As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're not doing this in [Movies]

• Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    That joke doesn't have layers, it has folds.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I do not enjoy citizen kane

it is masterpiece of film-making and one of the finest films ever created for a number of reasons

but

I just cannot watch it again

• Options
    12 angry men, however, I can watch whenever and still be amazed

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJydMo4dgKk

I'm not really a classic film person, I'd like to be one but I watch most of my films on DVD and I don't see very many classics being sold. Sci fi classics are a little easier to get a hold of so I tend to watch those.

• Options
    TLHTLH Registered User regular
    Citizen Kane is good, and totally worth watching, but I never feel like I want to watch it now that I have.
    12 Angry Men however, is great and I would be in a weird mood if I didn't want to watch it.
    Highlander is hard to place, I want to say it's like bottom of the barrel terrible, but I am aware of Highlander 2. So I guess it is as bad as a movie can be without being any sort of sequel to Highlander.

• Options
    TLHTLH Registered User regular
    But also, I may be in a weird mood if I don't want to see Highlander again.

Feelings are weird.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Highlander could really use a remake. It's a great premise that suffered from low budget 80s action movie production. Also bring back Sean Connor, I don't think he's ages so it's perfect.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    TheStig wrote: »
    Highlander could really use a remake. It's a great premise that suffered from low budget 80s action movie production. Also bring back Sean Connor, I don't think he's ages so it's perfect.

Sean Connor, John Connor's alternate universe younger brother?

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    It has the cheesy elements to be sure but I legit love the performances from Lambert, Connery and Brown

• Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    That's why I come to these forums, so I can hear people compare Citizen Kane and Highlander. . .

No. Wait. The opposite of that.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    That's why I come to these forums, so I can hear people compare Citizen Kane and Highlander. . .

what is the opposite of comparing citizen kane and highlander

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »

Sean Connor, John Connor's alternate universe younger brother?

Sean Connery

I'm blaming auto correct on that one.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

what is the opposite of comparing citizen kane and highlander
    Contrasting Citizen Kane and Highlander, duh

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Fuck you blank.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    what's the opposite of getting ghosted

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I watch Casablanca several times a year
    I've seen Citizen Kane once, and I recognize what a milestone it is and how important it is to the history of film, but I never want to see it again

• Options
    what's the opposite of getting ghosted

This one I've got, being born of course.

• Options
    Singin' In The Rain is another movie that holds up really well today. Like, that's a really good, really entertaining movie.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    12 angry men becomes even more amazing when you consider that it was shot almost entirely in one room, over a very short period of time, with an ensemble cast, it makes you feel for characters that don't even get names until the last two minutes of the film, and it doesn't feel dated at all despite its age

fuck that movie so good

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Singin' In The Rain is another movie that holds up really well today. Like, that's a really good, really entertaining movie.

Yeah, that's a fun little movie right there.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Yeah, that's a fun little movie right there.

Make 'em laugh, right?

Have you seen the JGL live performance of that on SNL? Incredible.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    But we can never have a Samurai Jack movie because Aku, the Shape-Shifting Master of Evil, has no voice.

I mean, I love Mako as much as the next guy (I even watched his last live action role, a stinker called Rise Blood Hunter), but I'm sure someone else could do Aku, the Shape-Shifting Master of Darkness who Unleashed an Unspeakable Evil.

Wrong ethnicity, I know (do eternal demonic metamorphs have an ethnicity, really?), but I kinda want to hear Benedict Wong's take on Aku after witnessing him as Kublai Khan in Marco Polo.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I think Sean Connery has, in fact aged. I remember reading a sad article about him a few months ago. He went senile.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I think Sean Connery has, in fact aged. I remember reading a sad article about him a few months ago. He went senile.

Got a link? I've not heard of this

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I've only seen Seven Samurai, but Kurosawa's movies seem surprisingly watchable even now

If you told me I would watch a 3 and a half hour black and white movie that is entirely in Japanese from 60 years ago and really really enjoy it I would never believe you because I'm a real dummy with no attention span whatsoever

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I always assume he's looking really old or sick or something.

I mean, I can't remember the last time I've actually seen him in public.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I've only seen Seven Samurai, but Kurosawa's movies seem surprisingly watchable even now

If you told me I would watch a 3 and a half hour black and white movie that is entirely in Japanese from 60 years ago and really really enjoy it I would never believe you because I'm a real dummy with no attention span whatsoever

I fucking love his movies. Check out Throne of Blood and Rashomon if you haven't. They don't reach the same super highs as Seven Samurai (in my opinion of course) but they're beautiful and high energy and just great all around.

