As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're not doing this in [Movies]

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Because it hasnt been reviewed yet?

0 percent means all negative reviews. So far there has been 11 on the site.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Maybe it's not a very good movie

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

Well

ok yes Tofu that would be the conclusion to draw

I was doing a thing with my surprise that a movie with that cast and director could be that bad

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

From what I've been reading it's a Sean Penn vanity project.

I'm shocked.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

Well

ok yes Tofu that would be the conclusion to draw

I was doing a thing with my surprise that a movie with that cast and director could be that bad

I love Idris Elba, but that man makes a lot of movies I don't want to watch

Sean Penn is...ehhhhh

And that director also made From Paris With Love starring John Travolta

• Options
    I didn't mind Penn until I found out what he did to Madonna.

He can go fuck himself.

• Options
    Honestly, I thought Taken was enjoyable purely because of it reshaping Liam Neeson into a killing machine. Once that surprise factor is gone, it's not really that great of a movie.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Langly wrote: »
    i definitely do not know what they're going to do with Hoffman for the next part, unless he gets written out later in part 1 that I haven't seen yet. He was definitely lifting that movie up.

I read somewhere that he had already filmed most of his scenes and the rest they could do digitally.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    i watched the first half of Mockingjay last night before i had to go to bed, I was surprised at how good it was? it was like, a pretty good movie.

I think it might actually one of the rare times that a franchise is getting better with each sequel. The first was pretty meh, in my opinion, outside of of the costume department, with all too much unmotivated shaky-cam. But the 2 and 3 have gotten quite enjoyable. Looking forward to the next one.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I too watched Mockingjay last night and I agree it was pretty good

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I refuse to watch Mockingjay until I'm spoiled on the end of Part II. If it has the same ending as the book, then I'm not fucking watching either half.

• Options
    Which part of the book's ending would you say upset you

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Anyone expecting a happy ending out of the Hunger Games was kidding themselves

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    I've only read a summary but it seems a perfectly acceptable "losses are suffered but there is hope for the future" sort of deal

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    But [Cinderella] has just enough imagination to blot out the reality of her situation, in ways that make her limper, more accepting of her fate, and especially too polite to talk back. Branagh’s Cinderella doesn’t seem to lack recourse, or even willpower. She just focuses all her will on justifying her circumstances to herself, and on staying politely obedient to people who hate her and go out of their way to hurt her. Evicted from her room and banished to an unfinished, dusty, cluttered attic by her evil stepmother (Cate Blanchett), she tells herself it’ll be good to be somewhere peaceful and out of the way. Robbed of her place, her possessions, and her standing in the household, she tells herself it’s all right, because at least she’s still living in, and duly respecting, her ancestral family home. Asked why she stays on in such a horrible household, she explains that she’s doing it to respect her parents’ memory. By intepreting [sic] “be kind” as “be passive,” she teaches herself to be happy with physical and emotional abuse, to accept it as the norm, as the price of respecting her dead family. It’s a grotesque message, presented with perverse cheer, through a character who’s more idealized martyr than relatable hero.

http://thedissolve.com/features/exposition/958-disneys-new-cinderella-emphasizes-the-fairy-tales-/

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    The ending of the Hunger Games is entirely in keeping with everything that series set up.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    my wife saw Cinderella yesterday and she absolutely loved it, might be her new favorite movie.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Which part of the book's ending would you say upset you
    The part where
    the author does logical loop-de-loops to defeat the entire purpose of Katniss's trials. Surprise Betrayal! Mustache Twirl!

I rank it alongside the beginning of Alien3 as Places They Really Fucking Didn't Need To Go.

I hope that answers your question.

EDIT: No specifics, but spoiler tag regardless.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    From her explanation of the movie I legitimately do not think that the reviewers I follow on the Dissolve or avclub are really capable of taking something without cynicism or irony seriously.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    i definitely do not know what they're going to do with Hoffman for the next part, unless he gets written out later in part 1 that I haven't seen yet. He was definitely lifting that movie up.

I think he had already filmed most of his stuff

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    From her explanation of the movie I legitimately do not think that the reviewers I follow on the Dissolve or avclub are really capable of taking something without cynicism or irony seriously.

I think even a totally sincere movie can inadvertently send a bad message

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

I'm not as familiar with the AVClub's current film team, but the people at the Dissolve don't seem to have that problem, really.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Jesse you know I love Laine but let's be real she likes OUAT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Balefuego wrote: »

Oh man thank you for saying this so I didn't have to

• Options

I would not sat that she likes OUAT, I would say that she definitely watches it. She gets just as mad at it as I do but for some reason she feels compelled to watch it.

I'd definitely say that her enjoyment of Cinderella is way different than her involvement in that mess.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular

I would not sat that she likes OUAT, I would say that she definitely watches it. She gets just as mad at it as I do but for some reason she feels compelled to watch it.

I'd definitely say that her enjoyment of Cinderella is way different than her involvement in that mess.

Or else you're in too deep and you don't know what you're saying.

Both of you.

Prisoners.

• Options
    Sum41_InTooDeep_VideoOFFCICIAL.wmv

• Options

now I've got those tasty, tasty licks stuck in my head

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

Oh good I wasn't the only one

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Wait never mind Fat Lip was the one I liked

• Options
    STORMIN THROUGH THE PARTY LIKE MY NAME WAS EL NINO

• Options
    TRASHED MY OWN HOUSE PARTY CAUSE NOBODY CAME

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Mean Girls is on netflix right now. I would have never watched it if it were not for the hype it gets on this forum, assuming it was just another teen movie. It's pretty great Tina Fey material.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I didn't think there was anything in the book mockingjays' ending which was illogical or didn't follow the steps established in the rest of the books.

Also book spoiler:
    I feel that the only reason that the movies have been highlighting that Snow has a granddaughter is so that she will be at the square with prim, which will be used to help convince katniss that snow didn't have anything to do with what happened, which will be helpful to make the decision she takes plausible since the movie watcher doesn't get access to her internal thought processes

Psykoma on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I think Sum 41 made some great records and I don't care who knows

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    They were like the less cool Blink 182

but in many ways that just makes them more cool, for me

• Options
    edited March 2015
    In continuing "Beauty and the Beast has an amazing cast" news

Emma Thompson has been cast as Mrs. Potts and Kevin Kline has been cast as Belle's father

AtomicTofu on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Okay so

I've never seen the old Cinderella cartoon, but it had singing mice, right?

Did they put that into the new version too?

I only ask because when Emma Watson was cast as Belle in Beauty and the Beast, she talked about how cool it'll be to do the songs from the movie like "Be Our Guest"

Which is totally a song sung by a candelabra and a bunch of teapots, and I didn't know if they were going to get that cartoony with their live-action film

I still have bad memories of Maleficent and, well, everything about it, but especially the awful fairies

• Options
    Wait are they straight up redoing all the songs too?
    Man. I don't know if I can support this

• Options
    Okay so

I've never seen the old Cinderella cartoon, but it had singing mice, right?

Did they put that into the new version too?

I only ask because when Emma Watson was cast as Belle in Beauty and the Beast, she talked about how cool it'll be to do the songs from the movie like "Be Our Guest"

Which is totally a song sung by a candelabra and a bunch of teapots, and I didn't know if they were going to get that cartoony with their live-action film

I still have bad memories of Maleficent and, well, everything about it, but especially the awful fairies

uh I believe there are mice but the extent to which they are used is lessened.

This discussion has been closed.