As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metroid] The series so dead they resurrected it twice!

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I’d take a remake over another seven years of nothing.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    As a SSBU 0SS main, Metroid enthusiast, I wish there was more Metroid.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Super Metroid's controls are somehow both tanky and floaty, and I'm not sure it'd still feel like Super Metroid if they changed to the more action-y physics of Samus Returns. That said, I'm down for anything they want to do. SR was great and my only complaint is that it's locked to a system I don't really play anymore. Super is my favorite game of all time and unless they managed to Other M it, I'll buy it.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Hell, I'd be down with them re-releasing Samus Returns in HD on the Switch

JUST GIVE ME MORE METROID, NINTENDO

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Metroid 1 and 2 needed remakes because they're effectively unplayable. Metroid 1 more so due to the combination of the lack of power of the NES and the fact that good game design hadn't been invented yet, but Metroid 2 still mostly just involved wandering randomly through repetitive terrain hoping that at some point you hit complete coverage of the area you're in and then manage to stumble on the exit to the next area before you stumble on the exit to the previous one.

Super Metroid remains playable to this day, thanks to better design and the presence of a minimap. Minimaps are amazing things.

jothki on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Super Metroid would only need a few QoL adjustments since the core mechanics are just fine. Button confide, quick map access with pins, attacks assigned to burins, slight wall slide/stick for easier wall jumps, and a soundtrack player.

you know they'd put in something to fuck it up like the samus returns melee counter mechanic

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Yeah, Super Metroid is already perfect, there's no point in messing with it

Ehhh there's things they could do; some better sign-posting like the glass tube to Maridia, more modern control scheme, fix wall jumping so it isn't so finicky, better map

Yeah as someone who is in the middle of a replay of Super Metroid on Switch there is absolutely room for some quality of life improvements.

Don't get me wrong, I still find myself loving the game, but perfect it ain't.

• Options
    Quality of life improvements for Super if I had my way would be making it more like Zero Mission's controls and physics and that's about it.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Super Metroid is already perfect, there's no point in messing with it

Ehhh there's things they could do; some better sign-posting like the glass tube to Maridia, more modern control scheme, fix wall jumping so it isn't so finicky, better map

Apparently great minds do think alike.

Honestly, the only real change I'd make is not trapping you in the Etecoon pit. I mean, better wall jumping works there, too, but potentially breaks the game for everyone, not just speedrunners.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    I'm a bit sad they'd probably retcon the black bodysuit, hair-up, Kim Basinger Samus.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    The best version(s) of Samus without armor is the GBA game endings. Ironic considering Zero Mission is where we got the zero suit and then it has her in normal (admittedly still sexy) clothes for the ending scene.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Super Metroid would only need a few QoL adjustments since the core mechanics are just fine. Button confide, quick map access with pins, attacks assigned to burins, slight wall slide/stick for easier wall jumps, and a soundtrack player.

you know they'd put in something to fuck it up like the samus returns melee counter mechanic

I actually think they wouldn't because its kind of a sacred cow to the producer

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I'm a bit sad they'd probably retcon the black bodysuit, hair-up, Kim Basinger Samus.

On the other hand, this would be the perfect opportunity to re-establish that Samus is over six feet tall and built like an ass-kicker

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    It does seem like when they let western artists do the concepts she does tend to be bulkier.

00xaz859y56j.jpg

That said, I'm ready to stan a Samus who's built like Urbosa

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I like the bulkier Samus personally. Feels more "intergalactic bounty hunter" and less... whatever Other M was.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I'd love to see a Samus built like a brick shithouse, but western audiences seem to be terrified of women with actual muscle mass. I also want a gi-fucking-normous side scrolling metroid for the switch. I keep seeing these fancy little indie Metroidvanias, and they already brought back a Kickstartered Castlevania so where's the other half? How well did the last 3DS one sell, despite that super obnoxious melee counter mechanic?

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    At this point they've been "releasing Metroid Prime Trilogy on Switch" for 4 years now.

All the more reason to believe its coming soon. If MP4 hadn't been delayed we would have had it by now. Willing to bet it's sitting on a server somewhere just chillin.

