As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Indie Games: They're like video games, but smaller!

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    Device 6 is one of the few games where when I realized what a solution to a puzzle was I literally shouted "No fucking way."

Hotel Dusk prepared me for Device 6.

• Options
    FuzzytadpoleFuzzytadpole Registered User regular
    Device 6 is ok

it didn't grab me like Year Walk though

Year Walk was a fucking experience

How jump-scary is Year Walk? I have trouble dealing with that stuff.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    It has one or two jump scares. Mostly it's just... the mood.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    How can that be?

No I don't.
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I just started watching the Galak-Z quicklook, and

fuck

yes

Spoilers for a major gameplay mechanic that hasn't been properly revealed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EUq1jwl79Y

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »

Anyone who was there that one night for Forza can attest to the fact that I can't even drive in a straight line.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    This is the first I've seen of Galak-Z but I am already interested. Looks like the PC version won't be for a little while though.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    So I've been playing Her Story for almost 2 hours now, and I don't even have the slightest clue what the actual crime is yet. This game is weird.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I think the crime is just murder. You're supposed to know that from the start, I thought. Might be totally wrong though, and it isn't murder at all. I haven't gone back to that game.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I think the crime is just murder. You're supposed to know that from the start, I thought. Might be totally wrong though, and it isn't murder at all. I haven't gone back to that game.

It could be! I understand that there's a missing person maybe? But most of my time has been spent on some super weird childhood backstory stuff that hasn't tied into anything at all just yet.

I mean I think it's a super neat approach to crime procedurals, I just didn't realize how totally open-ended this whole thing is.

Also I have to say, it's not very engaging-slash-fun but the acting and premise are enough to keep me going for now.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    There's no Her Story thread is there? I want to compare notes.
    Not on figuring out the story, just want people to post the notes they took while working it out
    My notes:
    Eve- Has a tattoo
    When she was born, Florence took her home, told her mother that this one died.
    Could not get pregnant after trying to follow her sister.
    Eventually got pregnant with Simon, told Hannah it was with someone else
    Hannah found out?, had a fight, hannah got a bruise
    Tried to call Hannah, she was more important than simon

Hanah ? - Suspect's twin.
    Became pregnant, her sister could not.

Sarah - Daughter? abortion?

Simon Smith - Husband? May be in custody for crime/ murdered. Obvious that she knew who he was when they met.
    Brought Eve back to her parents house to prove they were twins, they had sex at the house and Eve got pregnant. Did not tell Simon
    He was married when they met, she didn't know(Eve or hannah?). Married to Hannah. Plays games on amstrad
    6 feet tall, Darkish blonde hair, average build. Clean shaven.
    Didn't play guitar, not musical. Tone deaf, liked to listen.

Ava - Simon's Nana

Florence - midwife
    Going to name child Eve

Carl - Hannah liked him, Eve seduced him, they did the twin thing.

Eric - Simon's Boss, Husband to Diane

Doug/Eleanor - Simon's Parents

Rockington Arms/ The Rock - Bar
    Run by Peter and Susan, barmaid Helen

Hannah/Eve's Parents -
    Parents died in summer.(1984) Forensic Entomologist was called in. It was because of the heat.(Does this mean the bodies were covered in bugs?)

Cavalier - Their Car
    Van - Used for work. Keys for the van mising on 18/06/94

Murder Scene
    broken mirror, hannah's clothes took body down to the cellar, Eve planted/broke the watch at a time for an alibi

Sessions
    18/06/94 - Big Blue shirt , talks of Simon being alive, she came here because Simon is missing
    25/06/94 - Blue button up shirt, (Feels like Hannah)
    27/06/94 - Orange sweater, talks about murder - May be Eve?
    30/06/94 - Whereing a white/blue shirt. Doesn't want to talk about Eve "Hannah, hannah, hannah. What are you doing talking about Eve" (Doesn't have tattoo, Probably Hannah)
    Says it's her guitar
    01/07/94 - 14:20 White longsleeve shirt, recounts finding Simon missing beat for beat like rehearsed from 30/06/94
    01/07/94 - Blue tshirt, Simons has been murdered (May be Eve, Eve has a tattoo) Plays guitar
    02/07/94 - Blue long blouse,
    03/07/94 - Lie detector, this is Eve

Terms to investigate
    hair, hairs - evidence
    drown
    amstrad, computer
    argument
    present
    mirror
    princes street
    February

