As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Banksy And Steve Jobs, Together Again

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I kind of wish it was more science fiction like Old Who.

But, maybe I am looking at it through rose colored glasses.

Rose colored glasses. Old Who had episodes that discarded the science fiction elements almost entirely at certain points for some episodes (I'm specifically think of a couple of Tom Baker episodes) and could be just as fantastical as New Who can be. Doctor Who isn't about at the level of Star Wars when it comes to the actual science of things.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Good silly fun. What we want from a Christmas episode. Though the Doctor seemed very impressed by a plan that was a pretty much a cut/paste with raised stakes from the Slitheen all the way back when nu-Who began.

I won't say I'm filled with excitement for Bill and George Daws but I have faith.

Last series bought us 'Heaven Sent' which was utterly fabulous so I'm always a happy camper.

I always thought it was George Doors...

Musta been mishearing it as a kid.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Yeah, you just beat me to it.
    :(

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    :(

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I still can't not call him The Hurt Doctor

But yeah. :(

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Day Of The Doctor was a fantastic episode, and John Hurt was a big part of making it so good. He'll always be the first unlucky fellow to be chestbursted to me, but his Doctor was a contender <3

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    It's crossing genres a bit, but it's worth noting that there was a big HP Celebration this week and when news of John Hurt's death broke, hundreds of Harry Potter fans gathered outside Mr. Ollivander's shop in Diagon Alley at Harry Potter world and raised their wands in salute.

Godspeed, War Doctor.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    Peter Capaldi to leave Doctor Who after this series.

:( Bummed out by this, as he's the best Doctor in new Who to me. Was hoping for at least another year. Doctor's don't seem to stick around anymore! (or maybe I'm just getting older...)

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Three years and out is about par for a Doctor.

Very sorry to see him go, as he's been fantastic in the role after an iffy start.

• Options
    Ah.

Crap.

Maybe.

I dunno they found Tennant and Matt Smith. They were absolutely spectacular even if all of their stories were not.

Holding out hope for Hugh Laurie or Stephen Fry.

• Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Three years and out is about par for a Doctor.

True, I'd just like to see another 7 year run. Especially from someone so awesome at it as Capaldi.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Dang. Capaldi has grown on me, as they always do. By the end of their runs they're all the best. ;P

My only hope for his ending is
    that they don't drag it out with an epic prophecy or anything, that he gets killed out of nowhere on a milk run like Danny or Clara.

Also that they don't wrangle a "no regenerations" out of it either. Could see that being a real possibility - it'd conveniently explain why he couldn't regenerate in Heaven Sent, and would make a certain amount of sense, Rassilon would want him on a leash, and a very limited set of lives would be a good one.

But it'd feel very repetitive, and contrary to Twelve's place as the start of a whole new Doctor.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Lezta wrote: »
    Peter Capaldi to leave Doctor Who after this series.

:( Bummed out by this, as he's the best Doctor in new Who to me. Was hoping for at least another year. Doctor's don't seem to stick around anymore! (or maybe I'm just getting older...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

Why so soon? He was abrilliant doctor. Amazing! He brought so much to the role!

• Options
    I don't think Fry would be right for the role. Laurie, sure, but incredibly unlikely. I'm sure lots of folks would turn in a great Doctor, but they need to be relatively cheap, able to drop almost all other work for several years and be up for being identified as the Doctor for the rest of their life.

Susan Calman is already demanding consideration.

• Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I don't think Fry would be right for the role. Laurie, sure, but incredibly unlikely. I'm sure lots of folks would turn in a great Doctor, but they need to be relatively cheap, able to drop almost all other work for several years and be up for being identified as the Doctor for the rest of their life.

Mentally fudging the name, I pictured Olivia Colman.

Though she works too.

Kneel on
    Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options

Fry would be excellent, they don't even need to really change the physicality of the Doctor for him considering how little purely physical work he's done these last few seasons.

And there are not many people who can deliver cutting witticisms like Stephen Fry.

and this is purely an aside but I think having a gay man as the Doctor would go alot towards opening the role up to less traditional portrayals of the Doctor. like a lady Doctor for one.

which is not to say I wouldn't be alright with a lady Doctor but if they go that route they need to have Missy be the Doctor for at least one season.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Well I for one am ready to complain on the internet when it's not Tilda Swinton or Judi Dench because I don't understand how money works

Coinage on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    I have said this every time and I will KEEP saying it until it happens.

Chiwetel Ejifor.

