The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

old d3 thread is old

NogginNoggin Registered User regular
edited August 2015 in Games and Technology
LHB88gh.png
PA Clan - The Merch Hungers
Join the community PAF to request an invite!

Clan membership
Everyone from the forum is absolutely welcome to join! However, it is important to remember that there is a cap of 150 players. The clan needs to keep space available for new and returning players, especially just before a new patch or season.

Unfortunately, this means players that have been missing for 2-3 months may lose their spot. Don't Panic! Even if you find yourself removed from the clan, you are always welcome to return!

Patch 2.3 ( August 25 ) - Season 4 August 28th 5 PM PDT / 8 PM EDT
  • Ruins of Sescheron & Kanai's Cube (mats from caches)
  • Season Journey tracks your progress in season 4, unlocking a pet and player portraits
  • New difficulty levels - Torment VII through X
  • NO. MORE. TRIALS.
  • Keywardens drop machines and Hellfire Amulets will have sockets
  • Bonus acts reward an extra cache and set a new bonus act

Brief Class Highlights
  • Barbarian: IK6 buffed to 250% damage, new HotA & Seismic Slam builds
  • Crusader: NEW SET Seeker of the Light - Blessed Hammer build
  • Demon Hunter: New Multishot bow, damage reduction bracers & generator dps belt
  • Monk: NEW SET Uliana's Stratagem - Seven-Sided Strike & Exploding Palm build. Shenlong's generator builds.
  • Witch Doctor: Helltooth & Manajuma updates & NEW SET Spirit of Arachyr - Spider/Hex/"Creature" build
  • Wizard: Vyr's & Chantodo's updates, Archon build

Season 4 exclusives
Bane of the Stricken
New Legendary Gem
Each attack you make against an enemy increases the damage it takes from your attacks by 0.8%
Damage bonus is increased by 0.01% per rank
Gain 25% increased damage against Rift Guardians and bosses at rank 25

Barbarian
Dishonored Legacy
New Mighty Weapon
Cleave deals up to 300-400% increased damage based on percentage of missing Fury

Crusader
Sacred Harness
New Legendary Belt
Judgment - Debilitate is cast at your landing location when casting Falling Sword

Demon Hunter
The Demon's Demise
New Legendary Hand Crossbow
Spike Trap - Sticky Trap spreads to nearby enemies when it explodes

Monk
Lion's Claw
New Legendary Fist Weapon
Seven-Sided Strike performs an additional 7 strikes

Witch Doctor
Henri's Perquisition
New Mojo
The first time an enemy deals damage to you, reduce that damage by 60-80% and Charm the enemy for 3 seconds

Wizard
Fazula's Improbable Chain
New Legendary Belt
You automatically start with 15-20 Archon stacks when entering Archon form

Finally, some other helpful resources from the previous OPs: - Thanks to Previous Thread makers Skab, GoodKingJayIII, Bethryn, Shen, SkutSkut, HexDex, _J_, and Noggin

Battletag: Noggin#1936 || PSN: Noggin37 || Steam
Noggin on
«13456799

Posts

  • SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Let us see how you fare in my Realm of Terrrrroooorrr.

    B.Net: Saldonas#1623 -- WoW: Viral, Death Knight
    Path of Exile: Carthuun -- https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Carthuun/characters
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Saldonas wrote: »
    Let us see how you fare in my Realm of Terrrrroooorrr.

    The end of the thread title was <Terror-Murdering Hipsters> but it got clipped

    I guess maybe <> is reserved for something, or it was too long

    Battletag: Noggin#1936 || PSN: Noggin37 || Steam
  • SneakmanSneakman Registered User regular
    I've been maining Crusader for the past ~500 hours of play, but seeing all of the videos that MannerCookie has been making regarding the PTR Barbarian changes has me seriously consider going Barb for patch 2.2. I watched him clear a GR 61 with 4 barbs like it was nothing. It seriously reminds me of the 1.0.8-era D3 where perma-Wrath barbs made all other classes redundant.

