As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

i'm buff, i'm the stuff, and the wrestling thread just can't get enough!

• Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Man people really think Henry calling Reigns and his generation of wrestlers "young bucks" was a shot at the Young Bucks

really?

If anything being compared to the young bucks is a compliment.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Man people really think Henry calling Reigns and his generation of wrestlers "young bucks" was a shot at the Young Bucks

really?

It wouldn't be the first time.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I'd like to think they wouldn't be that obviously petty, but I just read about them doing their best to prevent Bullet Club from legally being able to use the Too Sweet taunt even while they market their own tag champs as the Brass Ring Club, so welp

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    It's confirmed that vince often uses heel promos to take shots at whoever is pissing him off at the moment

no idea if the Young Bucks comment falls into that but they absolutely would be that petty

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Either way I think it's safe to assume that the Young Bucks will continue to not give a fuck

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    Bullet Club should debut a taunt

it's just the Too Sweet gesture but with the other hand covering it

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I'd like to think they wouldn't be that obviously petty, but I just read about them doing their best to prevent Bullet Club from legally being able to use the Too Sweet taunt even while they market their own tag champs as the Brass Ring Club, so welp

The Too Sweet thing is just for merchandising, they want to sell a shirt with the image on it, not actually stop anyone from using it (edit: well, I mean, they want to stop people from using it on merchandise), and the Brass Ring Club was something Kidd and Cesaro came up with.

I also think Vince would be surprised to learn that there is a tag team out there called the Young Bucks, but that's just me.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Whippy wrote: »
    Wrestling Observer (DIRT SHEEEEETS) says that the Stardust/Goldust feud has been cut short because WWE didn't "think it was working" and Goldust won't be joining the IC Title match

God I hope not that would be so fucking dumb

But if Dustin doesn't show up next week it is probably true

This is all the fault of that shit awful crowd at fastlane and I fucking knew this was going to happen

When did WWE start listening to crowds?

They listen to apathy.

If they canceled every match the fans have been apathetic for the last couple of months, there wouldn't be a Wrestlemania card left.

Dude fucking what?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    How have the fans been apathetic to Hunter/Sting, Rollins/Orton, Bray/Taker, Cena/Rusev, or even Brock/Roman at all?

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    David_T wrote: »

The Too Sweet thing is just for merchandising, they want to sell a shirt with the image on it, not actually stop anyone from using it (edit: well, I mean, they want to stop people from using it on merchandise), and the Brass Ring Club was something Kidd and Cesaro came up with.

I also think Vince would be surprised to learn that there is a tag team out there called the Young Bucks, but that's just me.

The WWE tried to hire the Young Bucks so he has to have some inkling that they exist.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    How have the fans been apathetic to Hunter/Sting, Rollins/Orton, Bray/Taker, or even Brock/Roman at all?

So you think the crowds have been hot for HHH doing promos in the ring while Sting uploads some prerecorded videos to the tron.

Or have they been cheering wildly for Bray Wyatt while he talks nonsense to himself week after week with nary an Undertaker in sight.

Rollins and Orton wasn't even official until a week ago, but they made absolutely everyone look like an imbecile in the build up to it.

And I know even you don't believe that Brock and Roman is going over as well as they hoped it would.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I suppose it would be unnecessarily cynical to suggest that Vince probably would have the same reaction to a number of current WWE wrestlers.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Maximum wrote: »
    How have the fans been apathetic to Hunter/Sting, Rollins/Orton, Bray/Taker, or even Brock/Roman at all?

So you think the crowds have been hot for HHH doing promos in the ring while Sting uploads some prerecorded videos to the tron.

Or have they been cheering wildly for Bray Wyatt while he talks nonsense to himself week after week with nary an Undertaker in sight.

Rollins and Orton wasn't even official until a week ago, but they made absolutely everyone look like an imbecile in the build up to it.

And I know even you don't believe that Brock and Roman is going over as well as they hoped it would.

How did Orton look like an imbecile?

• Options
    And I should have clarified that I think the end result of Roman vs Brock will be good as in the match quality and excitement, even with the crowd being behind Brock.

• Options
    Let's talk less about WM and more about The Young Bucks.

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular

nirya give steve his account back

• Options

https://youtube.com/watch?v=D3PmzUipMuI

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »

i can't believe the commish has account controls!

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoRClRfv4HE

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    SHIMMER!

https://youtu.be/8JI5VTKQ--M

In case people didn't know Shimmer has a show Saturday before Wrestlemania which will be a tournament of some kind and probably be an iPPV.

Magell on
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Schide wrote: »

really?

It wouldn't be the first time.

Yeah, they did try to co-opt "superkick party".

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    Haha I was gonna post the vid wirehead did but he beat me to it.

Then I was gonna post the vid that MrDapper did but he beat me to it.

So...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agc04m1WRXE

• Options
    Watching the last half of this weeks NXT, I swear they keep talking about Tyler Breeze facing "Tommy".

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Mania 30 was too good

so this one must pay

• Options
    Xehalus wrote: »
    Mania 30 was too good

so this one must pay

Even with the lackluster build most think this has, and yes there are some major narrative issues, on paper the event still looks like it could deliver. Pretty much the show will come down to if the main delivers both in workrate and crowd reactions whether for or against Reigns.

