As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

insta[chat]

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    I'm so old that my dentures are just small rocks.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

we must dissent

who will be the first to cut off their nipple

God, Alpha Centauri was such a kinky game.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    I also think it is amazing that Pillars is still in the top 10 on steam, Is the 2nd most expensive game in the top 10 (only behind ESO which is ranked lower), and has been out for weeks now.

If anyone needed proof that the market wanted a game like this, here ya go.

What's going to be fun is what happens next now that they clearly have made more than the 4 million invested at this point. Possibly a lot more. Whatever sequel they make I really hope they retain the focus of the narrative this game had while expanding the world out a bit more. My biggest complaint is that they did not give me enough open fields and forests and dungeons and non-critpath stuff to do compared to earlier titles, though I fully understand it due to the money they had to work with.

There was a joy in Baldur's Gate in just stumbling upon a tower on a cliffside with a kid trapped in it and a mom willing to pay you to set him free, and doing dozens of micro-quests like this that allowed you to make decisions on how your character would react. It gives you more of the illusion of making your own decisions and your own story.

The game's biggest flaw is the title. How do you make a sequel to a game called Pillars of Eternity? It's Eternity. There is no after - it is eternal.

you work the pillar angle

Pillarer of Eternity 2: Pillar Harder

Pillarder

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Speaking of crowd funding science I looked back at the kickstarter for trying to build a supercomputer to calculate the exact value of PI -- also the end value of the fibonacci sequence.

It's amazing.

okay, i can see someone thinking that maybe pi is just really really really precise

but the fibonacci sequence? wtf

I'm still not totally sure if it's a goof or the dude is just real dumb.

we'll he's smart enough to make $314

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    It's not like final fantasy because the game isn't a pillar of eternity, it's about the pillars of eternity

or something

I'm not entirely clear how the game's name ties into the plot despite 2 playthroughs, I can think of a few things it could refer to
    Really?

Super mega spoilery stuff below
    The pillars of eternity seems to be the manufactured arda structure in which the "gods" reside. You see them every time you seek out the gods towards the end. They also play a part in the gathering and distribution of souls on the great cycle, it would seem.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    need help staying awake

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    See ya, Launch Complex 40! We have lift off, and we are super-sonic!

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I got spoiled by Japan and their split bill ways, you just take your bill up to the cash register, say betsu betsu, and tell them exactly what items on the bill you want to pay for. Standard practice and accepted over there.

Wouldn't dream to try it over here.

Also sup.

well, that works at diners and stuff where you typically pay at the register

but in a fancy place where you expect some subhuman to cater to your every whim you can't be expected to just get up and take care of the bill yourself like an adult person who can do things

They do in France

• Options
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Less than 1 minute now

http://www.spacex.com/webcast/

Bleh, I have enough videos about spa sex saved to my computer already.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Speaking of crowd funding science I looked back at the kickstarter for trying to build a supercomputer to calculate the exact value of PI -- also the end value of the fibonacci sequence.

It's amazing.

okay, i can see someone thinking that maybe pi is just really really really precise

they told me that it was 22 divided by 7
    it struck me that there's not really a reason that equation shouldn't have an end point or repeat
    brought it up with my algebra teacher and she just said that mathematicians had determined it to be infinite and that wasn't a really satisfying answer
    it took bringing that up on an internet forum to be told that that's actually a simplification and that the real equation is some calculus thing

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    maybe we could combine science kickstarter and chaturbate sexytimes

for $150 more I'll get started on the gel electrophoresis and you'll get to decide where I cum

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Someone should make a phone app that you can take a picture of a check, drag items over into piles and send bills to everyone in the party

Shit I should make that I bet that would actually be useful

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I miss my doge. I will drown my sorrows with Lebanese food tonight.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    pillars of eternity seems like a phrase that refers to gods/deities

• Options

All the hugs

• Options
    Main engine cut off, stage 1 has separated and will begin making her way back home! (no live stream available for that activity, I'm afraid)

Stage 2 and the Dragon capsule continue their so-far nominal flight into Low Earth Orbit on way to a rendezvous with the International Space Station <3

• Options
    You've been involved in crowdfunding. Can you imagine what those scientists would have do deal with from their "supporters"?

And what would happen when a lab spends a couple million in crowdfunding money over a couple years only to come up with a negative result? That's good science but backers would flip their shit.

hahaha

DEAR SCIENTIST,

I HAVE BEEN EAGERLY AWAITING AN UPDATE ON THE HORSE DICK CLONING/GRAFTING PROJECT BUT I SEE THAT YOUR TIME HAS RECENTLY BEEN SPENT ON

$125 Reward Tier: Get your very own donkey dick tote bag made out of 100% real donkey dicks.

• Options
    Someone should make a phone app that you can take a picture of a check, drag items over into piles and send bills to everyone in the party

don't steal my idea sloth I have been talking about this for years

(actually yes steal my idea and hurry up and make this thing)

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I got spoiled by Japan and their split bill ways, you just take your bill up to the cash register, say betsu betsu, and tell them exactly what items on the bill you want to pay for. Standard practice and accepted over there.

