As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Age Thread – The third and final story DLC out now on PS4/XBO/PC

2456793

Posts

  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Bassguy wrote: »
    About five months after ME3 shipped, we had three MP DLCs, From Ashes, the Firefight Pack, and Leviathan.

    About five months after DA:I shipped, we only have one MP DLC and one SP DLC (still not on all platforms).

    Kind of a bummer about how little post-launch content we've received so far.

    I'm still hoping for a substantial Awakenings sized expansion. A meatier DLC would explain the delay.

  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Huh. I didn't even know there was DLC for multiplayer in DA:I.

    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »
    Huh. I didn't even know there was DLC for multiplayer in DA:I.

    It added asshole animals that have like 3x as much health and damage as the normal enemies

    steam_sig.png
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    I still havent touched the MP at all, mostly because I cant select Arcane Warrior already.

  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Bassguy wrote: »
    About five months after ME3 shipped, we had three MP DLCs, From Ashes, the Firefight Pack, and Leviathan.

    About five months after DA:I shipped, we only have one MP DLC and one SP DLC (still not on all platforms).

    Kind of a bummer about how little post-launch content we've received so far.

    I'm still hoping for a substantial Awakenings sized expansion. A meatier DLC would explain the delay.

    One of the Bioware staff here, I forget who, said that after finishing DAI they were all completely exhausted, so that would do it.

  • BassguyBassguy Ghost Ride the Dragon Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Sirialis wrote: »
    I still havent touched the MP at all, mostly because I cant select Arcane Warrior already.
    Based on my experience, the best way to get to Arcane Warrior is to go through Threatening over and over. Buy a bunch of chests and salvage as much as you can until you have enough mats to build the armor. Also, you might get lucky, and get it in an item drop. For me, it took somewhere around 4-6 hours of gameplay.

    You could definitely go for Perilous if you have a group of people you can play with, but I've had bad luck getting through it with pubs.

    Bassguy on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    It seems like gear is really rather important to do perilous. Namely the healing ring

    steam_sig.png
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Bassguy wrote: »
    Sirialis wrote: »
    I still havent touched the MP at all, mostly because I cant select Arcane Warrior already.
    Based on my experience, the best way to get to Arcane Warrior is to go through Threatening over and over. Buy a bunch of chests and salvage as much as you can until you have enough mats to build the armor. Also, you might get lucky, and get it in an item drop. For me, it took somewhere around 4-6 hours of gameplay.

    You could definitely go for Perilous if you have a group of people you can play with, but I've had bad luck getting through it with pubs.

    So I have to play Multiplayer to get the thing needed for me to have any desire to play Multiplayer and it will probably take alot of hours - or is seemingly random chance?

    Yeah, I think I'll pass, that sounds like a weird ass design choice, I thought you unlocked Arcane Warrior by doing something in the singleplayer Campaign.

    Sirialis on
  • BassguyBassguy Ghost Ride the Dragon Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Bassguy wrote: »
    Sirialis wrote: »
    I still havent touched the MP at all, mostly because I cant select Arcane Warrior already.
    Based on my experience, the best way to get to Arcane Warrior is to go through Threatening over and over. Buy a bunch of chests and salvage as much as you can until you have enough mats to build the armor. Also, you might get lucky, and get it in an item drop. For me, it took somewhere around 4-6 hours of gameplay.

    You could definitely go for Perilous if you have a group of people you can play with, but I've had bad luck getting through it with pubs.

    So I have to play Multiplayer to get the thing needed for me to have any desire to play Multiplayer and it will probably take alot of hours - or is seemingly random chance?

    Yeah, I think I'll pass, that sounds like a weird ass design choice, I thought you unlocked Arcane Warrior by doing something in the singleplayer Campaign.
    To the best of my knowledge, the SP and MP are completely separate things that don't influence each other.

  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    It's a lot easier than trying to unlock classes in ME3, I'll give them that much.

    Of course, getting (worthwhile) weapons are like 100x harder

    Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    envoy1
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Bassguy wrote: »
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Bassguy wrote: »
    Sirialis wrote: »
    I still havent touched the MP at all, mostly because I cant select Arcane Warrior already.
    Based on my experience, the best way to get to Arcane Warrior is to go through Threatening over and over. Buy a bunch of chests and salvage as much as you can until you have enough mats to build the armor. Also, you might get lucky, and get it in an item drop. For me, it took somewhere around 4-6 hours of gameplay.

    You could definitely go for Perilous if you have a group of people you can play with, but I've had bad luck getting through it with pubs.

    So I have to play Multiplayer to get the thing needed for me to have any desire to play Multiplayer and it will probably take alot of hours - or is seemingly random chance?