Yes you do know him and he's fucking brilliant.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I'll be honest and say I'm not a huge fan of Capaldi's Doctor. It's not his fault, mind you, it's the way they've written him. He mostly comes off as a jackass a lot of the time. It's a shame because when he is given good stuff, he is good. Which means it's a shame he won't have more time to grow as the character, but in any case, I'll be curious to see who they choose.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Dang. Capaldi has grown on me, as they always do. By the end of their runs they're all the best. ;P

that they don't drag it out with an epic prophecy or anything, that he gets killed out of nowhere on a milk run like Danny or Clara.

Also that they don't wrangle a "no regenerations" out of it either. Could see that being a real possibility - it'd conveniently explain why he couldn't regenerate in Heaven Sent, and would make a certain amount of sense, Rassilon would want him on a leash, and a very limited set of lives would be a good one.

But it'd feel very repetitive, and contrary to Twelve's place as the start of a whole new Doctor.

I could really go for a surprise regeneration one of these days. Or a 'Doctor walks off into the sunset, next Doctor turns up next episode ready to go'. There's a tendency to milk post-regenerative trauma and it'd be refreshing for the Doctor to not have to go through an hour of sleepy, confused rambling. Rose and The Eleventh Hour felt quite fresh for me because they didn't have the Castrovalva/Christmas Invasion/Deep Breath-style 'confused Doctor cramming in continuity references'.

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »

I could really go for a surprise regeneration one of these days. Or a 'Doctor walks off into the sunset, next Doctor turns up next episode ready to go'. There's a tendency to milk post-regenerative trauma and it'd be refreshing for the Doctor to not have to go through an hour of sleepy, confused rambling. Rose and The Eleventh Hour felt quite fresh for me because they didn't have the Castrovalva/Christmas Invasion/Deep Breath-style 'confused Doctor cramming in continuity references'.

Or more timey wimey: Next Doctor turns up ready to go, then old Doctor walks off into the sunset. Could just have the new Doctor show up out of nowhere and start doing Doctory things, only to notice the old and give an "I'm sorry". The two defeat something that needs defeating by two doctors, and the new one winds up watching himself regenerate.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Dang. That's a short tenure. :(

Capaldi pretty much sealed his place as a wonderful human being, for me, with this:
    pxwSJQY.jpg

Olivia Colman or Hayley Atwell for 13th Doctor! Make it happen, BBC! (Now I've written that, it won't happen because we live in the worst terri-bad Brexit time-line)...

• Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Dang. That's a short tenure.

It's really not! No new Who Doctor has gone over 3 seasons and some specials. The other new Who Doctors had thirteen episodes in a season rather than twelve, but Capaldi will finish on close to the same number of total episodes as Smith and Tennant (Tennant will probably have a few more than either as he had more specials). You have to go back to Tom Baker to find a Doctor who had more than three seasons.

Three seasons (and four years) and done is totally par for the course.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Curious to see what (who?) comes next, although I hope it won't be a manic, twitchy young guy.

I more or less got started on Doctor Who with Capaldi, and I prefer his take to the manic flappy-wappy Matt Smith era. Smith's definitely doing a good job, but in general I like the Doctor least when he's at his most ADD; Tennant also had the manic edge, but I like that with him it came with an arrogance that he was called out on. We've just finished series 6, which I felt paid lip service to the Doctor's flaws - there's all this talk about how he's a liability to the people closest to him, but we don't really see him being called out properly and with much justification.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    You have to go back to Tom Baker to find a Doctor who had more than three seasons.

Well, unless you count audios and you end up with Paul McGann with his sixteen years of audios... :P

• Options
    I guess it might seem like a short tenure because a whole third of it is yet to come. But it really isn't.

I think Hayley Atwell is very unlikely, as she's too big for the show. Why do Doctor Who when you can be the lead in a US show that pays x times as much? Olivia Colman is a maybe, I guess, but again unlikely. Tilda Swinton is never gonna happen, nor is Ejiofor.

The level we're looking at is Keeley Hawes at maximum, total unknown at minimum. Personally I'd like Sophie Okonedo (who can do incredibly clever and occasionally imperious in her sleep). Or Susan Calman, purely to see her use a stool to reach the TARDIS controls.

• Options
    edited January 2017
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Olivia Colman or Hayley Atwell for 13th Doctor! Make it happen, BBC! (Now I've written that, it won't happen because we live in the worst terri-bad Brexit time-line)...

Oh, yes. She'll take it a heartbeat, and it's a worthy role since Peggy Carter has been put in storage.
    I guess it might seem like a short tenure because a whole third of it is yet to come. But it really isn't.

