Options

Yellow [Chat]

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I think it's another excuse for nerds to bitch about something because that is literally all that they do.

It more seems like a bunch of consumers yelling about behaviour they don't like (even if that behaviour is only happening in their minds).

And it demonstrates not a bunch of nerds bitching for no reason but instead the apparent limits of what people are willing to put up with in a sales model. Which is interesting stuff.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    I think I've bought a few season passes (ME2, ME3, maybe two of the GoW games) and I don't think the cosmetic stuff was ever included. There was a huge pack of GoW3 weapon skins that cost as much as basically all the rest of the playable, meaningful DLC put together, and I never understood why anyone would buy it.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I can't think of a game with a season pass that has ever included all DLC as part of it. It's only the meaningful content that's a part of the season pass. Cosmetic stuff is always a side thing, available to suckers people that want it.

I think the way it actually works out is more important than the perception of people who don't actually understand how it works out. It's an error in PR for that message to have gotten out there, but it's not a problem with the game itself.

No, it's not. Cause people don't react to how it actually works, they react to how they think it works.

This is, after all, why marketing is important.

If their DLC model doesn't work how people seem to think it does for this game, they've both failed at their job of marketing their product and through that shown what people are apparently willing to tolerate. Even if the DLC model does not work how people think it does, if this backfires on Evolve it will serve as a cautionary tale to future developers and publishers.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    I think it's another excuse for nerds to bitch about something because that is literally all that they do.

It more seems like a bunch of consumers yelling about behaviour they don't like (even if that behaviour is only happening in their minds).

And it demonstrates not a bunch of nerds bitching for no reason but instead the apparent limits of what people are willing to put up with in a sales model. Which is interesting stuff.

This happens all the time constantly with anything with a dedicated nerd following on the internet. Misunderstandings and perceived slights are instantly blown out of proportion and then subjected to an echo chamber of increasingly angry voices that aren't even totally clear on what they're actually angry about. It is, by far, the most frustrating aspect of human behavior that I am subjected to constantly.

• Options
    Maybe people on the internet are just always, constantly, incessantly prepared to snap at anything that they can find a way to perceive some sort of fault in whatsoever.

• Options
    And maybe these people should be told to think critically about their lives and the way they react to the world around them.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Hence my saying it's an error in PR, not a problem with the game itself. (edit: this was in response to Shryke, not Winky's tri-tri-triple post)

When I said one thing was more important, I meant in the sense of it being important about whether I should be annoyed. I understand how it works, so I think the way the DLC is being parceled out is fine.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Maybe people on the internet are just always, constantly, incessantly prepared to snap at anything that they can find a way to perceive some sort of fault in whatsoever.

You rail against this a lot. I think the belief might colour your perception of the world

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

You rail against this a lot. I think the belief might colour your perception of the world

Or does your belief color yours?

Try being on the receiving end, sometime. You'll instantly sympathize with my position.

• Options
    Mojo's post about the divorce guy reminded me of a guy I met a couple of weeks ago. He was in the process of splitting up with his wife (two kids) and seemed to be half-nursing a dream ending that involved her moving out of the house, leaving him and the kids. Since she was a stay at home mum and he was out working, I thought this a trifle optimistic.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I see people in the MH thread talking about how a $30 pack for Spider-man with a pet, 5 skins and a bank tab is a really good deal amd the mind boggles.

Spider-man isn't even a good character. ...

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I feel like this is a REAL shitty attitude to take when you get your games for free likely or have acess it to on a press account.

I agree with him fully.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    Mojo's post about the divorce guy reminded me of a guy I met a couple of weeks ago. He was in the process of splitting up with his wife (two kids) and seemed to be half-nursing a dream ending that involved her moving out of the house, leaving him and the kids. Since she was a stay at home mum and he was out working, I thought this a trifle optimistic.

worked in mediation for a while

a lot of the difficulties were managing people's fantasy outcomes which had zero chance of ever happening

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    EA is the most stingy with DLC sales for sure, and they don't make GOTY versions like Bethesda or Ubisoft.

I still feel like $25 for 4 more chars like Evolve if a pretty shit deal.
    It's a bad deal if they are more powerful, because then the $60 game doesn't feel like the full game.
    And it's a bad deal if they are less powerful, because then it feels like a ripoff.

In general I care not about cosmetic DLC, and I'm ok with storyline DLC if it's well done. Or map packs for DLC.
    But integrated gameplay features really grind me, and moreso in a multiplayer game. If I can choose 4 weapons and the dude that payed $20 more kills me with the 5th or 6th one I feel like I don't own the game.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i need to put in a request for them to order some vegetables or something to work for snacks

since starting this job the % of my daily calories made up from cookies, crackers, granola bars and jerky has significantly increased

poo
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I generally don't mind cosmetic DLC, even if I

74d.jpg

At $70 Monocles.

• Options
    also ever since i registered to download test software for the gmat now all these schools send me MBA info and i have to opt out from each individually it seems like and it's fkn annoying

poo
  • Options
    Yesterday's comic thread bought out some special little soldiers.

• Options
    also man j crew factory has a good sale and i have no money right now because i was unemployed for so long and i like buying things

i need to accumulate a few paychecks first though

poo
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I don't think I've EVER purchased DLC that wasn't new CoD maps

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my belt broke. :(

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »

QUICK! Get an extension cord!

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    815165 wrote: »

a lot of the difficulties were managing people's fantasy outcomes which had zero chance of ever happening

Conversely my girlfriend's parents know a doctor who has 5 kids, and his wife left him and the 5 children.

