Options

Disturbance at Lake Webcomics

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    see this is why you bring them the smallpox vaccine, because it's basically just whacking some cowpox in the old bloodstream and calling it a day

try it at home!

Is this in reference to the preventing the smallpox plague in the new world time travel thing we were talking about in the last thread? It's not just whacking some cowpox in the bloodstream. They didn't have any knowledge of germ theory or sterilization in the 1400s. You'd need to advance medical science, and probably science in general by 400-500 years so they'd have the knowledge foundation to execute the techniques safely.

And even though smallpox was mostly wiped out out in the 20th century, it's actually come back as a serious disease because vaccination rates have decreased, so I'm not sure how likely it is that 1400s Europe could actually completely eliminate the disease when we haven't even managed to now. And then there's all the ramifications of giving 1400s Europe such advanced medical knowledge. Intentional germ warfare was definitely not beneath the nations of the time.

latest?cb=20110729174157
    The last naturally acquired case of smallpox was in a Somalian cook named Ali Maow Maalin in October 1977.

[Source]

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Tony was probably a very very different person before Surma died.

Yeah he was kinda weird as a kid, but Surma had to see something in him that convinced her to literally die to have a child with him.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Smallpox is kept under lock and key and ice. It is a biological weapon.

You may be thinking of measles and things of that nature.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Wonder if we'll get more Dresden comics

Those books go some pretty nuts places

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    oh damn yeah I was thinking of measles, my bad! other points still stand though.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    An interesting branch of knowledge to fling into the past would be agricultural techniques. Not even mechanized agriculture, just techniques in crop rotation and growing clover and other "manual" things, to see what an ahistorical food surplus does to a country.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Smallpox is kept under lock and key and ice. It is a biological weapon.

You may be thinking of measles and things of that nature.

I know there is an island on the east coast that so overran with the nasty stuff they politely ask people to stay away

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

And even though smallpox was mostly wiped out out in the 20th century, it's actually come back as a serious disease because vaccination rates have decreased,

Uh, [citation needed]?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    X69Zq4z.jpg

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    April Fools is a fine date

People are just bad at jokes

But the good ones tend to make up for the bad ones imo

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    An interesting branch of knowledge to fling into the past would be agricultural techniques. Not even mechanized agriculture, just techniques in crop rotation and growing clover and other "manual" things, to see what an ahistorical food surplus does to a country.

There is an entire anime about this. I forget the title and it sorta lost the plot after a while, but it was an amusing first few episodes.

The Standard Issue Fantasy World humans are all like, "We are at war with the evil monsters for the sake of goodness and light!"

And the demon queen is like, "Err you know actually I've been doing some reading and looking at things from an economic perspective, I think this conflict really has more to do with your inefficient agricultural systems creating a massive demand for crop land..."

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    But really the first thing that a sudden burst in food production usually does is put a bunch of farmers into the poorhouse. Eventually things even out, but sudden new efficiencies in production are usually pretty rough on the people employed in production.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    For a contest I had to choose one item under twenty pounds I would bring back with me to the Middle Ages.

I chose one of these things because I'm not bringing tech back to spread to the world and muck things up, I'm bringing tech back that lets me legitimately claim to be a wizard.

• Options
    They would burn you for being a witch quickly

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    #1 Final bit of that EN arc, buried in a spoiler.

#2 Pax Romana, while using modern military tech to bump up their side, was really about pushing social and scientific reforms upon the world, backed up by sniper rifles and an unflinching loyalty to the plan and genetic treatments for longevity and against disease. Its a really good comic with an interesting style. Kind of hard to read at times.

#3 I'm curious how a time travel jaunt that uplifted one of the merchant kingdoms in Africa to rise and dominate the continent would fare. The Steam thread had the novel suggestion in a contest about bringing back the scientific method.

#4 got lost on http://nebezial.deviantart.com/ looking for the Twilight/DC SFW sex joke and the Uterus Shield.

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    They would burn you for being a witch quickly

Not if I ingratiated myself to a kingdom first and was made a welcome guest. My plan involves being like Merlin with advice and knowledge.

• Options
    Finally found a comic in his gallery that didn't have a massive pair of T or A and was funny.
    iron_man__s_sucky_day_by_nebezial-d4nr4nu.jpg

Putting in a spoiler because I can't tell how big this will look on other monitors.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Finally found a comic in his gallery that didn't have a massive pair of T or A and was funny.
    iron_man__s_sucky_day_by_nebezial-d4nr4nu.jpg

Putting in a spoiler because I can't tell how big this will look on other monitors.

If we're going through his old stuff, this one's pretty good: (spoilered for size)
    u9fqreu8dmlz.jpg

And this one does make me grin:
    5ykgamnpqkcb.jpg

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Those are some nice faces and...

Those are some nice faces!

• Options
    I have shitty internet and that one would never load. Still trying to find the uterous shield. I also found it funny that in the wonder woman killing spree comic, he mentioned that he and his wife gave up on it.

ggmain20150401.jpg
    I honestly can't tell what Gil's thinking at this point, aside from maybe using the abbots to keep his problems in one place along with himself.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Those are not some nice faces.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I find it really hard to care about whatever plot Gil is up to now

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    The weird glow on nebezial's face throws me off, makes him look like a demonic cabbage patch baby grown up.

• Options
    I say that even though I have less antipathy toward the art than most seem to do in the thread

but promises of conniving are only interesting if the plot adds up to something

if the plots aren't going anywhere because there's actually no author's notes at all, Lost-style, then there's nothing to make schemes work

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ec20150401.png

• Options
    To her friend, while explaining the importance of having cool children...
    1345.jpg

• Options
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    ggmain20150401.jpg
    I honestly can't tell what Gil's thinking at this point, aside from maybe using the abbots to keep his problems in one place along with himself.

If he's aware of what his dad did to him, using the threat of the problems breaking the sanctuary rule would bring could keep that part of him down long enough to do something purely as himself.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    http://xkcd.com/
    XKCD has a fun thing going on at the moment. This quote from Tef in another thread sums it up pretty well.
    Tef wrote: »
    It's like a Social Media Garfield Minus Garfield

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    2015-04-01-fool-for-a-day.png
    Boy that sniffing test, huh? Feel like I've been practicing my whole life for it
    housepetscomic.com

• Options
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    How much you want to bet the solution involves nude or seminude android girl?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Or eloquently dressed realistic body type android girl?

• Options
    It's worst to Diaz so she might be fully clothed

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    the page is a giant closeup of a single bare boob

it's technically sfw because the nipple is an unblinking robot eye

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    1427887500-065.jpg
    I have very few secrets in general as a person, but there are still a few numbers I'm a bit embarassed by. The number of hours I spent playing FFXI, for instance. D;

Let's Speak English

• Options
    FLO
    WER

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote:
    Dis page man, dis damn page... :tell_me_more:
    Gvzbgul wrote:
    TxdRvni.png

www.dumbingofage.com
    I thought this strip was pretty funny in itself, but yeah appearantly there was some backstory that made the whole thing little strange to just make a punchline out of?

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Its not a joke.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    I am a mere 205.74cm and have 49cm wide
    it's so lovely to buy clothes that fit

This discussion has been closed.