As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Last [Chat] Out of Saigon

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    A friend's company ran a really successful kickstarter but the development basically reached a point where they can't deliver the product

His backers seem to be of the opinion that he should sell his house to ensure a full refund.

I suppose this is the curse of the perception that kickstarter is a preorder service. Although I'd be pissed off too if this happened to something I'd backed

your friend failed and whoever the project lead is should feel like a piece of shit.
    selling the house is LOLOLOLOL

Edit: Also, it's not a "really successful kickstarter" if they can't deliver the goods. At best they had a "really effective pitch" that people mistakenly threw their money at.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I want a Tinder application that displays prospective RPG players for tabletop games. GMs would swipe right or left on character sheets rather than photos.

Drow? Nope.

Kender? Nope.

Thinly veiled DBZ character? Nope.

Gnome barbarian? Hmmm.

Not sure if "Rollr" or "Dicer" is a better name.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Gonmun wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »
    but why go to tijuana for hookers

Because a roadtrip to Flushing doesn't sound like nearly as much fun.

A roadtrip to Canada even less so.

A road trip to Canada after 21 is just silly.

Now you know why I want a road trip!

Head south and pick me up!

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    skfm why does your stranger danger argument apply only to hookups and not a whole bunch of social interactions with people you've never met before

Boardgame hookups are fraught with danger. Well, they are in my house, anyway.

I checked the rules for Alien Frontier. Apparently you are allowed to wear clothes while playing, this seems to contradict how you taught me the game

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    a5ehren wrote: »
    I want a Tinder application that displays prospective RPG players for tabletop games. GMs would swipe right or left on character sheets rather than photos.

Drow? Nope.

Kender? Nope.

Gnome barbarian? Hmmm.

I like Rollr. The photo could be of you cosplaying as your character instead of a character sheet. It would be funnier.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0bArxJtSnM

That 'Freiza' song is the most DBZ song.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    A card game kickstarter I backed a while ago, which ended up delivering a pretty good product, made a post about how they're doing a re-release of the game with a proper publisher with improved card quality, etc

the comments are full of entitled nerds complaining about how backers should get a discount on the new edition, how the project guy is a charlatan and such for including one of the kickstarter "exclusive" cards in the re-release, etc.

in short, nerds.

• Options
    skfm why does your stranger danger argument apply only to hookups and not a whole bunch of social interactions with people you've never met before

Boardgame hookups are fraught with danger. Well, they are in my house, anyway.

I checked the rules for Alien Frontier. Apparently you are allowed to wear clothes while playing, this seems to contradict how you taught me the game

Next you will be telling me you want your clothes back. The nerve.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    A friend's company ran a really successful kickstarter but the development basically reached a point where they can't deliver the product

His backers seem to be of the opinion that he should sell his house to ensure a full refund.

I suppose this is the curse of the perception that kickstarter is a preorder service. Although I'd be pissed off too if this happened to something I'd backed

your friend failed and whoever the project lead is should feel like a piece of shit.
    selling the house is LOLOLOLOL

Edit: Also, it's not a "really successful kickstarter" if they can't deliver the goods. At best they had a "really effective pitch" that people mistakenly threw their money at.

Yes, successful was the wrong word. And they certainly do feel shitty.

I didn't really follow it in much detail but it does look like they mostly cocked up communication with the backers. So the failure came out of nowhere

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular

Drow? Nope.

Kender? Nope.

Gnome barbarian? Hmmm.

I like Rollr. The photo could be of you cosplaying as your character instead of a character sheet. It would be funnier.

Unfortunately it already exists, as a Tumblr-alternative blogging website

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    HerrCron wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    Wat

How is swiss miss?

It was a fun vacation but it doesn't appear like there is any future there

oh hey! Welcome back!

Did you ever make it as far as Zürich?

Thrice! Stayed the day after flying in, then went back I think Wednesday for a couple of hours in the evening. Then briefly before flying home.

Cool, I was deep in the interview prep mines, so I wasn't really available to organise to go for a pint or anything, but good to hear you enjoyed the trip.

sig.gif
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Because people had so much trouble finding casual sex before Cinders

fixed

cheeky sumbitch

This is a wonderful juxtaposition in dialect

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    wow.

Why are they still making more of that?

Why is it still making obscene amounts of moneys?

• Options

Drow? Nope.

Kender? Nope.

Gnome barbarian? Hmmm.

Bumblr.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

It does not. Do people just go to strangers homes other than for hook ups? If they do, that is bad too!

• Options
    A card game kickstarter I backed a while ago, which ended up delivering a pretty good product, made a post about how they're doing a re-release of the game with a proper publisher with improved card quality, etc

the comments are full of entitled nerds complaining about how backers should get a discount on the new edition, how the project guy is a charlatan and such for including one of the kickstarter "exclusive" cards in the re-release, etc.

in short, nerds.

The exclusive thing might be annoying depending on how it was promised, but the rest of it is just nonsense. They paid for a thing and got a thing. In the process of making the thing the guy learned how to make the thing better and is releasing it again. Hooray that thing you liked has become popular and successful!

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

in short, nerds.

killallnerds.exe

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Tinder charging money is the greatest thing.

What they are doing can be accomplished with the most simple of PHP scripts, and them going full nutso on the pricing (120-240 dollars a year pls) all but guarantees there will be a "new" tinder in the next few months.