It's an outcome which I'm utterly baffled at how it was arrived at. I can only presume that people use pregnancy the same way they use marriage planning to paper over faults in a relationship.

• Options

QUICK! Get an extension cord!

I mean it's not like I need the belt. It just looked nice.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    But I bought the shit out of those cod maps

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular

Or does your belief color yours?

Try being on the receiving end, sometime. You'll instantly sympathize with my position.

Nah, I think you're overly sensitive to this kind of stuff, and let your personal experiences colour a lot of your views.

tn: I used to regularly make lead decisions for projects and changes aimed at tens of thousands of nerds in a leisure capacity.

• Options
    Also I kind of wish some of my classmates cared a bit about these classes. It's hard to have a group talk about those disputed Japanese islands when no one says anything but the teacher and I.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »
    Zampanov wrote: »
    My main issue with dlc is that it doesn't really go on sale, so individual items routinely cost substantially more than the base game (like all the me dlc, I think it was eight quid for the three base games and then five to ten for anything that added real content)

DLC goes on sale on PC all the time

Or you can wait for game of the year version to come out and get errthang at once

It doesn't really. Or not a very good sale. Frequently the DLC will end up costing you way more then the game did if the game has been out for awhile.

And if it's Bioware? Just fuck yourself in advance and save them the time. You can grab the Mass Effect trilogy for like $10 and then spend like over $100 on the DLC and it never goes on sale.

Depends on the company. Paradox puts their dlc on sale all the time.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    The Guardian (of course) has a new feature for their website. They give two people on a date Google Glass and don't let them turn it off until the date is over.

Watch Me Date.

It sounds like the excellent First Dates on Channel 4, but the people are more annoying because they're wearing Google Glass.

Bogart on
  • Options

Conversely my girlfriend's parents know a doctor who has 5 kids, and his wife left him and the 5 children.

It's an outcome which I'm utterly baffled at how it was arrived at. I can only presume that people use pregnancy the same way they use marriage planning to paper over faults in a relationship.

Maybe their five kids were really annoying.

• Options

Maybe their five kids were really annoying.

Sounds probable.

• Options
    God

I can't hate kanye
    Kanye said that the "voices in his head" told him to go on stage at the Grammys, but that he refrained from grabbing the microphone because he didn't want to take away time from Beck's acceptance speech. "Beck is one of the nicest guys and one of the most respected musicians in the game," he said. "There’s nothing that I will want to do as a fellow musician to disrespect him in any way." He said he misworded his comments and added: "Obviously Beck is one of the most respected artists, and respects artistry."

He also said, "But Taylor Swift came up to me right afterwards, literally right afterwards, and tells me that I should have went on stage. This is the irony of my life."

All well and good. But I love this part:
    In particular, he said he and Swift are planning to collaborate on music. "She wants to get in the studio and we’re definitely going to go in," he said. "Any artist with an amazing point of view, perspective, fan base, I’m down to get in the studio and work."

You don't know how much I love that he included "fan base"

And then this:
    He called himself a "chiropractor," and said he provides jolts of truths in these candid moments. "Everyone feels better after the fact, or everyone is way more famous after the fact, or everyone sells way more albums after the fact, and then Kanye just goes on being an asshole to everyone."

Fuggin yeezy

You rule

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    aaaand I'm stuck on a bug in Dragonfall. Hooray.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    hello friends i am going to eat soup and watch Sunny it is a good day

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    For breakfast, I'm eating a potato chip and ketchup sandwich with two spicy chicken patties in place of bread, a bowl of kettle corn, and the rest of the bag of chips.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    God

I can't hate kanye
    Kanye said that the "voices in his head" told him to go on stage at the Grammys, but that he refrained from grabbing the microphone because he didn't want to take away time from Beck's acceptance speech. "Beck is one of the nicest guys and one of the most respected musicians in the game," he said. "There’s nothing that I will want to do as a fellow musician to disrespect him in any way." He said he misworded his comments and added: "Obviously Beck is one of the most respected artists, and respects artistry."

He also said, "But Taylor Swift came up to me right afterwards, literally right afterwards, and tells me that I should have went on stage. This is the irony of my life."

All well and good. But I love this part:
    In particular, he said he and Swift are planning to collaborate on music. "She wants to get in the studio and we’re definitely going to go in," he said. "Any artist with an amazing point of view, perspective, fan base, I’m down to get in the studio and work."

You don't know how much I love that he included "fan base"

And then this:
    He called himself a "chiropractor," and said he provides jolts of truths in these candid moments. "Everyone feels better after the fact, or everyone is way more famous after the fact, or everyone sells way more albums after the fact, and then Kanye just goes on being an asshole to everyone."

Fuggin yeezy

You rule

what a crock of PR bullshit

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    sorry to be late, but no there is no amount of content a game can have it that would make people not feel ripped off when they log on and immediately see content they can't have unless they pay if they are inclined to feel that way

I don't, personally, but that doesn't seem particularly hard to grasp to me

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    ME2 did a bad and somehow put all the DLC out on xbox live for free, right before the game was out

I logged into Xbox live from school and "bought" all of it, because it is rude not to take advantage of their horrible mistake.

I got a lot of mileage out of the full covering face mask. I got tired of the standard helmet and it was the only other thing available that wasn't goofy as all hell.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Also I kind of wish some of my classmates cared a bit about these classes. It's hard to have a group talk about those disputed Japanese islands when no one says anything but the teacher and I.

GREATER EAST ASIA CO-PROSPERITY

aRkpc.gif
This discussion has been closed.