Options

Yellow [Chat]

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    My main issue with dlc is that it doesn't really go on sale, so individual items routinely cost substantially more than the base game (like all the me dlc, I think it was eight quid for the three base games and then five to ten for anything that added real content)

DLC goes on sale on PC all the time

Or you can wait for game of the year version to come out and get errthang at once

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    For the pc I'm still waiting for the xcom and endless space expansions to get a decent sale

Compared to base game discounting and sales, it just doesn't happen

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    ME DLC goes on sale for a week every now and then on the 360 (or did - they tend not to bother more than a couple of years after the game's release). You have to be keeping track to catch it, though.

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    For the pc I'm still waiting for the xcom and endless space expansions to get a decent sale

Compared to base game discounting and sales, it just doesn't happen

I'm pretty sure I got xcom enemy within for 15 bucks on steam

it's worth the original 30

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Clearly I'm just cheap

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    So, Patty read her entire facebook recently and convinced me to do the same. I'm reading through it and I realize I was way cooler in college than I remember.

It is adorable retroactively seeing how my bromances developed in real-time, too.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    ....shit GiantBomb's Evolve Quicklook makes it look REAL good

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Zampanov wrote: »
    My main issue with dlc is that it doesn't really go on sale, so individual items routinely cost substantially more than the base game (like all the me dlc, I think it was eight quid for the three base games and then five to ten for anything that added real content)

DLC goes on sale on PC all the time

Or you can wait for game of the year version to come out and get errthang at once

It doesn't really. Or not a very good sale. Frequently the DLC will end up costing you way more then the game did if the game has been out for awhile.

And if it's Bioware? Just fuck yourself in advance and save them the time. You can grab the Mass Effect trilogy for like $10 and then spend like over $100 on the DLC and it never goes on sale.

• Options
    I think realistically the pushback over Evolve comes not from the fact that it's Day 1 DLC but that, no matter how much they claim it's totally a full game with extras, it looks, sounds and feels like a F2P game they are charging you $60 for.

People know the F2P model and are comfortable with it, whether they should be or not.
    And of course people get the whole full price for full game thing too.

Try and double dip by making a full price game with a F2P style model and people will get pissed cause people put up with the model because it's "free".

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Morning folks. What is up/down?

• Options
    Haphazard wrote: »

Quarks

• Options

Quarks
    Bar or Holodeck?

• Options
    The $136 of Evolve DLC seems to be entirely cosmetic. There's a season pass that will unlock new meaningful content at $25, but that doesn't seem unreasonable.

Is the base game very samey without all the skins? It doesn't seem as bad as, say, buying in game currency with real money to unlock stuff (as in ME3 and GTAV).

• Options

Quarks

There was a question on University Challenge about quarks the other day."Up, Down, Strange blah blah what are these types of?". I got it before the speccy posho from Trinity and felt immensely pleased with myself.

The wife was impressed until I explained that I only knew that because Daryl Hannah explains it to Steve Martin in Roxanne. A lot of my esoteric knowledge comes from rewatching movies and reading comics.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    The $136 of Evolve DLC seems to be entirely cosmetic. There's a season pass that will unlock new meaningful content at $25, but that doesn't seem unreasonable.

Is the base game very samey without all the skins? It doesn't seem as bad as, say, buying in game currency with real money to unlock stuff (as in ME3 and GTAV).

yes

as far as i can tell it is vcery very samy, in a way l4d2 was not

although this is partly because the premise is more particular

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

yes

No? In my 14 hours of gameplay I've found this to be completely false. I feel there is far more depth and variation than L4D2 had. Different classes/monsters can make it like an entirely different game.

• Options
    Like, the whole DLC issue is ridiculously overstated. There are basically just a bunch of ludicrously priced skins you can buy. Your $60 purchase is absolutely a full game of content.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Winky wrote: »
    Like, the whole DLC issue is ridiculously overstated. There are basically just a bunch of ludicrously priced skins you can buy. Your $60 purchase is absolutely a full game of content.

There's extra characters and monsters in the DLC. It's not just skins afaik.

And that, from the people I know who dislike this whole thing, is the thing they don't like.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    The article I read said the DLC was cosmetic (though there would be DLC coming - available to anyone who bought a season pass - that would introduce new characters).

Bogart on
  • Options
    The major PC gaming publications here warned of Evolve preorders, since they felt people should not support this kind of preorder bonus.
    That's all I know of Evolve.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

And that, from the people I know who dislike this whole thing, is the thing they don't like.

All of the extra characters and monsters are covered by the $25 season pass.

Also none of them are Day 1.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015

yes

No? In my 14 hours of gameplay I've found this to be completely false. I feel there is far more depth and variation than L4D2 had. Different classes/monsters can make it like an entirely different game.

i was bored to tears inside an hour

the advantage l4d2 had was significant coop vs ai - this does not really have that

u will find critical reception will probably reflect this, i would be surprised if metacritic clears low 80s

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    The game's Xbox One DLC hub spans four pages and includes 44 items that can be purchased a la carte. A quick breakdown: 24 are priced at $1.99, nine priced at $2.99, eight priced at $4.99 and three priced at $6.99 for a total of $135.56.

None of that is included in the game's season pass or the DLC associated with it. With the $24.99 Evolve Season Pass, players gain access to three skins exclusive to the pack and four new hunters. Hunters will be available individually upon release for $7.49 each.