    Diablo 3 | Sneakman#1625 | S9 Multishot Demon Hunter
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I've been meaning to ask...is it not possible to reroll the primary stat on an ancient weapon or something? I have a kickass Executioner that rolled with Intelligence, and I can't reroll it to Strength for some reason.

    camo_sig2.png

    3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    If you're trying to reroll it as an Int class, that's why you're not getting strength.

    Also, man did my sheet damage take a dive after rerolling to CDR.

    Saldonas on
    B.Net: Saldonas#1623 -- WoW: Viral, Death Knight
    Path of Exile: Carthuun -- https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Carthuun/characters
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I've been meaning to ask...is it not possible to reroll the primary stat on an ancient weapon or something? I have a kickass Executioner that rolled with Intelligence, and I can't reroll it to Strength for some reason.
    You're rerolling it with the strength class?

    shadowane on
    Rich on Beer - I talk about drinking beer. You read about it.
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Actually I'm rerolling as a Dex class. That may be the issue. Maybe it can't roll with Dex? I'll try with Strength. Thanks

    camo_sig2.png

    3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • SneakmanSneakman Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Actually I'm rerolling as a Dex class. That may be the issue. Maybe it can't roll with Dex? I'll try with Strength. Thanks

    You can only reroll the main stat of an item (STR, INT, DEX) to the main stat of the class you're currently playing. So if you're playing a wizard or witch doctor, you can only reroll the main stat to INT. If you want to roll the main stat to STR, you need to enchant it while playing a crusader or barbarian.

    Diablo 3 | Sneakman#1625 | S9 Multishot Demon Hunter
  • HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    Saldonas wrote: »
    Let us see how you fare in my Realm of Terrrrroooorrr.

    The end of the thread title was <Terror-Murdering Hipsters> but it got clipped

    I guess maybe <> is reserved for something, or it was too long

    <> invokes HTML in thread titles. Change the <> to [] or {} or something.

    If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, LoL: Venteri. CFN: DireOtter

  • ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    Column wrote: »
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I also need to clear out a bunch of legendaries, but I have the "but what if I neeeeeeeeeed it later?" blues.
    This one, while no less annoying, is pretty simple overall. You keep one of every item with a unique affix as a base, you just never know what they're going to do to the effect or how they'll tweak some skill that all of a sudden makes some formerly useless legendary something fun to use for a build.

    Where it gets annoying and eats up space like crazy is with things you know you want multiples of due to main stat or armor skill % rolls, like helm, boots, chest, and shoulders, where having a multiple repeats makes sense. Even if you're only keeping a few repeats on weapons and skill % 's for a class or two this adds up fast, and only gets worse from there if you like being able to cycle builds on three or more classes.
    Wrong thread earlier.

  • SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    So, back to holy shotgun. It seems like Mirinae and Trapped are both quite good with my setup. What about my third gem? At the moment I'm using a Gogok, but I'm at work so I haven't been able to play with other alternatives. I'm assuming using a third gem far outweighs something like using an amulet with Str/CHC/CHD/Holy%?

    I'm also debating on my AC rune, between Firestarter for more DPS and Prophet, since I feel pretty squishy without it.

    B.Net: Saldonas#1623 -- WoW: Viral, Death Knight
    Path of Exile: Carthuun -- https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Carthuun/characters
  • RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Not to offend, hopefully, but I have a different view on Seasons.

    Personally, I really enjoy them. They give me a chance to play the game again with a fresh start and with people I don't normally get to play with. I typically only play casually so it's nice to be able to play with people who are on similar footing.

    As much as I would love to play with SkyandPie, Rolo, and Inquisitor, it'd be rather pointless from my perspective. You all are so far ahead in terms gear and paragon level that anything you touch will instantly explode. I'd basically be chasing guys around as a glorified backpack. The only time that won't be true is greater rifts, but anything even remotely challenging for you there would be nothing but 1 shot instant kills left and right for me.

