As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Better Call Saul] S'All Good Man

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    What the hell did they do with Odenkirk's makeup in this episode. It is genuinely disturbing.

Also, directed by Rhea Seehorn!

With or without the Howard fake tan?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    What the hell did they do with Odenkirk's makeup in this episode. It is genuinely disturbing.

With or without the Howard fake tan?

With so far.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    Did anyone else notice a slight hickup in the stream at the end of the episode, when Gus and Mike are talking about the cook?

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    NineNine Registered User regular
    Was that Anthony Carrigan (NoHo Hank) as one of the guys following Kim?

It sure looked like it was.

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Nine wrote: »
    Was that Anthony Carrigan (NoHo Hank) as one of the guys following Kim?

It sure looked like it was.

Nah. Though I'd love a reveal that Barry was canonically in the BrBa universe.

Kasyn on
  • Options
    ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

Fun little detail from the insider podcast. They made sure to get a little of that bronzer on the collar of his shirt. Not too much, just a little.

As for the neat set design in this episode...
    Imagine being pursued by a guy so scary you buy the house next door, build a hidden tunnel between the houses, and pay a couple to keep living there and to not even see you or acknowledge your presence.

Is that how scary Lalo is?

No. Lalo is so scary he's got Gus Fring wearing a clip-on tie, and changing up the fit of his dress shirts to accommodate a kevlar vest. That's on another planet.

ArmsForPeace84 on
    Nothing personal. It's just business.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

Fun little detail from the insider podcast. They made sure to get a little of that bronzer on the collar of his shirt. Not too much, just a little.

As for the neat set design in this episode...
    Imagine being pursued by a guy so scary you buy the house next door, build a hidden tunnel between the houses, and pay a couple to keep living there and to not even see you or acknowledge your presence.

Is that how scary Lalo is?

No. Lalo is so scary he's got Gus Fring wearing a clip-on tie, and changing up the fit of his dress shirts to accommodate a kevlar vest. That's on another planet.

So that's why he was wearing a clip on tie. That was really bugging me.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I assumed it was because he works in the food business and it was for safety - don't want it getting caught in a mechanism

Although there aren't that many machines of that nature in a fried chicken restaurant, so the spoiler makes more sense

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Don't know what would be scarier—suggesting to Gus that he hire a less-than-quality fry cook or that he wear a clip on tie. Mike's a pro.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

I can just imagine the makeup artist asking "Where does Donald Trump get his fake tan? I need to go there."

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    All caught up.

But I gotta confess: I've forgotten why Jimmy and Kim have a vendetta against Howard.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    All caught up.

But I gotta confess: I've forgotten why Jimmy and Kim have a vendetta against Howard.

Jimmy for no discernible reason. Aside from, Howard is the last remaining convenient target for his frustration now that Chuck has passed on and left Jimmy awash in a sea of his older brother's adoring friends and colleagues.

Kim because of Howard's kind of belittling, "proud a ya, kiddo" attitude toward her, and denying her agency in making decisions about her life by assuming that Jimmy's bad influence on her is behind choices like leaving Schweikart & Cokely and the bank she worked so hard to win and maintain as a client.

Both reasons kind of suck, and (spoilered just to be safe)
    I hate this plan and this subplot. Howard is one of the more earnest and principled characters on the show, along with fellow law firm heads Rick Schweikert and Cliff Davis. And he's gone out of his way to try and be a good friend to both McGill brothers, being handed only grief and ballache for his trouble. But I gotta put most of the blame for how far they're taking things on Kim. Jimmy was kind of done with Howard after the bowling balls and ladies of the night. It was Kim who wanted to go scorched earth in a way that's all out of proportion.

Now, putting them both in danger by getting in bed with the cartel? That's all on Jimmy/Saul. Getting in trouble with the law kind of pales in comparison to how bad that could go, and how bad it ultimately does go in BB.

ArmsForPeace84 on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    If we aren’t meant to sympathize with Howard against Jimmy and Kim, the show is failing.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Isn't the Sandpiper money somehow tied up with the Howard thing?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    The basic idea is that they are trying to convince Cliff Davis that Howard has a problem and prolonged litigation on the Sandpiper case could be bad for Davis & Main if that comes out. Thus they'll settle more quickly, Kim and Jimmy get a payday. Payday funds Kim's pro-bono work, hooray. And it's obviously all out of proportion and leading towards Kim's actual reckoning.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Right, like they have this really thin excuse but it just feels wildly cruel and barely connected.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Kim definitely gives off chaotic good vibes

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    If it was merely about the Sandpiper case they would have tried to find some other way. It's definitely about their petty, nonsensical and one-sided vendetta against Howard.

• Options
    If we aren’t meant to sympathize with Howard against Jimmy and Kim, the show is failing.

I think the show has spent enough time with Howard now, showing that he's more principled and less inclined to hold a grudge than our leads, that the audience is meant to find him a sympathetic character. And that goes for some of the other characters on the legal side of the show, in a nice counterpoint to the criminal lawyer trope that necessarily had to be the focus of the series. It was downright touching how Cliff Davis asked Kim how Jimmy is doing, after everything the younger McGill brother pulled over at Davis & Main.
    If it was merely about the Sandpiper case they would have tried to find some other way. It's definitely about their petty, nonsensical and one-sided vendetta against Howard.

A little from column A, a little from column B. With column A serving, also, as convenient justification for column B. It's the celery that comes with the buffalo wings.