    Yeah, I think I'll pass, that sounds like a weird ass design choice, I thought you unlocked Arcane Warrior by doing something in the singleplayer Campaign.
    To the best of my knowledge, the SP and MP are completely separate things that don't influence each other.

    For some reason I thought you got Arcane Warrior by doing something specific in the campaign like when you did a quest in DA Origins to unlock the specialization.

    I guess I'll try the MP and see if its fun, cant hurt to try something new, but the starter classes available dont seem hugely interesting.

    Sirialis on
  • BassguyBassguy Ghost Ride the Dragon Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    It's a lot easier than trying to unlock classes in ME3, I'll give them that much.

    Of course, getting (worthwhile) weapons are like 100x harder
    Healing items also seem a lot more fair in DAMP than in ME3. I often didn't have any healing items going into a match in ME3.

  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I've put some hours into the multi, and I can't say I have much to show for it. The rewards are pretty garbage, as are the large chests. At least for me.

    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
    Spoit
  • BassguyBassguy Ghost Ride the Dragon Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »
    I've put some hours into the multi, and I can't say I have much to show for it. The rewards are pretty garbage, as are the large chests. At least for me.
    It's a pretty good way to spend some time while listening to a podcast or an audiobook or something. Routine and Threatening don't really require a ton of focus.

  • JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    OK, Jaws of Haakon is completely finished. As I said, I'd be very happy with more DLC of this scope for this price -- I probably spent 12-15 hours (if not more) running around and killing stuff and finding things. My only niggling complaint (and this isn't just a Jaws thing): I wish more of the dialogue recognized that I've already beat Corypheus -- at several points, people talked about how much of a threat he is. Ah, well, it's a minor thing.

    Also: Best. Inquisition Agent. Ever.

    lionheart_menvoy1
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Bassguy wrote: »
    About five months after ME3 shipped, we had three MP DLCs, From Ashes, the Firefight Pack, and Leviathan.

    About five months after DA:I shipped, we only have one MP DLC and one SP DLC (still not on all platforms).

    Kind of a bummer about how little post-launch content we've received so far.

    I'm still hoping for a substantial Awakenings sized expansion. A meatier DLC would explain the delay.

    One of the Bioware staff here, I forget who, said that after finishing DAI they were all completely exhausted, so that would do it.

    I also heard that on previous games they were already putting some resources on DLC before the game's launch date. For DAI they were polishing the base game until the last possible minute.

  • DragkoniasDragkonias Registered User regular
    Man doing my second playthrough and real don't feel like doing Wicked Hearts again.

    lionheart_menvoy1Mr.Skar
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Not allowed one? Huh. I just figured it went away because there was no news.

    it turns out when people keep doing things the mods have explicitly said "don't fucking do this" about on multiple occasions threads go away
    Bassguy wrote: »
    About five months after ME3 shipped, we had three MP DLCs, From Ashes, the Firefight Pack, and Leviathan.

    About five months after DA:I shipped, we only have one MP DLC and one SP DLC (still not on all platforms).

    Kind of a bummer about how little post-launch content we've received so far.

    ME3MP was incredibly popular

    DA:IMP is... less so.

    Which is kind of a shame. I enjoyed it but none of my friends were really playing it and trying to finish matches with pugs on the higher difficulties got old real quick.

  • BassguyBassguy Ghost Ride the Dragon Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Not allowed one? Huh. I just figured it went away because there was no news.

    it turns out when people keep doing things the mods have explicitly said "don't fucking do this" about on multiple occasions threads go away
    Bassguy wrote: »
    About five months after ME3 shipped, we had three MP DLCs, From Ashes, the Firefight Pack, and Leviathan.

    About five months after DA:I shipped, we only have one MP DLC and one SP DLC (still not on all platforms).

    Kind of a bummer about how little post-launch content we've received so far.

    ME3MP was incredibly popular

    DA:IMP is... less so.

    Which is kind of a shame. I enjoyed it but none of my friends were really playing it and trying to finish matches with pugs on the higher difficulties got old real quick.
    Anecdotally, I didn't have any trouble finding pub matches last night on the PS4, and I saw a ton of different names. That doesn't mean it's doing well and making money for EA, but at least it still has a decent player base five months out (on at least one platform).

    Also, it's worth considering that ME3 MP's success was bolstered by relatively frequent content updates and single player hooks that pushed users to play MP. DAMP only has three maps, and might as well be an entirely different executable.