    So while it does fracture the community, there are some benefits to it that I enjoy.

    SmoogyBlackDragon480PrjctD_CaptainMahnmutDoctorArch
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Null Registered User regular
    yeah the leveling off of gear is the nice part of seasons. but I don't think they should leave the new gear season exclusive. also seasons are too long.

    B.net: Naphtali#1830 | Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | PSN: EI-Naphtali | Wish List
  • DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Roz wrote: »
    Personally, I really enjoy them. They give me a chance to play the game again with a fresh start and with people I don't normally get to play with. I typically only play casually so it's nice to be able to play with people who are on similar footing.

    As much as I would love to play with SkyandPie, Rolo, and Inquisitor, it'd be rather pointless from my perspective. You all are so far ahead in terms gear and paragon level that anything you touch will instantly explode. I'd basically be chasing guys around as a glorified backpack.

    Speaking as someone that was a human backpack last night for two or three runs, yes, I did not contribute much but if I even did something similar a couple nights a week I would catch up fast. In those few runs I went from Paragon 70ish to 85ish (I forget) and came away with a couple of items that gave me enough of a boost to move from soloing T3 to T4 content. If I ever quit being lazy and make some decent gems to socket I'm sure I could boost that further.

    I console myself in the belief that my presence added a buff to their loot quality and quantity.

    steam_sig.png
  • ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    I console myself in the belief that my presence added a buff to their loot quality and quantity.
    It literally does.

    That buff you get by being, relatively, on the same screen as other people increases everyones gains. And while quality is the same no matter what you're doing you actually do get a quality bump, overall, since you can trade with the people you're playing with. Since that's the only way you can trade you can often replace your terribly rolled item X with that super sweet one of the other three people got, but since it's their fifth one, they just want to give it to someone who can make use it.

    ringswraithSkyAndPieInquisitor77
  • SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I think leveling my gems was the main, single, reason that I opted to keep at it with my seasonal crusader instead of hopping back over to my non-seasonal characters. I'm kind of glad I did, since I finally found a decent weapon.

    B.Net: Saldonas#1623 -- WoW: Viral, Death Knight
    Path of Exile: Carthuun -- https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Carthuun/characters
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    Roz wrote: »
    Not to offend, hopefully, but I have a different view on Seasons.

    Personally, I really enjoy them. They give me a chance to play the game again with a fresh start and with people I don't normally get to play with. I typically only play casually so it's nice to be able to play with people who are on similar footing.

    As much as I would love to play with SkyandPie, Rolo, and Inquisitor, it'd be rather pointless from my perspective. You all are so far ahead in terms gear and paragon level that anything you touch will instantly explode. I'd basically be chasing guys around as a glorified backpack. The only time that won't be true is greater rifts, but anything even remotely challenging for you there would be nothing but 1 shot instant kills left and right for me.

    So while it does fracture the community, there are some benefits to it that I enjoy.

    I am literally offended to not be included in that illustrious list of personages

    GoodKingJayIII
  • HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Roz wrote: »
    Not to offend, hopefully, but I have a different view on Seasons.

    Personally, I really enjoy them. They give me a chance to play the game again with a fresh start and with people I don't normally get to play with. I typically only play casually so it's nice to be able to play with people who are on similar footing.

    As much as I would love to play with SkyandPie, Rolo, and Inquisitor, it'd be rather pointless from my perspective. You all are so far ahead in terms gear and paragon level that anything you touch will instantly explode. I'd basically be chasing guys around as a glorified backpack. The only time that won't be true is greater rifts, but anything even remotely challenging for you there would be nothing but 1 shot instant kills left and right for me.

    So while it does fracture the community, there are some benefits to it that I enjoy.

    I am literally offended to not be included in that illustrious list of personages

    No one willingly admits to grouping with a melee wizard.

