As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Movies] Watch Edge of Tomorrow. Bitch about it. Repeat.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I think it bears emphasizing that Scientology is not even a little bit crazier in their theology than many, if not all broadly accepted religions. But their church itself has done some awful, awful things.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    I think it bears emphasizing that Scientology is not even a little bit crazier in their theology than many, if not all broadly accepted religions. But their church itself has done some awful, awful things.

Yeah, it's not the beliefs that are the problem it's the Church itself.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Just going to emphasize that this is a movie thread, and any discussion of scientology needs to be in the specific context of the movie about it, rather than just, "wow, scientology, fuckin crazy, man. "

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Sooo, movies.

I'm having a hard time tracking down Atomika's 2 horror movie recomendations.

Which is odd, since I thought at least It Follows should be easy enough.

Guess we can do John Wick this week instead.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    The Unknown Known is great; if you want to look into the eyes of a liar who's totally comfortable in his own filth, it's well worth watching.

I don't know, I feel like I need a shower just reading the wikipedia summary.

• Options
    Mortious wrote: »
    Sooo, movies.

It Follows doesn't come out in theaters until March, and The Witch has no release date yet that I can find.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Sooo, movies.

It Follows comes out in the US in March, I believe.

The Witch is being courted by distributers at this very moment.

Sounds like The Witch will be VoD and digital, rather than theatrical. Oddly.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Sooo, movies.

It Follows doesn't come out in theaters until March, and The Witch has no release date yet that I can find.

Okay, that's odd, thanks for the head's up

I was going by this quick google result: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3235888/releaseinfo

Imdb also had The Witch as Jan2015 sometime.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    So It Goes wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1l5m-h6Ugo

This is really good. My only objection is including anything from Indiana Jones 4, yuck.

can't believe they only used the one shot from dualists. what the hell.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1l5m-h6Ugo

This is really good. My only objection is including anything from Indiana Jones 4, yuck.

can't believe they only used the one shot from dualists. what the hell.

she had a lot to pack in there!

some more good ones from same video maker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij6Q8jWUbks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__yfj6F7AUg

• Options
    Sooo, movies.

I was going by this quick google result: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3235888/releaseinfo

At the bottom of the link you posted is the US release date, preceeded by release dates for France and the UK in February, and everything above that are dates that it played festivals.

Likewise The Witch premiered at Sundance this month, but won't be in theaters until (unless) it finds a distributor.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Sooo, movies.

At the bottom of the link you posted is the US release date, preceeded by release dates for France and the UK in February, and everything above that are dates that it played festivals.

Likewise The Witch premiered at Sundance this month, but won't be in theaters until (unless) it finds a distributor.

Ah, super.

Guess I'll keep an eye out then.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Nocren wrote: »
    So then which Disney villains represent Wrath and Gluttony?

The Red Queen and, I don't know, Cruella DeVille, maybe?

I was just trying to say that most Disney villains have incredibly simple and easy-to-understand motivations. Usually lust for power. Frollo is introspective and conflicted and that was a welcome change, it's just a shame that the movie around him isn't as good.

My personal favorite Disney villain is ShanYu. I love his look, how competent he is, and that he's voiced by Miguel Ferrer, but he doesn't have a song, so...

Taramoor on
  • Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    This thread doesn't have a coloured title like the last one

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Oakey wrote: »
    This thread doesn't have a coloured title like the last one

@Astaereth‌ needs to put just the word "movies" in parentheticals

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »

I was just trying to say that most Disney villains have incredibly simple and easy-to-understand motivations. Usually lust for power. Frollo is introspective and conflicted and that was a welcome change, it's just a shame that the movie around him isn't as good.

My personal favorite Disney villain is ShanYu. I love his look, how competent he is, and that he's voiced by Miguel Ferrer, but he doesn't have a song, so...

I read somewhere, ages ago, that Shan Yu is the only Disney Villian that didn't have a comedic part (at the time).

Not sure how true that is though.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

I read somewhere, ages ago, that Shan Yu is the only Disney Villian that didn't have a comedic part (at the time).

Not sure how true that is though.

Off the top of my head, I don't recall Maleficent having any comedic scenes.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    You know the editor was a woman.

No man would have included a nutkick sequence in their montage. Evening ruined.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2015

Just about every guy I know thinks guys being hit in the nuts is hilarious. With the exception of that one shot from Mallrats

Taramoor on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

Just about every guy I know thinks guys being hit in the nuts is hilarious. With the exception of that one shot from Mallrats

D:

Nooooooo

It's not funny. I get sympathy pains from it. I can feel it in the pit of my stomach.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015

Yeah, But "I'll Make a Man out of You" makes up for that.