• Options
    ouchiesouchies Registered User regular
    The "Kim and Jimmy Ruin Howard's Career" storyline might be important for their characters, but it certainly isn't fun to watch. It's unsettling and hard to watch, which is the point, and every time that plot line advances I get pretty deflated. That's a good magic trick in itself, really. I'm certainly not rooting for Kim and Jimmy the way I was rooting for Nacho, or even Mike. I'm not rooting against them, either, I just keep expecting them to snap out of it, but that's not the story they're telling and it doesn't inform Saul's character when he shows up on Breaking Bad. The Kim and Jimmy plot line also feels like it's spinning its wheels, which is the first time I've ever felt like that on this show.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    With regards to Kim in the latest episode:
    I found the whole meeting an interesting reflection on Kim's priorities. The meeting was meant to simply be a setup for the driveby, and she was clearly surprised that talking to Cliff actually produced results for the pro-bono work she supposedly set out to do. Which one is she giving more attention to?

Likewise, I think she hesitated slightly when Cliff brought up his son's addiction problems? But she went ahead with it anyway.

• Options
    Has there been dialogue before the credits this entire season?

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Gus S6E5
    based on the gun, he seems to have surmised the destination, but not the route of Lalo’s strike?

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Howard's license plate had a 2005 tag. Is that the first time there has been an explicit year attached to the series besides "vaguely mid 2000s?"

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    That was a lot of old people tightly backed in a room.

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    If there's one thing Vince Gilligan loves, it's couples that don't trust each other with secrets.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    That line from Kim about Howard seemed awfully ominous.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Suddenly the baby superlab is actually becoming important. (Besides pushing Mike further into darkness, of course.)

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    altid wrote: »

Yeah.
    But now that Howard knows, there's a good chance that whatever it is is going to backfire on Kim horribly.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »

Yeah.
    But now that Howard knows, there's a good chance that whatever it is is going to backfire on Kim horribly.
    It seemed like they had Howard finding out factored in though. Even Howard pointed out that they hadn't exactly covered their tracks. Speculatively, I'd worry that Howard having a PI tail Jimmy could accidentally drag him into the cartel dispute. Mike's guys will likely pick him up, and who knows what could happen if Lalo picked up on the tail. But that's just me speculating.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

Yeah.

Oh crap:
    Howard's plan for revenge on Jimmy could wind up destroying Kim while leaving Jimmy unscathed.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Howard:
    He has alibi for the "hooker thrown from a car" incident, which he could have brought up.

Tangentially related: I'm very sure that Howard's PI will have a run-in with Mike's people (with an encounter the Salamancas' people as a dark horse).

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    Howard:
    He has alibi for the "hooker thrown from a car" incident, which he could have brought up.

Tangentially related: I'm very sure that Howard's PI will have a run-in with Mike's people (with an encounter the Salamancas' people as a dark horse).
    But how good an alibi is "I'm in therapy" to a guy who already thinks you're crazy? One step forward, one step back

• Options
    It seems fairly obvious to me that Kim is going to end up...
    being disbarred.

• Options
    madparrot wrote: »
    Howard:

But how good an alibi is "I'm in therapy" to a guy who already thinks you're crazy? One step forward, one step back

Very, I should think, when you can prove it.

• Options
    BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Gus S6E5
    based on the gun, he seems to have surmised the destination, but not the route of Lalo’s strike?
    About that
    Masterful Scene in its level of intellect 👌
    in S5 Ep6, Gus met with Madrigal directors and offered them the new recipe:Spice Curls
    This moment Triggered his thinking about Madrigal and Germany and that Lalo might be digging for some information in Germany 😏
    #BetterCallSaul

• Options
    ouchiesouchies Registered User regular
    It makes some level of sense that there might be a showdown at the lab, given that Lalo was so focused on finding out what project Gus was working on. Making a connection between “spicy curls” and “Lalo is in Germany digging around” is a stretch. That’s some kind of plot-dictated clairvoyance that is more convenient than clever.

• Options
    Alright, prediction time, for how Lalo’s story ends. Because it’ll be fun to revisit and see how this holds up.
    The episode where Lalo dies opens with a floor-level shot in the super lab, with the camera speeding up as we see a blur of activity. The lab being completed, being used by characters we’ve seen before, unrecognizable as they’re out of focus and wearing protective gear (underneath, technically the first appearance of Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul in the series) and then diluted blood washing across the floor, followed by flames and a cut to the opening titles.

In the episode, Lalo is either cornered in the lab or is taken there to be disposed of in the foundation being poured for the lab. Buried with the big secret he was trying to expose. Hector learns of his fate when Lalo fails to show at a meeting he arranged. We see, from a distance, one of his scary nephews lean in close to tell him something we can’t hear, but presumably, “he’s not coming.” All we hear is the frustrated, repeated, ringing of his bell as the camera zooms out to reveal, like the poem Ozymandias, only the sands of the desert.

Then in the Insider Podcast, Vince has little fun teasing the audience that “you’ve seen Bryan and Aaron now, that was it.” To some feigned disbelief by the other hosts and guests, who of course know better.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »

I've noticed Kim is smoking and drinking daily now. She has turned to a life of vice and it'd be great to see a comparison from earlier seasons. Wasn't she hiding cigarette breaks from her coworkers or am I thinking of another show?

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    tyrannus wrote: »

I've noticed Kim is smoking and drinking daily now. She has turned to a life of vice and it'd be great to see a comparison from earlier seasons. Wasn't she hiding cigarette breaks from her coworkers or am I thinking of another show?

The first time we see that Kim and Jimmy are close is that beautiful shot where he joins her on one of her smoke breaks.

But yeah, it makes sense for her to be stressing right now.