    If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, LoL: Venteri. CFN: DireOtter

    SaldonasInquisitor77GoodKingJayIII3clipseSmoogyMegamaniacoFoolOnTheHill
  • SkyAndPieSkyAndPie Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Saldonas wrote: »
    So, back to holy shotgun. It seems like Mirinae and Trapped are both quite good with my setup. What about my third gem? At the moment I'm using a Gogok, but I'm at work so I haven't been able to play with other alternatives. I'm assuming using a third gem far outweighs something like using an amulet with Str/CHC/CHD/Holy%?

    I'm also debating on my AC rune, between Firestarter for more DPS and Prophet, since I feel pretty squishy without it.

    Holy Shotgun really, really prefers Prophet. There is just no way to stand toe-to-toe with Firestarter unless you're casting a fire rune from far away like Fist of Heavens, Ascendancy, or a Pet Sader with Bowmen. Firestarter, well, also requires a person to stack fire damage so the DOT isn't as spectacular if he/she started stacking Holy for Fires of Heaven. Prophet also gives you another second life which is invaluable for greater rifts. You get 2 second lives with Prophet and Indestructible passive. I think Wizard is the only other class with 2 second lives (one from passive and one from Firebird).

    Top gems for Holy Shotgun would be Bane of the Trapped at 25 to self proc, Mirinae, and the third one is your preference. If toughness is an issue, I would toss in one of those new legendary gems that give you resistance. Or if you're feeling more comfortable when you swap to Prophet, you can go Bane of the Powerful for more DPS. Taeguk is pretty decent as well if you like stacking DPS and armor. Wreath of Lightning is good for AOE since it procs 1,000% damage per second for x seconds. Holy Shotgun's AOE is so-so compared to Condemn so the Wreath can fill in the gap. You could use Pain Enhancer for the DOT if you feel like you're using too many Fires of Heaven casts to kill a pack of mobs.

    It's fairly flexible as to what 3rd gem you use. Experiment and see what you prefer.

    EDIT: It's always better to have a socket in an amulet. Legendary gems are so powerful you can't just say nope. The gems can get even better over time when you upgrade whereas your amulet is static.

    SkyAndPie on
    Diablo 3: SkyAndPie#1551
    GethSaldonas
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Got a full set of marauders on my DH, as well as a decent (not good, i'll roll an actually good one if I get a spare gift) ancient arcane barb

    The four piece and barb took me to torment 5. hitting 6 got me to clear grift 34, without a unity even.

    I'm using a build I shamelessly stole from @Al_wat I think it was. The Ice Cluster arrow + ice sentry + wolf + the extra hatred Evasive Fire. It seems real good but I definitely have some major issues with damage consistency. With a unity I could probably push grift 35 or 36, but I can't fathom hitting 40+ with it. Cluster arrow just costs so much hatred, even with 35% resource reduction. And it's sooo sloooow to generate with the low attack speed of arcane barb.

    That said, I don't have a bombardier's yet, nor a good cold damage amulet to put a third legendary gem in. Just not entirely sure if I'm having as much fun with it as I have with my hydra wizard. It's a very odd playstyle.

    I definitely think the female demon hunter in full marauders is the best looking model in the game, though. So bad ass.

  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    bombardier's is a huuuuuuge dps increase

    that + unity would easily get you over 40

    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
    Al_wat
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    Well I got my crusader to a place where I'm happy:

    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/RandomEngy-1829/hero/57762652

    I got a Baleful remnant eventually but the damage was kind of sad. Though I'm still pleased with how far the Bombard build has gotten me. It may not be so crazy as a Wave of Light/EP monk, but I got to where my FotH and bombard hits would crit for 40-50m. Having 10 of those rain down for free every 7 seconds is solid enough to do well in T6, and I just love the chaos.

    Anyway I think I'll put D3 down until the patch hits and I can try out Roland's. 256 paragon levels and not a single gift though, bleh.