Story:
    Twin to Hannah Smith, Eve was taken in by Florence.
    Eve lived in Hannah's attic and they lived a Parent Trap thing
    Eve seduced Carl for Hannah. Eve broke Hannah's cherry so she could too without breaking cover.
    Hannah got pregnant, Eve tried but couldn't get pregnant.(Eve was 17)
    Hannah got married to Simon and moved in with her husband's parents.
    Hannah had a miscarriage.(end of spring 1984)(8 months into pregnancy)
    Parents died in summer together during heatwave.(1984)
    ?
    Eve sings at bars, runs into Simon. He shows up again and again, eventually they kissed.
    Simon and Eve, go back to Simon's house and Eve gets pregnant

FRIDAY

Hannah pretends to be Eve, Simon confesses his love for her and gives her a mirror like he gave Hannah. Hannah loses it and kills Simon on accident with a shard from the broken mirror.
    3pm, Eve walks in and finds Simon dead, Hannah behind him in the wig, in shock.bab
    Eve and Hannah decided the Baby was what mattered. Got rid of mirror and clothes, hid the body in the cellar. Broke a watch for the alibi.
    Alibi(
    Argument between Hannah and Simon, Hannah drove off.
    Hannah ended up in Glasgow
    Slept in the car and came straight back, Simon wasn't returning calls and wasn't at the house.
    )

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Yeah that's about right.

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    This is the first I've seen of Galak-Z but I am already interested. Looks like the PC version won't be for a little while though.

September/October is the goal, I think

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Her Story starts with the word murder filled in at the start.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    I already really wanted to get Galak-Z. Now I have to. I must fulfill my 80s/90s anime dreams!

• Options
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Her Story starts with the word murder filled in at the start.

Oh yeah. Totally forgot about that somehow...

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Should start with the word Fennel, get right to the heart of the crime.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/9hIIMqtiXhs

on the integration of youtube marketing into your gameplay

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

The work on adventurer composition led into finalizing the new written content generally and making sure I had handled all of the promises I'd made to various people over the last few months. Philosophical study opens up different avenues of discussion that allow people to pass their values to both individual readers and to a lesser extent through the underlying civilization when there's a library with a copy. This doesn't impact specific ethics yet, so you won't have to worry that an elf-written book will make all your dwarves start eating dead bodies, but such a thing is now threatened for a later date by these changes. Poetry written in certain poetic forms can currently spread values before philosophers come up with specific language that can be used in prose, though not all civilizations will have such traditions.

Dwarf Fortress is still a going concern. I wonder what else has changed.

• Options
    Then there's this Jon Bois...thing. I never know where to post his stuff. It should be good.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/7/27/9011735/jons-farming-simulator

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Jon Bois has gotten me to read about, not just sports, but sports video games. The man's a wizard.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »

The work on adventurer composition led into finalizing the new written content generally and making sure I had handled all of the promises I'd made to various people over the last few months. Philosophical study opens up different avenues of discussion that allow people to pass their values to both individual readers and to a lesser extent through the underlying civilization when there's a library with a copy. This doesn't impact specific ethics yet, so you won't have to worry that an elf-written book will make all your dwarves start eating dead bodies, but such a thing is now threatened for a later date by these changes. Poetry written in certain poetic forms can currently spread values before philosophers come up with specific language that can be used in prose, though not all civilizations will have such traditions.

Dwarf Fortress is still a going concern. I wonder what else has changed.

I can't play this game

if I play this game and it clicks I will die

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I get why they haven't

But I feel like of dwarf fortress ever got a more accessible gui it could totally compete with mine craft

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Or I guess I should say

I think there was a point in time where it could've

At this point Minecraft has too much inertia

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    As somebody who has played perhaps too much Dwarf Fortress

even with a better interface probably not, as much as a more accessible Eve Online wouldn't really change what makes it magic also making it niche

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Still trying to figure out in what universe Razer's Ouya acquisition seemed like a good idea. After the disappointing reception to the original hardware who's even gonna buy one now?

And then you have this:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/28/9055441/ouya-money-owed-free-the-games

Ugh.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »

even with a better interface probably not, as much as a more accessible Eve Online wouldn't really change what makes it magic also making it niche

Dwarf Fortress is like, the Ulysses of video games or something.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I can't play vanilla dwarf fortress, but there are a few different really nice looking graphics mods you can get that also streamline a couple things

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Clockwork Empires beats them out I think.
    MAJOR FEATURES
    •first implementation of character desires and personal property
    •Very Serious economic balancing in-action
    •started implementation of overworld - or as they say in Stahlmark, "Die Oberwelt"

The Engine

•optimized all tests for detecting hostile agents and whether or not a character should raise an alarm or not
    •FIXED: save game won’t crash if you have more than eight thousand jobs (you should probably not have this many jobs)

