that stupid "while you were away" in my timeline, and asking me "Did you like this?" when I dismiss it. I have never not said no, but it seems to think that one more try will change my mind.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    As an opt-in option under settings, it should be fine. Simple way to do a quick catch up if you've been offline or busy for a prolonged period, instead of maintaining a constant direct connection to the hive mind 24/7.

But hey, suggesting it's going to be mandatory and forced upon users is good for pageviews, so you know, demonise the megacorp and put no accountability on the trash media tabloid site transparently driving their site numbers up.

even if it's an opt-in feature, it's a bad inclusion

it furthers the perception that twitter only cares about you as a product, if they're providing options to make it more difficult to engage with people in a meaningful real-time way

it's tipping their hand in a really upsetting way

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

it furthers the perception that twitter only cares about you as a product, if they're providing options to make it more difficult to engage with people in a meaningful real-time way

That's not a perception. Twitter doesn't give a single fuck about you except for how they can monetize you.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular

I disagree. I could give nine flying fucks about realtime interactions.

Come at me, bro.

• Options

Come at me, bro.

Twitter is the most important activism tool in a generation and it hinges entirely on its immediacy

If you can't see the importance of that I dunno what to tell you

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Yeah I honestly think thats the main draw for Twitter. Its why CNN and MSNBC and probably Fox have used it as a news source when shit strikes in places they aren't

• Options
    S'funny how news media used to actually embed reporters in countries and have them looking out for stuff, and now that is mostly going by the wayside. Now there's a handful of interns watching twitter feeds all day instead, and maybe 1/10th of the actual manpower on the ground around the world, if we're lucky.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    The algorithm sounds good to me, if it actually works

Less filler is always nice, if it can actually accurately determine the tweets I want to see, go for it

• Options
    ContinentalContinental Invisible Presence Melty Molten GalaxyRegistered User regular
    I have Twitter and Facebook accounts, but I hardly ever check them. I prefer forums and other online ways of keeping in touch, without feeling the need to share minute details of my life.

• Options

Come at me, bro.

Twitter is the most important activism tool in a generation and it hinges entirely on its immediacy

If you can't see the importance of that I dunno what to tell you

Of course it's important. But saying that it's therefore the only usage model for the tool and only possible method for curation disregards every other person on the planet who doesn't use it that way. And further, every other person using the tool in another fashion is wrong. I mean, I like to wake up at 6am every day, but I don't think everyone else should therefore wake up at 6am every day.

You're projecting your values on the tool over the entire population of the planet, and not really regarding those who have alternate uses of the tool. You've restricted and defined the tool as just one thing, but that's not the truth. The truth is that more options beyond the status quo broaden the reach of the tool to other users and make it accessible and versatile to alternate needs and preferences. That those needs and preferences aren't the same as yours is okay. We're already talking about one of the most customisable social media platforms there is. Everyone self curates. Everyone selects who to follow, whose tweets appear in their feed, and no two feeds are ever likely to be identical. Allowing users options beyond 'lightly curated chronological' is honestly just a natural extension of that platform philosophy.

• Options
    I never said it was the only way to use the website? I was saying that their inadvertent attempts to muffle people who want to use their platform for some of its unique properties ducks

But if you're going to continue to be weirdly condescending and caustic about this I'm out

• Options
    What does it duck? Who is flinging projectiles at twitter? What do said projectiles consist of?

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    It's the Internet

Is there a projectile other than flaming poo?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular

Less filler is always nice, if it can actually accurately determine the tweets I want to see, go for it

my thing is, Facebook is terrible at this

it's constantly showing me friends' posts i either don't care about (or things i actively don't want to see, like car crash videos, political debates, and dead animals) even when i tell it repeatedly, "please don't show me posts like this"

and hiding things I do care about, because they either don't fit in the algorithm, or, more insidiously, they didn't pay to have their content floated to the top

and if Twitter's "while you were away" function is any indication, i can expect more of the same from Twitter

• Options
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »

my thing is, Facebook is terrible at this

it's constantly showing me friends' posts i either don't care about (or things i actively don't want to see, like car crash videos, political debates, and dead animals) even when i tell it repeatedly, "please don't show me posts like this"

and hiding things I do care about, because they either don't fit in the algorithm, or, more insidiously, they didn't pay to have their content floated to the top

and if Twitter's "while you were away" function is any indication, i can expect more of the same from Twitter

My Facebook feed is also bad at this but it's because everyone I know is just posting dumb shit anyways, doesn't matter how it's ordered

The Facebook news feed, however, that shows trending topics to the right? That shit is spot-on

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    it's hit or miss for me

sometimes, it'll find things that're extremely relevant to me, and other times (like now) it's 0/10

• Options
    I never said it was the only way to use the website? I was saying that their inadvertent attempts to muffle people who want to use their platform for some of its unique properties ducks

But if you're going to continue to be weirdly condescending and caustic about this I'm out

Ah, I think I see. You're trying to establish that any option on the platform that moves away from chronological ordering would undercut the value of the tool's use for immediate response over a population, and therefore what you view as its most sociologically important function.