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I know its crazy, but I just for the first time saw Kung Fu Panda 2 with the kids this afternoon. They've seen it a million times.

Its... actually quite good. I really like the villain, especially my opinion of him transforming from snickering at the idea of a peacock being evil to actually believing it. The ending was much, much better than the first one.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »

Y'all have shattered my lofty ambitions for the thread in less than three pages. Bravo.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Sooo, movies.

I read an article yesterday and The Witch is being courted by several companies. Apparently it is very good.

Which really makes me scratch my head when they said online/digital/DVD release. Sounds like its better than anything else released in theaters lately.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Did you guys know that come the Summer, there will have been more Fast & Furious movies than Star Wars movies?

And compared to Star Wars F&F has had five of them be good (yes, just gonna say 7 will be at the very least enjoyable)!

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I Liked Imitation Game.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Did you guys know that come the Summer, there will have been more Fast & Furious movies than Star Wars movies?

And compared to Star Wars F&F has had five of them be good (yes, just gonna say 7 will be at the very least enjoyable)!

F&F has 4 good ones. The first two and Tokyo Drift are all fairly garbage.

After that, though, they've been a really good over-the-top action series that actually has a sort-of progression.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Y'all have shattered my lofty ambitions for the thread in less than three pages. Bravo.

Top three peeing scenes of all time, go.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    I actually don't have a top three, but the peeing scene in the first Austin Powers was actually pretty great.

That whole movie was pretty great. Shame about the sequels.

• Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Top three farting scenes of all time, go.

Blazing Saddles, Major Payne, and Master of Disguise.

• Options
    I like the first one. It's got dumb things but like the best in the franchise it accepts the stupid and I actually liked everyone, it's probably the only time Jordanna Brewster seemed believable in any role, Diesel wasn't a big name and Ja Rule was the clear better rapper turned driver.

2 Fast was terrible outside of the opening race, and even then the japanese girl was terrible.

Tokyo Drift was terrible acting outside of Han coupled with competent car scenes and a nice style to the film, and I guess at the very least would fall into the so bad it's good category.

Fast 4 was dumb and stupid in the bad way because it thought it was too cool and really brought about the Vin Diesel mumbling mushmouth but wasn't played as a joke.

Then 5 and 6 were great. And 7 has Transporter and the Rock and Kurt Russell in the mix and a not sucky trailer, it's pretty much at the 10 yard line already.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited January 2015

Top three peeing scenes of all time, go.

American Pie 2
    Labyrinth
    Bachelor Party

Honorable mention to Tommy Boy

Atomika on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    Whiplash. Movie of the year. Damn that was a fun ride.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I keep rewatching the fart scene from Major Payne over and over. The kid just sells it.

Thanks Jeffe.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    I like the first one. It's got dumb things but like the best in the franchise it accepts the stupid and I actually liked everyone, it's probably the only time Jordanna Brewster seemed believable in any role, Diesel wasn't a big name and Ja Rule was the clear better rapper turned driver.

2 Fast was terrible outside of the opening race, and even then the japanese girl was terrible.

Tokyo Drift was terrible acting outside of Han coupled with competent car scenes and a nice style to the film, and I guess at the very least would fall into the so bad it's good category.

Fast 4 was dumb and stupid in the bad way because it thought it was too cool and really brought about the Vin Diesel mumbling mushmouth but wasn't played as a joke.

Then 5 and 6 were great. And 7 has Transporter and the Rock and Kurt Russell in the mix and a not sucky trailer, it's pretty much at the 10 yard line already.

Fair enough.

I thought 4 was good. I mean, there was an Fast and Furious marathon on one of the cable stations a bit back and I watched the whole thing. It's got an interesting continuity, and if you look at it from a certain perspective it's almost like the movies matured with the audiences. You could make the argument that the first ones were during the main characters young and dumb phases. I mean, you could, but they're still pretty silly.

Either way, good movies. Unexpected, but good.

• Options

Top three farting scenes of all time, go.

Blazing Saddles, Major Payne, and Master of Disguise.

Tunderpants

It should have at least one good one due to sheer volume.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    What about the peeing fountain scene from The Money Pit?

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Y'all have no appreciation for the dramatic power of urinating in The Green Mile

Bobble on
  • Options
    Bobble wrote: »
    Y'all have no appreciation for the dramatic power of urinating in The Green Mile

Tom Hanks pees in almost every single movie he's in.

This discussion has been closed.