    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Got a full set of marauders on my DH, as well as a decent (not good, i'll roll an actually good one if I get a spare gift) ancient arcane barb

    The four piece and barb took me to torment 5. hitting 6 got me to clear grift 34, without a unity even.

    I'm using a build I shamelessly stole from @Al_wat I think it was. The Ice Cluster arrow + ice sentry + wolf + the extra hatred Evasive Fire. It seems real good but I definitely have some major issues with damage consistency. With a unity I could probably push grift 35 or 36, but I can't fathom hitting 40+ with it. Cluster arrow just costs so much hatred, even with 35% resource reduction. And it's sooo sloooow to generate with the low attack speed of arcane barb.

    That said, I don't have a bombardier's yet, nor a good cold damage amulet to put a third legendary gem in. Just not entirely sure if I'm having as much fun with it as I have with my hydra wizard. It's a very odd playstyle.

    I definitely think the female demon hunter in full marauders is the best looking model in the game, though. So bad ass.

    get yourself that act 3 cache helm, it is basically mandatory for good resource management. You can also use hex pants if you can stand stutter stepping, or a cindercoat for a fire variant. Fire and phys variants both work, i like cold for the ease of using cull of the weak + trapped gem.

    Craft a reapers wraps, it is also mandatory. then work on gambling that rucksack.

    it is definitely capable of hitting 40+. i was doing high 30s solo and it was relatively easy. (note: i was using unity).

    the trick to playing it is obvs resource management. you are constantly balancing an economy of hatred and number of sentry counters you have stored and deployed.

    Al_wat on
    PSN: AWATTT66| XBox Live: AWATTT66| Steam: AL-WAT| Battle.Net: ALWATTS #1320
    Origin: aiwatt
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    How do you effectively manage sentries and hatred in grifts as a DH anyway?

    I'm mainly using mine to instaclear t6 rifts now, since you basically kill hero packs with accidental damage from sentries, and rift guardians in 2 seconds or so. But once I can't oneshot everything and get healing orbs for more oneshotting it gets a lot more complicated.

  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    How do you effectively manage sentries and hatred in grifts as a DH anyway?

    I'm mainly using mine to instaclear t6 rifts now, since you basically kill hero packs with accidental damage from sentries, and rift guardians in 2 seconds or so. But once I can't oneshot everything and get healing orbs for more oneshotting it gets a lot more complicated.

    1) Stack as much RCR as you can get

    2) Use the Night Stalker passive (or Blood Vengeance)

    3) Put Evasive Fire (cold) on your bar

    4) You have to manage your Hatred much more proactively. Instead of just dumping full-bore, go Spender-Generator-Spender-Generator-Generator-Spender-etc. You don't have to stay topped up, but at least keep some Hatred in reserve so you can drop sentries when necessary. Also, most of your damage is in rockets, and there is at least a few seconds of delay between when you shoot and when the rockets do damage. Not spamming gives the rockets a chance to do their thing.

    5) Actively monitor how many globes are on the map and when your Prep is going to be up from cooldown. If there is a globe available or Prep is going to be up soon, you can empty your Hatred, grab the globe/hit Prep, pop a couple spenders, and then resume your normal firing pattern.

    6) People forget that hitting Companion will grab every single globe on the screen. This is usually a bad thing, as each globe is individually worth way more than the damage buff you get from wolf cry. You generally want to hit Companion when there are no or <2 globes available to pick up (e.g., early on in a fight). Any more than that, you are better off delaying its use until you've picked up a few of the globes or you're in a situation where you can't grab them anyway so you might as well pop it. This happens often enough that you should be able to hit Companion basically whenever it is on cooldown. Also, if both Prep and Companion are up, hit Companion first (not a huge deal, but every bit helps). Otherwise, don't bother waiting for Companion to use Prep.