    HappylilElf
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Not allowed one? Huh. I just figured it went away because there was no news.

    it turns out when people keep doing things the mods have explicitly said "don't fucking do this" about on multiple occasions threads go away
    Bassguy wrote: »
    About five months after ME3 shipped, we had three MP DLCs, From Ashes, the Firefight Pack, and Leviathan.

    About five months after DA:I shipped, we only have one MP DLC and one SP DLC (still not on all platforms).

    Kind of a bummer about how little post-launch content we've received so far.

    ME3MP was incredibly popular

    DA:IMP is... less so.

    Which is kind of a shame. I enjoyed it but none of my friends were really playing it and trying to finish matches with pugs on the higher difficulties got old real quick.

    One silver lining - I can look at the Dragon Age Inquisition and find info about the game. The ME3 thread pretty quickly became 90 percent multiplayer talk.

  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Not allowed one? Huh. I just figured it went away because there was no news.

    it turns out when people keep doing things the mods have explicitly said "don't fucking do this" about on multiple occasions threads go away

    Eh? The Mass Effect thread was closed because there was no new content or news and there wasn't going to be for a long time, plus MP had died down, too. One early leak isn't enough to resurrect it, though.

    Anyway, everything else about DAMP aside, "random" maps is an okay feature that isn't worth giving up more maps to begin with. It seems crazy that there's still only three. Do interchangeable room maps take that much more resources than set ones, after the system is already in place?

    s7Imn5J.png
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Ok...during Jaws of Hakkon I've realized something. I suck at Cole. Hard. I can't keep him from dying every damn fight. Is there a trick I'm missing out on? Some AI routine/skill that makes him survive?

    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    And ME3MP was basically gears with powers, so there's no real doubt that it'd work well

    steam_sig.png
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    Ok...during Jaws of Hakkon I've realized something. I suck at Cole. Hard. I can't keep him from dying every damn fight. Is there a trick I'm missing out on? Some AI routine/skill that makes him survive?

    I'm pretty sure the default rogue AI is suicidal. I have to go tactical view and babysit them in any challenging battle.

    Spoit
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    Ok...during Jaws of Hakkon I've realized something. I suck at Cole. Hard. I can't keep him from dying every damn fight. Is there a trick I'm missing out on? Some AI routine/skill that makes him survive?

    I'm pretty sure the default rogue AI is suicidal. I have to go tactical view and babysit them in any challenging battle.

    Fixed that for you. Also I had to drop DAMP. The core gameplay is fun but after...um...lemme check...30 hours of mp I have NO healing rings/cool weapons to show off.

    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    SpoitDerrickBobble
  • BassguyBassguy Ghost Ride the Dragon Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    Ok...during Jaws of Hakkon I've realized something. I suck at Cole. Hard. I can't keep him from dying every damn fight. Is there a trick I'm missing out on? Some AI routine/skill that makes him survive?

    I'm pretty sure the default rogue AI is suicidal. I have to go tactical view and babysit them in any challenging battle.

    Fixed that for you. Also I had to drop DAMP. The core gameplay is fun but after...um...lemme check...30 hours of mp I have NO healing rings/cool weapons to show off.
    I can totally see it wearing out its welcome, but I do have to say that I enjoyed being "forced" to play an archer in MP, and I look forward to playing the other classes as I unlock them. It's neat to play builds that I would probably never go with in the single player game.

    Geth
  • envoy1envoy1 Registered User regular
    The good thing about Jaws of Hakkon DLC is that a lot of the battles are genuinely challenging. They got the difficulty (and rewards) right. However, it's a bad thing with AI rogues because yeah, they do die quickly if not constantly monitored.

    JOE_1967
  • DragkoniasDragkonias Registered User regular
    Yeah, Jaws did surprise me a bit because I had to actually pay attention and stuff.

    JOE_1967
  • JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah, Jaws did surprise me a bit because I had to actually pay attention and stuff.

    Those Haakonite bruisers ... And I did have at least one full party wipe against the penultimate boss.

    Dragkoniasenvoy1
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    envoy1 wrote: »
    The good thing about Jaws of Hakkon DLC is that a lot of the battles are genuinely challenging. They got the difficulty (and rewards) right. However, it's a bad thing with AI rogues because yeah, they do die quickly if not constantly monitored.

    I found the same thing when I occasionally switched out a rogue for Iron Bull. Unless you have a shield (or lightsaber), melee is not a great time for anyone.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • BassguyBassguy Ghost Ride the Dragon Registered User regular
    I tend to be super liberal with barriers. In my main run-through, I usually kept two mages in the party specced to keep barriers flowing. But truth be told, that was overkill for Normal. My KE and Cass could just mop up everything all the time no matter what.

