As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Banksy And Steve Jobs, Together Again

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    The Unquiet Dead was an excellent episode. Victory of the Daleks was pretty good, as was Cold War. Robot of Sherwood wsa great until the dumb bit with the arrow but I don't care about that as much as some. The Crimson Horror was perfectly acceptable fare.

The arrow works because it's so absurd nobody will believe it happened which is playing on the whole Robin hood real/legend theme

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    The thing with the arrow didn't make sense within the episode itself, though. An impossibly long distance/difficult shot with an arrow is fine, that's expected Robin Hood stuff, but they could easily have said there was something on the ship they needed to hit, a small thermal exhaust port or something.
    But they made it sound like throwing a can of oil at a car would add fuel to it.

In other news, this guy does an incredible 10th Doctor impression:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoeO782AaJA

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    What did people here think of "The Witch's Familiar" when it aired? Perhaps it's because I haven't seen any of the other Davros episodes, but I felt like those conversations between the Doctor and Davros went on forever. I liked the first of the two-parter well enough, but by the end of the second part my impression was very much that they had enough material for an hour, all in all, but not for 2x45 minutes. Or do those conversations resonate more with long-time fans? (The Missy/Clara bits were better, but they too overstayed their welcome - IMO a little Missy goes a long way, same as with Moffat's Moriarty.)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    The thing with the arrow didn't make sense within the episode itself, though. An impossibly long distance/difficult shot with an arrow is fine, that's expected Robin Hood stuff, but they could easily have said there was something on the ship they needed to hit, a small thermal exhaust port or something.
    But they made it sound like throwing a can of oil at a car would add fuel to it.

I know I read somewhere that it was a communication error with the CGI guy, but I can't for the life of me find it again.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    What did people here think of "The Witch's Familiar" when it aired? Perhaps it's because I haven't seen any of the other Davros episodes, but I felt like those conversations between the Doctor and Davros went on forever. I liked the first of the two-parter well enough, but by the end of the second part my impression was very much that they had enough material for an hour, all in all, but not for 2x45 minutes. Or do those conversations resonate more with long-time fans? (The Missy/Clara bits were better, but they too overstayed their welcome - IMO a little Missy goes a long way, same as with Moffat's Moriarty.)
    I liked it. I thought they had a great dynamic going on, (a deceptive) nemesis versus protagonist.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    So anyone have a flowchart handy for River's and the Doctor's timeline?
    So that's the last night, then she goes off to the library?

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    So how much River was in this Christmas episode? As someone who loathes the character, who instinctively goes "bleagh" whenever the character shows up on screen and whose eyes roll out of his skull whenever she opens her mouth to speak, how much will I hate this episode?

Should I just skip it entirely is what i'm asking.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I thought River was holding the proverbial idiot ball throughout the majority of the episode. At first I concluded that this must be very early days River, since the Doctor was virtually screaming out who he was. But nope, it's Library - 1 River who knows the whole plot so far. Once she finally got a clue... it was basically bog standard River. I've never had a problem with her personally, but I can see why people might be tired of the schtick now.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I dunno, she was a little non-usual River at bits. But if you HATE her you'll probably not get to those.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Reading up on it I think even if I didn't hate her and instead simply didn't care about her i'd probably not get much out of it, since it seems to be a story about her instead of a story she shows up in. I'll just skip.

Really now that I think on it any story she shows up in she makes into a story about herself so I dunno why i'd expect something different.

Aistan on
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    So anyone have a flowchart handy for River's and the Doctor's timeline?
    So that's the last night, then she goes off to the library?

There's this one from the Radio Times:

Spoiler'd for size:
    tumblr_nzy2w24WxN1qijoeyo1_1280.jpg
    1. A Good Man Goes to War (2011) – Melody Pond is born
    2. The Impossible Astronaut (2011) – young Melody is raised in an orphanage
    3. Day of the Moon (2011) – Melody regenerates into Mels
    4. Let's Kill Hitler (2011) – Mels regenerates into River
    5. Closing Time (2011) – River gets her doctorate, is kidnapped by the Silence
    6. The Wedding of River Song/The Impossible Astronaut (2011)– River breaks time, marries the Doctor and then helps heal it for the events of The Impossible Astronaut
    7. First Night (minisode, 2011) – River is incarcerated for the murder of the Doctor, but goes on her first evening trip with him
    8. Last Night (minisode, 2011) – a version of Ricer from five years in the future interacts with her younger self
    9. A Good Man Goes to War (2011)
    10. The Impossible Astronaut (2011)
    11. Day of the Moon (2011)
    12. The Pandorica Opens (2010)
    13. The Big Bang (2010) – River helps the Doctor save the universe
    14. Time of the Angels (2010)
    15. Flesh and Stone (2010)
    16. Wedding of River Song (2011) – River visits her parents Amy and Rory in their garden
    17. Last Night (minisode, 2011) – an older version of River is heading to the towers of Darillium with the Doctor, but he apparently later backs out
    18. The Angels Take Manhattan (2012) – River sees her parents trapped in the past
    19. The Husbands of River Song (2015) – River teams up with the Twelfth Doctor but doesn’t recognise him
    20. Silence in the Library (2008) – River meets the Tenth Doctor, who hasn’t met her yet
    21. Forest of the Dead (2008) – River dies, but the Tenth Doctor “saves” her as a data ghost
    22. The Name of the Doctor (2013) – River’s data ghost finally says goodbye to the Eleventh Doctor

Igort on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Rad and I are on the finale of the first season with Capaldi.

Clara is not to be trifled with.

Quid on
  • Options
    WAIT WHAT

WHAT

I DON'T

WHAT

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    WAIT WHAT

WHAT

I DON'T

WHAT

What is this in reference to?

Because it could actually be a few things.

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    WAIT WHAT

WHAT

I DON'T

WHAT

What is this in reference to?

Because it could actually be a few things.

The Doctor's girlfriend.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    NEWS!

Moffat quits! Replaced by Chris Chibnall! No Series in 2016! Xmas Special Only!

Pffffffffffffffff

Not all great, huh.

So Moffat is sticking around to do Series 10, which will air in Spring 2017. Chibnall will take over for Series 11 in 2018. Naturally the rumours of Capaldi leaving have started too, but it seems like he'll be here for Series 10 at least, and probably regenerate for a clean slate with Chibnall's tenure like Smiff did with Moffat.

Can't say I'm too enthused about Chibnall being the new showrunner. I don't think I've liked any of his episodes. :<

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Losing Moffat is a big deal. I hope it works out like the doctors. A bit of sadness for what we are losing replaced by someone who bring us awesomeness in a new way.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Looking through his episodes, I'm finding a lot of "this is a pretty decent/okay episode. Not exceptional, but not crap, either." Standouts I'd say are Power of Three and Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.

It's weird that they chose someone who hasn't written an episode since 2012, though.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I absolutely loathed Power of Three. But maybe, unlike Moffat, he won't feel compelled to write a significant chunk of the season and it will work out.

• Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    I absolutely loathed Power of Three. But maybe, unlike Moffat, he won't feel compelled to write a significant chunk of the season and it will work out.

Eh? Moffat usually only writes like four eps a season. Way less than, say, Russell T Davies.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Igort wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »

Eh? Moffat usually only writes like four eps a season. Way less than, say, Russell T Davies.

Moffat generally wrote as many episodes as Davies, in the 5+ range depending on how much work he might have done on his co-written ones, which could put him at more than Davies (Moffat was typically at 5, and around 2 co-written in addition), who wrote 6 per series.

So, you know, as many, or more, than Davies with the exception being the first series, which is kind of a special case. They both worked heavily on specials.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Davies also did extensive re-writes on episodes he isn't credited for.

If you're interested at all in the writing side of things, check out The Writer's Tale. It's a collection of correspondence Davies had with other people involved during his tenure on the show, and I found it completely fascinating.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Mofatt wrote one of the best, if not the best episodes of the newer series (Heaven Sent) and more or less nailed the 50th and all in all I think he's had more hits than misses, though as I said before the show overall is really a mixed bag so it's hard to say. It's not too likely the new guy will do better, but I may be wrong!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Well, is he also done writing for the show? If not, we've probably got more gold to look forward to.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I was going to say something like "I wonder what kind of blackmail Chris Chibnall has on the BBC" but actually, I think that maybe that's the point. There've been rumors (in the rags, of course, but who knows?) of Moffat clashing with the network for years, and certainly many of his series arcs seem to kind of veer off in weird directions or are dropped without explanation only to be wrapped up hastily much later with an offhand line. I'm sure in some cases those things were intentional (for whatever reason) and in other cases they were due to production realities, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that management had something to do with it.,

It makes me wonder if Chibnall, whose resume includes a string of forgettable episodes of okay TV shows and a stint as head writer of Torchwood, was picked precisely because he's not some kind of marquee talent with a bunch of well-regarded shows under his belt (as Moffat and Davies both were) but is someone who will presumably do as he's told.

