As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metroid] The series so dead they resurrected it twice!

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

That Metroid dude is just a rip off of Master Chief.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    There's rumors that Halo Infinite dev 343 studios is having a shit time and morale is pretty low, so some high level people seem to be floating around for other opportunities. We heard the news of 2 or 3 senior roles leaving in a short time frame. Additionally supposedly some people left Bungie after the future looked murky with the split from Activisition, joined 343 for a bit, and then noped out and got the old jobs at Bungie BACK. In that kind of environment Retro could have picked up some very good talent to slide into a senior role.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    God that game is never going to come out if they’re just now hiring a lead artist. At the very least I don’t think it’ll end up on the OG Switch.

Nintendo better have another Metroid project coming out a little sooner.... or else.... or else.... I’ll piss and moan on the internet about it.

I genuinely regret picking up a Switch at this point. We can't even get news about things that aren't more Mario franchise sequels, all the great ports that the WiiU got seem to be completely ignored, and a genuinely unique and interesting (i.e., non-Mario) Nintendo franchise like Metroid seems pretty dead in the water.

I guess it's a solid platform if you like Mario games and/or somehow don't have a PC but like indie games from five years ago, but the system has been a paperweight on my media center for the better part of a year now.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    We know more about Zelda sequels than Mario at this point. Also Pokemon, Yoshi, Kirby, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, even Brain Training. We also got a great new sci-fi IP in Astral Chain. I get if none of that appeals to you but its pretty not-Mario.

What we don't have represented is Nintendo franchises that sell poorly in Japan. Like Metroid.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    God that game is never going to come out if they’re just now hiring a lead artist. At the very least I don’t think it’ll end up on the OG Switch.

Nintendo better have another Metroid project coming out a little sooner.... or else.... or else.... I’ll piss and moan on the internet about it.

I genuinely regret picking up a Switch at this point. We can't even get news about things that aren't more Mario franchise sequels, all the great ports that the WiiU got seem to be completely ignored, and a genuinely unique and interesting (i.e., non-Mario) Nintendo franchise like Metroid seems pretty dead in the water.

I guess it's a solid platform if you like Mario games and/or somehow don't have a PC but like indie games from five years ago, but the system has been a paperweight on my media center for the better part of a year now.

Mine doesn’t get a lot of play but I can’t say I regret the purchase yet because of Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey. But it has been a pretty thin lineup. I just don’t care about playing downgraded 3rd party games or Wii U ports. The lions share of my time is spent on PS4. Now that’s a game library.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Mine gets an average amount of play, though mostly because of BOTW and Odyssey too, as well as some good indie stuff.
    I am REALLY keen for MP4 but I would definitely rather they get it right. MP1 is still the pinnacle of the Prime games IMO

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Switch has become my primary game thing, to be honest. Not even Nintendo games, if it's not a graphics heavy thing it's my default way to play now.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

..........what?

No seriously, what? I'm not generally a Nintendo Stan, but the Switch has gotten 3 new Zelda games (well, technically 2 and a remake), two Pokemon, a new Animal Crossing (in a few months), a new Platinum game, a new and fantastic Fire Emblem, Splatoon, an amazing Mario X-Com game.

It's gotten....One new Mario platformer.

And it's getting pretty much every indie game day and date nowadays, and the ones that are older are GREAT to have on my Switch where I'll actually play them instead of taking up my limited PC time where I'd much rather be playing big AAA games.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Personally I'm happy I picked it up, I don't have a ton of games but the ones I do have I rather love. Hell, Splatoon got me playing a multiplayer shooter on sheer style. Do you know how much I normally hate multiplayer shooters? Also it's nice to have Monster Hunter GenU in English, because honestly World fell super flat with me.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

That's pretty misleading.

Exclusives (besides Mario stuff) off the top of my head
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Splatoon 2
    • ARMS
    • Snipperclips
    • Fire Emblem Three Houses
    • Astral Chain
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 2
    • Cadence of Hyrule
    • Kirby Star Allies
    • Pokemon: Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee
    • Nintendo Labo
    • Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
    • Yoshi's Crafted World

There's also a bunch of great games that are otherwise only available on the Wii U (which didn't sell very well, so it's great they're getting ported to Switch), like Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (which is getting a direct sequel, so not ignored at all). And there are games that the only other place to get them is PS4 (and not everybody has all the current consoles), like Dragon Quest Builders 2, which is a great game to be able to take with you using the portability feature. And there's a lot of great stuff on the way that is exclusive, like Bayonetta 3, No More Heroes 3, Pokemon Sword and Shield, the next Shin Megami Tensei...

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    To pull back a bit, it's not about whether Switch is worth buying or not. It's that Nintendo actually hates Metroid, specifically.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I think they should just combine the space franchises into one big mash-up bounty hunting game. Metroid, F-Zero, Star Fox. Just slam them all together with hunts, races, deep-space exploration and body-horror aliens.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    There's a ridiculous amount of good games on the Switch to the point where I feel overwhelmed sometimes, but apparently all those games are Mario.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    There are so many damn games between the Switch and PC that I keep a spreadsheet with release dates and priority ratings to make sure I can get to everything I absolutely really want and then see what else I can squeeze in as a bonus, making the conscious choice of saying no to games I know I just won't have the time to play because of other, better (objectively, or even just for me) games. Adulting is absolutely heartbreaking.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I get the feeling MP4 will be in development hell until the end of time.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I get the feeling MP4 will be in development hell until the end of time.

