As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Indie Games: They're like video games, but smaller!

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Three topics for the indie game thread:
    1. So, I finally sat down and started to play Child of Light. This game is delightful. While the rhyming doesn't live up to the Dr. Seuss level, I'm still impressed by it and the decision to make it. This is very much a fairy tale in game form and the music/atmosphere is great.
    2. My wife enjoys mysteries/strong story games and I'm wondering if there are any good recommendations here. I've thought of getting her The Vanishing of Ethan Carter or Myst/Riven series of games, but I'm open to other games she might be interested in.
    3. Finally, I ran across an interesting article yesterday and I thought some people in the thread might be interested http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/men-who-harass-women-are-losers-video-game-study-says-1.3162310 . Don't read the comments.

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    2. Contradiction looks pretty great. Watch the Giant Bomb videos about it.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    1) Child of Light is delightful. It doesn't have the best gameplay, but the story is exactly what it tries to be, the art and world is gorgeous, and the whole thing is so stylish and pleasant that it makes up for anything else that's lacking.
    2) Her Story?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    1. On Hard, I'm finding that the combat system is actually fairly challenging for an Grandia style ATB/interrupt system. On easy, most of the deeper strategy and planning ahead isn't as important. It's also fun to play with two people, which is something I always like.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Five Nights at Freddy's 4 has had its release date moved up from August 8th to today. Now.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I was just about to come in here and ask if it just dropped unceremoniously or if I just wasn't paying attention

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    So I played Invisible Inc. in early access a lot but I hadn't actually sat down to play the release version until now... and it's still good! Managed to beat it on the hardest difficulty in ironman mode on my second try. Now I've got a whole bunch of new characters and programs to play around in endless mode with.

Edit: FYI, Dr.Xiu is amazing. Paired him up with Nika and mman, just a great combo. He saves power and she can resolve sticky situations if you have excess power.

Gundi on
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Three topics for the indie game thread:
    1. So, I finally sat down and started to play Child of Light. This game is delightful. While the rhyming doesn't live up to the Dr. Seuss level, I'm still impressed by it and the decision to make it. This is very much a fairy tale in game form and the music/atmosphere is great.
    2. My wife enjoys mysteries/strong story games and I'm wondering if there are any good recommendations here. I've thought of getting her The Vanishing of Ethan Carter or Myst/Riven series of games, but I'm open to other games she might be interested in.
    3. Finally, I ran across an interesting article yesterday and I thought some people in the thread might be interested http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/men-who-harass-women-are-losers-video-game-study-says-1.3162310 . Don't read the comments.

If your wife is into puzzle games, Talos Principle has, probably not the best story, but one of the characters you interact with has some seriously fun and thought-provoking writing. But it's fairly hardcore as an efficiency puzzler; I had a lot of trouble with the later stuff.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Would Alan Wake fit for #2?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I

Love

Alan Wake

But I wouldn't really call it a mystery either. It has a pretty strong story though.

• Options
    Not all five parts are out yet but for #2 Kentucky Route Zero is amazing.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Alan Wake is a "Psychological Action Thriller"

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    If you have a new nintendo 3dsxl Binding of Isaac Rebirth hit the eShop today and it's near perfect port. It's content complete, and the only real thing I've noticed is some very minor slowdown. Some minibosses have broken music though. That's... literally the only thing I have to complain about.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    alan wake is a really bad game set in a good stephen king book

• Options
    Horror/games with high tension aren't really her thing, so Alan Wake probably wouldn't be appropriate.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Can't believe they made 5 sequels to Miami Vice.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    oh you might wanna check out this game i heard about, it's called like device #6 or something?

i haven't seen anyone talk about it on here, but i hear it's pretty good

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Device 6 is one of the few games where when I realized what a solution to a puzzle was I literally shouted "No fucking way."

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    D emonstrate value

E ngage physically

V alorize dependence

I gnore emotionally

C ompel trust

E liminate contact

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

You're a bad game

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

You're a bad game

well he's a person

so yes, he's not a very good game

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    D emonstrate value

E ngage physically

V alorize dependence

I gnore emotionally

C ompel trust

E liminate contact

bravo

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

You're a bad game

well he's a person

I am a person and also a good game though.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    turtleant wrote: »

You're a bad game

well he's a person

Same

• Options
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    Device 6 is one of the few games where when I realized what a solution to a puzzle was I literally shouted "No fucking way."

Which puzzle?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Alan Wake is not a bad game.

But it's not what people were expecting.

Also it's not really survival horror unless you're playing on the hardest difficulty.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015

You're a bad game

well he's a person

but what does it mean for a person to be truly "a good game"?

are any of us "good games"?

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Loot system

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

Which puzzle?
    The reversed audio going the right way in the reversed church.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlSw0OicMII

note of course that this video has jumpscares

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Skyhill is a new survival roguelike about a rich business man trying to escape from the top of a 100 floor hotel after a strange green nuclear explosion destroys civilization and turns everyone into mutants. It looks pretty cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBGnLAlj7ao

Should be out in October

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Device 6 is ok

it didn't grab me like Year Walk though

Year Walk was a fucking experience

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    MrMonroe wrote: »

You're a bad game

well he's a person

but what does it mean for a person to be truly "a good game"?

are any of us "good games"?

I have like eight different game modes.

You can play a rythm game on my belly!

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I thought Year Walk was fine but thoroughly overrated and was too bad at puzzles to get anywhere with Device 6 past a certain point. Device 6 had a hell of a presentation, though.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Did Device 6 ever come out on anything other than IOS?

edit: it turns out this was my 10,000th post.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I don't think so

• Options
    Other primarily narrative-focused games I think are good:
    The Stanley Parable: The best possible experience is to know absolutely nothing going in.
    Papers Please: This is stressful and uncomfortable and maybe not for everyone. It's one of the few games I love but also will never finish because I am so uncomfortable with the emotional place the game puts me in.
    Fallen London/Sunless Sea: Games in different genres set in the same universe, that universe being generally unsettling. All about stumbling into little self contained stories.

Also seriously Kentucky Route Zero is art: (DON'T WATCH IF YOU WANT ABSOLUTELY NO KR0 SPOILERS)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufAUonsYhVU

This discussion has been closed.