That's been the justification every time, too.

IMO it's a reasonable one though. I have zero doubt we'd have MPT Switch by now if MP4 wasn't delayed. It just makes sense to release that in order to generate buzz for the big game. But with MP4 delayed, they've likely been sitting on it.

The way I see it, that leaves them with two options:
    -Hold until MP4 is ready for release (aka 2023 or something stupid)
    -Pick a dry software release time window and use it to bridge the time between major game releases

(technically they also have the option of cancelling it but that seems dumb)

I suspect they'll do the second one. MP4 is likely years away at this point. There's no sense holding on to a finished (or near finished or whatever) game for that long. This would be an explanation as to why we're hearing rumors again.

Of course, they could all be crap too. Entirely possible. I do think the port exists though. There has been way too much buzz around it to be made up (and frankly it just makes sense, especially in a pre-MP4-delay world)

P.S. - if they remake Super Metroid it better be friggin' amazing. That's all I'll say :P Don't ruin an already perfect game. Also hand-drawn animation art style, make it happen :P (it never does unless you happen to be WayForward T_T)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Nosf wrote: »
    I'd love to see a Samus built like a brick shithouse, but western audiences seem to be terrified of women with actual muscle mass. I also want a gi-fucking-normous side scrolling metroid for the switch. I keep seeing these fancy little indie Metroidvanias, and they already brought back a Kickstartered Castlevania so where's the other half? How well did the last 3DS one sell, despite that super obnoxious melee counter mechanic?

I um

Hm no

I think a western audience is way more willing to accept a bulkier female main star and character (Xena, Steven Universe, Game of Thrones), and it's where Nintendo HQ is located that would rather have them be diminutive.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    It does seem like when they let western artists do the concepts she does tend to be bulkier.

00xaz859y56j.jpg

That said, I'm ready to stan a Samus who's built like Urbosa

I will say, though I do not mind lithe Samus, "Able to crush your head with her bare hands" Samus has its appeal too :3

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I literally don't care what she looks like under the suit... Just give me more damn Metroid, Nintendo!

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    I literally don't care what she looks like under the suit... Just give me more damn Metroid, Nintendo!

I think for me it's the desire to fill out the fiction and have more points of reference into an imaginary universe that I want to feel more cohesive than it is. Samus exists to kill aliens and gain powerups, but fans want to be able to extrapolate. Samus seems stoic and reserved, but would those traits manifest in personal interactions? We've seen an image of her at some kind of alien-run bar appearing to enjoy herself, and that opens up a ton of questions that are satisfying to me to explore.

I want to see Samus fueling up the gunship. Does she haggle over the price of fuel? Does she intimidate the fuel seller? What's a fuel depot in the Federation even look like? I want to see her in a hoodie, lounging around between missions. Is she tracking pirate activity? Does she take time to unwind? Does she ever get emotional about the death of the super metroid?

It can't just be all hardass, all the time, because that's boring, so we fill in the gaps, and it's nice when an Official Source validates something we could only speculate on.

• Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular

I um

Hm no

I think a western audience is way more willing to accept a bulkier female main star and character (Xena, Steven Universe, Game of Thrones), and it's where Nintendo HQ is located that would rather have them be diminutive.

Western game developers like Blizzard have no issue with bulkier females as well, such as the female barbarian in Diablo 3 and Overwatch's Zarya and Brigitte.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

I um

Hm no

Western game developers like Blizzard have no issue with bulkier females as well, such as the female barbarian in Diablo 3 and Overwatch's Zarya and Brigitte.

And lets be clear here, Blizzard is not shy about sexualizing their female characters, so it says a lot that they've been willing to feature characters with amazonian builds.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I imagine it's just sort of a personal experience thing. Seems like every time you see photographs of people in Japan they all tend to have pretty similarly lean body types. Whereas western countries tend to be way more diverse. I assume that has a big influence on that kind of thing.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

I think for me it's the desire to fill out the fiction and have more points of reference into an imaginary universe that I want to feel more cohesive than it is. Samus exists to kill aliens and gain powerups, but fans want to be able to extrapolate. Samus seems stoic and reserved, but would those traits manifest in personal interactions? We've seen an image of her at some kind of alien-run bar appearing to enjoy herself, and that opens up a ton of questions that are satisfying to me to explore.

