Options

insta[chat]

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I guess what I'm reacting to is, this seems like an environmental problem to me

we all depend on this state to make us food, and they're (stupidly) obliging in a way that isn't sustainable

so the solution is to a) stop demanding those things that are unsustainable and b) for the state to switch to more sustainable crops

but it seems like this conversation is solely focused on b)

like, strip mining is shitty for the environment, west virginia should stop doing that AND we as a community need to look at our hunger for energy and devise a more sustainable solution

economics and human behavior don't work that way

slavery would have never ended if we relied on northerners voluntarily boycotting cheap southern cotton

override367 on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    i wouldn't describe fallout 3 as a bad game tho just fallout nv is better in literally everyway
    but its ok some people like nwn1 more than nwn2 or kotor1 more than kotor2, we just call those people idiots and say mean things about them whenever possible

I can see liking KOTOR 1 more than 2. 2 is the better game and story, but its very buggy and not very star warsy.

But NWN1 over 2? Going purely on the campaigns, that seems impossible to me. If you factor in community made stuff then it makes sense though.
    iirc spool32 has said he likes nwn1 > 2 because nwn1 had better toolset / multiplayer campaign support or something like that
    but the nwn1 campaign is SO BAD. like, just awful. nwn2's campaign wasn't the best and had a lot of problems (too many companions, ending was awful, felt generic) but nwn1's is just horrible. And the gameplay is terrible too!

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    So far I am enjoying Fallout 3 more than I enjoyed Fallout: New Vegas, which may or may not be a controversial opinion?

I am only a few hours into 3, however, and I very likely could have a chip on my shoulder about New Vegas because I've started so many playthroughs that the first 2-4 hours is such a chore now.

. . .
    . . .
    . . .
    . . .
    . . .

fallout 3 was poop from a butt. Bethesda just did not get the setting.
    The story was dumb.
    The side stories were dumb.

Worse than poop from a butt. At least poop is popular in Germany.

I didn't realize how shitty the vaults were in FO3 until new vegas. The Election Vault. oh my goddddd. all my dicks.

GARY

GARY

GARY
    GARYGARY
    GARYGAR
    ARGARGARYGARYGARYGARYGARYYYYYYYYY

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    i wouldn't describe fallout 3 as a bad game tho just fallout nv is better in literally everyway
    but its ok some people like nwn1 more than nwn2 or kotor1 more than kotor2, we just call those people idiots and say mean things about them whenever possible

I can see liking KOTOR 1 more than 2. 2 is the better game and story, but its very buggy and not very star warsy.

But NWN1 over 2? Going purely on the campaigns, that seems impossible to me. If you factor in community made stuff then it makes sense though.

the OC for NWN1 was dumb yeah but both expansions were excellent.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Who wants to take bets Deeb's babys first word will be "you're a spy!"

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    wandering wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    We should make something like a Patreon but for science, where the general public can directly fund research projects as an alternative to the normal grant process.

Guys, this might legitimately be a good idea.
    It exists!
    https://experiment.com/
    FCC here to rain on parades.

There are several crowdfunding kickstarter like enterprises designed to finance science projects.

There are some really bad things about this.

1) The crowdfunding kickstarter movement grossly misunderstands the amount of money required to run a full time research laboratory that can produce publication quality data. I.E. You will see them fund small projects to the tune of 100k or so. This is chump change for a laboratory and would cover one tech's salary and some reagents for a year.

2) The crowdfunding kickstarter movement gives citizens the idea that government funding is not important if it can be supplanted by crowdfunding. Which is an untenable position. The only way science will ever recover is if governments increase investment in science.

3) The crowdfunding kickstarter movement is frequently in love with the "gentleman scientist" trope which really only supports a very specific and very rich type of person to do science.

4) There is one guy named Ethan Perlstein who says he is an indy scientist but really he is just running a standard biotech startup. He is like Silicon Valley for scientists.

These all are only problems if you envision the system as a replacement for the standard method of scientific funding and not as something that pulls in additional cash.

Obviously this isn't a replacement for government funding.

Point number 2 is probably the most important one I think

especially since Fox News and republicans in general try to push the idea that private industry ever does actual research or innovation when it does not.

Private industry is only good at taking an idea that was developed on the public dime and turning it into a product / carrying it those last couple years to market.

I don't understand this point, though. You're saying we shouldn't be taking in more money because people might take it the wrong way? The solution to ignorance on this point is to say "no stupid, we need both", not to decide that scientific crowdfunding is the problem itself and should be avoided.

Show me evidence that we will get less government funding if we take in additional crowdfunding, because until then I think the fear is unfounded.