    7) For sentry management, keep 1-2 sentries always available on cooldown. The only time you really need to drop everything as quickly as possible is when you have just entered a new area and there is a pack that needs to get killed ASAP (or if you're on a cramped map and your old sentries can't hit the pack). Otherwise, you are much better off just dropping one off every once in a while in a strategic location (such as in-between rooms). You also generally want to push each new sentry as far forward as possible, so that you are maintaining overlapping fields of fire as you continue to push.

    8) If you're playing solo, feel free to kite as much as you want, whenever you want. As long as your sentries can keep hitting the mobs, it doesn't matter where on the map you are. You save a ton of hatred and sentry cooldown time by moving forward, hitting as many mobs as possible, and then pulling them back into the last room where you have 3+ sentries already waiting.

    a.k.a. Antaeus or Nubmonger

    -A digital receiver in an analog world.
    HexDexAl_wat
  • SkyAndPieSkyAndPie Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    How do you effectively manage sentries and hatred in grifts as a DH anyway?

    I'm mainly using mine to instaclear t6 rifts now, since you basically kill hero packs with accidental damage from sentries, and rift guardians in 2 seconds or so. But once I can't oneshot everything and get healing orbs for more oneshotting it gets a lot more complicated.

    In solo you have to balance between casting a generator and spender. Stacking as much resource cost reduction really does help in those long fights too. You could Blood Vengeance passive to get back Hatred. I know using the word "generator" is like a dirty word in Diablo but for Demon Hunters I think it's a fair trade off for 1 billion DPS bursts. Heaven forbid Demon Hunters have to actually manage resource now and use a generate for x seconds. If they had endless Hatred then Demon Hunters would be even more overpowered...

    People tend to cast Sentries too many times and that eats up Hatred so be more aware about each sentry placement to make it the most effective. Sentries themselves actually last a really long time. Just place them in an open area and in a good vantage point on all the mobs. If you're running Cull of the Weak with Polar Sentry, just make sure you place a sentry on top of the elite and the rest further away to proc Zei's gem.

    Demon Hunter in a group is a different story where resource management mechanic is trashed and you have Demon Hunters running rampant across the leader boards. When they pair with a "0dog" Witch Doctor using legacy gear to generate endless globes.Thank goodness Blizzard nerfed Final Gift for Witch Doctors. No more infinite globes in patch 2.2.

    SkyAndPie on
    Diablo 3: SkyAndPie#1551
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    yeah

    thank goodness

    Inquisitor77Walt
  • AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    Question:

    I've got DH. I've got two pieces of mauders and a rucksack, with the rest of my equipment being good, but not great. I can easily clear a VI rift by myself. I can finish a 21-22 GR with time to spare (I haven't tried much higher than that).

    My question is, should I bother with GRs? I am still trying to complete my outfitting. Except for leveling up my gems (which is admittedly nice) I do't see the upside to GRs in terms of potential for gear (as compared to regular VI rifts). I'm not missing something obvious, am I?

  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    GR is more of a post T6 activity, but if you enjoy doing them there is no reason not to.

    PSN:GeneiDjinn XBL:Top Hat Panda Steam:Top Hat Panda Battle.net:Walt#1813
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    I could just say "sure!" but ultimately, you should play the game in whatever way feels rewarding to you.

    GRs serve to level gems, offer "competition", and can be a good source of legendaries because the GR Guardian will pretty reliable drop some.

    If they stop being fun, or you feel you can get more out of T6, there's nothing wrong with ignoring GRs.

    Battletag: Noggin#1936 || PSN: Noggin37 || Steam
  • AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    Thanks!

    From a gameplay perspective I like racing through them trying to beat the clock. From a gearing up perspective they haven't been as fruitful as regular old t6 rifts.

    I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Right now I just do a little of both.

  • SkyAndPieSkyAndPie Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Asharad wrote: »
    Question:

    I've got DH. I've got two pieces of mauders and a rucksack, with the rest of my equipment being good, but not great. I can easily clear a VI rift by myself. I can finish a 21-22 GR with time to spare (I haven't tried much higher than that).