Wouldn't dream to try it over here.

Also sup.

well, that works at diners and stuff where you typically pay at the register

but in a fancy place where you expect some subhuman to cater to your every whim you can't be expected to just get up and take care of the bill yourself like an adult person who can do things

You pay at the register at even nicer places in Japan, is the trick.

Also you press a button to summon your waiter, they never show up otherwise, which is ideal. Also they bring the check with the meal so you don't need to all them over just for it.

It all runs very smoothly.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »

All the hugs

I'm not sharing my shawarma.

• Options
    Oft-repeated phrase now in r/spacex's live launch discussion:

"Good luck Stage 1"

Trying to make history today, the little office tower that could!

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    maybe we could combine science kickstarter and chaturbate sexytimes

for $150 more I'll get started on the gel electrophoresis and you'll get to decide where I cum

But the cum will always end up on the gel. Every time.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    hahahaha

c=116,0,884,558;w=638;h=403;50051.jpg

in Tonight's episode of Trygdekontoret - The Welfare Office, a really good show, professional robber Pål Enger freely admitted to a 2003 jewelry store robbery because "that's beyond the statue of limitations"

Einar Aas of the Oslo police, in the smaller picture, says to NRK "no it's not, it's 15 years"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I do see that some people from traditionally disenfranchised groups might put the time and effort into building a strong social network, which then could result in more research funding. The bias for social-network-size could then trump the more traditional biases in science. But I don’t think that telling disenfranchised students and scientists to build a large social network to be able to crowdfund their research is the way to go. It might work for some, but the ability and access to build a large social network is, itself, inequitably distributed.

While I see the validity of this argument, I've also seen that coming from a disenfranchised group is a very salient motivator in crowdfunding itself. This sort of crowdfunding is fundamentally charitable in nature, so asking for help in funding specifically on the grounds of being part of a disadvantaged group can be particularly attractive to certain donors; people are funding because they want to help, and if someone needs more help than others then that makes crowdfunders more open to giving.

On top of that, isn't a drive to build a larger social network a pretty crucial component of science itself? Scientific collaboration and the exchange of information between labs is crucial to scientific development, so in some regard telling young scientists that they have to go out and make friends and get popular is in their best interests both in the pursuit of science and just for the sake of being able to navigate academia. You want your papers to catch the eyes of other interested parties not just because that's good for you personally but because that's the entire reason you did the research in the first place; so the people who want/need to know about it can know about it.

I wouldn't argue that the method of funding is nearly unbiased, necessarily, but as far as funding methods go it certainly isn't more unbiased than many other methods that are regularly used.

• Options
    Main engine cut off, stage 1 has separated and will begin making her way back home! (no live stream available for that activity, I'm afraid)

Stage 2 and the Dragon capsule continue their so-far nominal flight into Low Earth Orbit on way to a rendezvous with the International Space Station <3

My spa sex videos have more vajingoz

• Options

Is this the ship where none of the parts are disposable? That's amazing.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    What section of the spacex vehicle is supposed to land on the barge?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    gloves.jpg

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    arent they supposed to land one of these rocket stages back on a floating platform someplace

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    gloves.jpg

Does anyone else find something bizarrely erotic about this image?

Maybe it's the way the glove subtly caresses the sand.

Or how the box looks much like a tissue box.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    gloves.jpg

Does anyone else find something bizarrely erotic about this image?

Maybe it's the way the glove subtly caresses the sand.

Or how the box looks much like a tissue box.

no ur a weirdo

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    if you add a sand glove masturbation area to your game you have to credit dk under creative commons license

• Options

Is this the ship where none of the parts are disposable? That's amazing.

Nothing quite that fancy (Stage 2 will disintegrate in the atmosphere), but the first stage is performing a flyback to land and, in theory, be reusable.

(This one will likely be utterly dismantled to be studied extensively, but proving the capability is the first big step!)

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

don't steal my idea sloth I have been talking about this for years

(actually yes steal my idea and hurry up and make this thing)

Sloth'd

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    What section of the spacex vehicle is supposed to land on the barge?

First stage, a 20 ton, ~150 ft tall, 9-engined behemoth may well soon be landing on a robo-barge floating 350 miles off the coast!

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    wat if the rocket just tips over when they pull the thing back

6 more weeks of winter.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    arent they supposed to land one of these rocket stages back on a floating platform someplace

They're trying to recover the first stage with a soft landing.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Technological advance is an inherently iterative process. One does not simply take sand from the beach and produce a masturbation hand. We use crude tools to fashion better tools, and then our better tools to fashion more precise tools, and so on. Each minor refinement is a step in the process, and all of the steps must be taken.

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular

It's amazing.

but when will someone finally get to the bottom of what happens when you divide by zero

• Options
    gloves.jpg

And this is the kind of work you have to go to China to oversee?

This discussion has been closed.