As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

insta[chat]

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    God new laptops are trying to mimic apple so bad.

Just stop other laptops... put a normal trackpad with buttons.

You're scrub tier, just... just accept it.
    I similarly find this trend disturbing but because apple is scrub tier and other manufacturers need not stoop to their level

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I really really like apple's force touch trackpad. Get the new 13" MBP because it has that.

Other laptop makers still haven't gotten regular trackpads right. Apple is streets ahead already, but they haven't stopped. removing the physical button, adding haptics and shit. Get dunked on, other laptop makers. You are terrible.

yeah, I will not buy a new apple device that does not have force touch and haptics moving forward.

because with its arrival in the trackpads and the watch, if it isn't in this upcoming generation of iPads and iPhones it will be in the next one, and the haptic engine is a game changer for interface.

@spacekungfuman --- get the 13" rMBP if you need a machine now, and definitely bump the CPU and the RAM if you plan on playing Cities: Skylines.

8 gigs of ram is very quickly becoming the baseline.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    cB557 wrote: »

I similarly find this trend disturbing but because apple is scrub tier and other manufacturers need not stoop to their level

next time you are in a best buy walk over and play with the trackpad on the new macbook or 13" rMBP.

It will not make you want to use apple, but it will make you wonder what the fuck everyone else is doing at the moment when Apple is able to pull off straight-up wizardry like this.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    my work computer is fast pew pew pew

poo
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    what happens on olympus mons stays on

olympia mons would be a great stripper name

Biggest [Redacted] in the solar system

her competitor, Mariner's Trench, does not seem to be as popular for some reason

• Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    my next computer will very likely be a big old powerful desktop and a tiny netbook to do word processing on.

• Options
    how are other trackpads so atrocious

poo
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    the awards for norwegian photographer of the year are here

TGQSV9Tg9Q0Xa1nQJloCegwaye9kAz2r1UDnSDp8y7FA

best wedding picture of the year

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

The trackpad from the past apples was pretty awesome.

All the PCs in the past 2-3 years have been trying to mimic it. All have failed.

They decided to go full dumbass and remove their buttons and hope their gesture engine would help.

Nope.

Then they changed the surface of it to be this high grit sand paper type texture.

They just... ugh. Just stop guys. Go back to the early 2000s and pop your buttons back on and pretend like it never happened.

Apple has got this and you never will. It's okay. The people who buy PC laptops aren't really looking for that shit anyways.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    @jacobkosh,

So someone as a joke did an April 1st podcast about a fake Duckman RPG. But the demand became so great that they actual made it. So for all of your sleazy 90's RPG needs.

https://systemmastery.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/duckmanrpg1.pdf

I...Duckman had fans?!

• Options
    fucking hell
    "nah forget about clear, distinct buttons, let's just make it all one big trackpad that does the same thing as having separate buttons except now it's easier to perform an action other than the one you wanted"

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Apparently that death at the Richard Petty driving experience was the result of them using the track in the wrong direction. Speared on a barrier intended to present a low angle impact surface to cars approaching from the opposite direction.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

it's like every other manufacturer decided "let's take the main interface people use with our machine and make it terrible"

and apple decided "let's make our trackpads really, really, really good."

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    a few portraits that also won awards

933kyKAnPqLHwmqA7uMoHQcXXKXn9sEs3odPO1TLEAkggYw0z2iIuVEBeI_VSkE0nQNj83ReRbxPsPosCqK-Uy8Q

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

little things like not registering false positives so well, terrible relations to things like right clicking and scrolling (or wasting a part of the surface for a dumb as hell scroll bar), using mouse-like acceleration for some batty reason when its a completely different interface, too small, poorly placed, all sorts of reasons.

And now you can add "not haptic or pressure sensitive" to the list.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    why does that man have a gun

is this a norwegian shotgun wedding

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    It's always a pleasure to work with apple products once you're familiar with their tech.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    the "fucking hell" was not directed at anyone here I just took way too long to type that out

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    @jacobkosh,

So someone as a joke did an April 1st podcast about a fake Duckman RPG. But the demand became so great that they actual made it. So for all of your sleazy 90's RPG needs.