I want to see Samus fueling up the gunship. Does she haggle over the price of fuel? Does she intimidate the fuel seller? What's a fuel depot in the Federation even look like? I want to see her in a hoodie, lounging around between missions. Is she tracking pirate activity? Does she take time to unwind? Does she ever get emotional about the death of the super metroid?

It can't just be all hardass, all the time, because that's boring, so we fill in the gaps, and it's nice when an Official Source validates something we could only speculate on.

Oh yeah I'm not saying she can't have or do these things. It's just I've made it to the point to where I don't care if she folds laundry for 20 hours. I just want to play it. :)

• Options
    I think it's probably not true to say that western audiences and developers are saints in the body type acceptability sexism arena, there are still plenty of people who have never given the barbie doll proportions=default thing a second thought. We're just a LITTLE bit more woke about sexism of that sort than japan seems to be, not a lot.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I think it's probably not true to say that western audiences and developers are saints in the body type acceptability sexism arena, there are still plenty of people who have never given the barbie doll proportions=default thing a second thought. We're just a LITTLE bit more woke about sexism of that sort than japan seems to be, not a lot.

I don't think anyone said they were saints, just more likely.

• Options
    edited November 2019

I doubt it's even necessarily that. Like I said, I think we tend to do what we know and when you only experience certain body types you probably just naturally design with those in mind. I imagine it's the same over here with things like racial representation in media... you grow up mostly seeing white people and that's what you tend to draw/design (or to some extent, you might naturally gravitate towards your personal ideal of that, which is when you get the barbie doll types :P). Though it's always nice when people try to break outside that box a little, or even to see people with different life experiences starting to make games and stuff.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    So I stopped by GameStop yesterday to check out some stuff

..... I now own one of those glowy Metroids

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    I don't think it's useful to tut-tut at an entire country over Nintendo being shitty about its portrayal of Samus

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    So I stopped by GameStop yesterday to check out some stuff

..... I now own one of those glowy Metroids

I stopped by a GameStop, and they had no glowy metroids.

• Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I don't think it's useful to tut-tut at an entire country over Nintendo being shitty about its portrayal of Samus

I mean

Someone tut tutted the entire western world as not being woke enough to have non waifish females in games

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Other M is the one where Samus is in a maid costume the whole game, right?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

This is where gaming hurts sometimes; a lot of what seems like world building is actually what I would call "shallow depths."

They make you think there's more to their world than what you see on the screen, and sometimes there is, but not by that much, as it's never really explored.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Samus has always interested me, as a character designed almost entirely by the audience projecting a personality back onto her. I wonder what the Japanese view of the character is, let alone the general consensus of Nintendo’s staff.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Gwendoline Christie as Samus plz.

I'd be cool with Brie Larsen too, she looks more like Samus in the face, but Gwen has the build for it.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Wyborn wrote: »

I mean

Someone tut tutted the entire western world as not being woke enough to have non waifish females in games
    And that's silly in the extreme, but my post works with regards to both statements. More, somebody saying something silly like that isn't a good reason to go "Ah, well, Japan, am I right?" as if the entire nation is a cultural hegemony without its own conversations and movements regarding the portrayal of women in media
    On a similar note: I wouldn't use "females" when you mean "women"; in non-clinical contexts it's dehumanizing

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Gwendoline Christie as Samus plz.

I'd be cool with Brie Larsen too, she looks more like Samus in the face, but Gwen has the build for it.

Probably an unconventional choice but I’d go with Emily Blunt based on how awesome she was in Edge of Tomorrow.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    I don't think I'm alone in this, but Battlestar Galactica era Katie Sackhoff was probably the closest thing to my mental image of Samus in a lot of levels.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Drunk Samus would be the worst.

MP4 opening text:
    “The last alcohol is in captivity. The Galaxy is at peace.”

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page