  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Got this game for Christmas. Booted it up on Saturday and spent much of that day in the Hinterlands having all kinds of fun as a Mage. Just running around everywhere finding all kinds of hidden secrets and quests. I finished up last night's session in Storm Coast and am about to head over to meet with the Mages because Templars are assholes. Maybe the Mages will be assholes too but for now they're better than Sir I Will Punch This Chantry Woman For No Real Reason.

    For my ascended class I'm doing Knight Enchanter because that sounds really fun to be a melee mage. Not there yet though, I think I need to pick a side in the war and unlike Skyrim there's no option to make both factions shut up and sit down in the face of the greater threat. Unless maybe there is? I'm playing my Inquisitor as someone who is completely lost on what's going on and is the type to live and let live, unless the person she's talking to is hostile or an asshole. She kills the hostile ones and lets the assholes hang themselves on their own hubris, like the one Vivienne dealt with.

    Can I just say Orlais society is really weird with all the masks? Not even good masks, it's like it's Mardi Gras 24/7 without the beads.

  • BassguyBassguy Ghost Ride the Dragon Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Got this game for Christmas. Booted it up on Saturday and spent much of that day in the Hinterlands having all kinds of fun as a Mage. Just running around everywhere finding all kinds of hidden secrets and quests. I finished up last night's session in Storm Coast and am about to head over to meet with the Mages because Templars are assholes. Maybe the Mages will be assholes too but for now they're better than Sir I Will Punch This Chantry Woman For No Real Reason.

    For my ascended class I'm doing Knight Enchanter because that sounds really fun to be a melee mage. Not there yet though, I think I need to pick a side in the war and unlike Skyrim there's no option to make both factions shut up and sit down in the face of the greater threat. Unless maybe there is? I'm playing my Inquisitor as someone who is completely lost on what's going on and is the type to live and let live, unless the person she's talking to is hostile or an asshole. She kills the hostile ones and lets the assholes hang themselves on their own hubris, like the one Vivienne dealt with.

    Can I just say Orlais society is really weird with all the masks? Not even good masks, it's like it's Mardi Gras 24/7 without the beads.
    Orlais is never not awful. It's just the most obnoxious over-the-top France parody I've seen.

    Also, KE is incredibly fun — if a bit overpowered.

    Shadowfire
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Bassguy wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    Got this game for Christmas. Booted it up on Saturday and spent much of that day in the Hinterlands having all kinds of fun as a Mage. Just running around everywhere finding all kinds of hidden secrets and quests. I finished up last night's session in Storm Coast and am about to head over to meet with the Mages because Templars are assholes. Maybe the Mages will be assholes too but for now they're better than Sir I Will Punch This Chantry Woman For No Real Reason.

    For my ascended class I'm doing Knight Enchanter because that sounds really fun to be a melee mage. Not there yet though, I think I need to pick a side in the war and unlike Skyrim there's no option to make both factions shut up and sit down in the face of the greater threat. Unless maybe there is? I'm playing my Inquisitor as someone who is completely lost on what's going on and is the type to live and let live, unless the person she's talking to is hostile or an asshole. She kills the hostile ones and lets the assholes hang themselves on their own hubris, like the one Vivienne dealt with.

    Can I just say Orlais society is really weird with all the masks? Not even good masks, it's like it's Mardi Gras 24/7 without the beads.
    Orlais is never not awful. It's just the most obnoxious over-the-top France parody I've seen.

    Also, KE is incredibly fun — if a bit overpowered.

    A bit, he says. Heh.

    It is fun, though.

    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    KE is a bit overpowered just like Dragons are a bit bigger than nugs.

  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Don't much care about being overpowered. I do Normal difficulty on all my games because the story's my main focus, not challenge. If I have something that will let me crush what stands between me and that story? Oh yeah I'm using it.

  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    KE is a bit overpowered just like Dragons are a bit bigger than nugs.

    Dragons are a bit bigger than Nuggalopes.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Knight Enchanter is also super boring.

    camo_sig2.png

    3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • BassguyBassguy Ghost Ride the Dragon Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Knight Enchanter is also super boring.
    Combining KE powers with other branches of magic makes for great fun. I found it way more dynamic and than my templar play-through.

    Shadowfirehtm
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    It's only super boring if you hammer on the sword key and do nothing else. But when you fire off some lightning at people, use the ice dash to zip into the melee, hack at a couple guys, lure them to you and the fire mine you dropped at your feet, and fade before they hit you with their windup attack then reappear inside their body and do massive damage while knocking them to the floor? It's a pretty good time.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    DerrickSirialis
Sign In or Register to comment.