• Options
    For reasons beyond my comprehension, I'm now watching the 96 go home Raw before WrestleMania.

They open with Shawn Michaels v. Leif "Pin me, pay me" Cassidy with Bret Hart coming down to do commentary (and Lawler leaving because he's scared of Br--I mean, he left his lights on in his car).

It's so weird to see Al Snow without the moustache that my mind keeps insisting it's there.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Both Hunter and Sting will make sure they bust their asses, same for Bray and Taker. We know what Cena and Rusev can do. The Divas tag should be at least decent. IC ladder match will be a great match if a clusterfuck as well. Orton and Seth of course will be very good. Andre thing will be a BR so whatever. And the tag title match should be solid.

• Options
    I don't see the doom and gloom.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Yes, I have no doubt the matches will be good to great. That doesn't change the fact that they've done little to make me excited about them.

I think that's the real issue here.

• Options
    Maximum wrote: »
    Yes, I have no doubt the matches will be good to great. That doesn't change the fact that they've done little to make me excited about them.

I think that's the real issue here.

Well that is different. I'm not as excited as I was last year either but then again I'm super biased for Mania 30.

But even so if the show delivers that's all that matters.

• Options
    I just think there's a dissonance between the build of this Wrestlemania and the build to others, which Im only saying from hearing others. I started watching again around WM30 so I can't say.

I think there can be a distinction in saying that narratively its very hard to get excited about the WM matches due to the complicated and confusing storytelling. I mentioned this earlier but, look how hot this crowd is. Look at how much people are DYING to see The Shield and The Wyatts fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPQhu7BF0es

I just think people feel like that's lacking in every match here, which is very offputting, ESPECIALLY for wrestlemania. None of us know the future, so yes, I too have faith that a lot of the matches will be super solid. But I also can understand people not being able to the muster the excitement for it as there just isn't a lot to grab hold of and run with.

• Options
    I just think there's a dissonance between the build of this Wrestlemania and the build to others, which Im only saying from hearing others. I started watching again around WM30 so I can't say.

I think there can be a distinction in saying that narratively its very hard to get excited about the WM matches due to the complicated and confusing storytelling. I mentioned this earlier but, look how hot this crowd is. Look at how much people are DYING to see The Shield and The Wyatts fight:

I just think people feel like that's lacking in every match here, which is very offputting, ESPECIALLY for wrestlemania. None of us know the future, so yes, I too have faith that a lot of the matches will be super solid. But I also can understand people not being able to the muster the excitement for it as there just isn't a lot to grab hold of and run with.

What people don't point out about that match is the build was nothing special either. It was just a right place, right time thing with two groups at their primes.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    according to meltz viewership is down ~10% compared to last year's mania season.

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    And I think the crowd knew that was probably the only time that match would happen so it was a special atmosphere.

• Options

What people don't point out about that match is the build was nothing special either. It was just a right place, right time thing with two groups at their primes.

it was two teams who were BOOKED STRONG and had a STRONG CONNECTION WITH THE FANS put in a match TO SEE WHO WAS THE BEST

wrestling's not complicated

• Options

I mean in a way I think that makes this year's Mania booking that much more damnable? They didn't even need to build anything crazy because they were smart enough to tease a brawl between the two hottest things in the company for a few weeks and then they just let them brawl. That's all you need!

We don't need fake Sting teleporting into the ring or lightning to strike a rocking chair or an 8 person scramble to steal the IC belt.

Just book crazy over people to fight other crazy over people. They did the opposite of that this year and booked a bunch of crazy over people to very likely lose to people that many fans just aren't interested in.

• Options
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

it was two teams who were BOOKED STRONG and had a STRONG CONNECTION WITH THE FANS put in a match TO SEE WHO WAS THE BEST

Yeah that's pretty much this years Mania main event except the issue with Roman as a face.

And I guess it's more of an underdog story as well.

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    The Betman wrote: »
    Kilroy wrote: »

i can't believe the commish has account controls!

It's just what's best for business.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

Yeah that's pretty much this years Mania main event except the issue with Roman as a face.

And I guess it's more of an underdog story as well.

The issue is not that Roman is being booked as a face the issue is that nobody wants to see Roman in the ME of wrestlemania taking out a guy who is currently booked as an unstoppable monster.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I've been avoiding this conversation because I generally try to take a "wait and see" approach to shows, but I think to me the biggest issue with storylines heading into WrestleMania is that none of them are organic.

Let's not even get into the Roman discussion - the whole conceit of the Rumble winner getting the main event is already inorganic to begin with. By itself, it would be acceptable if the builds for the other matches made sense.

With the exception of Cena/Rusev, and I guess Sting/HHH (and even then you can't argue that that match is organic in any way), literally every other match has been thrown together in the last few weeks because it's WrestleMania time and we need matches.

It's especially stark contrasted against the fact that the single best storyline the WWE had going, by a huge margin, that had a perfect build toward a payoff at WrestleMania, got suddenly dropped for no kayfabe reason. (And yes, as should be obvious I'm referencing the Dust Bhrodes.)

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
This discussion has been closed.