It's an interesting argument, and I'll attempt to drop the snark to background radiation levels to respond.

That's a hypothetical. It could be true, it might not be. I don't think it is a concern, and in fact attempts to grow the audience and increase the reach of the platform could actually improve the tools value in that regard, but that's no more speculative than your position. I can't really know for sure, and neither can you. Not before it happens.

It's also worth remembering that while the immediacy of social organising and awareness on Twitter gave rise to #BlackLivesMatter, it also gave rise to #Gamergate, so it cuts both ways. It's a tool. It can be used for good or evil. I don't always think that immediacy of social response is a good thing. For instance remember when Reddit 'found' the Boston bomber?

I also think that saying Twitter is the tool for social media organising and awareness and hanging that on all the actions Twittercorp does is restrictive. It is a social media tool, but it's one of dozens. Did you see, for instance, the article in The Atlantic on the farmers of Myanmar and how they explicitly don't use Twitter? By restricting the purpose and function of Twitter you're putting this box around Twitter and saying that's what it's for; but there are both real world examples of people using Twitter for alternate purposes and people doing what you say Twitter is for on other platforms.

I'm not sure that you've established that Twitter should be putting that consideration ahead of others when attempting to improve/extend their service.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I can't believe no one suggested just putting a box in the side or corner with the algorithm results.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

You can also determine this by unfollowing people who post things you don't like, and following more people who post things that are more within your interest range.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    edited February 2016

You can also determine this by unfollowing people who post things you don't like, and following more people who post things that are more within your interest range.

That's not how it always works though

Alex Navarro may post a lot of dumb shit I don't care about, but has tweets that make him worth following. The current system is all or nothing

If an algorithm can determine which individual tweets I'd like, I think that's rad

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    We're arguing wildly different things here and I'm not interested in continuing the discussion.

• Options
    Well, I'm sorry I didn't understand whatever point you were making. I don't out of hand dismiss that you might have a point of view worth considering, even if I didn't get what it was.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Is there anyway to see posts by a deleted user on Reddit?

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    nevermind, the facebook bug I thought was a bug was just a bug

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    nevermind, the facebook bug I thought was a bug was just a bug
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    My facebook has variations for 'like' now. I don't like the change but I think it's just the change that I don't like. Haha, that was unintentional. Anyway, I have thought "I wish facebook had PA style reactions" before, so it's interesting to have it actually happen.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Yeah they full on stole the whole idea from Vanilla

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    FB needs an ennui button. I'd click that on everything my mother posts.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Yeah they full on stole the whole idea from Vanilla

Buzzfeed?

• Options
    So you can google your purchase history? If you use gmail for your various accounts you can search for 'my purchases' in google and it will show you your purchases for all sites, steam, amazon etc. It seems unnecessary and unsafe. If I wanted to look through my purchase history I'd either go to the site I purchased the thing from from or go to my gmail, not look it up in google search. Thankfully, you can turn it off.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    See a comment defending Gods of Egypt casting on friend's FB page.

Check the commentor's FB.

Complaining about SJWs, right at the top.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Green Menace HarareRegistered User regular
    Social media is "feeding" on forums and any kind of longer and deeper discussion (read: killing it softly) - nobody will read your textwall on cellphone (say - on a toilet shell, in car, driving a bike...) while here there is still 1% chance :)

Things are becoming shorter, quicker & more visual (say it with gif and whatnot).

For what it's worth, I haven't noticed the depression and saddening you talk about!? It reminds me somewhat of "Reddit is circlejerk/cesspool" and such generalizations I don't agree with.

3014467-ezgif.com-crop%283%29.gif
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    My mom joined twitter.

It's official twitter is over.

• Options
    It's funny because my mother and mother-in-law were the main reasons I joined Twitter.

They were posting pics of their babysitting outings with my boy while I was stuck in the office at work and I just wanted to be engaged with what he was doing with them and not find out hours or days later from just the subset of posts that my wife would select or remember to show me.