Eh, we've gotten exactly one bit of bad news about that game, and that news came alongside "Also we're getting the studio everyone wants to make it now."

I'd wait a bit before I would doom and gloom it.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

This is a common misunderstanding, but hiring for any given position during development isn't an indicator of how far along a given game is. Any given position could open up during any portion of development, for many reasons. Similar to how hiring a new lead dungeon designer isn't an indicator of how far along the sequel to Breath of the Wild is, hiring a modeller as a lead artist is not an indicator of how far along Metroid Prime 4 is

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I just want Metroid Prime Trilogy on Switch. Oh so badly. Or Samus Returns. Or both.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Sorry you only get Other M.

Playable only with a single joy-con.

(At least you'd have analog movement!)

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Super Metroid is my greasy bodybuilding shaan.....

...I was going to have something real to say, but I'm more interested in the story Autocorrect is writing.

Okay, for real now, Super Metroid is my great videogaming shame, for some reason I just couldn't never get into it like Fusion or Zero Mission, so I'd be super down with a remake. I like the trilogy and would probably buy it again, but I still have my Wii hooked up so I don't need it.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I mean

I'd buy it at a high price but...

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Given what was done with the Metroid 2 remake and how great Super Metroid was and much I loved Metroid Prime 1 I'm super down.

I don't really care about Metroid Prime 2 or 3 getting HD updates but eh, I'll probably at least play them.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Metroid Prime 3 is the only one I actually ever finished. Several times.

Metroid Prime... well, I never managed to beat the final boss, so I never quite finished it.

Metroid Prime 2... I think I purified the first temple or something this one time? Didn't get far in it.

So I'd probably get an HD remake for 1 and 3.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    At this point they've been "releasing Metroid Prime Trilogy on Switch" for 4 years now. I'll believe it when I actually see it.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    At this point they've been "releasing Metroid Prime Trilogy on Switch" for 4 years now.

All the more reason to believe its coming soon. If MP4 hadn't been delayed we would have had it by now. Willing to bet it's sitting on a server somewhere just chillin.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    At this point they've been "releasing Metroid Prime Trilogy on Switch" for 4 years now.

All the more reason to believe its coming soon. If MP4 hadn't been delayed we would have had it by now. Willing to bet it's sitting on a server somewhere just chillin.

That's been the justification every time, too.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options

It's almost as if they were completely transparent about what happened and why things were delayed, instead of just repeating the same statement each time.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options

It's almost as if they were completely transparent about what happened and why things were delayed, instead of just repeating the same statement each time.

No I mean that's been "people's" justification for it every time the MPT on Switch rumor has come around. "MP4 isn't out yet/got delayed, surely they MUST announce MPT at THIS Direct!"

Like I said, I'll believe it when I see it from Nintendo. Not more rumors. Just too many letdowns at this point.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Nintendo usually announces a thing or two at The Game Awards. If this is real, this sounds like the best place to do it.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    I've already stated that while Mercury Steam's efforts in Samus Returns were a big step up over the gameboy original, the gameplay isn't on the level of Super Metroid. So I'm a bit nervous if they are the ones trying to revisit that title, which is already playable right now on NSO, rather than making their own unique 2D game. I guess more Metroid is better than less Metroid, but they have awful large shoes to fill, especially at $60.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Weaksauce.

Release Metroid Prime Trilogy in 2019.

You have a month left.

EXECUTE

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I've already stated that while Mercury Steam's efforts in Samus Returns were a big step up over the gameboy original, the gameplay isn't on the level of Super Metroid. So I'm a bit nervous if they are the ones trying to revisit that title, which is already playable right now on NSO, rather than making their own unique 2D game. I guess more Metroid is better than less Metroid, but they have awful large shoes to fill, especially at $60.

Making Super Metroid play like Samus Returns would be a mistake. If they want to keep using that control style, they should make a new Metroid rather than remake the one everyone will get pissed about if they fuck it up. Just my 2 galactic credits.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Super Metroid is already perfect, there's no point in messing with it

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    If they remade Super Metroid and changed it up a lot but also included OG Super Metroid in box on emulation, I think that's fine

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Super Metroid would only need a few QoL adjustments since the core mechanics are just fine. Button confide, quick map access with pins, attacks assigned to burins, slight wall slide/stick for easier wall jumps, and a soundtrack player.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

Ehhh there's things they could do; some better sign-posting like the glass tube to Maridia, more modern control scheme, fix wall jumping so it isn't so finicky, better map

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2019

Ehhh there's things they could do; some better sign-posting like the glass tube to Maridia, more modern control scheme, fix wall jumping so it isn't so finicky, better map

Apparently great minds do think alike.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I’ll always choose sequel over remake. I get why a company would remake a successful, memorable title, but when they could be making a brand new map and bosses instead I always get a bit sad about it.

I mean, it really doesn’t take much plot-wise to have Samus fighting aliens on some other planet because Metroids.