    My question is, should I bother with GRs? I am still trying to complete my outfitting. Except for leveling up my gems (which is admittedly nice) I do't see the upside to GRs in terms of potential for gear (as compared to regular VI rifts). I'm not missing something obvious, am I?

    Yup, greater rifts can be ignored if you like but there are some benefits playing them if you like the game mode or optimizing time spent.

    Greater rifts are nice because you don't have to worry about picking up 1,000 Veil Crystals one at a time. So if you just wanna bash monsters without distraction, it's a nice alternative.

    If you want to farm legendaries you could do greater rifts between 35-40. 35-40 leveled greater rifts give you more loot/blood shard/experience per time spent than Torment 6 rifts would (assuming you can destroy Torment 6 with one button). Or at least it feels that way when I see a pile of goodies at the end (averaging 4-5 legendaries per greater rift). Greater rifts between 25-30 usually give me 1-3 legendaries at a time.

    Competition is another aspect that Noggin and Walt mentioned. Trying to get on the Solo leader boards is fun for some. 2-4 player leader boards are broken in terms of gearing but possible to get on.

    You can also put on your tin foil hat when I think I get more ultra rare items in higher greater rifts. Both my Starmetal Kukris came from Greater Rifts. I also got 2 Gyrfalcon's Footes drops from at the same time from a RG and those are ultra rare for Crusaders.

    SkyAndPie on
    Diablo 3: SkyAndPie#1551
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    my tin foil hat theory is that key wardens drop better stuff. i found two gifts and an ancient bombardiers from wardens the other day.

    also: does anyone want to do some serious (non season) uber killing sometime next week? maybe even the weekend (sat march 28 /sun 29)? i have about 30 machines right now, i will have more by then. i understand it can be gruelling so maybe we can set up different times or something. i could easily grind these out myself but i feel like it is a waste without a full group.

    PSN: AWATTT66| XBox Live: AWATTT66| Steam: AL-WAT| Battle.Net: ALWATTS #1320
    Origin: aiwatt
    Geth
  • SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    my tin foil hat theory is that key wardens drop better stuff. i found two gifts and an ancient bombardiers from wardens the other day.

    also: does anyone want to do some serious (non season) uber killing sometime next week? maybe even the weekend (sat march 28 /sun 29)? i have about 30 machines right now, i will have more by then. i understand it can be gruelling so maybe we can set up different times or something. i could easily grind these out myself but i feel like it is a waste without a full group.

    I could probably get my monk or crusader set up for some uber killing by then. Getting some carries for a bit for some gear of course would greatly be appreciated. =D

    B.Net: Saldonas#1623 -- WoW: Viral, Death Knight
    Path of Exile: Carthuun -- https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Carthuun/characters
  • rwextremerwextreme Registered User regular
    Around 570ish paragon into S2 with almost all of that play on WD and SMK is still a myth. Around paragon 500 is when I started to submit to the voices in my head and rolled a 2nd WD justifying that I'd have one as Jade and another as pet. Last night I rolled a 3rd after the voices convinced me that nah, you won't be trying to overcome bad RNG in vain with a new WD again and you'll be able to have the third always ready to roll as zdps. I'm sure that if I get one, it will be like S1 and it will drop a week or so before the end of the season - that's how it went down then, gambled one from Kadala and then no later than 30 minutes after in the same game one dropped off a pack.

    If the voices in my head convince me to roll a 4th seasonal WD and justify it because then I could have one always in Helltooth gear... PM me for my address so you can give me a solid beating.

    Sneakman
  • SkyAndPieSkyAndPie Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    my tin foil hat theory is that key wardens drop better stuff. i found two gifts and an ancient bombardiers from wardens the other day.

    also: does anyone want to do some serious (non season) uber killing sometime next week? maybe even the weekend (sat march 28 /sun 29)? i have about 30 machines right now, i will have more by then. i understand it can be gruelling so maybe we can set up different times or something. i could easily grind these out myself but i feel like it is a waste without a full group.

