As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Banksy And Steve Jobs, Together Again

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    So basically, "I'm worried that if they have a younger man, he'll get to do all the fun action sequences instead of me. That's why they should hire another woman, because women can't be action stars."

I don't really like engaging the feminism button on the internet, but that one is a little too obvious, Capaldi.

CALLED IT.

Are you calling me a Tumblr?

Pistols at dawn.

I'm not calling Capaldi a misogynist. That thing he said certainly comes from a place of unequal expectations based on gender, whether those expectations are his own, or just his fear about the writing staff, is uncertain, but unimportant. There's plenty of historical precedent to back his statement, sure, but c'mon.

Yes but I still can't dredge up outrage over it. With so many more egregious examples going about I can look past an older man making an off the cuff jokey comment that unfortunately makes light of an ongoing social issue in the tamest possible way.

You don't have to get outraged. In fact, that's dumb.

The best thing to do in these situations is to acknowledge it as a thing and move on. Simply keeping aware that it exists is good enough, because over time, as we as a society note these minor things, we slowly break the antiquated ideas they formed from.

So, Xmas Special? Are we going to see a return of River proper? Is Capaldi actually the "much older" Doctor alluded to way back in the Library?

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    In this particular case I don't think it's a thing, so there's nothing to acknowledge.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I don't have to acknowledge it as a thing because it's only a thing because people on here have said it's a thing.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    No, it's a thing because of the words he used and the order in which he used them.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    No, it's a thing because of the words he used and the order in which he used them.

Except those other people disagree with you.

This is silly and I doubt anyone thinks Capaldi is intentionally suggesting anything sexist.

I'm still disappointed we didn't get the Valeyard though. We were so close!

• Options
    If they ever bring the Valeyard back it will be a sign the show is at the end of its second life and should be put to sleep again.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    If they ever bring the Valeyard back it will be a sign the show is at the end of its second life and should be put to sleep again.

C'mon evil Doctor is awesome. This episode might have been way better if Clara wasn't in it. I want to see the Doctor do crazy Time Lord shit and fight Omega and crazy aliens in space. Capaldi especially is so good at playing the dark Doctor I'd love a few more episodes of the Doctor going off the rails and fucking up Gallifrey. Hell maybe he goes "Well I can't do that, obviously. But screw those guys so lets see what I can do without destroying the universe" and then goes to plague them for a bit.
    Or have the Dream Lord come back, that was also very cool.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »

Except those other people disagree with you.

This is silly and I doubt anyone thinks Capaldi is intentionally suggesting anything sexist.

I'm still disappointed we didn't get the Valeyard though. We were so close!

It doesn't have to be intentional to be sexist. He wants a lady because he thinks that they won't write a lady to do the man things he likes doing. He's afraid that if they bring in a man to be a companion that he won't get action scenes but a lady is safe. I don't think he's accidentally saying "I'm a sexist - men are the best!" I think he's admitting that, in this instance, sexism will let him keep doing action scenes if they give him another female companion.

And that stinks. Ladies can do action things. Men can do not-action things.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    They don't need the Valyard to have the Doctor be awesome and fucking shit up.
    "Get off my planet"

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

I mean it depends how they do it?

they have mentioned the Valeyard i think once in the new show

it's not impossible they could introduce it in a way that is fun and makes sense to new viewers

• Options
    Entaru wrote: »
    They don't need the Valyard to have the Doctor be awesome and fucking shit up.
    "Get off my planet"

Honestly if at some point they called him the Valeyard during that, that would have been fine. Remember with 11 ran around for like 200 year on adventures by himself? Just do that again. Give me some more of the awesome stuff they had this episode
    "Drop your weapons!" *Lays down spoon*
    and have him run off to fuck shit up for a few years before his companions or whoever intercept him to pull him out of evil mode. Tons of ways to do it without being crazy and overblown. The times the Doctor has gone dark have been some of the most memorable and interesting moments.

• Options
    Frankly I'm with the people who think evil Carpaldi is the way to go. He is probably the best possible man for the job.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    While I do love a good angry/dark Doctor as much as the next chap, I think it would be a mistake to go on too long in dark phases. I mean, sure there are always injustices the Doctor can find in all space and time to rage and fight against, but also remember that the dark Doctor is in many ways a selfish one. What makes the dark Doctor good is that it adds some layers to the character, that he can't be the paragon of helping the weak all the time and that somethings do affect him. However, in the end, he *has* to go back to being the paragon, otherwise he just wouldn't be the Doctor.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Speaking of evil Time Lords...
    Wonder how Rassilon got to hang on to his presidency after the whole 'destroy everything everywhere' plan failed. Maybe after he regenerated into Sumpter he realised how batshit that was and convinced everyone else it was a prank.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I would like to propose that Sleep No More is one of the best horror episodes they've done in New Who so far.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Trace wrote: »
    I would like to propose that Sleep No More is one of the best horror episodes they've done in New Who so far.

