As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Banksy And Steve Jobs, Together Again

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    So the first episodes of Class are out. Episode one is pretty damn good. Great cast, likeable actors, sharp script, nice performances. Would recommend.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    So the first episodes of Class are out. Episode one is pretty damn good. Great cast, likeable actors, sharp script, nice performances. Would recommend.

Too bad America has to wait until next year.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Does Peter Capaldi make regular appearances/cameos or is it just a few episodes?

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Too bad America has to wait until next year.

Really? Canada doesn't. I have the first 2 episodes waiting for me on my PVR.

Yay for still having the Queen on our money!

• Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Does Peter Capaldi make regular appearances/cameos or is it just a few episodes?

Dunno. Only two episodes in so far.
    He makes an important but short appearance in the first episode, helping set up the premise, and then exits stage left.

• Options
    Third episode was kind of rubbish, with one of those hey let's stop running so I can give you my backstory moments that land with all the grace of an anvil.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular

Dunno. Only two episodes in so far.
    He makes an important but short appearance in the first episode, helping set up the premise, and then exits stage left.
    Ah, see I only really watched the SJA eps that had the Doctor in, I'm thinking that 'Class' will go the same way for me.
    I liked bits of the first episode though.
    "WE ARE DECORATING!" :lol:

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Yeah, Matt Lucas was also in last year's Xmas special.
    also he kidnapped Abed at the Dr Spacetime convention.

And hes going to be a regular companion alongside Bill.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Ok, so we lost BBC America awhile ago and I basically missed everything after the first Capaldi season. Which is why it was nice of then to air a marathon leading up to the Christmas episode this year (we just got it back a month or two ago). So um, how did I only miss one season? Did they really not have a season in 2016?

Also I hate Aria Stark and she is a jerk who should stay in Game of Thrones :P I did like that they finally acknowledged Capaldi had played a character on the show before tho :)

Also this year's Christmas special was much better than it looked from the previews :)

Edit: Ah, going back through the thread... Now I see why there was no 2016 season... Still weird for Moffat to agree to do the next season after taking basically a year off

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Ok, so we lost BBC America awhile ago and I basically missed everything after the first Capaldi season. Which is why it was nice of then to air a marathon leading up to the Christmas episode this year (we just got it back a month or two ago). So um, how did I only miss one season? Did they really not have a season in 2016?

Yeah, the only on-screen Doctor Who this year was the Christmas special and the spin-off Class.

• Options
    Also best part of this year's Christmas episode:
    "Wow this place is pretty empty for the middle of the day."
    "Yeah, I released a bunch of Pokemon in the lobby."

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Class was fantastic, I definitely need a season 2.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Matt Lucas a lot, but Moffat's dialogue has reached a new level of self-congratulatory wankiness, and I say this as someone who considers Matt Smith's first season some of the best Dr Who I've watched.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Bethryn wrote: »
    I enjoyed Matt Lucas a lot, but Moffat's dialogue has reached a new level of self-congratulatory wankiness, and I say this as someone who considers Matt Smith's first season some of the best Dr Who I've watched.

Moffatt's been on a downward spiral he never recovered from since season 6. The Class show runner should be getting a shot at taking over once he leaves, not the Torchwood guy.

• Options
    I've honestly never liked Moffat that much anyways (he was occasionally pretty good but also had a lot of bad episodes). We'll see how this new guy does I guess.

Same with this new companion. I will reserve judgment but previews make me a little nervous. That said, bald guy seems to also be back in at least a few episodes and he was pretty great in the last two Christmas specials

• Options
    Last season of Who was terrific and contained the best episode of New Who yet made. Moffat offers plenty of grounds for criticism, but it's not like every season has been worse than the one before.

Class was mediocre.

• Options
    Last season of Who was terrific and contained the best episode of New Who yet made. Moffat offers plenty of grounds for criticism, but it's not like every season has been worse than the one before.

The quality has gone up and down, and never regained its peak from season 5.
    Class was mediocre.

Nah.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Finally got to see the episode. I like it! I was very sceptical about a superhero based episode, but it worked and it was funny.
    "I was gone for a while, but I'm back now."
    So THAT'S what happened to 2016!