Or maybe everyone just really likes tapioca TV I dunno

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Chibnall is also the show runner for Broadchurch, which is huge.

• Options
    Broadchurch had a fantastic first series and a dismal second one. Was Chibnall still in charge of S2?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Chibnall is also the show runner for Broadchurch, which is huge.

Ohhhh, that's right. Hrm.

• Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    Broadchurch had a fantastic first series and a dismal second one. Was Chibnall still in charge of S2?

S2 was terrible until you get into the second half of it. The second half of it is brilliant. I remember being ready to end my run through it after episode 3, and I was glad I stuck it out.

That being said, in no way do I feel Broadchurch is something on his resume that indicates in any way that he's good/bad for Doctor Who.

• Options
    I do think that there are general things such as structure, plotting and characterisation the translate from one genre to another, and I thought that Broadchurch S2 pretty much failed on all of these throughout. I also suspect that he'd been quite happy to leave it at one series, and the first one was great, so I blame him less than the people at the top, and I hope what I consider to be major flaws in S2 aren't too indicative of his skills.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Chibnail's a boring, safe choice for all the reasons stated. He's a company man who has done good work and knows the product. It'll be fine.

Its probably not a bad choice for Who where it is right now. Moffat is an experimental writer who is extremely hit or miss with the fanbase (I like him but recognize his flaws and tics) who was a vast shift from the general audience friendly former showrunner (liked him while recognizing his flaws and tics).

Bringing in a safe bet who will produce a more conventional series isn't a bad choice for a series with strong populist roots. It's a good time for Who to spend a few seasons on scary monsters stories for children and grown-ups.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Wait so the seasons I've paid for are all still good right?

Because if not I'm gonna be pissed

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

Because if not I'm gonna be pissed
    In an apocalyptic twist for Whovians everywhere, particularly those that, say, run a Doctor Who podcast, it appears that all of the Doctor’s adventures have effectively been pulled from streaming services.

To be fair, a lot has been going on behind the scenes of the cherished property. Amazon was the first to experience Who-related exclusivity problems this past year. Also in 2015, Netflix extended contracts for Doctor Who and Luther, among many other BBC properties, bringing them to legions of American fans. Then, late last week, the BBC suddenly announced that it was pulling Who from all streaming services, including Netflix and Hulu.

Trace on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

When you say you've paid for the seasons already do you mean on iTunes or something? They're still on iTunes, I think.

Are there extra charges for Doctor Who on Netflix or Hulu?

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

When you say you've paid for the seasons already do you mean on iTunes or something? They're still on iTunes, I think.

Are there extra charges for Doctor Who on Netflix or Hulu?

Dunno about Hulu; I didn't even know Doctor Who was on Hulu, but there was no extra fee for netflix, no.

I'm guessing he's assuming it was pulled from all streaming services, because the article incorrectly implies that. It was just pulled from buffet style services like Hulu and Netflix. If you bought episodes outright from a service, you still have them (at least, given that Amazon still lets me watch the past 4 seasons or so I've bought, I'm guessing that's the case).

I would be surprised if the BBC kept the shows off netflix and such for long. I imagine they're just posturing for a better deal, as I'm guessing they're highly watched.

Or maybe BBC America is gonna announce some sort of subscription service of their own? I have no idea. I wouldn't mind that, however. I doubt I'll ever get cable again, but if I could get individual channels, even if just via the web, I'd be 100% on board with that.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    It's still up for sale on Amazon streaming too.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    The fabled BBC America iPlayer.

My money is still on the table BBC. Come take it.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    We are in a bad valley where everyone has realized the value of streaming and wants their cut. We went through the Netflix shakedown periodn, now we are at the point where everyone tries their own service. When those fail bc that's not how the public wants to consume media, we might get back to sanity and widely licensed programs.

This discussion has been closed.