    Still looking for a GG Hellfire Amulet for my Witch Doctor. I'm free on weekends! Probably will be mindlessly farming keys between now and then. It's a shame that I just recently farmed keys, did Ubers, got poopy amulets, and told myself I wouldn't do it again. Haha...

    Diablo 3: SkyAndPie#1551
  • SneakmanSneakman Registered User regular
    rwextreme wrote: »
    Around 570ish paragon into S2 with almost all of that play on WD and SMK is still a myth. Around paragon 500 is when I started to submit to the voices in my head and rolled a 2nd WD justifying that I'd have one as Jade and another as pet. Last night I rolled a 3rd after the voices convinced me that nah, you won't be trying to overcome bad RNG in vain with a new WD again and you'll be able to have the third always ready to roll as zdps. I'm sure that if I get one, it will be like S1 and it will drop a week or so before the end of the season - that's how it went down then, gambled one from Kadala and then no later than 30 minutes after in the same game one dropped off a pack.

    If the voices in my head convince me to roll a 4th seasonal WD and justify it because then I could have one always in Helltooth gear... PM me for my address so you can give me a solid beating.

    Heh, that's like me and The Furnace in season 1. I was paragon 575 and found one on literally the last day of the season in the very last T6 rift I ran. I scrambled to farm keys on my barb and was able to clear GR 40 and ranked in the 500s, but it would have been nice to have one earlier to work on getting higher.

    This year it's Unity. I've found 3 Furnaces, 4 Blades of Prophecy and 0 Unities. Found 10 last season. RNGesus please.

    If you want to power level another WD just let me know. And hey, I might just find an SMK for you this season. I've found a Rhen'Ho, Ukhapian Serpent and a Carneval on my Crusader so far, so why not an SMK?

    Diablo 3 | Sneakman#1625 | S9 Multishot Demon Hunter
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII Registered User regular
    Incoming seasonal loot seed conspiracy theory.

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
    Battletag: Threeve#1501
    PSN: Threeve703
  • SkyAndPieSkyAndPie Registered User regular
    rwextreme wrote: »
    Around 570ish paragon into S2 with almost all of that play on WD and SMK is still a myth. Around paragon 500 is when I started to submit to the voices in my head and rolled a 2nd WD justifying that I'd have one as Jade and another as pet. Last night I rolled a 3rd after the voices convinced me that nah, you won't be trying to overcome bad RNG in vain with a new WD again and you'll be able to have the third always ready to roll as zdps. I'm sure that if I get one, it will be like S1 and it will drop a week or so before the end of the season - that's how it went down then, gambled one from Kadala and then no later than 30 minutes after in the same game one dropped off a pack.

    If the voices in my head convince me to roll a 4th seasonal WD and justify it because then I could have one always in Helltooth gear... PM me for my address so you can give me a solid beating.

    Oh man... That's how I felt when I was playing Witch Doctor on non-seasons. I actually, drum roll please, fell for that one post that PaulNG said there seems to be a "loot table" when you roll a new toon. That thread was full of people going, "OH MAI GAWD, I got 5 SMK and 10 FURNACE by making a new WD, SO TRUTHS." So instead of being reasonably sane person and shrugging off this ludicrous notion of loot tables, I made 3 Witch Doctors just to see if I could replicate SMK drops people seem to go on about.

    I finally found one though so I can move on. Not sure if making a new Witch Doctors did anything for it... *Removes tin foil hat*

    Diablo 3: SkyAndPie#1551
  • SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    If I jump back in to non-season, I've decide I'll go with my fem-sader. I'm just gonna need some help getting some Akkhan's, Leroics, Frydehr's Wrath going on, and possibly chaining some grifts to get my gems leveled. I have a non-ancient BoP with 10% CDR that I can gift already.

    B.Net: Saldonas#1623 -- WoW: Viral, Death Knight
    Path of Exile: Carthuun -- https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Carthuun/characters
«13456799
This discussion has been closed.