I get that you guys are saying that this isn't some perfect solution to our problems or something, but that doesn't mean it can't help.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

iirc spool32 has said he likes nwn1 > 2 because nwn1 had better toolset / multiplayer campaign support or something like that
    but the nwn1 campaign is SO BAD. like, just awful. nwn2's campaign wasn't the best and had a lot of problems (too many companions, ending was awful, felt generic) but nwn1's is just horrible. And the gameplay is terrible too!

NWN2 MOTB was one of the best RPG stories ever

• Options
    I didnt like shadows of undrentide

hordes of the underdark is pretty great but I'm disappointed valsharess didn't go through with her promise to angrily lesbian at my paladin

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    If Twin Peaks season 3 was set in a european medieval city with all the main actors treating it as smalltown USA while all extras speak Dutch it would certainly get a lot of media attention.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Supervising exams is the most boring shit.

• Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    I get really obnoxiously nitpicky about "liking" and "thinking something is good" sometimes, too. If someone was like "man I love two and a half men and Ive seen every episode and it makes me laugh", the only real response I can think of is to say "that is so great Im glad you enjoy it", but if someone said "man I love two and a half men and I think it is the best comedy of all time" I would have no problem being like, well wait youre pretty objectively wrong about this.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    i'm talking about OCs not expansion packs, obviously MOTB is the best thing ever and kaelyn the dove is waifu-prime

supposedly nwn1's expansions are good but the people who say that are probably bioware fans and their judgement can't be trusted

P10 on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

nwn 2 had me make a grizzled old dwarf warlock and then the game goes like "Hey, kid! Come join the village fair! Maybe you'll meet your crush tee hee!"

and from then on it had a steep upwards battle to fight to get me to like it

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

IVE BEEN THE MERLIN THE WHOLE TIME

*disappears in a puff of smoke, maybe a tiny poopie*

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options

NWN2 MOTB was one of the best RPG stories ever

Pillars of Eternity is a lot like MOTB, the world of spirits being a thing that everyone acknowledges and have real power and effects on the world

however POE has an antagonist who is less morally grey (although hes still not black and white)

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    So far I am enjoying Fallout 3 more than I enjoyed Fallout: New Vegas, which may or may not be a controversial opinion?

I am only a few hours into 3, however, and I very likely could have a chip on my shoulder about New Vegas because I've started so many playthroughs that the first 2-4 hours is such a chore now.

. . .
    . . .
    . . .
    . . .
    . . .

fallout 3 was poop from a butt. Bethesda just did not get the setting.
    The story was dumb.
    The side stories were dumb.

Worse than poop from a butt. At least poop is popular in Germany.

I didn't realize how shitty the vaults were in FO3 until new vegas. The Election Vault. oh my goddddd. all my dicks.

GARY

GARY

GARY
    GARYGARY
    GARYGAR
    ARGARGARYGARYGARYGARYGARYYYYYYYYY

such garbage. That and the musical instruments vault. why, bethesda?
    wwwwwwwhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

• Options
    I remember paying the demo for NWN on a display PC in CompUSA a lot. I figured out how to build a character so you could transform into a dragon in the tutorial area and that's as far as I got in the game.

• Options
    i'm talking about OCs not expansion packs, obviously MOTB is the best thing ever and kaelyn the dove is waifu-prime

supposedly nwn1's OC are good but the people who say that are probably bioware fans and their judgement can't be trusted

nah the NWN OC is p bad no matter how you slice it.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    NWN's toolset was so greaaaat

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    Man sometimes I forget the worst thing about saying you like something on the interbutts is just the calvacade of being told the thing you like is bad and you're somehow wrong for liking it.

Opinions!

FO3 is a weird case. It's not just a game. It kind of represents the death and defilement of a truly beloved classic PC RPG. FO:NV was like a love letter to the originals, so when you say that FO3 is better than FO:NV, you are kind of saying that a Bethesda made modern dumb downed game with the name fallout on it is better than the "real" fallout.

,':-[

• Options
    I get really obnoxiously nitpicky about "liking" and "thinking something is good" sometimes, too. If someone was like "man I love two and a half men and Ive seen every episode and it makes me laugh", the only real response I can think of is to say "that is so great Im glad you enjoy it", but if someone said "man I love two and a half men and I think it is the best comedy of all time" I would have no problem being like, well wait youre pretty objectively wrong about this.

you said your opinion of a thing and people responded with theirs, this is called a conversation

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I need to get back into Pillars because it is complicated enough both narratively and gameplay wise that every passing day I have less of a conceptual grasp on both of those things and a higher chance that re-entering the world and game in a meaningful way will just feel like a chore. This happens to like 90% of the games I play.