Human Characters
    •characters now have desires
    •characters now have a record of their personal property
    •characters can now claim modules for their use (this is the start of the personal property system, though right now it’s still Communism; i.e. people will sleep in any bed, even a claimed one.)
    •mood penalties for characters going hungry have been increased.
    •mood penalties for background inter-character behavior have been decreased.
    •characters now forget negative memories of hunger if they eat, depending on how hungry they still are.
    •characters now appropriately forget memories due to drinking alcohol. Low concentrations remove less important memories, higher concentrations remove increasingly more important memories. (This will likely need balancing.)
    •added more names have been added to what will surely one day be the official unofficial Dickensian character generator
    •cultists in a cult that worships a specific type of horror may now worship that horror if they see one
    •cultists in a fish cult will not hassle fishpeople because it goes against their religious beliefs
    •romantically inclined people will occasionally cry over graves.
    •balance: made colonists made less enthusiastic about Fishpeople hassling outside of civilization
    •FIXED: some broken job requirements that locked maddened colonists into certain behaviour loops
    •FIXED: fishpeople hassling requires being in civilization
    •FIXED: sleeping people can no longer object to your policies
    •FIXED: characters will not make friends with themselves, either
    •FIXED: Colonists intending to hug fishpeople will no longer hug normal people. Just fishpeople.
    •FIXED: cultists who worship fishpeople will no longer flee from fishpeople (in non-hostile circumstances)
    •FIXED: favour naturalists should always properly do naturalist jobs. Always!

Non-Human Characters (Animals, Monsters, Vehicles)
    •bandit stealing logic made less dumb
    •performed animal job cleanup pass (should eliminate some instances of… weird behavior)
    •fishpeople will react (with alarm) to their friends receiving beatings/execution from colonists
    •fishpeople may become more aggressive if they find a fishperson corpse
    •balance: Obeliskians made tougher
    •balance: made fishpeople slightly less enthusiastic about destroying your crops
    •balance: made humanoid combatants less enthusiastic about shooting fleeing targets
    •FIXED: various issues with agents carrying out missions freezing in place temporarily (mostly.)
    •FIXED: dead bandits can no longer be harvested by fishpeople for infinite longpork
    •FIXED: scripterror created by foreigner corpses
    •FIXED: people’s heads popping off when you conscripted them into the colonial militia

Buildings & Building Creation
    •increased materials range on gabions
    •workshop missing overseer can now be given a reason other than “death”

Biomes & Terrain
    •Giant Beetles will now, confoundingly, explode into smaller beetles when killed
    •FIXED: characters will no longer discover they are distant relatives of themselves

• Options
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »

Dwarf Fortress is like, the Ulysses of video games or something.

Which is to say when I played DF I did the equivalent of giving up a few pages in.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

MAJOR FEATURES
    •started implementation of overworld - or as they say in Stahlmark, "Die Oberwelt"

The Engine

•optimized all tests for detecting hostile agents and whether or not a character should raise an alarm or not
    •FIXED: save game won’t crash if you have more than eight thousand jobs (you should probably not have this many jobs)

Human Characters
    •characters can now claim modules for their use (this is the start of the personal property system, though right now it’s still Communism; i.e. people will sleep in any bed, even a claimed one.)
    •characters now forget negative memories of hunger if they eat, depending on how hungry they still are.
    •characters now appropriately forget memories due to drinking alcohol. Low concentrations remove less important memories, higher concentrations remove increasingly more important memories. (This will likely need balancing.)
    •added more names have been added to what will surely one day be the official unofficial Dickensian character generator
    •cultists in a cult that worships a specific type of horror may now worship that horror if they see one
    •cultists in a fish cult will not hassle fishpeople because it goes against their religious beliefs
    •balance: made colonists made less enthusiastic about Fishpeople hassling outside of civilization
    •FIXED: some broken job requirements that locked maddened colonists into certain behaviour loops
    •FIXED: Colonists intending to hug fishpeople will no longer hug normal people. Just fishpeople.
    •FIXED: cultists who worship fishpeople will no longer flee from fishpeople (in non-hostile circumstances)

•performed animal job cleanup pass (should eliminate some instances of… weird behavior)
    •fishpeople will react (with alarm) to their friends receiving beatings/execution from colonists
    •balance: made fishpeople slightly less enthusiastic about destroying your crops
    •balance: made humanoid combatants less enthusiastic about shooting fleeing targets
    •FIXED: various issues with agents carrying out missions freezing in place temporarily (mostly.)
    •FIXED: dead bandits can no longer be harvested by fishpeople for infinite longpork
    •FIXED: people’s heads popping off when you conscripted them into the colonial militia

Biomes & Terrain
    •Giant Beetles will now, confoundingly, explode into smaller beetles when killed
    •FIXED: characters will no longer discover they are distant relatives of themselves

Oh hey, that's the Dredmor people. Guess I'll put that on my watchlist.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Continuing with the Ulysses analogy: It becomes much easier to understand if you read Anthony Burgess' book, "Re-Joyce" while you're reading it. Same thing with DF, it becomes easier if you use PeridexisErrant's Lazy Newb pack.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular

MAJOR FEATURES

The Engine

Human Characters

Biomes & Terrain

I dunno...