And of course there's Yojimbo. It kinda fails a little today, because there are bits that are meant to be funny or something and they just fall deathly flat, but the bits where our protagonist is a bad ass is the fucking bed rock all bad asses are carved from.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Connery is 84 now and looked pretty worn down at the U.S. Open in 2012 which was his last public appearance to date.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I definitely need to see Rashomon and Hidden Fortress, for starters

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    highlander was a documentary and the events transpired in real time

alert the internet

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Peter Ebel wrote: »

I fucking love his movies. Check out Throne of Blood and Rashomon if you haven't. They don't reach the same super highs as Seven Samurai (in my opinion of course) but they're beautiful and high energy and just great all around.

And of course there's Yojimbo. It kinda fails a little today, because there are bits that are meant to be funny or something and they just fall deathly flat, but the bits where our protagonist is a bad ass is the fucking bed rock all bad asses are carved from.

And the intro theme, by cripes the intro theme

https://youtube.com/watch?v=7IHLoKZcwC0

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    But we can never have a Samurai Jack movie because Aku, the Shape-Shifting Master of Evil, has no voice.

I mean, I love Mako as much as the next guy (I even watched his last live action role, a stinker called Rise Blood Hunter), but I'm sure someone else could do Aku, the Shape-Shifting Master of Darkness who Unleashed an Unspeakable Evil.

Wrong ethnicity, I know (do eternal demonic metamorphs have an ethnicity, really?), but I kinda want to hear Benedict Wong's take on Aku after witnessing him as Kublai Khan in Marco Polo.

You're probably right, I've gone "No one can ever do this again" a bunch of times and been pleasantly surprised all over the place.

And frankly, the writing for Aku was so good, I'd jump at the chance to line a bunch of character actors up and just let 'em have at it.

Mako, though.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Citizen Kane was so dark I could barely see what was going on throughout the entire film. I was also super bored, because I don't really care about a wealthy industrialist who feels regret over his lost childhood.

So I understand that it Changed Everything and is a super important movie, but it's really not for me.

I will watch me the hell out of some 12 Angry Men or Mr. Smith Goes to Washington though. Which I haven't in a long while, I should fix that.

• Options
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Peter Ebel wrote: »

And the intro theme, by cripes the intro theme

https://youtube.com/watch?v=7IHLoKZcwC0

Japanese music from the 60s is completely bananas.

I've never heard any music from 60/70's Japan and not had it totally blow my mind. Genre is of no consequence.

Watching the old Shinsengumi 70s TV series was such a fuckin' hoot. It was usually on right after school before the animus started.

• Options

rashomon is like the procedural cop drama

it established the entire genre

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Akira Kurosawa is on or possibly above the level of Hitchcock or Leone.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Goddammit

I just realized I should have grabbed some Kurosawa on that Criterion sale

Now I'm sitting here with these Wes Anderson movies, like a sap

I do actually have the Criterion DVDs of Yojimbo, The Hidden Fortress and that sweet reissue of Seven Samurai they put out a couple years ago

I would have loved to grab those in HD though

Right now my Criterion collection is standing at:

DVD
    Do the Right Thing
    The Hidden Fortress
    Seven Samurai
    Yojimbo

Blu-ray
    Bottle Rocket
    The Darjeeling Limited
    Godzilla
    A Hard Day's Night
    The Life Aquatic
    The Royal Tenenbaums
    Rushmore

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

You're probably right, I've gone "No one can ever do this again" a bunch of times and been pleasantly surprised all over the place.

And frankly, the writing for Aku was so good, I'd jump at the chance to line a bunch of character actors up and just let 'em have at it.

Mako, though.

Especially with voice actors

like there are people who stepped into the shoes of popeye and porky pig, which are incredibly difficult voices

I'm sure someone could and they could do it tastefully

won't ever happen but they could

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I should really see some Kurosowa too.

I think Kagemusha is still on netflix.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    One of my favorite parts of having a Hulu Plus subscription (or a login for one anyway) is they have the entire Criterion collection available. Still a bunch of Kurosawas I haven't gotten to but that's how I watched Hidden Fortress, Yojimbo, Rashomon, re-watched Seven Samurai, all fantastic.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
This discussion has been closed.