They should have gone the Facebook route and figured out how to mine tinder data for money instead of ask for it up front.

or add a damn ad every 20 swipes or something

Yeah, ad bars and (brief) cool down timers every 20-30 swipes that can be countered by watching a 30 second video, all of which could go away for 5 bucks a month, would have made them a shitload more money.

Their system is brain dead easy to replicate.

Scaling it might be an issue.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Hilariously (well, not for me so much) Godus is the first and last time i touched kickstarter

never again

i don't know what i was thinking given my stance on pre-orders, this is just pre-ordering except you're a million times less likley to get a product and it'll be years in the making even if you do

i mean shit, Molyneux said godus would take 9 months to make, that was some time in 2012

that said expecting someone to sell their house to pay back kickstarter backers is moronic, even if kickstarter backers had the rights of real investors (which olol they don't) that's not how business works

Casual on
  • Options
    _J_ wrote: »
    wow.

Why are they still making more of that?

Why is it still making obscene amounts of moneys?

kaaaaaaameeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

• Options

in short, nerds.

The exclusive thing might be annoying depending on how it was promised, but the rest of it is just nonsense. They paid for a thing and got a thing. In the process of making the thing the guy learned how to make the thing better and is releasing it again. Hooray that thing you liked has become popular and successful!

What makes it better is that the dude actually made a post where he actively asked backers if they objected to him including the card in the German release, and the consensus was no

but apparently including it in the new English edition is a step too far

• Options

It does not. Do people just go to strangers homes other than for hook ups? If they do, that is bad too!

Our boardgame day casualty rate is less than 20% I'll have you know.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

is he one of the Delta Six guys

http://kotaku.com/funded-gun-controller-kickstarter-goes-dark-then-asks-1686869539

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Maybe for that one where they spent the funds buying a house rather than working it would be a reasonable response

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    guys I'm bored

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Hilariously (well, not for me so much) Godus is the first and last time i touched kickstarter

never again

i don't know what i was thinking given my stance on pre-orders, this is just pre-ordering except you're a million times less likley to get a product and it'll be years in the making even if you do

i mean shit, Molyneux said godus would take 9 months to make, that was some time in 2012

that said expecting someone to sell their house to pay back kickstarter backers is moronic, even if kickstarter backers had the rights of real investors (which olol they don't) that's not how business works

yeah it's not like Kickstarter is a bank, you don't have to put up shit as collateral

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

never again i don't know what i was thinking given my stance on pre-orders, this is just pre-ordering except you're a million times less likley to get a product and it'll be years in the making even if you do

I have backed two kickstarters.

Shadowrun:Hong Kong. Which was a game already coming out this just added features. And Camelot Unchained who have had the most awesome communications ever for a kickstarter. I get basically an email with a project plan update from them ever day or two. They are open and honest about success and failure. Actively work with the community. And I went in fully knowing I was paying 25 bucks for a game that may not exist but I want badly with a bit of nostalgia.

I don't think I will be disappointed with either.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

Our boardgame day casualty rate is less than 20% I'll have you know.

Strangers that come into my apartment for boardgames typically get yelled at and poisoned.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    beetle9.jpg

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I've backed a fair number of kickstarters and only been burned once, and that was due to undisclosed legal issues coming and bankrupting a company that had previously successfully delivered two other board games via kickstarter

I'm fine with kickstarting things, but I do my due diligence, and have more faith in dudes I know to be excellent

Andy Kitowski ran a campaign for his translation of a roleplaying game and sent me the softcovers instead of the hardcovers I had pledged for - he apologised and shipped me the hardcovers immediately, and said to keep the softcovers for the trouble

for that he has earned my future loyalty in his endeavors

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I mean, we have to pretend "exclusive" means anything for games any more for that one to hold water.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular

All I'm taking from this is that I was supposed to be skinning and eating the people I've let crash at mine after a heavy night out.
    Which, to be fair, would probably have saved on the effort of getting stuff to make breakfast the next day.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    wriggly cat

• Options

in short, nerds.

A 10% discount code probably would have been an appropriate THANK YOU for the early adopters.

• Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »

is he one of the Delta Six guys

http://kotaku.com/funded-gun-controller-kickstarter-goes-dark-then-asks-1686869539

No, triggertrap.

• Options
    beetle9.jpg

idgi

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    the only kickstarter i'd ever back is if the pictures for sad children guy did another one

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    I am super annoyed.

Frigging time warner. Said guy would be here between 8 and 9. To install cable. Tech support advanced calls and is like oh.. We did some trouble shooting on our end does it work now? Nope still not cable outlets in my apartment thanks. Oh the guy is actually scheduled for 9-10? Fantastic.

Guy is supposed to call half hour before he gets here.... Hmmm... Not going to be on time then? So fucking over it.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Maybe for that where they spent the funds buying a house rather than working it would be a reasonable response

well then that sounds more like a fraud sort of thing

i'm assuming anyone who makes a kickstarter will be doing it as a registered company rather than them as an individual (and if they don't they're insane because then they own the debt and will have to issue refunds out their own pocket)

if the person running the company obviously funnels a bunch of cash out of the company in the form of salary or dividends or whatever and into buying themselves a new house (which is pretty hard without losing half of it in tax) they surely must fall afoul of all sorts of existing fraud laws that have been designed to stop people ripping off investors in that exact fashion since forever

making a kickstarter pitch to get funds then siphoning off the cash into your own pocked seems like straight up fraud whatever way you cut it

Casual on
This discussion has been closed.