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular

MAJOR FEATURES

The Engine

Human Characters

Biomes & Terrain

I dunno...

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    agoaj wrote: »
    Not on figuring out the story, just want people to post the notes they took while working it out
    My notes:
    Eve- Has a tattoo

Simon Smith - Husband? May be in custody for crime/ murdered. Obvious that she knew who he was when they met.
    Brought Eve back to her parents house to prove they were twins, they had sex at the house and Eve got pregnant. Did not tell Simon
    He was married when they met, she didn't know(Eve or hannah?). Married to Hannah. Plays games on amstrad

Ava - Simon's Nana

Florence - midwife
    Going to name child Eve

Hannah/Eve's Parents -
    Parents died in summer.(1984) Forensic Entomologist was called in. It was because of the heat.(Does this mean the bodies were covered in bugs?)

Cavalier - Their Car

Murder Scene
    broken mirror, hannah's clothes took body down to the cellar, Eve planted/broke the watch at a time for an alibi

Sessions
    18/06/94 - Big Blue shirt , talks of Simon being alive, she came here because Simon is missing
    30/06/94 - Whereing a white/blue shirt. Doesn't want to talk about Eve "Hannah, hannah, hannah. What are you doing talking about Eve" (Doesn't have tattoo, Probably Hannah)
    Says it's her guitar
    01/07/94 - 14:20 White longsleeve shirt, recounts finding Simon missing beat for beat like rehearsed from 30/06/94
    01/07/94 - Blue tshirt, Simons has been murdered (May be Eve, Eve has a tattoo) Plays guitar

Terms to investigate
    hair, hairs - evidence
    drown
    amstrad, computer
    argument
    present
    mirror
    princes street
    February

Story:
    Eve seduced Carl for Hannah. Eve broke Hannah's cherry so she could too without breaking cover.
    ?
    Eve sings at bars, runs into Simon. He shows up again and again, eventually they kissed.

FRIDAY

Hannah pretends to be Eve, Simon confesses his love for her and gives her a mirror like he gave Hannah. Hannah loses it and kills Simon on accident with a shard from the broken mirror.
    3pm, Eve walks in and finds Simon dead, Hannah behind him in the wig, in shock.bab
    Eve and Hannah decided the Baby was what mattered. Got rid of mirror and clothes, hid the body in the cellar. Broke a watch for the alibi.
    Alibi(
    Slept in the car and came straight back, Simon wasn't returning calls and wasn't at the house.
    )

My notes were just
    Names with question marks after them, and then TWINS in all caps

I reeeeeeally liked Her Story, by the by. That a story can feel that dense, detailed, and intricate, while ALSO feeling completely open-ended and approachable from so many different angles, is fucking insaaaaaaane. Really, truly excellent experience.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I'm always afraid Her Story is going to lose people once you know "the thing" about it

I still found it just as fascinating when it unfolded

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    agoaj wrote: »
    My notes:
    Eve- Has a tattoo

Ava - Simon's Nana

Florence - midwife
    Going to name child Eve

Hannah/Eve's Parents -

Cavalier - Their Car

Murder Scene

Sessions
    Says it's her guitar

Terms to investigate
    hair, hairs - evidence
    drown
    amstrad, computer
    argument
    present
    mirror
    princes street
    February

Story:
    ?

FRIDAY

Alibi(
    )

My notes were just
    Names with question marks after them, and then TWINS in all caps

I reeeeeeally liked Her Story, by the by. That a story can feel that dense, detailed, and intricate, while ALSO feeling completely open-ended and approachable from so many different angles, is fucking insaaaaaaane. Really, truly excellent experience.

Her Story seems like it has a really interesting story, executed really well, but I got absolutely no enjoyment out of interacting with it, sadly. That being said, I hope it does really well for the developer and they keep making stuff like it, because while it's not something I want to engage in myself, I 100% want more stuff like it to exist.

• Options
    Then there's this Jon Bois...thing. I never know where to post his stuff. It should be good.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/7/27/9011735/jons-farming-simulator

Here's the first race results.
    http://www.sbnation.com/2015/7/28/9051099/jons-farming-simulator-irresponsible-gameplay-jon-is-disappointed

This discussion has been closed.