Week 1: Play 10-20 hours
    Week 2: Play 8 hours in one day
    Week 3: Never again

Woe. Is. Me.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    i mean no one should deny FO3 was not the best it could be but it's nothing to do with its modernity and everything to do with the writers not being on par with the first two games

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Man sometimes I forget the worst thing about saying you like something on the interbutts is just the calvacade of being told the thing you like is bad and you're somehow wrong for liking it.

Opinions!

FO3 is a weird case. It's not just a game. It kind of represents the death and defilement of a truly beloved classic PC RPG. FO:NV was like a love letter to the originals, so when you say that FO3 is better than FO:NV, you are kind of saying that a Bethesda made modern dumb downed game with the name fallout on it is better than the "real" fallout.

,':-[

games are only fun if they're difficult and needlessly complicated

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    also, if any of you tried NWN2 early on and got frustrated with how buggy or laggy it was, the game has benefited a lot from faster computers and a lot of patches. It's in the pack of D&D games which are on sale on GoG right now and is good times.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    I need to get back into Pillars because it is complicated enough both narratively and gameplay wise that every passing day I have less of a conceptual grasp on both of those things and the higher chance that re-entering the world and game in a meaningful way will just feel like a chore.

Woe. Is. Me.
    souls souling souls

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »

you said your opinion of a thing and people responded with theirs, this is called a conversation

no its not

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Tunnel Snakes Rule!

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »

Okay, so get this. Two of my favorite expansions:

First one: leader can pick an extra person on every mission. After everyone chooses success/fail, the leader gets to look at someone's card. that card is not shared with the group and doesn't count towards the mission.

There're also a bunch of extra roles like Body Guard and False Merlin. The Body Guard knows which two players are the merlin/false merlin, but doesn't know who is which.

• Options
    also, if any of you tried NWN2 early on and got frustrated with how buggy or laggy it was, the game has benefited a lot from faster computers and a lot of patches. It's in the pack of D&D games which are on sale on GoG right now and is good times.

i played it all the way through finally sometimes around 2009 and the only problem i had was
    the special ability on your super magic sword didn't actually work so i had to do the final fight without it

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    i kind of want pillars of eternity but i haven't finished divinity yet

• Options
    pillars of eternity is a $20 game to me so i will play it when it is $20

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    @Deebaser registry purchase completed bitches

fuggin on point

ahed of schedule

gud planning

go team hakkebeast

-hakkekage the invites went out on friday. yours is heading to Beast's. They are kawaii as fuck.

I know he sent me a picture last night. Uber cute. Much approve

noice! Also. I watched videos on how to play the resistance expansions. they look super fun. we should get a game 2gether

u gettin in on that One Night Resistance

what is this now?

They're doing some kind of mash-up of One Night Werewolf and Resistance

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Divinity is great because you can utterly break the game with spell mechanics and that's exactly how things should be

I mean you can dump a 100 kilo oil barrel into your poor mage's inventory and have them fling it with teleportation above the enemies heads and detonate it with a fireball

• Options
    @Deebaser registry purchase completed bitches

fuggin on point

ahed of schedule

gud planning

go team hakkebeast

-hakkekage the invites went out on friday. yours is heading to Beast's. They are kawaii as fuck.

I know he sent me a picture last night. Uber cute. Much approve

noice! Also. I watched videos on how to play the resistance expansions. they look super fun. we should get a game 2gether

u gettin in on that One Night Resistance

what is this now?

They're doing some kind of mash-up of One Night Werewolf and Resistance

day one purchase.
    i dont even like one night werewolf

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

Okay, so get this. Two of my favorite expansions:

First one: leader can pick an extra person on every mission. After everyone chooses success/fail, the leader gets to look at someone's card. that card is not shared with the group and doesn't count towards the mission.

There're also a bunch of extra roles like Body Guard and False Merlin. The Body Guard knows which two players are the merlin/false merlin, but doesn't know who is which.

Those are already in Avalon yo -- that first option is pretty cool

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Chanus wrote: »

to be clear i'm not commenting on my perception of the quality of the game

just that it's not the type of game i want to play so badly i'd pay $70 or whatever they're charging for it right now

• Options
    how dare you i'll kill you

just that it's not the type of game i want to play so badly i'd pay $70 or whatever they're charging for it right now
    looks like i. . . made a mistake

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular

I've never really played a baldur's gate like

I'll get it when it's cheaper too

not really my dig

• Options
    access needs a fill down function like excel has

update query will not work in this specific instance

10,000 purchasing categories changed by Ctrl-V, down, Ctrl-V, down, dies

This discussion has been closed.