I...Duckman had fans?!

Yeah. I won't hold it up as being amazing but it could be dirty, smart and could have heart all at the same time. Or I could just have been 12 and really loved a good dick joke then.

• Options
    tho that does not mean you aren't all goin on the list

• Options
    Gooey wrote: »
    why does that man have a gun

is this a norwegian shotgun wedding

shrug

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    This happened

Customer: I have one of those hotbox things and I think I fried it over the weekend

I had to go in the back room to compose myself

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Also the OS environment of windows is really oriented around right/middle clicks a ton, and track pads aren't really for that kind of use.

I mean you can bullshit it a bit, but if you require right click often in your app/os... then it won't mesh well with what Apple is doing.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    This happened

Customer: I have one of those hotbox things and I think I fried it over the weekend

I had to go in the back room to compose myself

Maybe they just got done playing their Intendo Playstation and their brain is a little fried from sitting so close to the TV.

bowen on
  • Options
    @jacobkosh,

I...Duckman had fans?!

Yeah. I won't hold it up as being amazing but it could be dirty, smart and could have heart all at the same time. Or I could just have been 12 and really loved a good dick joke then.

I mean, I haven't seen it in 20+ years so have no strong opinions on it but it's like discovering there is a secret hidden fanbase waiting for the return of Dream On.

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    last weekend my house almost caught on fire

neighbor was grilling, and they apparently haven't grilled very often or much. They decided they were done, so they dumped their hot coals immediately into their city garbage can, which ignited. Fortunately, it was too far out in the yard and away from our connected houses.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    She keeps calling it that. Nobody seems to have the heart to correct her

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    jacobkosh,

I...Duckman had fans?!

I mean, I haven't seen it in 20+ years so have no strong opinions on it but it's like discovering there is a secret hidden fanbase waiting for the return of Dream On.

yeah but dream on had fans

you know what i'm talking about

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    If I do all those upgrades its $800 more than what I was thinking of buying. I just don't know if its worth that vs just getting a new laptop in 2 years.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    @jacobkosh,

I...Duckman had fans?!

I suspect it was more a well presented April's Fool Joke causing excitement rather then the show itself.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

it's like every other manufacturer decided "let's take the main interface people use with our machine and make it terrible"

dcYXC.jpg

Lenovo clitmouse master race.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    kaleedity wrote: »
    last weekend my house almost caught on fire

neighbor was grilling, and they apparently haven't grilled very often or much. They decided they were done, so they dumped their hot coals immediately into their city garbage can, which ignited. Fortunately, it was too far out in the yard and away from our connected houses.

it says NO HOT ASH on every single garbage can in the entire kingdom

also that's what happens when kids aren't pyro enough

a healthy knowledge of how fires work is good

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Also the OS environment of windows is really oriented around right/middle clicks a ton, and track pads aren't really for that kind of use.

I mean you can bullshit it a bit, but if you require right click often in your app/os... then it won't mesh well with what Apple is doing.

right clicking is easier on the apple trackpad than most other trackpads (click with two fingers anywhere), but yeah, there is no middle click on any of the official apple mousing products. I mean, the middle click is in the OS and if you middle click a link in safari or Firefox it opens in a new tab like it is supposed to... but neither the trackpad nor the magic mouse can do that.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2015
    It isn't just touch pads. It's also touch screens. Using even the top end android or windows devices just doesn't feel as accurate or as responsive, and studies have shown that to be true.
    edit: http://venturebeat.com/2013/09/19/apples-iphone-5-touchscreen-is-2-5-times-faster-than-android-devices/

spacekungfuman on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Sectarianism in Revealed Religions, a one act play

"I think the platonic ideal of a fork is actually more rounded, with no little prongs"

"That's a spoon"

"No, no, I think that's what forks really look like; join me in the gospel of the rounded fork"

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    You know what would be nice right now?

Whiskey

Lots of it

• Options
    Upon reflection, I'm 34 and still love a really good dick joke.

• Options

dcYXC.jpg

Lenovo clitmouse master race.
    when i had a lenovo i had this nub and i had no idea why people used that either

poo
This discussion has been closed.