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Honestly I hated season 5. It made me want to hate Matt Smith at first until they started doing good episodes and I realized, no, Smith is great, it's the writing that was bad.

The impression I got from season 5 was "We are in HD now so OMG WE NEED ALL THE COLORS AND SET PIECES TO SHOW OFF THIS NEW TECHNOLOGY!!!" The first episode is like looking at Oz when that movie turns to color and everything is in the boldest, most saturated colors possible. It's so jarring and weird. Add to this all the new cast and show direction and it's just this huge left field turn. Then you also had dumb episodes about space whales and fish vampires and such. It finally got better near the end at least. ("The Lodger" is still one of my favorites)

Season 6 was great tho (mostly, could have done without the dumb space minotaur)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Space minotaur gave us the best not! companion with Rita. Who needs to come back.

• Options
    Space minotaur gave us the best not! companion with Rita. Who needs to come back.

Was she the Muslim doctor? Didn't she die? (I think almost everyone did...)

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I got season one and seven for Christmas. The thing with the leaf killing the space god in Akatan was dumb.

I guess because it came from Impossible Girl it made it more powerful.

Krathoon on
  • Options

Yeah, but this is Doctor Who.

• Options

Yeah, but this is Doctor Who.

Yeah, where bringing back dead people always seems to backfire horribly :P Also she honestly didn't seem that great to me, but *shrug*

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Couldn't stop laughing that the superhero was Goku from Dragonball: Evolution.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

oh geeze

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

why do you know that? why would anyone know that?

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Wikipedia'd the episode to look up the companion dude's name, clicked the hero's actor's name and lo and behold.

• Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »

this is true.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I watched Dragonball: Evolution.

I even enjoyed watching it a little.

There, I said it.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Cyvros wrote: »
    I watched Dragonball: Evolution.

I even enjoyed watching it a little.

There, I said it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYAIEtS_DQw
    awww yess

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Also best part of this year's Christmas episode:
    "Wow this place is pretty empty for the middle of the day."
    "Yeah, I released a bunch of Pokemon in the lobby."

My favourite bit was
    When he realizes it's been twenty-four years and looks distressed.
    "Are you ok?"
    "I'm always ok."
    Nice callback to the Library.

sig.gif
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I like when humans find alien tech and dont become disfigured pig mutants or slates of concrete so this episode started at 5 for me already.

The superhero stuff was cute.
    I really felt for the kid because he knew deep down yeah his powers would ultimately cause problems for the real world and then finally snapping after 24 years of trying to be good and nothing going his way

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Eh
    His powers didn't create any problems, they just solved them. It's going to be one of those timey wimey things when he never shows up again. And pretty sure he was super heroing before now; enough time for rumors to spread. Though only rumors when he does TV interviews on the spot suggests it is fairly recent, I guess.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Good silly fun. What we want from a Christmas episode. Though the Doctor seemed very impressed by a plan that was a pretty much a cut/paste with raised stakes from the Slitheen all the way back when nu-Who began.

I won't say I'm filled with excitement for Bill and George Daws but I have faith.

Last series bought us 'Heaven Sent' which was utterly fabulous so I'm always a happy camper.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Yeah. The Christmas episode was a little too silly for my taste.
    I guess the crystal he swallowed had reality warping properties? Kinda leaning towards magic this time around.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Timey Wimey. It's been magic all the time.

• Options
    I kind of wish it was more science fiction like Old Who.

But, maybe I am looking at it through rose colored glasses.

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I kind of wish it was more science fiction like Old Who.

But, maybe I am looking at it through rose colored glasses.

I guess it'd depend on the era. Early '80s tried to go towards harder SF, though it didn't quite hit the mark. But then late '70s sometimes felt kind of 'Lasers and aliens make this SF enough, right?'

Semi-separately, though, I really miss the pure historicals of the '60s. Or even just stories like The Enemy of the World and The Leisure Hive where it's more the Doctor & co getting caught up in events already in motion and there isn't necessarily a 'monster of the week' threat (The Leisure Hive even having a nice bit of an inversion of that).

Series 9 was doing some less bog standard monster of the week stuff. I hope it continues in series 10 and beyond.

This discussion has been closed.