I think Hayley Atwell is very unlikely, as she's too big for the show. Why do Doctor Who when you can be the lead in a US show that pays x times as much? Olivia Colman is a maybe, I guess, but again unlikely. Tilda Swinton is never gonna happen, nor is Ejiofor.

The level we're looking at is Keeley Hawes at maximum, total unknown at minimum. Personally I'd like Sophie Okonedo (who can do incredibly clever and occasionally imperious in her sleep). Or Susan Calman, purely to see her use a stool to reach the TARDIS controls.

You'd think, but that'd be wrong. This was her last tv show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJqg6J4JeLg

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    The Hayley Atwell talk I guess is based around her saying "I want to be the Doctor" when asked if she'd ever want to be in the show, in a tweet. I think you have to place a lot of weight on that to think she'd jump at the chance to play the Doctor, when to me it reads more like a correction of the questioner assuming she would only be considered for a role in the show rather than the lead. She's in movies and US TV shows and I think is kinda beyond the show's reach now.

And sure, Conviction looked terrible, but it was a US network show that probably paid a hell of a lot more than Doctor Who ever would.

Bogart on
  • Options
  • Options
    Madpoet wrote: »
    Cyvros wrote: »

Or more timey wimey: Next Doctor turns up ready to go, then old Doctor walks off into the sunset. Could just have the new Doctor show up out of nowhere and start doing Doctory things, only to notice the old and give an "I'm sorry". The two defeat something that needs defeating by two doctors, and the new one winds up watching himself regenerate.

Hmmm, yeah.

Another variation would be the next Doctor killing the current one (or flipping it depending on who's the 'primary' Doctor at the time - the current Doctor killing the previous one).

• Options
    Has Keeley Hawes done anything that would fit with a series like this? I've liked her in a couple of things, but they've mainly been Drama with a capital D (or action drama in the case of Spooks). I'd love to see Sophie Okonedo take a crack at this, though; she's one of those actors that makes practically anything she's in better.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    Has Keeley Hawes done anything that would fit with a series like this? I've liked her in a couple of things, but they've mainly been Drama with a capital D (or action drama in the case of Spooks). I'd love to see Sophie Okonedo take a crack at this, though; she's one of those actors that makes practically anything she's in better.

She was Lara Croft's VA for years, and the lead in Ashes to Ashes* (which got very weird in spots). She has the talent to do this.

* Life on Mars spin-off

• Options
    I honestly don't think Susan Calman's got the acting chops to portray the Doctor. I haven't really seen her in alot of things thought so it's tough to tell. We need more than -just- a comedian for the role though.

She is funny as hell though.

• Options
    Has Keeley Hawes done anything that would fit with a series like this?

I don't think you need special genre acting experience to play the Doctor. Tom Baker got the part while he was working as part of a road crew. Keeley Hawes would be excellent. She can do comedy, drama and look like she's clever.

I don't think anyone is seriously considering Susan Calman.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I don't think you need special genre acting experience to play the Doctor.
    No, but you need to be able to look like you're having fun, and that's something I've not seen yet from Hawes. However, most likely that's because I've simply watched the wrong things.

Anyway, from the mention of Hawes my head jumped from one series of The Missing to another, and no, I definitely don't want James Nesbitt as the Doctor. On a different note, someone like Janet McTeer might make for an interesting option.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Has Keeley Hawes done anything that would fit with a series like this?

I don't think you need special genre acting experience to play the Doctor. Tom Baker got the part while he was working as part of a road crew. Keeley Hawes would be excellent. She can do comedy, drama and look like she's clever.

I don't think anyone is seriously considering Susan Calman.

Tom Baker, as much as I love his run and the man himself, is subject#1 when it comes to an overuse of comedy in Dr. Who.

imo at least his comedic episodes are much weaker than the rest.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I don't think you need special genre acting experience to play the Doctor.
    No, but you need to be able to look like you're having fun, and that's something I've not seen yet from Hawes. However, most likely that's because I've simply watched the wrong things.

Yeah, Spooks is not that sort of show. Hawes does occasionally have fun in AtA. And she needs to update her IMDB photo, I didn't even recognize her.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    You know who would make a great Doctor?

Robert Picardo. :biggrin:

Ok, ok, kidding, kinda.

Seriously though, what about Jeri Ryan? Known sci-fi chops, excellent performer, totally out of left field. Just have to persuade her away from police procedural drama….

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
This discussion has been closed.