The regular edition of Evolve, which includes only the game, rings in at $59.99. Players who purchase the Digital Deluxe edition for $79.99 also get access to the season pass.

Season pass content is not day one DLC, I believe.

• Options
    I don't care, as I doubt I'll be buying it anytime soon, but new character paid DLC that's released later doesn't seem uniquely terrible. Day one stuff is all cosmetic for people who are in the market to buy cosmetic stuff.

• Options
    edited February 2015

yes

i was bored to tears inside an hour

the advantage l4d2 had was significant coop vs ai - this does not really have that

u will find critical reception will probably reflect this, i would be surprised if metacritic clears low 80s

You might be bored to tears because you don't like the game. I sincerely doubt that a couple more hunter and monster classes would've fixed that for you.

There are totally coop vs ai modes in this game as well. I seriously do not see where you are coming from.

Winky on
  • Options
    I didn't mind the ability to spend real money to buy guns in the me3 multiplayer. It's not something that I would ever do, but it didn't cheapen my experience.

• Options
    The game's Xbox One DLC hub spans four pages and includes 44 items that can be purchased a la carte. A quick breakdown: 24 are priced at $1.99, nine priced at $2.99, eight priced at $4.99 and three priced at $6.99 for a total of $135.56.

None of that is included in the game's season pass or the DLC associated with it. With the $24.99 Evolve Season Pass, players gain access to three skins exclusive to the pack and four new hunters. Hunters will be available individually upon release for $7.49 each.

The regular edition of Evolve, which includes only the game, rings in at $59.99. Players who purchase the Digital Deluxe edition for $79.99 also get access to the season pass.

Season pass content is not day one DLC, I believe.

wives are day 1 dlc (u have to pay for the wedding then u have to unlock advanced wife features immediately, nitemare....)

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    The guy on the desk behind me is going through a really messy divorce. Such things advance during work hours.

He just had a phone call and is now sitting with his head in his hands.

• Options
    I didn't mind the ability to spend real money to buy guns in the me3 multiplayer. It's not something that I would ever do, but it didn't cheapen my experience.

Same here. Didn't spend a penny on it, earned a bunch of points by playing the incredibly fun multiplayer mode a bunch with PA folks and unlocked some cool guns. It was a cynical cash grab that robbed honest, hard-working gamers only if those gamers threw money at it.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    shryke wrote: »

All of the extra characters and monsters are covered by the $25 season pass.

Also none of them are Day 1.

That is not what I'd heard.

Which is kinda the point. Regardless of how it actually works out the perception is that it's not just cosmetic shit in the extra non-SP DLC or alternate extra editions of the game and that's what's pissing people off.

Also, that there is so much not in the Season Pass, since the expected point of the SP is that you pay a flat fee and get all the DLC. And this feeds in to the above perception.

People feel like they are getting sold a game at full price, then sold a SP and then sold a ton more shit on top of that in a confusing avalanche of different SKUs. And it's making them feel ripped off. This seems to be defining the limit of what people are, apparently, willing to put up with re: DLC. The basic issue seemingly being "If I'm paying full price for the game, I expect a fairly straightforward and not-F2P-esque DLC model".

People expect to pay for their games through one model or the other, not both. When you double up they feel like you are trying to hit their wallets a second time.

shryke on
  • Options
    I would never buy cosmetic stuff for money!
    ... ok, I would never buy cosmetic stuff for much money.
    ... seems like I already did all that.
    ... fuck.

• Options
    wives are day 1 dlc (u have to pay for the wedding then u have to unlock advanced wife features immediately, nitemare....)

Sometimes, certain gameplay features are actually removed from your spouse after the wedding. DLC you may have enjoyed before is delisted without notice.

Marriage is always a dicey proposition because you may not want to be playing the same thing five years down the line. The small print makes it very difficult to get a newer model with better graphics, though. And upgrading the graphics on an existing model is a process fraught with danger.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    good morning scheck

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    I think it's another excuse for nerds to bitch about something because that is literally all that they do.

• Options
    Im glad my next couple weeks of work are such shite that I wont be tempted to buy Evolve, if I choose to in a couple weeks I should be able to get it second hand for a decent amount off.

• Options
    I can't think of a game with a season pass that has ever included all DLC as part of it. It's only the meaningful content that's a part of the season pass. Cosmetic stuff is always a side thing, available to suckers people that want it.

I think the way it actually works out is more important than the perception of people who don't actually understand how it works out. It's an error in PR for that message to have gotten out there, but it's not a problem with the game itself.

• Options
    I think it's another excuse for nerds to bitch about something because that is literally all that they do.

Their pre order options are weird and the listings for the Monster edition on PC is weird cause it implies all the stuff listed is there right away when I don't think it is?

2k's PR leaves something to be desired

• Options

I think I'm just not interested in a game that is both receiving a lukewarm critical response and presented its payment model as full price + dlc + free to pay style cash shop.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular

Sometimes, certain gameplay features are actually removed from your spouse after the wedding. DLC you may have enjoyed before is delisted without notice.

Marriage is always a dicey proposition because you may not want to be playing the same thing five years down the line. The small print makes it very difficult to get a newer model with better graphics, though. And upgrading the graphics on an existing model is a process fraught with danger.

god forbid if you ever try to uninstall it as well.

This discussion has been closed.