Disagree, It was so dumb it thoroughly prevented me from suspending my disbelief.

Casual on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    It was so close to great, but the need to have family friendly rubber monsters killed it.
    Clearly the proper way to do things is to have the Morpheus machine's meddling turn you into a murderous psychopath rather than growing one from your eyes. But it's pretty obvious why they didn't go down that route.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Yeah,
    they obviously are planning on doing another episode with them (or else that ending was like, the dumbest addition ever), and I hope they do better next time. It might retroactively make this better.

• Options
    Delmain wrote: »
    Yeah,
    they obviously are planning on doing another episode with them (or else that ending was like, the dumbest addition ever), and I hope they do better next time. It might retroactively make this better.

No. They can't save it, the entire concept is pants on head and there is no amount of talented writing in the world that can salvage it.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    It was so close to great, but the need to have family friendly rubber monsters killed it.
    Clearly the proper way to do things is to have the Morpheus machine's meddling turn you into a murderous psychopath rather than growing one from your eyes. But it's pretty obvious why they didn't go down that route.

Would that have been any scarier than
    Are you my mommy?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Yeah,

No. They can't save it, the entire concept is pants on head and there is no amount of talented writing in the world that can salvage it.

I though the flying
    diner was a nod to the bistromatics of douglas addams fame

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yeah,

I though the flying

Believe they mean Sleep No More's cliffhanger! Had no resolution

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Yeah,

I though the flying
    It's the space restaurant The Doctor spoke of in Sleep No More :P

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Man -what-

A.) The ending to Sleep No More was creepy as all hell.

B.) Organic nano-machines, suspension of belief reacctivated

C.) As a concept it's not any more silly than the Vashta Nerada

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Nanomachines (SON) explain everything 'magical' in Doctor Who, even if/when they're not explicitly stated to be the cause or effect of something.

Like the TARDIS's 3D (manufacturing-anything-you-can-imagine) fibre-optic 'tree'.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    If James Corden didn't have a late night talk show I would be heavily advocating for Dr. Who Presents: The Search for Thunderlord.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Mark Gatiss writes bad Doctor Who episodes.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Your mum is .0001% responsible for half the bad shit on TV now.
    @Trace Yup. Different tastes etc. :)

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Coinage wrote: »
    Mark Gatiss writes bad Doctor Who episodes.

Iirc hes apparently the top contender to replace moffat so better get used to him

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Robot of Sherwood was good fun.

• Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Mark Gatiss just isn't very good...
    Even his Sherlock episodes tend to be the worse ones.

Robot of Sherwood was fine, I wouldn't ever watch it again though.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    His first, "The Unquiet Dead", was the third episode of the revived series in 2005; the second, "The Idiot's Lantern", aired the following year in the second series.[34] Although he acted in the third series and proposed an ultimately unproduced episode for the fourth, involving Nazis and the British Museum, it took until 2010 for Gatiss to return as writer. He wrote "Victory of the Daleks" for that year's fifth series and went on to contribute "Night Terrors" for series 6, "Cold War" and "The Crimson Horror" for series 7[35] and "Robot of Sherwood" for series 8. He also wrote "Sleep No More" for series 9.

Some of those episodes are quite good! Gatiss is fine.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    The Unquiet Dead was an excellent episode. Victory of the Daleks was pretty good, as was Cold War. Robot of Sherwood wsa great until the dumb bit with the arrow but I don't care about that as much as some. The Crimson Horror was perfectly acceptable fare.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    The Crimson Horror was good. It carries a special place in my heart as the moment I was introduced to Diana Rigg. Which I think just makes me uncultured, given her career. But Mrs. Gillyflower was a pretty amazing villain.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Robot of Sherwood was worth watching just for the conversations between the Doctor and Robin Hood.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    It's my daughter's school's Christmas play next week. I've just heard that it involves both Dr Who and Frozen. I'll be intrigued to see if l'il Baby Jee gets a look in anywhere.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    It's my daughter's school's Christmas play next week. I've just heard that it involves both Dr Who and Frozen. I'll be intrigued to see if l'il Baby Jee gets a look in anywhere.

" And I thought the Rani was an Ice queen"

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    It feels like the entire episode was a layup
    for a Clara/Ashildr spinoff, traveling the universe in a goddamn restaurant

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deFhs_rRl4s

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Buttcleft wrote: »

I'd be alright with it.

Trace on
This discussion has been closed.